Sign in to follow this  
Flinty

Next season.... (hopefully!)

Do you think that, with the current squad, we can survive in the Championship? Or even better, do a Leicester and be in the playoffs at this time next season.If not, what do you think we need to change?

Flinty

This squad would do well to get into the top half in the Championship, a solid keeper (hopefully FF again), centre mid (unless hughes replaces lappin), and a striker would be needed I should think.

The most interesting thing would be whether Lambert would use the current formation in that division, would we be able to gve Hoolahan a free role as we struggled with that conundrum last season?

Playing staff wise, IMO only Drury,Askou, possibly Whitbread, Russell,Hughes,Hoolahan,Martin would be good enough at championship level, Holt is the $64 million question. At 29 he''s played most of his career at lower league level with only limited success in the championship with Sheff Weds and Forest?.

There would be a lot of strengthening required.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Let''s wait until we get to the Championship first.[/quote]that would be too late then wouldn''t it... [:P]

yeah i think that some changes will need to be carried out. a keeper who isn''t on loan is up on priority list, and i think another Wes type player (play-maker), as if he gets injured, we are in trouble. it''s difficult to decide though, as if it isn''t broke, don''t fix it...but, we''ve got PL and i''m sure he''s upto the job

Flinty

[quote user="Flinty"]Do you think that, with the current squad, we can survive in the Championship? Or even better, do a Leicester and be in the playoffs at this time next season.

If not, what do you think we need to change?

Flinty
[/quote]

I sing and shout as much as the next bloke but lets get there first before we pick our team.

we would neeed a new GK as rudd is not ready yet (loan him out rest of the season or play him when we are up mathematically)

dudry, doc askou are fine - russell martin im still not decided on.

lappin, hooly, russell,smith, hughes, smith that would be ok

holt, martin, cody, ollie - holt and ollie would have to prove it but cody and martin have shown they can score in a ahigher league1

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

we would neeed a new GK as rudd is not ready yet (loan him out rest of the season or play him when we are up mathematically)

dudry, doc askou are fine - russell martin im still not decided on.

lappin, hooly, russell,smith, hughes, smith that would be ok

holt, martin, cody, ollie - holt and ollie would have to prove it but cody and martin have shown they can score in a ahigher league1

[/quote]Have they? They''ve got a combined 6 goals at Championship level, i''m confident Chris Martin will score goals though, give him the ball anywhere near the opposition box and you fancy him to at least test the keeper.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

The most interesting thing would be whether Lambert would use the current formation in that division, would we be able to gve Hoolahan a free role as we struggled with that conundrum last season?

Playing staff wise, IMO only Drury,Askou, possibly Whitbread, Russell,Hughes,Hoolahan,Martin would be good enough at championship level, Holt is the $64 million question. At 29 he''s played most of his career at lower league level with only limited success in the championship with Sheff Weds and Forest?.

There would be a lot of strengthening required.

[/quote]to be fair to Holty he played most of his time on the wing at forrest, not sure of his position at sheff wed and how many games he had/started etc

I''ve got a very strong feeling that we will continue next season in good form with Hoolahan, Holt and Martin proving that they are all better than League One level. Holt has always shown great composure in his finishing, and that will still be a strength at the higher level.

With good organisation and tactics making a team greater than the sum of its parts, as long as Lambert remains I see us only moving onwards and upwards. A top ten finish will be on the cards with the current squad, and undoubtedly we will need a few additions of quality to enable a push for the play-offs, but nothing too drastic will be required IMO.

This thread is a bit silly really because if we do get promoted it all depends on who we sign and if Lambert stays. If we didn''t sign a single player and keept the same squad which of corse won''t happen i think we would be fighting a relegation battle but would just about survive, but hopefully with a few shrude signings by Lambert and a bit of backing from the board i hope we can challenge for the playoffs,realistically though if we make a few sensible signings and improve the squad a bit i think we will be looking at a finish somewhere between 7th-14th, but lets not get ahead of ourselfs.