Sign in to follow this  
still holding out for new heroes

Team for Oldham...if fit

Holt

Martin                                 Hoolahan                             MacNamee

Gill                                 Smith

Drury/Wiggins         Askou/Nelson               Doc                    Martin  

Forster

Holt

Martin                                 Hoolahan                             Johnson

Lappin                                 Smith

Askou                      Nelson               Doc                    Martin  

Forster

The above would be my pick. We need Askou back in that back 4 and I think above looks strong and I believe Lappin would get better with Askou nearby.

Must give Johnson his chance after sensational performance last night, dropping MacNamee is tough but away from home would be best as super sub since Ole is more likely to get stuck in midfield do not think we can play Hools and Mac together.

I think Smith and Hughes together in CM need a runout, rest Lappin and give Oli a start in place of Martin.

[quote user="rjwc22"]I think Smith and Hughes together in CM need a runout, rest Lappin and give Oli a start in place of Martin.[/quote]Hughes was awful last night, I really don''t know where he can fit in any formation to be honest.Very lightweight.

[quote user="First Jedi"]GILL?!?!

GILL??!?!

hahahahahahahahaha![/quote]I would rather consider recalling OTJ to be honest lol.

At least it has given us all something to talk about... isn''t it amazing just how many different views we all have?Has brought some life back to this place if nothing else!

Morty and Trent we are agreeing on a lot today. Lambert will probably need to drop an outstanding player. Thats what hes paid for but I wouldnt like his job. Hope he is good at man management as he surely cannot play the system we tried last night. Maybe get another couple of strikers on emergency loan recall Cureton and play 6 up front and 3 at the back - forget the midfield.

In all seriousness though I would go back to Diamond put Korey back in for McNamee ( thats where the man management has to come in as he was superb last night but the only one that could play 442 ) and Wiggins if Lambert rates him. If Lambert is going to drop Rose wouldnt be surprised to see if Wiggins is not rated by Lambert McVeigh or Askou at left back.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="First Jedi"]GILL?!?!

GILL??!?!

hahahahahahahahaha![/quote]I would rather consider recalling OTJ to be honest lol.[/quote]Might not be a bad option Morty...  He seems to have been doing ok for Yeovil.I think that Tudor Jones could still make it here possibly.  Unless we do go up and sign a central midfielder or two, which will knock him further down the pecking order then the opportunity is there for him.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="morty"][quote user="First Jedi"]GILL?!?!

GILL??!?!

hahahahahahahahaha![/quote]I would rather consider recalling OTJ to be honest lol.[/quote]Might not be a bad option Morty...  He seems to have been doing ok for Yeovil.I think that Tudor Jones could still make it here possibly.  Unless we do go up and sign a central midfielder or two, which will knock him further down the pecking order then the opportunity is there for him.[/quote]I watched Hughes in the reserves and I thought he looked unfit and disinterested, last night didn''t change my opinion of him in any way.I may go look at some match reports and see just how well OTJ has been doing.

To be honest ... that 4-2-3-1 could have a bit of life in it. Not sure about Gill, but he cant be any worse than Lappin and Hughes last night. Maybe recalling OTJ is an option. Would much prefer to see Askou or Wiggins than Rose at LB too.

[quote user="Henry"]To be honest ... that 4-2-3-1 could have a bit of life in it. Not sure about Gill, but he cant be any worse than Lappin and Hughes last night. Maybe recalling OTJ is an option. Would much prefer to see Askou or Wiggins than Rose at LB too.
[/quote]

For once this season I have no clue what our best team or formation is. That might actually be a positive thing because teams can no longer read us easily. Steve Tilson got a shock yesterday initally when he set Southend up in a diamond and had to flatten it out to a 4-4-2

Hi smudger what I like about you is that wether I agree or not your opinions are not usually for moving even slightly, however I even sensed you wavering last night between 442 and the diamond and not being your usual decisive self. Honestly last night was a shambles and to play 442 we will need to practice hard for the next 3 days. Our problem is we have some outstanding players that work in some systems and not in others ie Hoolahan is pants in a 442 ( but probably the best player in the league ) a diamond relies effectively on midfielders defending and full backs attacking, not suited to McNamee who was outstanding last night. Wonderfull crosses last night but unfortunately our front 2 were still playing the diamond ie out wide and coming in from Hoolahans diagnol balls but of course Hollahan ( when he managed to stay out wide ) and Mcnamee had on many occassions Holt and Martin standing next to them. At some points last night it looked like a schoolboy game ie where ever the ball went 20 players chased after it. I tell you what I would not like Lamberts job on Saturday because if he played 442 because if thought the diamond was sussed and we could no longer play it heaven knows what he will think about 442. Maybe the answer will be as I have suggested on another thread - get 2 emergency loan strikers recall Cureton play 6 upfront 3 at the back and forget the midfield. I know your opinions on our centre halfs but seriously last night if they ( and R Martin when they had to push forward ) had not played as well as they did this could have turned into another Colchester. The stats are a bit misleading as although they did not have a huge amount of shots there were numerous times when a last ditch tackle stopped a one on one situation.

Lets just settle for 8 /9 more absoloute dire 1 - 0 wins then worry about next year then. Lambert will certainly earn his corn to ensure whatever he does we get the required wins - then he can have a couple of weeks rest and think about wheeling and dealing - who to sell and who to bring in.

Forster GK

Wiggins LB

Nelson CB

Doc CB

Martin RB

Smith Holding CM

Lappin LCM

Mcnamee RCM

Hoolahan in the hole

Johnson FW

Holt FW

Without Rusty we don''t have a like for like replacement. Hughes is too lightweight for that role and at least Smith is full of running and can tackle well.

I didn''t think Lappin played all that well last night but up until then he has been very solid in the middle and has been a key player in our team this season.

Rose looks like a L1 player at best but sadly not a top of the table team. Wiggins deserves a shot after going out on loan to prove his fitness. Lambert got that signing wrong and I hope he is brave enough to correct that sooner rather then later.

Martin deserves a rest, covering for Holt recently and being the focal point of our attack seems to have lost him a bit of sharpness. He''s not being dropped, just rested and can hopefully have a similar effect to Oli coming off the bench.

Forster     R.Martain          Doc               Nelson           Wiggins                             Smith              Lappin/Hughes            McNamee           Hoolahan               C.Martin                                           HoltI still wouldnt start with Oli, but I would bring him on again for the last 15 minute. Rose needs to be dropped as he is affecting the entire team.

Forster

R.Martin    Doc    Nelson      Rose [:(]

Smith             Hughes

C.Martin      Hoolahan     McNamee

Holt

Shame about wiggins going back to bournemouth with Rose not playing well and Drury out.

Bring Johnson on around 70 mins  

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Hi smudger what I like about you is that wether I agree or not your opinions are not usually for moving even slightly, however I even sensed you wavering last night between 442 and the diamond and not being your usual decisive self. Honestly last night was a shambles and to play 442 we will need to practice hard for the next 3 days. Our problem is we have some outstanding players that work in some systems and not in others ie Hoolahan is pants in a 442 ( but probably the best player in the league ) a diamond relies effectively on midfielders defending and full backs attacking, not suited to McNamee who was outstanding last night. Wonderfull crosses last night but unfortunately our front 2 were still playing the diamond ie out wide and coming in from Hoolahans diagnol balls but of course Hollahan ( when he managed to stay out wide ) and Mcnamee had on many occassions Holt and Martin standing next to them. At some points last night it looked like a schoolboy game ie where ever the ball went 20 players chased after it. I tell you what I would not like Lamberts job on Saturday because if he played 442 because if thought the diamond was sussed and we could no longer play it heaven knows what he will think about 442. Maybe the answer will be as I have suggested on another thread - get 2 emergency loan strikers recall Cureton play 6 upfront 3 at the back and forget the midfield. I know your opinions on our centre halfs but seriously last night if they ( and R Martin when they had to push forward ) had not played as well as they did this could have turned into another Colchester. The stats are a bit misleading as although they did not have a huge amount of shots there were numerous times when a last ditch tackle stopped a one on one situation.

Lets just settle for 8 /9 more absoloute dire 1 - 0 wins then worry about next year then. Lambert will certainly earn his corn to ensure whatever he does we get the required wins - then he can have a couple of weeks rest and think about wheeling and dealing - who to sell and who to bring in.[/quote]Yes even I am slightly struggling with what might be the best team to put out for tomorrows game at Oldham.However Mr Lambert has more information than I do on the state of affairs with regard to the fitness of the likes of Askou, Spillane etcSo whatever team he puts out, here''s hoping for another 3 points! [Y]

[quote user="Smudger"]At least it has given us all something to talk about... isn''t it amazing just how many different views we all have?Has brought some life back to this place if nothing else![/quote]

Sounding extremely gay here, Smudge. [:D]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Smudger"]At least it has given us all something to talk about... isn''t it amazing just how many different views we all have?Has brought some life back to this place if nothing else![/quote]

Sounding extremely gay here, Smudge. [:D][/quote]Hey, hey watch yourself... [{][}]How did you guess?  You will have to form an orderly line... Lappinitup is first in the que! [;)]

Forster

R.Martin    Doc    Nelson     Spillane (can''t be worse than Rose)

Mcnamee  Smith      Gill        Lappin

Hoolahan 

Holt

Rest/Drop C.Martin to give him kick up the a*se

I think my preferred option is:

Forster

Martin Doc Askou Rose

Hughes

Smith                Lappin

Hoolahan

Holt                Martin

I thought Tuesday showed that we don''t have the players for 4-4-2. I would give Hughes another chance: he''s a much better player than his awful performance on Tuesday suggested. Lappin is lucky to stay in the side, but I think having McNamee in his place makes us far too lightweight, especially without Russell in the side. Although I wasn''t as impressed with him as many were on Tuesday, McNamee is unlucky to miss out, but he and Johnson give us options off the bench. I''d rather keep Oli on the bench - he seems the perfect sub to come on for 20 mins and run at tired defenders. He''s really raw and I can''t see him being effective for the whole game.

The alternative is to play a flat 4-4-2, with a midfield of McNamee - Smith - Hughes - Lappin, with Wes and Holt up front. I think a little rest and a reminder he isn''t Ronaldo might do Martin good. Hughes and Lappin in the centre of midfield was a disaster on Tuesday, so I''m shuffling it around and getting Korey to put himself about in the middle, allowing Lappin to play in his most natural position.

What all this muddle means is that Tuesday night really confused matters. I''m not sure anyone knows our best team at the moment...

Final alternative:

Forster R.Martin     Doherty      Nelson       Spillane/Askou                              Gill/OTJ             Smith                             McNamee                              Hoolahan                          Holt            MartinSubs:RuddHughesSpillane/AskouJohnsonMcdonaldDawkinsLappinOr                              ForsterR.Martin      Doherty       Nelson      Spillane/Askou                   Smith            Gill/OTJ        Mcnamee                                           Hoolahan                         Holt     MatinSubs:

Rudd

Hughes

Spillane/Askou

Johnson

Mcdonald

Dawkins

Lappin

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]P.s: I don''t see peoples problems with Gill...
Last time he came on as a sub he did well.
[/quote]

Yeh I agree with that

I saw him come on against Millwall at home and he looked ok not great at getting forward but he does shield the back four well

[quote user="NCFC-47"][quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]P.s: I don''t see peoples problems with Gill...Last time he came on as a sub he did well.[/quote]he''s cr*p[/quote]I think it was the millwall home game he came on as a sub and looked clueless!

[quote user="birchfest"][quote user="NCFC-47"][quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]P.s: I don''t see peoples problems with Gill...Last time he came on as a sub he did well.[/quote]he''s cr*p[/quote]I think it was the millwall home game he came on as a sub and looked clueless![/quote]Actually no. He came on for Rusty at half time and had a really good game.