Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

If we make one signing in January it should be......

Sir Bobby Robson as a coach.

It has become increasingly clear that we are unlikely to have any money available to buy a striker who will make a significant difference to the team, so that leaves us needing someone who can get the best out of what we''ve got. And that means tactitical awareness at the highest level, something Worthy has been found wanting on, largely due to lack of experience of managing at this level, and the fact the game has moved on a lot from when he played for Sheff Wed in the old First Division. If you think about it, most of our players are simply good division one players. IF it wasn''t for Huckerby last season, we would still be battling around 6th place in the Championship. The simply truth is our players do not have the first touch, the passing skills or movement to win games in the Premiership. What they do have is effort and guts. So it''s over to Sir Bobby to organise us, give us shape, try and teach the players to pass and move, and maybe we might just survive. If we don''t change something soon, we''ve had it. Thank god WBA hired Bryan Robson that''s all I can say!

You know, of all the strage postings that have appeared on these boards in the last few weeks, this is the most sensible.

What a brilliant idea.

But Worthy would leave straight away, as it would usurp his position as the big man on campus.

Not sure I agree with that one to be honest, the bloke is clearly past his past and in the modern management environment he has not had to work with a limited budget and limited playters. Also much of the coaching at Newcastle was done by other people due to the fact he is very old. I think we need better players on the pitch, just hope we can come up with a gem!

[quote]Why would Bobby Robson come here as a coach ?[/quote]

DD, I''m sure there are many reasons why he wouldn''t but why not just focus on one or two positives why he might. For example, he obviously knows and loves East Anglia very well, he still has a desire to do something associated with football, however, he''s 71 years old and forward thinking clubs are not going to be lining up to give him a top job, because of Sir Bobby''s age it could be positioned as a support tool to Nigel for the remainder of the season. I could go on but I think the idea has merit.

I agree that putting in some additional management knowledge, like venables at bor the other season, would give us the best boost per pound. However I also agree that Worthy simply wont entertain having anyone at the club that he is managing - thats an admission that you are not up to it and that simply isnt going to happen.OTBC

[quote]Sir Bobby Robson as a coach. It has become increasingly clear that we are unlikely to have any money available to buy a striker who will make a significant difference to the team, so that leaves us n...[/quote]

What''s the point in bunging out a load of cash on some old bloke?

The academy boys are being coached the right way and can pass to another member of the team. There was some lovely passing moves put together by the reserves on Monday, we just couldn''t finish them off. Why can''t the first team do it??

Dave Williams should have more input with the first team as Foley and Livermore can''t cut it at this level. I must pop up to Colney one day and watch what they actually do in training, because it seems to me that they are not doing the basics like "pass and move" or much ball work at all.

Of all the things I have seen on these message boards this is the most ridiculous by a country mile. Not sure if it is more ridiculous because is clearly losing his grip on reality or that he is a binner to the core, but the two together and im sure you have all lost your marbles !!!!!

I suggested something similar a while ago and got ignored.. I said someone like Jim Smith or even the boy  Harry, both have experience and know the way around ....But it woul;d be like a kick in the teeth to Worthington as he would be seen to admit that he isn''t uo to it.. and who likes to do that..

KG, don''t be ignorant, there are not many in football that can inspire and motivate like Uncle Bob. His Binner ties mean nothing.

As for Harry Redknapp - no thanks. Last thing we need are wide-boys with itchy chequebook fingers.

think i would prefer John Hartson. I see he is out of contract at Celtic in the summer and can talk to other clubs from January 1st. Wouldnt see him as a long term signing but he would be a useful asset in the months ahead.

Just out of interest, for those who would like Robson here, what capacity would you want him? I doubt he''d come as a coach so the main idea would be a Director of Football figure.  When has this worked in this country?  In the past Liverpool, Sunderland, Tottenham, Fulham, Leicester, Leeds, Aston Villa and more recently Portsmouth have tried it.  And failed.  It doesn''t work.  Sorry.

DD, given our present standing and challenges along with limited financial means compared with many teams that we are competing with, we need to be creative and not lock our thought process into stereotyped boxes. Bobby Robson has a wealth of international experience and contacts, an undoubted eye for young talent, is well-traveled and currently, while 71 years of age, still interested in a football role. If I were in charge of a team with Norwich''s circumstances I would not hesitate to find a creative way of enticing Bobby Robson ( or somebody like him ) to spend several months with us as an executive talent scout. I would give him a salary ( with good incentive clauses ) and a generous expense account and ask him to travel to some of the less-traveled areas of the world with a view to securing a few talented young players that would not exceed the Norwich budget.  Of course, such a move would have to be done without undermining Nigel''s position but, given Bobby''s age and Nigel''s standing with Delia, there is no reason to believe that could not be accommodated. You might ask why would Bobby go for a role like that. People of that age do not have lots of clubs lining up for their services and, if positioned the right way, it could sound very attractive to him for several months, re-visiting some spots that he''s familiar with, while he waits for another club to take him on in a larger role. There will probably be more openings as the end of the season approaches.

I understand we may well have the right kind of staff for this in place now ( you would know this better than me ) but, if we do, we have not been particularly successful in our signings as preparation for the Premiership. Regardless of whether we survive or are relegated my antenna tells me that we need an injection of younger, talented legs to prepare us for the next two to three years.

[quote]What''s the point in bunging out a load of cash on some old bloke? The academy boys are being coached the right way and can pass to another member of the team. There was some lovely passing move...[/quote]

Well Meeky I thought that the performance of the reserves Monday was pretty poor with four internationals on duty for us. There was some pretty passing and thats all it was passing the wrong side of their defence. You need passing and movement to get the other side of the defence.

I do however agree that David Williams should be employed as first team coach as neither  Livermore or Foley has what it takes if not bring in somebody else but certainly not a 71 year old who sometimes forgets where he is.

Please let any signing be on loan, Worthy''s record here is much better than when paying money, I am selectively forgetting Elvis, Bentley and Southall and any others I hasve forgotten.

Aha, do I see some light at the end of the tunnel?  I have been advocating a change in the coaching staff for well over a year now - I do not believe that Livermore is up to the job, never have.  Now I am not saying we should bring in Sir Bobby, I think the great man has had his day now.  Jim Smith, on the other hand, is currently out of work........

Not anymore he isn''t. Just joined Harry at Saints.

But we need a change, and we need one fast - even if we do get relegated, we should stil make a change.

Why is Worthington not up to the job?

He hasn''t had the millions of pounds to spend that every other manager has had. What he has done is make a team that was struggling in Division One after three years of work, compete in arguably the biggest league in the world.

Twomatches aside, you couldn''t fault the effort put in by the players - so Worthington must be doing something with the motivation correctly. What Norwich have lacked, in particular in the fulham game is a little bit of quality. Unless he has access to players with that level of ability how can he, or any other person in the role, be judged against those managers that do?

John

John,

I don''t think too many of us are actually advocating replacing Worthy, it''s more that we feel he needs someone better to work alongside him, such as Jim Smith, Tony Parkes or Uncle Bobby.

Sometime I wish our Manager showed a bit more passion for our game. Watching Bentitez last night as Liverpool were pressing for the xtra goal made me realise what we lack in the way of motivation. Also Steve Gerrard - a skipper who leads by example, the way he was stirring his boys on - how often do you see Adam Drury say ANYTHING? No, Worthy needs injecting with some of what other Premiership Managers get - PASSION. We are too nice.

[quote]Well Meeky I thought that the performance of the reserves Monday was pretty poor with four internationals on duty for us. There was some pretty passing and thats all it was passing the wrong side of t...[/quote]

How the hell do you know Foley and Livermore are not good coaches??. Do you go to the training ground every day, sit in team meetings??. They got us promoted with a squad that was not strongest in the division and they are doing their best in the prem with the worst squad. The Robson suggestion is hardly worth a response - total and utter drivel.

I have advocated keeping worthy for next season whether or not we get relegated - his is good for the club and has earnt his keep well.

However I agree that he is falling short of the standard ability of a prem manager. This is not a sacking matter which would be grossly unfair on worthys actual performance record since he became our manager. As he has a skills issue why is it so odd that we should look to invest in some fast track training by giving him a mentor to lean upon and learn from? Its what happens in many business environments to great effect. Why not football?

However I remain convinced that Worthy would resent & reject any such offer.

OTBC