Sign in to follow this  
Jonncfc

Milk Cup Final - 25th Anniversary Flashback

Although I was standing towards the back at our end at the 1985 Wembley final I remember being surpised when I later saw the televised highlights at the number of Sunderland supporters that had managed to get in to our end as there seemed to be a large number of them massed in the middle at the front.  I was reminded of this when watching the 25th anniversary DVD and wondered how quite that many of them managed to get tickets for our end. 

[quote user="The Anonymous One"]Although I was standing towards the back at our end at the 1985 Wembley final I remember being surpised when I later saw the televised highlights at the number of Sunderland supporters that had managed to get in to our end as there seemed to be a large number of them massed in the middle at the front.  I was reminded of this when watching the 25th anniversary DVD and wondered how quite that many of them managed to get tickets for our end.  [/quote]I stood next to one in our end.Gave me a swig from his bottle of scotch as I recall...

Went to the Sunderland v Leeds cup final in ''73 (the day after our Texaco Cup Final second leg against the scum at Portaloo Road) and due to the public sympathy for the Machems it was estimated they had 70,000 fans there. It was said leading up to the final that the majority of local FA branches around the country (who get a substantial number of tickets for the final) sent all their tickets up to Sunderland. I was in the Leeds end but there were only two segments of their semi-circle that had their fans as the rest were Sunderland. Remember they had a scarf that reached the full way round one end of the ground.

The day of the Bob Stokoe run and hug with Montgomery, only to be superceded by the David Pleat Ministry of Funny Runs at Maine Road a few years later.

The Sunderland supporters were quality that day. We had a good laugh with lots of them and a number congratulated us afterwards. Proper football fans.

There was certainly a block of Sunderland fans to the bottom left as you were looking at the pitch as I somehow found myself in there before the game. They helped me to climb in amongst the City fans to avoid any potential aggro. As people say, they were top fans - no trouble and good chats with them after the game despite their disappointment.

[quote user="The Anonymous One"]Although I was standing towards the back at our end at the 1985 Wembley final I remember being surpised when I later saw the televised highlights at the number of Sunderland supporters that had managed to get in to our end as there seemed to be a large number of them massed in the middle at the front.  I was reminded of this when watching the 25th anniversary DVD and wondered how quite that many of them managed to get tickets for our end. 
[/quote]

If I remember right we played Sunderland in the league at home just before the final and you had to get an aplication form for tickets for the final at that game so I would imagine that Sunderland fans managed to get their hands on some.Brilliant day out.