Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Please learn from that Lambert...

Smudge

My comment was more aimed at the 442 last night.

The 442 with spillane is also a compromise on the right and as you point out highlights we do not have the personnel for a successful 442.  Spillane was played in midfield by previous managers and simply is not good enough on the ball to offer what is needed.  Hughes is a better option there but still far from perfect.

One of your key justifications for playing McNamee on the left of the diamond is that his potent attacking will  over ride any defensive frailities he would introduce. We needed him to do that last night and he did not.   His willingness to track back,  or thinking about it actually move off the ball (we played balls in behind the full back and he did not chase them, he only used his pace when he had the ball at his feet), was non-existant.  With a 3 man midfield he will have to sit deep and contribute defensively; that is even less in his mentality to do  than Huckerbys!    Southend  got behind McNamee too often and were not that scared of him going forward.  If he can learn to defend and work hard (working hard is what propelled us up the t able - we seem to have lost sight of that) then yes he is a good option. At 26 he is unlikely to change his habits now.

As it is the alternatives are an attacking McNamee,  with v limited defensive protection or  Lappin,  who is completely off the boil currently (Drury being absent seems to have affected his form more than anyone) and does deserve to be dropped.  But for 4 months has delivered attacking (7? assists this season) and defensive contributions.  

Both options have serious flaws at the moment - if Lappin can get his form back the balance he brings the team means he stays. 

its a challenge for sat thats for sure!

For sat I would revert to the diamond,  Hughes for Russell and see how he does,  introduce Gill for Hughes if he does not work.   McNamee in the Lappin role and Korey right.  And tell Anthony that he has to grasp his chance - which entails defending too.  OTJ is away from the club for a reason.

The trouble is that leaves a Rose McNamee Nelson left flank - gulp.

And the next biggest issue is should we play holt?   His performances have been shockingly bad - far worse than Lappin, Hoolahan, Martin and as poor as Nelson & Rose over the last couple of games.  If he is injured surely its better to get him functioning than play like this???  And the last 3 games have shattered the importance his presence has on the teams effectiveness.  

I think Holt is there for his influence on the pitch as captain. For that reason PL will more likely stick with him and hope he pulls through this sticky spell. Fitness should be fine - he''s just had a 3 game rest!

I can''t see Lambert putting Macca in Lappin''s role on the left of the diamond. Not to start at least. For the very reason you''ve already given zlf. Rose''s confidence is fragile as it is. Unless he puts Lappin at LB behind Macca. Never liked him there, and he was a liability there in the champ but maybe he''s a safer bet than Rose at the minute.

Do we know if we''re recalling Wiggins? How long is Rose''s loan for?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ref89"]The problem is that Smith obviously needed a rest.  So who would you have played bearing in mind Hughes was always going to be off the pace?

As for the centre halves, tell me where Nelson put a foot wrong, other than when he was trying to cover Roses errors.

You really are not a football genius are you, just a sad keyboard warrior.

[quote user="Smudger"]Lappin has been anonymous since Christmas.

McNamee has proven that he can deliver and be solid down the wing.

I suggest Korey back in for Saturday with Lappin out.

PS - a change at centre half would also be most welcome if any of our other guys are fit enough yet.
[/quote][/quote]

Why did Smith need a rest?  Because he is young?  Did he ask for a rest or did Lambert decide that he needed a rest based on his ProZone stats which clearly showed that he was not doing enough running or making enough tackles and that Simon Lappin was clearly doing so much more than him?

As for Nelson did I say that he put a foot wrong tonight?  It was Doherty that was at fault for their goal along with Rose and Lappin for the attack coming down that side.  It was like the Alamo down that side of the pitch tonight until Lambert pulled that waste of space Lappin off!

[/quote]

it was abundantly clear on Saturday that Smith needed a rest and had run himself into the ground.  If you knew anything about football, you would understand that young inexperienced players need to learn to pace themselves and build up stamina.   Smith plays a high energy game and is still learning his craft.

We were much stronger for his entry though

Spot on, but there is no point trying to convince old captain hatred.  He has got bored of attacking the board, so is now targeting players instead.[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ref89"]The problem is that Smith obviously needed a rest.  So who would you have played bearing in mind Hughes was always going to be off the pace?

As for the centre halves, tell me where Nelson put a foot wrong, other than when he was trying to cover Roses errors.You really are not a football genius are you, just a sad keyboard warrior.

[quote user="Smudger"]Lappin has been anonymous since Christmas.McNamee has proven that he can deliver and be solid down the wing.I suggest Korey back in for Saturday with Lappin out.PS - a change at centre half would also be most welcome if any of our other guys are fit enough yet.[/quote][/quote]Why did Smith need a rest?  Because he is young?  Did he ask for a rest or did Lambert decide that he needed a rest based on his ProZone stats which clearly showed that he was not doing enough running or making enough tackles and that Simon Lappin was clearly doing so much more than him?As for Nelson did I say that he put a foot wrong tonight?  It was Doherty that was at fault for their goal along with Rose and Lappin for the attack coming down that side.  It was like the Alamo down that side of the pitch tonight until Lambert pulled that waste of space Lappin off![/quote]

it was abundantly clear on Saturday that Smith needed a rest and had run himself into the ground.  If you knew anything about football, you would understand that young inexperienced players need to learn to pace themselves and build up stamina.   Smith plays a high energy game and is still learning his craft.

We were much stronger for his entry though

[/quote]

[quote user="Smudger"]The UEA may be a crap venue granted, but it does seem to get a vast number of good bands playing there to their credit.  The UEA attractsand Norwich as a whole probabably attracts far more musical talent than Brighton does or a lot of places are bigger than Brighton and Norwich joined together even.

Brighton obviously has it''s charms and Asobi is also closer to London and all that has to offer also, but he really shouldn''t come across like I am some deluded individual who does not know what a good venue is... I have seen gigs in London, Manchester, Birmingham, Leicester, Leeds, Nottingham.  My fav venues used to be Leeds Town & Country Club (which is no more as far as I know) and De Montfort Hall in Leicester.  Birmingham has a selection of great venues these days though!
[/quote]

I am sorry for offending you smudger, I am sure you know a good venue. But you cant seriously say that Norwich has a better musical talent than Norwich. First of all just look how many bands have come from Norwich then look at Brighton, Brighton have British Sea Power, Maccabees, Fat Boy Slim, Electric Soft Parade, Brakes, The leisure society just to name a few there are plenty more and loads of up and coming bands. so what do Norwich have please don''t say the Kabeedies as I am sorry but they are rubbish!!

Also there are many more venues in Brighton than Norwich. Brighton has, The Hope, Concorde, The Jam, The Dome, Corn Exchange, The Brighton Centre, digital, Hanbury Komedia, Audio, Pav Tav, Engine Room, Komedia, Freebutt, prince albert, latest music bar, duke of york, st George church. And what do Norwich Have UEA, Waterfront, & arts centre.

Brighton also has far much more independent record shops than Norwich with resident the flag ship of Brighton, where they have loads of in store gigs including tunng on Monday, Tunng aren''t even playing Norwich let alone a record store. Plus Brighton has the Great Escape festival. So please how can you cay Norwich has better musical talent??

Have you ever been to Brighton??

Some of the gigs that are coming up in Brighton

[quote user="Asobi Seksu"]So you are only happy if we win 5-0 and play really well. Wake you support Norwich City little norwich city that has never won anything. Go support Manchester United.
[/quote]

Well said!!!

[quote user="Asobi Seksu"]

[quote user="Smudger"]The UEA may be a crap venue granted, but it does seem to get a vast number of good bands playing there to their credit.  The UEA attractsand Norwich as a whole probabably attracts far more musical talent than Brighton does or a lot of places are bigger than Brighton and Norwich joined together even.Brighton obviously has it''s charms and Asobi is also closer to London and all that has to offer also, but he really shouldn''t come across like I am some deluded individual who does not know what a good venue is... I have seen gigs in London, Manchester, Birmingham, Leicester, Leeds, Nottingham.  My fav venues used to be Leeds Town & Country Club (which is no more as far as I know) and De Montfort Hall in Leicester.  Birmingham has a selection of great venues these days though![/quote]

I am sorry for offending you smudger, I am sure you know a good venue. But you cant seriously say that Norwich has a better musical talent than Norwich. First of all just look how many bands have come from Norwich then look at Brighton, Brighton have British Sea Power, Maccabees, Fat Boy Slim, Electric Soft Parade, Brakes, The leisure society just to name a few there are plenty more and loads of up and coming bands. so what do Norwich have please don''t say the Kabeedies as I am sorry but they are rubbish!!

Also there are many more venues in Brighton than Norwich. Brighton has, The Hope, Concorde, The Jam, The Dome, Corn Exchange, The Brighton Centre, digital, Hanbury Komedia, Audio, Pav Tav, Engine Room, Komedia, Freebutt, prince albert, latest music bar, duke of york, st George church. And what do Norwich Have UEA, Waterfront, & arts centre.

Brighton also has far much more independent record shops than Norwich with resident the flag ship of Brighton, where they have loads of in store gigs including tunng on Monday, Tunng aren''t even playing Norwich let alone a record store. Plus Brighton has the Great Escape festival. So please how can you cay Norwich has better musical talent??

Have you ever been to Brighton??

Some of the gigs that are coming up in Brighton

[/quote]No offence was taken Asobi.Yes I have been to Brighton a couple of times and a nice place it is too.Hot Chip were fantastic last night, they must of been to get the UEA morgue rocking!  I agree with you that Norwich has poor venues and it has never created any decent musical talent.  For some reason it seems that decent bands do like playing here though.  Maybe because they feel that they have to target somewhere in this kneck of the woods when they are touring their first couple of albums or so?I agree that The Maccabees are an excellent band who are very under-rated (and they know how to play live too).  British Sea Power are very dull though (just a personal opinion).So just to state plainly for you once more... I never said that Norwich had good musical talent or good concert venues, but for some reason it does attract a lot of decent bands who wish to play here.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

Try being in the UEA library when the music is BLASTING out of LCR!

[/quote]The LCR, otherwise known as the School Hall?The council or somebody locally really should get their act together and provide a decent music venue.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]There is the genuis that is Cathy Denis and that bird who sang shooting stars, oh and Beth Orton.[/quote]Yeah that''s what we mean... ZERO talent.... well at least in the musical/vocals departments anyway!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="city till i die"]like you say lamberts a fan, but hes been left out for a reason, and he has came in because of russell red card, if he wasnt sent of do you reckon he would of played tonight?? and funny enough lambert didnt take out lappin!!! tell you something does''nt!!

[/quote]Yeah it tells me that he is bonkers or that he is having an affair with the King of SPAM if he keeps his place in the team on Saturday after the evidence of tonight! [/quote]lappin starts again smudger!! he must be having an affair then

[quote user="city till i die"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="city till i die"]like you say lamberts a fan, but hes been left out for a reason, and he has came in because of russell red card, if he wasnt sent of do you reckon he would of played tonight?? and funny enough lambert didnt take out lappin!!! tell you something does''nt!!

[/quote]Yeah it tells me that he is bonkers or that he is having an affair with the King of SPAM if he keeps his place in the team on Saturday after the evidence of tonight! [/quote]lappin starts again smudger!! he must be having an affair then[/quote]lol... they must be especially seeing as Lambert finds a place in centre midfield for him.A centre midfielder is Simon Lappin not!

[quote user="ref89"]"Lambert baffled as to reaction of some pillock on the pinkun forum".[/quote]blub, blub, blub... [:''(]It''s a tough world out there...

It amuses me to think that anyone on here actually believes Lambert takes any notice of our posts! We''ve got the best manager we''ve had in ages. We''re top of the league, odds on to win promotion and we''ve got fantastic supporters(mostly). At the moment any team in this division would swap their manager for ours. I think we should back him with every decision he makes, because as much as any of us would like to think we''d do things differently, none of us would be any good at it!

Unless of course any of you are actually Paul Lambert...... come on own up, who is it?!

[quote user="SteakAle"]It amuses me to think that anyone on here actually believes Lambert takes any notice of our posts! We''ve got the best manager we''ve had in ages. We''re top of the league, odds on to win promotion and we''ve got fantastic supporters(mostly). At the moment any team in this division would swap their manager for ours. I think we should back him with every decision he makes, because as much as any of us would like to think we''d do things differently, none of us would be any good at it!

Unless of course any of you are actually Paul Lambert...... come on own up, who is it?![/quote]He obviously does know what is written on here though, even if he does not read it himself.  Just as Gunny knew what was written on here before him (and more than likely Roeder, Grant and Worthy too).He obviously will take little notice of what is said as he is his own man and a strong minded individual.  But I for one believe that Paul Lamber wanted to get McNamee in to the team, but that he was a little wary of the fans reaction both he and more importantly the player might get if he was called up and it backfired after us being on a run which had taken us to the top of the league.I also feel that the winning streak that we have been on has left Mr Lambert little opportunity to play with team selection and that has still left him searching for his strongest 11.Call that criticising if you like, but I call it seeking continual improvement on the excellent foundations that McNally, Bowkett, Lambert, Culverhouse and Crook have already laid.

Does this forum hold any sway?

If you were  the manager which would you read?   pinkun, the official site, WOTB, carrowroad.net or any of the numerous others?  If he looks at all he can surely only glance at a couple of sites?  

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="SteakAle"]It amuses me to think that anyone on here actually believes Lambert takes any notice of our posts! We''ve got the best manager we''ve had in ages. We''re top of the league, odds on to win promotion and we''ve got fantastic supporters(mostly). At the moment any team in this division would swap their manager for ours. I think we should back him with every decision he makes, because as much as any of us would like to think we''d do things differently, none of us would be any good at it! Unless of course any of you are actually Paul Lambert...... come on own up, who is it?![/quote]

He obviously does know what is written on here though, even if he does not read it himself.  Just as Gunny knew what was written on here before him (and more than likely Roeder, Grant and Worthy too).

He obviously will take little notice of what is said as he is his own man and a strong minded individual.  But I for one believe that Paul Lamber wanted to get McNamee in to the team, but that he was a little wary of the fans reaction both he and more importantly the player might get if he was called up and it backfired after us being on a run which had taken us to the top of the league.

I also feel that the winning streak that we have been on has left Mr Lambert little opportunity to play with team selection and that has still left him searching for his strongest 11.

Call that criticising if you like, but I call it seeking continual improvement on the excellent foundations that McNally, Bowkett, Lambert, Culverhouse and Crook have already laid.

[/quote]]

I disagree with some of this Smudge, I doubt he would care less what we think, we want him to win and if he worries about what we think about players, then he is not half the manager I thought he was. But I don''t think that is true, he is too strong minded for that.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="SteakAle"]It amuses me to think that anyone on here actually believes Lambert takes any notice of our posts! We''ve got the best manager we''ve had in ages. We''re top of the league, odds on to win promotion and we''ve got fantastic supporters(mostly). At the moment any team in this division would swap their manager for ours. I think we should back him with every decision he makes, because as much as any of us would like to think we''d do things differently, none of us would be any good at it! Unless of course any of you are actually Paul Lambert...... come on own up, who is it?![/quote]He obviously does know what is written on here though, even if he does not read it himself.  Just as Gunny knew what was written on here before him (and more than likely Roeder, Grant and Worthy too).He obviously will take little notice of what is said as he is his own man and a strong minded individual.  But I for one believe that Paul Lamber wanted to get McNamee in to the team, but that he was a little wary of the fans reaction both he and more importantly the player might get if he was called up and it backfired after us being on a run which had taken us to the top of the league.I also feel that the winning streak that we have been on has left Mr Lambert little opportunity to play with team selection and that has still left him searching for his strongest 11.Call that criticising if you like, but I call it seeking continual improvement on the excellent foundations that McNally, Bowkett, Lambert, Culverhouse and Crook have already laid.[/quote]]

I disagree with some of this Smudge, I doubt he would care less what we think, we want him to win and if he worries about what we think about players, then he is not half the manager I thought he was. But I don''t think that is true, he is too strong minded for that.

[/quote]Then you don''t diagree CIB... read what I said again dear old boy... [8-|]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Does this forum hold any sway?

If you were  the manager which would you read?   pinkun, the official site, WOTB, carrowroad.net or any of the numerous others?  If he looks at all he can surely only glance at a couple of sites?  

[/quote]The Pinkun or the offical site would be the ones where club officals are most likely to take a look and that we have also seen evidence of in the past.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="SteakAle"]It amuses me to think that anyone on here actually believes Lambert takes any notice of our posts! We''ve got the best manager we''ve had in ages. We''re top of the league, odds on to win promotion and we''ve got fantastic supporters(mostly). At the moment any team in this division would swap their manager for ours. I think we should back him with every decision he makes, because as much as any of us would like to think we''d do things differently, none of us would be any good at it! Unless of course any of you are actually Paul Lambert...... come on own up, who is it?![/quote]

He obviously does know what is written on here though, even if he does not read it himself.  Just as Gunny knew what was written on here before him (and more than likely Roeder, Grant and Worthy too).

He obviously will take little notice of what is said as he is his own man and a strong minded individual.  But I for one believe that Paul Lamber wanted to get McNamee in to the team, but that he was a little wary of the fans reaction both he and more importantly the player might get if he was called up and it backfired after us being on a run which had taken us to the top of the league.

I also feel that the winning streak that we have been on has left Mr Lambert little opportunity to play with team selection and that has still left him searching for his strongest 11. Maybe this was the strongest team he could play at the time. He would not worry about what players thought, he is a results man.

Call that criticising if you like, but I call it seeking continual improvement on the excellent foundations that McNally, Bowkett, Lambert, Culverhouse and Crook have already laid.

[/quote]]

[/quote]

Then you don''t diagree CIB... read what I said again dear old boy... [8-|]
[/quote]

I saw the bit about him being strong minded, but I meant that he would not care about our reaction for splitting a winning team, I would suggest that he see''s them on a daily basis and throughout the run, the best team played. Maybe Mcnamee was not training properly or something, the team, especially the midfield worked really well as a unit and he would only change it when there was a suspension or a dip in form, which has been dealt with.

LOL @ the people on here who thinking Lambert is talking about them. Read his actual quote;

Honestly, I hope it never happens, but if we don''t play well or we really get a doing from somebody, God knows what you''ll write - and that''s us at the top of the league.

He was talking to the Press at the time, it''s obvious that it was them that pissed him off.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

LOL @ the people on here who thinking Lambert is talking about them. Read his actual quote;

Honestly, I hope it never happens, but if we don''t play well or we really get a doing from somebody, God knows what you''ll write - and that''s us at the top of the league.

He was talking to the Press at the time, it''s obvious that it was them that pissed him off.

[/quote]What the clueless Archant press reporters who never offer any critical opinion??? [:|]We all know that any opinion that comes from Archant reporters is usually 2nd hand, or even 3rd hand reviews these days.  I suppose that you have a bit of a problem keeping up with the ever moving world of Citizen Journalism Mustcahio???