Sign in to follow this  
bosster

is huckerby really good enough??

i dont no how any person who knows anything about football could call this player overrated. he terrorises defences creates goalscoring oppertunities all game. it could even be said that he is the best forward outside the premiership.

I do sincerly hope this thread is either a joke or posted by a binner, which lets face it, is the same thing! Darren Huckerby is by far and away the best player to pull on a Norwich shirt since the years of Bellers and Eadie. He is a match winner. He''s got pace to burn, an excellent touch, wicked shot, and I think Flem summed it up well earlier this week when he said he''s just glad he''s not playing AGAINST Huckerby!

Without the Huck we would be languishing around mid table. He''s come in and helped turn this football club around. He''s helped instill confidence in the club, the fans and the city that we really can make it. And make it we will.

Without he''s eye catching performances when he was on loan we wouldn''t have bought him, therefore wouldn''t have had the second share issue, therefore wouldn''t have had £1m+ to spend on players, therefore wouldn''t have bought Leon and Sven, therefore might not have beaten the binners (but lets be realistic, probably would have done) therefore..... Should I go on?? Shame on you Bosster for even daring to broach the subject

Arguably best player Div 1 in December, now Defoe has moved on he is now peerless. What a stupid question.

I think you''ve got it spot on DumbleDelia. Were we not in 14th place when Hucks walked through the door 1st time?

I know the other loanees did well, and many others have also performed well but it is Hucks who has transformed us from a very ordinary middle of the table side into league leaders. It is definitely more than his individual performances, superb as they''ve mostly been, he seems to have given the whole squad a huge injection of confidence.

I''ll probably get flak for saying that NW has been very lucky but he has. All credit to him for getting Hucks in but I dont think even he can have anticipated the effect Hucks would have. I''ve certainly never ever (in rather a long while of watching football) seen a single player have such a dramatic impact on a whole team''s performance as Hucks has had on ours.

He''s not a one man team but he is without question the reason we are where we are.

Couldn''t agree more with the above replies. the only point I would make is that many commentators, pundits and people who remember him in the premiership say that he hasn''t quite got what it takes to be a great premiership player. We can''t get too excited yet about how he will be next season but with any luck, he has settled into Norwich and this''ll be the difference between playing for us and having played for other clubs (Man City, Leeds...). Next season we will nedd 2/3 players of similar quality to compliment him.

is huckerby really good enough?? YES. look at other regular fiest team prem strikers. dickov, yorke, stern john, pederson, boa morte, blake..........etc. if they can do alright then hucks will be one of the best in the prem. he''s gonna prov all them critics wrong by being one of the most exciting stikers outside the top 3 (and maybe newcastle and liverpool?). can he hack it? cause he can. he could be the difference of div 1 and prem 4 2 years in a row if we go up!

i am amazed this question is still being asked, i thought we had settled this back in oct-nov when most of us on here were desperate for the club to sign him

as several of us said, sign hucks and we will be promoted

and so we will be

the man is sheer class - the best signing for the club i can remember - he is without doubt the best player in the first division, and just last saturday, blew the hammers away, despite all their efforts to contain him, he does this every week, produces or scores the goals, inspires the rest of the team

as he will prove next season, HE IS A PREMIERSHIP CLASS PLAYER

can''t wait, can you?

For heaven''s sake - he''s been our best player, and he''s won us a lot of points through individual skill. Why not worry about the other 20-odd squad members rather than him? IMO the best thing is seeing a very talented player enjoying playing football, and that''s a tribute to the rest of the team and the manager. Hux is worth more to us than all the Jermaines you care to mention.

MasterNagnus... Brilliantly put!
I saw him 4 the first time against west ham (cldnt get any tickets all season!) and he just created chances out of nothing... literally nothing! one particular moment was wen two defenders were pushing him towards the touchline, seemingly isolating hucks and then the next minute he was in acres of space. That sums him up, confident and innovative.

id rather have huckerby than johansson, stead, ferdinand, miller, iversen, crouch, maccarone, allback, postiga, christie, bellion, yakubu, wanchope, lualua, ricketts, macken, pahars, cole, bent, gallagher, yorke, dickov, campbell, dublin, ormerod, pedersen, hayles, euell, bridges or even carl cort, just off the top of my head.
i bet you hucks scores more than any of them next season.

I think this is a valid comment in that do we feel that he has been worth the effort of getting him here. Now I say yes, and defenitely yes.

It has to be said I was a little worried when we first signed him propper because we had performed well without him over christmas, the time we normally slip up.

And somebody argued we were in 14th when he came along. A bad argument, I dont think we had played more than two or three games had we? And we were actually scoring goals too.

However, when you compare his pay and his transfer fee you have to admit that it is a big risk and it still is a big risk. Ok so far we have paid out £750k for him, a good price seeing Iwan cost us £800k. But we must be paying him tons of dosh just to play week in week out. Add that to the fact that the club isnt making much if any proffit every year you can see where I am coming from.

Now to all you hardcore fans, I was begging for him to be signed because he is a real quality player that is yet to find a stable platform to display his true potential. Hopefully he can do that with us. I said it before we signed him and I will say it again, everyone in football reckons that Dyer is a great player because he has electric pace and he should be in the England squad for it. The problem is he is right footed I believe, and although he is quick he lacks the vision of the other right-footed players such as Beckham, Gerrard etc. We need a left footer, step forward Darren Huckerby.

And by the way I would say Maccarone is a quality player also and ferdinand, yorke and dublin have all been great players in the past. Its a little obvious that perhaps they are past their best and also a little disrispectful.

Hi Chicken, long time no posts.

Two disagreements though, firstly Huckerby is right footed. Secondly, when we were 14th we had played a few games and were looking pretty mediocre - winning at home but having no confidence away. ie Forest.

Other than that, all you say is correct.

the first game when i saw huckerby i thought that he waa brillant.The goal against west ham on saturday was top class. i hope that he will continue to be brillant and take us up to the premership for next season taht would be a dream come true for me because i dont think they have been in the premership when i have been supporting them and i ahve been suporting norwich city since i was six years old and this has been be far the best season they have had since i have been suporting the canaries. hucks fanastic player.

from your loyal caanries supporter Mary norfolk-Whittaker
come on you yellows!

Honestly I think Huckerby was not overrated by us, perhaps you can find in our current squad there are only one or at least two players match his quality, McVeigh and Green I said. I wouldn''t say Huckerby is the best since you can see his failure in Leeds United and Manchester City, he was the kind of striker who can only play by himself, liked Anelka. I would say he cannot partner well with McKenzie, Henderson, Svensson, Jarvis or McVeigh, but Iwan Roberts he will play well with him.

We are too rely on Huckerby in last few games and Neil Adams always said, our defenders or midfielders just hit the longer ball up front to Huckerby, let him to do the job by himself! In the first division level we are fine for that since Hucks already showed how he can score solo goal by himself, but in the top level of the league, it will not work! If we are really get there in the future, we must need to sort it out!

so then mary "come on you yellows!!" norfolk-whittaker. judging by your posts in recent threads, you''re quite an admirer of mr huckerby. do you have a poster of him on your wall by any chance? next to the busted one?

Yes it has been a while indeed.

The reason why I thought he was left footed is that he seems to have only ever played in two positions, up front and left wing.

This must mean that he has a decent left peg otherwise managers wouldnt play him out there!

When you say we had no confidence away, I think we displayed that we had some against Bradford. Scoring two goals away is not something an under-confident team can do. I personally feel that we were lacking competition for places. If Hucks needs a breather we have McKenzie who looks a real steal for the price.

I am not suggesting we should not have got him, no way, and yes he probably has made the difference between a play-off place and the top of the division. Now we are there I will not settle for anything less than the league title. Its no less than this club as a whole deserves.

I know this thread is about a week old now and everyone who knows me doesn''t need me to answer the question posed by its title. I just wanted to add a different dimension to the question by telling you about something that happened on Tuesday night before the match.
I sit quite near to a lovely lad who is Norwich City mad. He has learning difficulties and sometimes struggles to make himself understood, although there is no misunderstanding his adoration for his heroes. Imagine his face when, from the other side of the pitch, Darren comes running over to shake his hand and talk to him for a minute. To say it made made this lad''s day would be a gross understatement, and that glove on his hand will never be washed I guarantee it! Whatever he does for us on the pitch now and in the future Darren will always be good enough for this club because of the person he is IMO.

Thats such a pleasant story, makes you wonder how many other players would have bothered to have done something so thoughtful. Cheers Susie B for enlightening me/us to that...