Sign in to follow this  
city till i die

Dickson Etuhu

currently playing for fulham on itv4 and going threw agaisnt the raining champoins.

how the hell is he playing for a premier league club, one of the worst and most irratating midfeilders i have seen for years, and he still likes pap tonight.

Although people were critical of Dickson and at times Safri, were they better than many thought?  We soon went downhill once these two had left.  Huckerby was critical of their departures at the time.

Roy Keane parted with £1 million for him. He must be a good player given Keane''s eye for talent....

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Although people were critical of Dickson and at times Safri, were they better than many thought?  We soon went downhill once these two had left.  Huckerby was critical of their departures at the time.[/quote]

It was Safri, and Safri only who made that midfield two a succuess.  Etuhu was absolutely useless!  I remember one game, Etuhu was was playing around with the ball and struggling to get it from under his feet and Safri tackled him, played Earnshaw through and he scored!

Duh du du du du duh DICKSON USELESS!

dickson had all the attributes to be a very good player.. i dont think his heart was ever really into it at us.. think he is the type of player that needs motivating alot.. worthy couldnt manage to get the best out of him unfortionatly

I always thought Dickson looked a decent player, had the right stature and athleticism for the modern game. Knew how to score a good goal as well.

Didn''t always play to the best of the ability but he was too quickly and easily written off by some (not good enough for Norwich in the Championship but plenty good enough for a tidy Premier League team with an experienced manager).

[quote user="GJP"]

I always thought Dickson looked a decent player, had the right stature and athleticism for the modern game. Knew how to score a good goal as well.

Didn''t always play to the best of the ability but he was too quickly and easily written off by some (not good enough for Norwich in the Championship but plenty good enough for a tidy Premier League team with an experienced manager).Christiano Ronaldo would''nt be good enough for Norwich if he hardly ever used his obvious abilities!

[/quote]

Rubbish in his first season but got better and better scored almost 10 goals in his final season. A frustrating player though at times he was sublime and at times really poor.

But it appears the penny has dropped and he''s added much needed consistency to his game.

I would say though Fulham are very well organised and he has a specific role in that team which probably helps him

Etuhu could do it for us but only about one good game in 5!

Always got the impression with Etuhu that he saw us as a stepping stone to a bigger club and only raised his game game every so often - Chelsea away in the cup springs to mind when he played out of his skin but couldn''t do that in the League!

We made a massive profit out of him and he certainly hasn''t been missed!

There were three different Dicksons that I saw playing for Norwich in his time at Carrow Road. 

The first Dickson I saw was Quality Dickson. He had pace and power. He scored goals and tackled. He got up and down the pitch. He turned up for one game in five though, but when he did, he bullied the Chelsea midfield or he scored a Berkampesque goal, curling one in from miles out against Cardiff in Peter Grant’s first home game, and really looked the part.

The second Dickson I saw Dreadful Dickson. He ambled around. He was never there, and he always seemed distracted. He turned up for the games that Quality Dickson did not fancy. Dreadful Dickson stood five yards off David Jones as he equalised for Derby at Carrow Road in the cheating Bywater match. Dreadful Dickson walked off to sarcastic applause at Luton in the Lappin 3-2 game and clapped back thinking we were pleased with his work that evening.

The last Dickson I saw was End of Season Dickson. We first caught a glimpse of End of Season Dickson in a Preston shirt (May 2004) as he stormed through Iwan''s last match at Carrow Road, and as if by magic, he appeared towards the end of the season in which Peter Grant took over. A scout in the stand, a buy out clause, clubs sniffing around, agents talking to him and the new mega Sky deal just around the corner are just a few of the reasons for the appearance of End of Season Dickson at Norwich.

Did Peter Grant get him playing, or was it that huge "Prem Sale" poster? With all due respect to our old manager''s motivational abilities, my vote goes to that sign in the shop window.

Look on the bright side. We got £1.5 million for a player who turned up when he felt like it. End of Season Dickson would have soon turned back into Dreadful Dickson, seeing his mates raking in fifteen grand a week and sulking that he had not got his dream move to the Prem.

We were much better off without him and with the cash.

Agree with Tim''s post, though I only ever saw 2 Etuhu''s.(a) "Live on Sky" Dickson, when he played like Frank Lampard(b) "Not Live on Sky" Dickson when he played like Frank Spencer.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]We made a massive profit out of him and he certainly hasn''t been missed!

[/quote]

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

We were much better off without him and with the cash.

[/quote]

Hmm

I''d much rather have had Dickson Etuhu in the team than Mark Fotheringham.

Certainly Etuhu was more talented than Fotheringham but the amount of good games he had for us meant he hasn''t been missed!

We done well getting £1.5M for Etuhu cause he certainly wasn''t worth that much!

[quote user="Tim Allman"]There were three different Dicksons that I saw playing for Norwich in his time at Carrow Road....The first Dickson I saw was Quality Dickson...The second Dickson I saw Dreadful Dickson...The last Dickson I saw was End of Season Dickson...We were much better off without him and with the cash.[/quote]Couldn''t agree more Tim.On his good days he looked like a top class midfielder and I wondered how we''d managed to mug Preston off for such a relatively low transfer fee, the problem as you correctly state was that he only played like this sporadically, and the rest of the time we had a totally ineffective man mountain, aimlessly ambling around the midfield.I remember making a post around that time regarding confidence players, and that Etuhu was a prime example of this in that if he felt wanted and respected by his teammates and that they had total faith in his ability - he''d have a blinder, outside of this the confidence wasn''t there and he felt a bit lost and unsure hence his generally poor performances. The issue was that he wanted this reassurance on virtually a daily basis, and he just didn''t get it as much as he wanted/needed.It takes not only a great manager, but also a very supportive team to get these players playing consistently well, and we never managed to get both of those together properly whilst Etuhu was here, maybe because the players didn''t want to spend all there time ''bigging up'' a teammate just so he''d put some effort in on Saturday - who knows?I still think that we got a damn good fee for him considering these shortcomings, and given the choice again, I''d still sell him on because the amount of ''maintenance'' needed to get these players performing can often outweigh their contribution, especially if it comes at a cost to the team in general.

If we had had Dickson and Safri in central midfield last season would we have gone down without a fight and no midfield bite every game?

[quote user="ref89"]If we had had Dickson and Safri in central midfield last season would we have gone down without a fight and no midfield bite every game?

[/quote]An absolute daft decision to let Safri go, we needed him badly last year.Are our midfiled any better without those 2 an 100% NO WAY

He was a really frustrating player in my opinion.You knew he had the ability there but fo some reason he only really bothered to put in a descent performance abou 1 in 5 games. The other 4 games he would normally be useless

Both Etuhu and Safri wanted to leave City, so there was little point in keeping them. It’s a good bet Etuhu would have returned to his usual disinterested self at the start of the season if he had not got his move away.

Safri and his entourage of advisers caused the board no end of grief when he was at Carrow Road and I doubt there were any tears shed when he left for Southampton.

He was definitely a confidence player.  When he was good you knew about it, but there was never the consistancy there to ever make him a great player unfortunately.