Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

All time Norwich City legend

I was thinking the other day:  Who is your all time Norwich city legend?  It doesn''t have to be the best player you''ve seen or the most influential.  Just the player who you''ve seen and thought "I''ll never forget this guy".  As I have only been going to FCR on a regular basis for the last 11 years, my choices are a bit limited so I apologise to older players I have missed out.  My choices however are:

1. Gunn - Mr Norwich City.  The photo of him and Goss arm in arm after Bayern will stay imprinted in my memory
  2. Eadie- A very talented player who was at the club during a very dark period. Sold prematurely but brought happiness to fans.
  3. Iwan - Mr Norwich City the second!  Despite a rocky start Iwan kept us in the first division for many years.  He will always have a place in my heart

I mulled over putting Hucks in there too.  I have never known a player to come into a club and transform the squad, fans and entire city!  Oh what the hell:

4. Hucks

So who''s yours?

You read my mind Peter!!  But I would also add  Channon & Deehan to that list, purely because that was around the time that I lived in Sprowston and my dad used to take me to games, even though he is an Evertonian!!  Great days & happy memories!! 

My favourite DD without question is Dave Stringer, who both as a player and later as Manager was quite excellent, even when in semi retirement he was a great Youth Team coach for us.

Added to him I would say Duncan Forbes who was the the old fashioned, "unpassable"  stalwart centre half and who is still doing good work for city.

For me it would have to be Justin Fashanu.

Probably just because he was our star player when I was a teenager standing on the Barclay and because he scored goals for fun and was as hard as nails.

One memory that always sticks with me was when he came and stood with the Norwich fans in the middle of the Barclay stand for a game when he wasn''t playing.

At that time racism at football grounds was at least 50 times the problem that it is today and sad to say that way back then Norwich had their fair share of racist idiots. I think that just by doing that Justin actually made some of them realise how brain dead they were being by abusing opposition black players when there were black players in the Norwich team.

Showing my age but in my formative years it was Kevin keelan and Ted Macdougall/Phil Boyer that I idolised.

Other key talismans have to be Mark Barham, Dale Gordon, Robert Fleck, Chris Sutton for the season he couldn''t stop scoring, Justin Fashanu (god rest his soul) for THAT goal (and I was right behind it as it flew in), Iwan Roberts and Brian Gunn.

Does this mean I''m wallowing in the past a bit here - who will we look back on in the current and recent past based team with the same perspective? Hucks and Greeno definitely but any others?

Robert Fleck definately! I was only young when he was in his pomp and he scored both goals at the first match I ever went to so he was an absolute hero. I was so gutted when he went to Chelsea. 

Gorleston Jim,  did Norwich play against Gorleston back in the 80''s to celebrate new floodlights at their ground? I have a hazy memory of such a game, but can''t be sure.

[quote]Gorleston Jim, did Norwich play against Gorleston back in the 80''s to celebrate new floodlights at their ground? I have a hazy memory of such a game, but can''t be sure.[/quote]

westoncanary, I have an equally hazy recollection of this,

I know they did come down to play for some reason,

I seem to remember also that Martin Peters was in the Gorleston team.

[quote]I was thinking the other day: Who is your all time Norwich city legend? It doesn''t have to be the best player you''ve seen or the most influential. Just the player who you''ve seen and thought "I''ll ...[/quote]

DD: Sorry mate, but I''m going to cheat, well I would wouldn''t I?.

1. Mike Walker!. I told you I''d cheat!.

2. Ron Davies

3. Hugh Curran

4. Robert Fleck

5. Tommy Bryceland

6. Bunny Larkin

7. The God Huckerby!.

8. Barry Butler.

9. Kevin Keelan.

10. Sandy Kennon.

I know you asked for just one, but I just can''t do it!. I will never forget these players, well you did ask my friend!.

Can''t believe you''ve ALL missed the obvious one!!

KEVIN KEELAN!!!!!!!!!!

Regarded by many as the best keeper never to be capped by England, he was a great character, flambouyant and an outstanding goalie. Over 600 appearances speaks for itself.

In the League Cup Semi Final games v Man. Utd. in 1975 he got us to Wembley with a series of top saves, the instinctive stop from Macari or McIlroy''s header (can''t remember which one) in the second leg in front of the Barclay was stunning. Showing my age here, but The Cat was THE TOP CANARY.   

Gunn comes a pretty close second but you''d have to give it to Keelan.

Out field player would be Martin Peters.

The two Martins, Peters & O''Neil. Andy Townsend, Terry Allcock and we could do with the likes of MacDougall and Sutton up front right now.

Fleck

Gunn

Crook

But as with most people, that just reflects my era really.  Check out

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/Content/Sport/CanaryCentenary/asp/GreatPlayers.asp 

and

http://www.canaries.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HallOfFame/0,,10355,00.html 

for some alternative perspectives.  However on purely statistical terms it''s got to be these guys:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/Content/Sport/CanaryCentenary/players.asp.

[quote]Showing my age but in my formative years it was Kevin keelan and Ted Macdougall/Phil Boyer that I idolised. Other key talismans have to be Mark Barham, Dale Gordon, Robert Fleck, Chris Sutton for the...[/quote]

I suspect we''re all picking players from our impressionable teenage years - and could probably narrow that down further to our school days. It fits with me - like Gorleston Jim I could probably nominate most of the boys of ''72 - Keelan, Stringer, Forbes, Paddon, Foggo, Cross, Silvester, Bone, heros all.  They really did raise us into an altogether higher orbit, they changed the landscape and our expectations. Things were never the same again after ''72.

Goal Gunny

Left back Bowen

Centre half Fleming subs Butterworth

Centre half Linighan subs Malky

Right back Eddy subs culverhouse

Left wing phillips/huckerby

Centre Mid Judas Townsend

Centre Mid Ian Crook Subs Francis 

Right Wing Eadie

Forward Iwan subs Super Leon

Forward Flecky need I say anymore

There is no way Eddy is a better player than Culverhouse was!  The guy was pure class at right back and even better when he played in the sweeper position.  Bowen and Culverhouse are the best pair of full-backs I have ever seen, better than Dixon & Winterburn IMO.  They were good at the back but gave us so much going forward as well.