Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Why Swindon Town won't get automatic promotion

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]

[quote user="naaarwich fan"]Sorry but Swindon will go up and maybe as champions, they along with Colchester are in the best form and there 3 forwards Paynter, Ward and Austin are as good as any in the league. In Charlie Austin they have a player who will probably play for England and in Danny Wilson they have a experienced manager with proven quality at this level. Also i would like them to go up because of my hatred of Leeds, Col U and Charlton.[/quote]

It aint happening - they''ve had their run. Norwich & Leeds need to get lost on the way to several away gam.es and fail to show up to drop enough points for them to get in the running

[/quote]

OK i accept they won''t win the league but there is no chance Leeds will go up the form they are in is awful and a mixture of fans, beckford and rubbish loan signings (sounds familar), have taken them out. Now Col U vs Swindon for 2nd.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Feb 27Leyton Orient (A)-0-0 DRAW
Mar 6Bristol Rovers (H)- 0-4 DEFEAT
Mar 13Brighton (A)
Mar 20Norwich (H)
Mar 27Hartlepool (A)
Apr 3Leeds (A)
Apr 5Tranmere (H)
Apr 10Colchester (A)

2 points dropped[Y]

[/quote]

That''s 5 points dropped, or 1 point from 6[Y]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Feb 27Leyton Orient (A)-0-0 DRAW
Mar 6Bristol Rovers (H)- 0-4 DEFEAT
Mar 13Brighton (A)
Mar 20Norwich (H)
Mar 27Hartlepool (A)
Apr 3Leeds (A)
Apr 5Tranmere (H)
Apr 10Colchester (A)

2 points dropped[Y]

[/quote]

That''s 5 points dropped, or 1 point from 6[Y]

[/quote]

Not in my original list of fixtures -

Mar 9   MK Dons (A) 2-1 DEFEAT

That''s 8 points dropped, only 1 point from the last 9 what a turnaround

[quote user="naaarwich fan"]Sorry but Swindon will go up and maybe as champions, they along with Colchester are in the best form and there 3 forwards Paynter, Ward and Austin are as good as any in the league. In Charlie Austin they have a player who will probably play for England and in Danny Wilson they have a experienced manager with proven quality at this level. Also i would like them to go up because of my hatred of Leeds, Col U and Charlton.[/quote]wrong wrong wrong

Just saw this thread, nice to go back occaisionally. With the benefit of what we know and their remaining games being Col ( a ) Exeter ( h ) Walsall ( h ) Wycombe ( a ) Brentford ( h ) Millwall ( a ) who will finish second now - will it be Swindon.

For info remaining games are

Millwall

Gillingham ( h ) Yeovil ( a ) Huddersfield ( a ) Orient ( h ) Tranmere ( a ) Swindon ( h )

Leeds

Southend ( h ) Carlisle ( a ) Gillingham ( a ) MK ( h ) Charlton ( a ) Bristol Rovers ( h )

Charlton

Southampton ( a ) Col ( h ) Norwich ( h ) Exeter ( a ) Leeds ( h ) Oldham ( a )

I reckon Swindon will do it, but of course should they lose to Col on Saturday different complextion.

One other point should we get to the last day of the season and things are preety much as they are now, meaning Leeds could not get automatic win or lose for them would dictate their semi final opponents. Would they rather play Charlton or a derby with Huddersfield

I am hoping that Swindon can do it.  I think that they are the best team that I have seen us play this season with neither of our games against them being easy.  Danny Wilson has done a fantastic job on a shoestring there and had to replace Simon Cox who was joint leading scorer in this league last season during the summer.  Of course part of me would also like to see Swindon stay down if it means that we can nip in there and get either Charlie Austin or Billy Paynter on the cheap! [;)]

I reckon iof Swindon can keep enough of a gap between them and Millwall to ensure that a draw at the Den on the last game of the season will be enough then they could clinch 2nd.  Anything less and you would have to favour Millwall.  I would not like to be a Swindon fan on the last day whatever the result!

Every game is now effectively a ''cup'' game for them, and they proved at Leeds that they fear nobody and have great firepower. My prediction has always been for them to get second spot and I''m sticking to it.  

Wouldn''t want to be a millwall or swindon fan (apart from for the obvious reasons!) because i really think auto promo will come down to a winner takes all game between the two of them on the final day.

[quote user="Smudger"]I reckon iof Swindon can keep enough of a gap between them and Millwall to ensure that a draw at the Den on the last game of the season will be enough then they could clinch 2nd.  Anything less and you would have to favour Millwall.  I would not like to be a Swindon fan on the last day whatever the result![/quote]For both teams sakes it''d be best if second spot was already confirmed before 8th May ( assuming we''re Champions )If it is all to play for then I''d be quite happy to be a Swindon fan.........as long as I was nowhere near the New Den !! When Birmingham beat them there in the 2002 Play-Off Semi -Final with a last minute winner it was reported that a 900-strong gang went on the rampage causing mayhem in the streets surrounding the ground.I suspect had it been Leeds instead of Birmingham who won there that night they too would have been quite content to have been held back '' for their own safety  '' while the police did battle with the howling mob outside.....