Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

1 down & 5 across the front with 15 min to go away from home...!

Salute that man. Paul Lambert''s got tactical nous and balls of steel. Yes sir! 5 up front with 15 minutes to go when 1-0 down. Crunch time! Then back to 4 after scoring 2.

Pity the 5 was only for a few minutes!!!!! But pragmatism must rightly rule in the end. 

We used to line up, like most then, as a notional 5-3-2 when I first started watching City in 1959. The 5 in my first match  at Carrow Road  (we scored 3 in the first 12 minutes!!!) was Crossan-Allcock-Bly-Hill-Brennan. Of course, by that time the this notional 5-3-2 had pretty much morphed into a de facto 4-2-4 with a deep-lying inside forward and an attacking wing-half  as the midfield duo - the other inside forward played effectively as the supplementary striker  and the other wing-half (defensive wing-half) as part of the defensive unit. Brazil then went on to win the 1962 World Cup with a formal 4-2-4 and England the 1966 World Cup with a 4-3-3 (Ramsay''s wingless wonders!).

We must do all we can to hold on to this man and his coaching staff, and maintain the momentum that he, Bowkett and McNally are creating.

Shakespeare wrote ''There is a tide in the affairs of men, which taken at the flood leads on to fortune, omitted......'' 

One love.

OTBC

Lambert isn''t the first manager to do the 5 up front. I remember Worthy did it quite a few times.  It will only work if the team has confidence, like they do now and did in the last promotion winning season.

No matter who the manager was, I think if we had gone 5 up front away from home last season we would have been punished.  And I believe it is the same for Leeds at the moment, after their recent poor form, I don''t think they have the confidence to go to a 3-2-5 formation.

[quote user="dhickl"]

Lambert isn''t the first manager to do the 5 up front. I remember Worthy did it quite a few times.  It will only work if the team has confidence, like they do now and did in the last promotion winning season.

No matter who the manager was, I think if we had gone 5 up front away from home last season we would have been punished.  And I believe it is the same for Leeds at the moment, after their recent poor form, I don''t think they have the confidence to go to a 3-2-5 formation.

[/quote]

Shhhhhhhhh....

He brought on Sutch in the play-off final. That''s all you need to remember for now[;)]

[quote user="dhickl"]

[/quote]Just a shame that was never in the Premiership season eh?!?

[quote user="Tony DaWonderful"][quote user="dhickl"]

[/quote]
Just a shame that was never in the Premiership season eh?!?
[/quote]

Would''ve gone down a storm in League One though[;)]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Salute that man. Paul Lambert''s got tactical nous and balls of steel. Yes sir! 5 up front with 15 minutes to go when 1-0 down. Crunch time! Then back to 4 after scoring 2.

Pity the 5 was only for a few minutes!!!!! But pragmatism must rightly rule in the end. 

We used to line up, like most then, as a notional 5-3-2 when I first started watching City in 1959. The 5 in my first match  at Carrow Road  (we scored 3 in the first 12 minutes!!!) was Crossan-Allcock-Bly-Hill-Brennan. Of course, by that time the this notional 5-3-2 had pretty much morphed into a de facto 4-2-4 with a deep-lying inside forward and an attacking wing-half  as the midfield duo - the other inside forward played effectively as the supplementary striker  and the other wing-half (defensive wing-half) as part of the defensive unit. Brazil then went on to win the 1962 World Cup with a formal 4-2-4 and England the 1966 World Cup with a 4-3-3 (Ramsay''s wingless wonders!).

[/quote]Indeed, although (from dim memory) I think Hill (who was the deep-lying

inside forward) played further forward than - say - Bryceland did in

occupying that position a few years later.

This was part of a slow shift in football generally towards more defensive, or safety-first, tactics.

Bly, though, with respect, is I think not quite right about Brazil adopting 4-2-4 to win the 1962 World Cup.

They had started using that system as early as 1956 or 1957 and won the

''58 World Cup with it. And even in that team they used only one

out-and-out winger, in Garrincha. Zagalo, on the left, was a Simon

Lappin-style workhorse. (NB. No equation of talent is indicated by that

comparison...)

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="dhickl"]

[/quote]

Shhhhhhhhh....

He brought on Sutch in the play-off final. That''s all you need to remember for now[;)]

[/quote]

My advice to everybody is leave this thread well alone as now Nutty has appeared it has every chance of running until next Friday with 20 pages and 300 posts!

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="dhickl"]

[/quote]

Shhhhhhhhh....

[/quote]

My advice to everybody is leave this thread well alone as now Nutty has appeared it has every chance of running until next Friday with 20 pages and 300 posts!

[/quote]

I was just looking at your facebook picture fromm Brighton yesterday where you were having your breakfast. I reckon if you''d really tried you could''ve fitted another baked bean on your plate[:O][+o(]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="dhickl"]

[/quote]

Shhhhhhhhh....

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was just looking at your facebook picture fromm Brighton yesterday where you were having your breakfast. I reckon if you''d really tried you could''ve fitted another baked bean on your plate[:O][+o(]

[/quote]

[:D]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

Yep, old football was shite.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="dhickl"]

[/quote]

Shhhhhhhhh....

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kathy does not like baked beans,does that help?Thought you might have commented on a certain other photo though.

"We used to line up, like most then, as a notional 5-3-2 when I first started watching City in 1959. The 5 in my first match at Carrow Road (we scored 3 in the first 12 minutes!!!) was Crossan-Allcock-Bly-Hill-Brennan. "

Bly,

Then in the mid sixties I was watching Heath, Bryceland, Bolland, Davies and Punton.

In fact, when I see Hoolihan I am reminded of Tommy Bryceland.

ND

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Only a small man would hold such an opinion.

Dear of dear.

OTBC

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="dhickl"]

[/quote]

Shhhhhhhhh....

[/quote]

[/quote]

So if we followed your advice all nutty would have to do to stop a thread is react to a mention of Worthy? Or invoke his namesake.

Wrong move.

[;)]

OTBC

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Thought you might have commented on a certain other photo though.[/quote]

Ahh that other photo Tilly. I would love to comment on it.

It''s the surest sign yet we are all back on th same side and harmony is restored[Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

It''s the surest sign yet we are all back on th same side and harmony is restored[Y]

[/quote]

We always were on the same side it was just that we did not agree with some things that were said and the way they were carried out.What do they say Nutty...a week is a long time in football.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[:''(]

OTBC

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

We always were on the same side it was just that we did not agree with some things that were said and the way they were carried out.What do they say Nutty...a week is a long time in football.

[/quote]

Nooooooooooo!! Don''t tell me it could all change again in a week! Give ''em a fortnight at least[;)]

Was Delia there?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dear of dear.

OTBC

[/quote]

But it was, absolute crap... I think it was a Harry Enfield sketch that summed it up brilliantly. Let''s face it, they were not the athletes of today, the ball weighed half a ton, the boots and kit were a hinderance, there was no real tactics and the pitches would be unplayable in today''s age.

Only a small man....

WTF is that supposed to mean?

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dear of dear.

OTBC

[/quote]

But it was, absolute crap... I think it was a Harry Enfield sketch that summed it up brilliantly. Let''s face it, they were not the athletes of today, the ball weighed half a ton, the boots and kit were a hinderance, there was no real tactics and the pitches would be unplayable in today''s age.

Only a small man....

[/quote]

You''ve got your clock mixed up. Pre-war I''d say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7NNiTJ5Vh4

Observe well.

No heavy kit - what they''re wearing wouldn''t look took out of place today. Hard toed, hard leather boots with hammer in studs and needing weekly dubbin were well gone by 1959. Balls used in league football were no longer particularly heavy (although not todays beachballs) and, I believe no longer carried laces. The pitches look pretty ok in the pictures to me - not carpets but not too bad. Carrow Road was always pretty good. No real tactics? Tell that to Archie Macaulay or Alf Ramsay - both master tacticians. Ramsays 4-3-3 pretty much led the world between say 1965-1970.

Notice plenty of women and children mixed up in the crowds, rattles and rosettes, no barriers or barbed wire. Pre-hooliganism was a pretty good time to be a spectator - even at the rain/snow/wind exposed River End or  sweeping Wembley terraces.

It''s never clever to try to trash the past. It was what your foreparents went though to build the preent for you.

There was good and bad in the past --- just as there is good and bad today.

Those who forget their past are doomed to repeat their mistakes in the future.

Narrow-mindedness is an attribute of many small men. OK?

But still. One love.

OTBC 

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dear of dear.

OTBC

[/quote]

Only a small man....

[/quote]

You''ve got your clock mixed up. Pre-war I''d say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7NNiTJ5Vh4

Observe well.

No heavy kit - what they''re wearing wouldn''t look took out of place today. Hard toed, hard leather boots with hammer in studs and needing weekly dubbin were well gone by 1959. Balls used in league football were no longer particularly heavy (although not todays beachballs) and, I believe no longer carried laces. The pitches look pretty ok in the pictures to me - not carpets but not too bad. Carrow Road was always pretty good. No real tactics? Tell that to Archie Macaulay or Alf Ramsay - both master tacticians. Ramsays 4-3-3 pretty much led the world between say 1965-1970.

Notice plenty of women and children mixed up in the crowds, rattles and rosettes, no barriers or barbed wire. Pre-hooliganism was a pretty good time to be a spectator - even at the rain/snow/wind exposed River End or  sweeping Wembley terraces.

It''s never clever to try to trash the past. It was what your foreparents went though to build the preent for you.

There was good and bad in the past --- just as there is good and bad today.

Those who forget their past are doomed to repeat their mistakes in the future.

Narrow-mindedness is an attribute of many small men. OK?

But still. One love.

OTBC 

[/quote]

Pretentious drivel yet again.

Ignoring the "jumpers for goalposts" rubbish;

Really? Perhaps they should have tried a bit harder...

No shit, Sherlock.

Well, that will be just about everyone because from what I can see the same old mistakes happen again and again.

Means absolutely nothing, just another bit of your brain crap spilling out...

Anybody remember the more recent Spurs team under Ozzie Ardlies when he started with 5 up front!!!!

|From recollection;

Barmby, Sheringham, Klinsmann, Anderton, Dumitrescu

Altho i may have got that a little wrong.

[quote user="Blainsey"]

Anybody remember the more recent Spurs team under Ozzie Ardlies when he started with 5 up front!!!!

|From recollection;

[/quote]

No.

But tell us what happened.......[:)]

OTBC

For what it is worth, I think this must take the Graham Paddon''s Beard "How Far Can We Take A Thread Off Topic" Award for February. It starts with a comment about 5 up front, passes through how many baked beans you can get on a plate, a tear jerkingly wonderful patching up of differences between two old stagers. We are then treated to a carefully put together argument about how any football prior 2003 was rubbish. Great Stuff, one and all. And with some Shakespeare thrown in!

[quote user="Blainsey"]

|From recollection;

[/quote]I very much remember that team, and going to Carrow to watch them soundly beat us (I think it was 3-1 but it could have been more). What a team! I''d forgotten Dumitrescu. They were everywhere, running off the ball, our defence was totally bamboozled.