Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

All time Norwich City legend

Really going to show my age now - We just lost one - Bernard Robinson, the penalty and long throw in king of his day. My boyhood hero was Noel Kinsey as I used to play in his position and I nearly ran him over once in the city! Also, George Ephgrave, I think he was the tallest keeper we ever had and I remember scoring against him at a fete -he could not get down to the low ones easily.
And of course, there are many, many more - I could go on all day.

DD, my top five in no particular order:

ted mcdougall

dale gordon

john deehan

dave watson

hucks

guess all these choices only tell you just how many oldies are on this board     

In no particular order are

Keelan - inspired my love of keepers
Woods - so far the only city keeper I have seen who was better than keelan - and a top bloke too when I met him.
Deehan - lived across the road from Woods and where I first worked - top bloke too.
Drinkell - sublime finisher
Reeves - class goalscorer
Mike Walker - took us to some truly great heights
Sutton - simply in another class and should have been a regular England international
Crook - how our current midfield could learn passing from him.
Bowen - best left back with a terrific goalscoring record - shows Eddy what quality defending and attacking is all about
Gunny - over-rated as a keeper (his antics gave my grandfather a heart attack!) but top top bloke truly with City at his heart.

OTBC

Has anyone mentioned Jeremy Goss? I agree with many of the other names but Jerry contributed THOSE goals (particulalry Leeds, Liverpool and Bayern *2) which will live long in the memory. Seeing the equaliser at home against Bayern  and the post match celebrations still sends shivers down my spine.

Another missed off the list...Dave Watson the most commanding centre half we ever had.

Still remember him scaring a Sunderland player at Milk cup final by charging across the pitch to tackle him but by the time he had got there the Sunderland player had decided there it wasnt in his interests to try for the ball even tho he was odds on to win it. Think it was Clive Walker!

Well I had to think hard but here go''s1. Martin Peters 2. Steve Bruce if only for the goal in the 85 semi- final my best footie moment ever.3.Jimmy Nairbour (wrong spelling I know)4.God himself ROBBIE FLECK.

Keelan, Crook and Huckerby. Keelan was the best in the world before keepers were really valued, Crook could see and execute a pass like no-one else, and Hucks got us into the Premiership.

Keelan - the greatest keeper we ever had

Gunn - the complete professional and a damn fine bloke

Woods - pushing Keelan hard!

Channon - if only for his goal celebrations!

Reeves - gifted and my first real City hero

Sutton - with who we could have gone so far

Fleck - wee Rabbie, used to look as though he was about to explode and ran his heart out for the team

Drinkell - what would we give for a player of his calibre now??

Deehan - See above!

Bruce - I taped the Radio Norfolk commentary of that game - poor old Roy nearly died that night!

Watson - the best defender we have ever had

Crook - the best passer of the ball I have seen in City colours

Fashanu - if only for that goal - long may his memory live on for that goal alone - poor chap.

Roberts - See Fleck & Gunn - professional, gave his all for the club.

What worries me is that at the moment (and I would have to give Huckerby a couple of seasons) is that there are no contenders in the current side for the title of "legend" - perhaps that''s indicative of the squad that we currently possess...

Are we talking who''s simply played well for us or who also best represents the club spirit?  Because surely someone like Bruce was excellent but had zero loyalty to the club (apparently he even said he''d have walked on his knees all the way from Norwich to Manchester for the chance to play for Man U).

Regardless of whether this attitude is understandable or not for someone in that position, this type of player certainly wouldn''t get my vote for all-time City legend. 

By contrast Hucks, for example, does have the makings of one - has the right loyalty, skill, and sheer impact on the club & team, but hasn''t quite been here long enough in my book - yet!

Players like Gunn and Fleck have shown all the above plus they stuck around for hundreds of games. To cap it all, where possible these heroes are still heavily involved with the club and/or locality.