Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Time Martin was benched...

Judging by the away fans reports today of Martin, and from what i on saturday and tuesday i think its time Martin had a rest and Oli was given a start alongside Holt.He''s clearly gone off the boil recently for whatever reason, tiredness perhaps after putting in a shift in Holts absence for 3 games, general tiredness from being ever present this season or something more cynical like signing his new contract and putting his feet up. Who knows the exact reason but I think its time he had a few games off and Oli was given the chance to grab some more headlines like he did v Southend.

Martin was today on the left of a midfield that really didn''t have any idea what structure or shape it should have against a team that was scrapping for its life... he was fine, under the circumstances.  Given his previous, it seems some people are just waiting for him to fail... (not saying you are, BM, just in general)

[quote user="Barclayman"]Judging by the away fans reports today of Martin, and from what i on saturday and tuesday i think its time Martin had a rest and Oli was given a start alongside Holt.He''s clearly gone off the boil recently for whatever reason, tiredness perhaps after putting in a shift in Holts absence for 3 games, general tiredness from being ever present this season or something more cynical like signing his new contract and putting his feet up. Who knows the exact reason but I think its time he had a few games off and Oli was given the chance to grab some more headlines like he did v Southend.[/quote]Seem to recall the last time Oli started he was anonymous (so much so, that no-one seems to remember he has already started a match)...

As i said im going by his recent performances at home and he just looks jaded and typical of the teams below par performance in general, to ensure we keep hammering on we need the bench players like McNamee who are fresh and vying for a starting place to come in and pick up the reigns and keep us pushing on.For whatever reason Martin has looked below his best for 3 or 4 games now and i would hazard a guess the only player, apart from Doc and Forster to have played the full 90 mins week in week out for ages now, cant remember the last time he was subbed or didnt start a game.To keep the tempo up, when it has dropped recently, a couple of fresh faces are needed so McNamee and Oli i think are the ones. Look at the difference Macca has made the last 2 games, set up both winners.Fresh legs are needed.

Martin has played several games having to fill in as the workhorse recently whilst Holt was suspended. Obviously he''s going to be tired- he is still only young, after all. I think with the tiredness has come a drop in return, perhaps not playing at his best and doing things like unnecessarily pushing defenders when he cant be bothered to chase them, getting the crowd onto him.

I don''t like Martin, not entirely sure why but I just don''t. However, I concede that he has done extremely well so far this season and is much improved over previous incarnations- he does need a rest though. Give him a rest when it matters less and hopefully he''ll be back at full-power for the crunch matches in the near future. 

Is this not what happened the last time he got a contract with us? Played his arse off to get the contract and then was a no show...?

I know what you mean, i dont particularily like him, but then again my favorties are normally the crowd pleasers like Huckerby and Hoolahan. I think you tend to develop a fondness for players for certain things they do, like with Hucks he would always produce exciting attacks every time he played, or Gary Holt for example with his 50 yard track backs and sliding tackles.I admit I even had Otsemobor down as one of my favorites purely becuase of the odd time he showed his lighting pace and trickery and whipped crosses, not really expected from a defender by trade.Point is with Martin he doesnt really seem to do much for 89 minutes, but always seems to pop up with an important goal, hence is 20 this season. He has weighed in with a lot of late goals, many of which have either been winners or nails in the coffin. But for the most part drifts in and out of games. And now when the goals have dried up a bit you really notice, just what does he contribute.One thing for me that frustrates me is that for me he''s a poor mans Rooney, i think he''s very similar and if he only had Wayne''s passion and energy he could be a real star. As it is he doesnt appear to ''want it'' enough, i get the impression he doesnt want to be a superstar enough, cause i certainly think he''s got the ability. As i said i think he''s the League 1 Rooney. Very similar skill set i feel, just think that Martin lacks the drive and desire to be a top player like Rooney has.

[quote user="B-ru"]Is this not what happened the last time he got a contract with us? Played his arse off to get the contract and then was a no show...?[/quote]You honestly telling me he''s been a no show since he signed his contract? Also, I don''t think he is anywhere near as anonymous as people have suggested - he was involved with a couple of lovely moves against Southend, and by all accounts, was involved in the move that led to our goal today.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="B-ru"]Is this not what happened the last time he got a contract with us? Played his arse off to get the contract and then was a no show...?[/quote]You honestly telling me he''s been a no show since he signed his contract? Also, I don''t think he is anywhere near as anonymous as people have suggested - he was involved with a couple of lovely moves against Southend, and by all accounts, was involved in the move that led to our goal today.

[/quote]I dont think he was, it was a great ball from Hoolahan to McNamee who crossed to Holt and goal.

[quote user="Barclayman"] As i said i think he''s the League 1 Rooney. Very similar skill set i feel, just think that Martin lacks the drive and desire to be a top player like Rooney has.[/quote]I think that is massively harsh, and would love to know what you base his lack of drive and desire on. He has scored more than his share of goals already this season, and also scored a few vital goals the last time he played for us in the Championship. He''s only 21, so subject to the usual youthful dips in form, but has more than earnt his wages this season, even though it''s only just getting into March. As a comparison, Korey Smith''s performances also don''t quite match his early season promise, but I don''t see people getting at him so much.Let''s face it, it is what I like to call the "Doherty effect" - there''s no real reason people dislike Martin, but it seems he is destined to never be fully accepted by some fans regardless of what he achieves in his Norwich career. Which is a real shame; he is an academy product and a local lad, who is doing really well for us - something many fans have been crying out for in the past few seasons.

[quote user="Barclayman"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="B-ru"]Is this not what happened the last time he got a contract with us? Played his arse off to get the contract and then was a no show...?[/quote]You honestly telling me he''s been a no show since he signed his contract? Also, I don''t think he is anywhere near as anonymous as people have suggested - he was involved with a couple of lovely moves against Southend, and by all accounts, was involved in the move that led to our goal today.

[/quote]I dont think he was, it was a great ball from Hoolahan to McNamee who crossed to Holt and goal.[/quote]Read a few reports that suggest Martin''s run and dummy gave Holt the space to score - it''s not always on-the-ball actions that help in a match as I''m sure we all know! Will reserve judgement and watch the highlights in a few mins to see if this is the case though...

I think Martin is a good player and has his games but i think that Oli definately needs to start in our next game and give Martin a break.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Barclayman"] As i said i think he''s the League 1 Rooney. Very similar skill set i feel, just think that Martin lacks the drive and desire to be a top player like Rooney has.[/quote]I think that is massively harsh, and would love to know what you base his lack of drive and desire on. He has scored more than his share of goals already this season, and also scored a few vital goals the last time he played for us in the Championship. He''s only 21, so subject to the usual youthful dips in form, but has more than earnt his wages this season, even though it''s only just getting into March. As a comparison, Korey Smith''s performances also don''t quite match his early season promise, but I don''t see people getting at him so much.Let''s face it, it is what I like to call the "Doherty effect" - there''s no real reason people dislike Martin, but it seems he is destined to never be fully accepted by some fans regardless of what he achieves in his Norwich career. Which is a real shame; he is an academy product and a local lad, who is doing really well for us - something many fans have been crying out for in the past few seasons.[/quote]Just my personal opinion I.S. I base it by comparing Martin to Hoolahan. Wes works very hard and is always busting a gut to show off and show the world what a great player he is, constantly wants the ball and at times tries to hard to impress, on the odd time this season he''s messed up.I just dont see the same passion from Martin. Im not slating him for no reason, he has been superb this season with his goals and short passing game, i just feel that were not seeing the best of him. And im also suggesting a rest for him is needed.

Is this the same Chris Martin that won young player of the month in January was nominated for the PFA player of the month and is now one of the 5 players nominated for Februarys PFA player of the month? Take it you wont be voting for him then?

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Is this the same Chris Martin that won young player of the month in January was nominated for the PFA player of the month and is now one of the 5 players nominated for Februarys PFA player of the month? Take it you wont be voting for him then?[/quote]

Has he really?

February must have been a poor month across the board if he''s in the top 5.

January was without doubt his best patch of form in a Norwich shirt. Whereas February has been far from it.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Is this the same Chris Martin that won young player of the month in January was nominated for the PFA player of the month and is now one of the 5 players nominated for Februarys PFA player of the month? Take it you wont be voting for him then?[/quote]

Has he really?

January was without doubt his best patch of form in a Norwich shirt. Whereas February has been far from it.

[/quote]

Certainly has link attached

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/NewsDetails/0,,10355~1977143,00.html

[quote user="GJP"]

Has he really?

[/quote]Name me a single first choice player in the squad who has had their "best patch of form" during February? Thought not...Still, let''s drop someone who''s scored 19 goals this season - best way to undermine a young man''s confidence I find... [;)]

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="GJP"]

Has he really?

[/quote]

Name me a single first choice player in the squad who has had their "best patch of form" during February? Thought not...

Still, let''s drop someone who''s scored 19 goals this season - best way to undermine a young man''s confidence I find... [;)]
[/quote]

Ah, hang on a bit here, did I say I wanted him dropped? Did I say that anyone else had played particularly well?

No.

We''re talking about Chris Martin, I merely commented that I don''t think he''s played very well/played at his best in February. Would you disagree?

Martin has been below his best in recent games but the 2 strikers behind him, Mcdonald and Johnson have proved that they are better as impact sub players rather than starting games so I''d stick with what we have!

[quote user="Suffolk exile"]GJP - this thread suggests he should be dropped. And you''ve not exactly distanced yourself from this view until your last post.[/quote]

But I was specifically replying to the post about him being in the top 5 for that award.

Anyway, for the record, in general I''m not into panicking into dropping players who have done well for us. Especially not when they''re playing regularly in a team that wins a large majority of its matches and is top of the league.

Martin is not the best at closing defenders down, which could appear to make him look a bit lazy, but you cannot fault his ability at putting the ball in the net.  I was talking to an Oldham fan on the way back yesterday and he commented that they are playing fairly well, but they do not have a striker who can put the ball in the net.  That is why they are in the bottom four and not top of the league.  Martin will score more goals this season, so if Lambert is happy with him starting, we should be happy as well.  I think Lambert is better placed to know when to rest his younger players, so perhaps we should just get behind Martin.

I think the fact that Oli Johnson came on for him yesterday - will hopefully sharpen his footballing focus.....

Holt is quite clearly not firing on all cylinders at the moment, he admits it.....I think the spark between the two front-runners will re-ignite in the next few games....It''s a blip, nothing more. 

I''m excited about the prospect of Oli and Macker changing games on the run in to the end of the season....and the return of Zak and Drury and Co.....

OTBC...

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Suffolk exile"]GJP - this thread suggests he should be dropped. And you''ve not exactly distanced yourself from this view until your last post.[/quote]

But I was specifically replying to the post about him being in the top 5 for that award.

Anyway, for the record, in general I''m not into panicking into dropping players who have done well for us. Especially not when they''re playing regularly in a team that wins a large majority of its matches and is top of the league.

[/quote]Ah right, jumped the gun there a bit! Sorry! I do agree with you, does seem a little odd he was shortlisted for Feb''s award - I don''t think he''s been at his best, but certainly not as bad as some are making out.

[quote user="Suffolk exile"]GJP - this thread suggests he should be dropped. And you''ve not exactly distanced yourself from this view until your last post.[/quote] On the contrary im suggesting he should be ''rested'', not dropped, theres a big difference.

This does my head in tbh. Im sure some people just have something against martin and basicaly want him to fail. If He''d of scored one Goal Yesterday He would be Fine and would be in the praise, But because He hasnt scored in a few games, He''s lazy, his attitudes wrong, he''s crap, and its all because of his New contract, I remember there was a spell earlier in the season where he went on a barren spell and the same was said. At the end of the day Martins scored 19 goals this season and to even think about given him the critcism he gets is ridicoulous, a Top lad who really wants to do well for himself, and for the People who call the lad Cocky ask yourself this question, Wouldnt you be self cofident if you were his age and in his position?? If you sore chrissy in the street he''d quite happily have a chat, if you sore someone like Curo in the street he''d do his best to avoid you, despite this, Curo''s percieved as a Lovely bloke and Martins perceived as an A- Hole, How does that Work ??

I think the important word often overlooked here is rested. Korey being rested for a period of the game against Southend was clearly of benefit. Unfortunately we don''t have the squad to rest all the players, particularly given we are still winning and getting results for most of the time with a core of players. February has produced some very tired footballers because of the heaviness of the playing surfaces of several pitches. These are not conducive to our passing style of play. Holt has looked out of sorts since returning from his suspension, which is understandable. Not doubt Rusty will be same when he comes back. We have also suffered through the losses of players through injury, not giving Lambert the flexibility to open up his options.We have asked a lot of our team this season and, under Lambert, they have delivered. This is making them tired. Thank goodness we are out of the JPT, FA Cup & Carling Cup or they''d be even more tired and then we''d have a really good reason to be worried.