Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Why Swindon Town won't get automatic promotion

Here''s a bit of a prediciton for you.  Swindon won''t go up automatically.  Not only is their away form not fantastic, their next 8 fixtures include 5 away from home and some tricky ones at that and one of their 3 home games is against us.

I can see them dropping quite a few points from their away games and I don''t think they will beat us either. 

Although Swindon have a couple of games in hand, it is points on the board that count.  Swindon''s goal difference is far inferior to ours too.

We have all but reached the 70 point mark and we are still not at the end of February.

I don''t think Swindon will be too far away come the end of the season, I think Leeds have had their big blip and will pick up form and go up automatically along with us.

I still fancy Swindon to go up via the play offs beating Colchester in the play off final.

Feb 27Leyton Orient (A)
Mar 6Bristol Rovers (H)
Mar 13Brighton (A)
Mar 20Norwich (H)
Mar 27Hartlepool (A)
Apr 3Leeds (A)
Apr 5Tranmere (H)
Apr 10Colchester (A)

Hope youre right op as I must say I have been concerned about Swindon for some time. Their last 10 games sees the record won 7 drawn 3 and lost 0. The draws were away to Southend ( their blip ) Huddersfield ( a ) and Charlton ( h ). Away from home they have lost only 3 games all season in the league one of them us and 1 the first day of the season 5 - 0 away to Gillingham. If they should beat the top 4 ( 2 at home 2 away ) I will really worry.

Wouldnt it be ironic however if we were both promoted automatically the teams that lost 5 - 0 and 7 - 1 on the opening day of the season

On current form I certainly don''t think Swindon will worry too much about playing us at their place. I firmly believe that they can get the second automatic spot, and Leeds also have some tough games coming up, and won''t get much at Huddersfield, and could even lose to Brighton at home on current form.   

Let''s focus on ourselves... We''ve got to play them, Huddersfield,Charlton, Leeds,... Let''s negotiate getting through these games ourselves first. We''re going to need to up our game again!

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Let''s focus on ourselves... We''ve got to play them, Huddersfield,Charlton, Leeds,... Let''s negotiate getting through these games ourselves first. We''re going to need to up our game again![/quote]Yes exactly, and given our recent performances and results against top teams such as Millwall and Southampton I would be surprised if we get a draw against them. Plus unless we improve in coming weeks then they could be breathing down our necks given our up coming games...

When we played you at carrow road last year we were very poor, in fact one of the worst performances of the season. We are a much improved and improving team now and i for one cant wait for our game at the county ground. For what its worth i see you going up as champions. yourselves and huddersfield are the best teams we have played this season. leeds were a shambles :) would love to pip them for second spot but as stated we have a tough month coming up. should be an exciting finish to the season though.

I hope they go up, nice to see leeds not go up having been 12 points clear of 2nd earlier in the season! and then next season they would have no beckford wither [;)]

Sorry but Swindon will go up and maybe as champions, they along with Colchester are in the best form and there 3 forwards Paynter, Ward and Austin are as good as any in the league. In Charlie Austin they have a player who will probably play for England and in Danny Wilson they have a experienced manager with proven quality at this level. Also i would like them to go up because of my hatred of Leeds, Col U and Charlton.

[quote user="naaarwich fan"]Sorry but Swindon will go up and maybe as champions, they along with Colchester are in the best form and there 3 forwards Paynter, Ward and Austin are as good as any in the league. In Charlie Austin they have a player who will probably play for England and in Danny Wilson they have a experienced manager with proven quality at this level. Also i would like them to go up because of my hatred of Leeds, Col U and Charlton.[/quote]

Indeed.  Austin scored 46 in 46 for Poole last season after being released by Reading. and has scored 13 in 16 games this season. He is only contracted until the end of the season and we should be looking at stealing him IMO.   

I thought that Austin signed a new contract.

Still think that given some experiance, Cody Mc could do the same job, the difference I suppose is that Austin was in a proper set up at a profesional football club, like Beckford and Phillips, Cody didn''t.

Would love Austin here, but if he doesn''t sign on again for Swindon, then I would imagine he would be at a top end Champ team, actually we shoudl be going for him[:D]

[quote user="naaarwich fan"]Sorry but Swindon will go up and maybe as champions, they along with Colchester are in the best form and there 3 forwards Paynter, Ward and Austin are as good as any in the league. In Charlie Austin they have a player who will probably play for England and in Danny Wilson they have a experienced manager with proven quality at this level. Also i would like them to go up because of my hatred of Leeds, Col U and Charlton.[/quote]Absolute tosh mate. To go up as champions they would need perhaps 92 points so that would require 11 wins out of 15. Simply not going to happen.They will finish with closer to 80 points than 90.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="naaarwich fan"]Sorry but Swindon will go up and maybe as champions, they along with Colchester are in the best form and there 3 forwards Paynter, Ward and Austin are as good as any in the league. In Charlie Austin they have a player who will probably play for England and in Danny Wilson they have a experienced manager with proven quality at this level. Also i would like them to go up because of my hatred of Leeds, Col U and Charlton.[/quote]

Absolute tosh mate. To go up as champions they would need perhaps 92 points so that would require 11 wins out of 15. Simply not going to happen.

They will finish with closer to 80 points than 90.
[/quote]

They''ve won 7 out of the last 10 and drawn the other 3, so surely 11 out of 15 is not beyond the realms of possibility.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="naaarwich fan"]Sorry but Swindon will go up and maybe as champions, they along with Colchester are in the best form and there 3 forwards Paynter, Ward and Austin are as good as any in the league. In Charlie Austin they have a player who will probably play for England and in Danny Wilson they have a experienced manager with proven quality at this level. Also i would like them to go up because of my hatred of Leeds, Col U and Charlton.[/quote]Absolute tosh mate. To go up as champions they would need perhaps 92 points so that would require 11 wins out of 15. Simply not going to happen.They will finish with closer to 80 points than 90.[/quote]

They''ve won 7 out of the last 10 and drawn the other 3, so surely 11 out of 15 is not beyond the realms of possibility.

[/quote]So that would make it 18 wins out of 25 wouldn''t it.That I suggest is way way outside the realms of possibility.

While Swindon are admittedly on a decent run, and are a team to be concerned about, something rather odd is that 7 of their last 10 league games have been at home, and while have 15 left only 6 are at home (with 9 away). Slightly odd, that. Also, 4 of their next 5 are away including tricky trips to Saints and MK Dons.

What is quite ''pleasing'' from a Norwich perspective is that we play them when they will have just played Sat-Tues-Sat-Tues and on the back of 3 away games on the trot. You''d think that they will be rather jaded.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]While Swindon are admittedly on a decent run, and are a team to be concerned about, something rather odd is that 7 of their last 10 league games have been at home, and while have 15 left only 6 are at home (with 9 away). Slightly odd, that. Also, 4 of their next 5 are away including tricky trips to Saints and MK Dons. What is quite ''pleasing'' from a Norwich perspective is that we play them when they will have just played Sat-Tues-Sat-Tues and on the back of 3 away games on the trot. You''d think that they will be rather jaded.[/quote]

That definitely puts a different perspective on their chances of winning so many games, although I think we will do well to get a point at their place..

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="naaarwich fan"]Sorry but Swindon will go up and maybe as champions, they along with Colchester are in the best form and there 3 forwards Paynter, Ward and Austin are as good as any in the league. In Charlie Austin they have a player who will probably play for England and in Danny Wilson they have a experienced manager with proven quality at this level. Also i would like them to go up because of my hatred of Leeds, Col U and Charlton.[/quote]Absolute tosh mate. To go up as champions they would need perhaps 92 points so that would require 11 wins out of 15. Simply not going to happen.They will finish with closer to 80 points than 90.[/quote]

[/quote]So that would make it 18 wins out of 25 wouldn''t it.That I suggest is way way outside the realms of possibility.

[/quote]

Why cant they win18 out of 25? We did...

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="naaarwich fan"]Sorry but Swindon will go up and maybe as champions, they along with Colchester are in the best form and there 3 forwards Paynter, Ward and Austin are as good as any in the league. In Charlie Austin they have a player who will probably play for England and in Danny Wilson they have a experienced manager with proven quality at this level. Also i would like them to go up because of my hatred of Leeds, Col U and Charlton.[/quote]

Absolute tosh mate. To go up as champions they would need perhaps 92 points so that would require 11 wins out of 15. Simply not going to happen.

They will finish with closer to 80 points than 90.
[/quote]

Not really the form NCFC, Leeds, Col U and Charlton are in they could win the league with 85 points which i believe they could get. Personally i think there''ll come runners up to us, hence the reason i said they maybe champions.

Feb 27Leyton Orient (A)-0-0 DRAW
Mar 6Bristol Rovers (H)
Mar 13Brighton (A)
Mar 20Norwich (H)
Mar 27Hartlepool (A)
Apr 3Leeds (A)
Apr 5Tranmere (H)
Apr 10Colchester (A)

2 points dropped[Y]

[quote user="naaarwich fan"]Sorry but Swindon will go up and maybe as champions, they along with Colchester are in the best form and there 3 forwards Paynter, Ward and Austin are as good as any in the league. In Charlie Austin they have a player who will probably play for England and in Danny Wilson they have a experienced manager with proven quality at this level. Also i would like them to go up because of my hatred of Leeds, Col U and Charlton.[/quote]

It aint happening - they''ve had their run. Norwich & Leeds need to get lost on the way to several away gam.es and fail to show up to drop enough points for them to get in the running

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]

It aint happening - they''ve had their run. Norwich & Leeds need to get lost on the way to several away gam.es and fail to show up to drop enough points for them to get in the running

[/quote]As I said, Swindon will do well to get more than 80 points.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]

[/quote]

As I said, Swindon will do well to get more than 80 points.
[/quote]

They obviouly won''t go up as champions but the could well get second spot..... time will tell.