Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Help Required. NCFC vs Motherwell early 1970's

I''m trying to pinpoint a game played either in the Texaco Cup or a friendly. The Key is that Tommy Dawes was the ref...a friend of my fathers who took me to the game, and it could well have been my first at Carrow Road. Can any one help please?

Evening Mr Beard. Up late for a young''un aint yer?

I went to that game. I can remember Ian St John playing for them obviously prior to his move to Liverpool.

If that''s the game you are thinking of, then I do believe it was a friendly.

Don''t ask what year - memory retention damn poor dont yer know!

Many thanks BY. The plot thickens somewhat with a glance at the trusted Canary Citizens. It tells of a Texaco Cup semi final against Motherwell in March 1973, and a 2nd round Texaco match in October 1973 (the following season). It doesn''t however mention a friendly although some seem to remember there being one around this time. Beard senior recalls me going (it was around this time I was cast out from the Beard family home due to my turning to the light and away from the Dark Side.

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]I''m trying to pinpoint a game played either in the Texaco Cup or a friendly. The Key is that Tommy Dawes was the ref...a friend of my fathers who took me to the game, and it could well have been my first at Carrow Road. Can any one help please?[/quote]We played Motherwell at Carrow Road two seasons running in the never-to-be-forgotten Texaco Cup, on March 14th, 1973, and the next season, on October 23rd.Both were 2-0 wins in first-leg matches, and both times we got through to the next round on aggregate. Ian Mellor got both goals in the first encounter. The scorers in the October match were Duncan Forbes and...Graham Paddon. Is this a coincidence or not, I wonder?!

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]Any idea of the ref in each case Purple?[/quote]Ha! Afraid not. I also was using Canary Citizens. Which also has a list of friendlies, and there is no mention of us playing Motherwell anywhere near that time.However we did play a pre-season game against St Mirren (a 4-1 win) in 1972. If Tommy Dawes was a friend of your father''s does that mean he was from Norfolk, and so wouldn''t have refereed a competitive game (such as in the Texaco Cup) but might have been chosen for a friendly? This is a polite way of wondering if you''ve confused Motherwell and St Mirren!

It''s a good point Purple...I think Tommy was from (dare I say it) Suffolk! so you may well be right about him not reffing competitive matches....I wonder if anyone can find out about the referees? I was my Dad that said it was Motherwell.

I only remember us playing Motherwell in those Texaco Cup matches. But Ian St John must have played for Motherwell in the 50''s I reckon. Unless he went back there after he finished with the bindippers. But I do remember there being a referee by the name of Dawes in the early 70''s. Not sure if he was Tommy though.

Bit of perspective for ya, GPB.

YOU would remember this game WAY better than your dad likely would. It was your 1st trip, but to the parents, it was just another.

God knows, my folks could not recall my 1st trip to Carrow Road, but I do. 1972-73 season, Coventry visiting, sitting in the stands, tie game, at night, grandpa sitting next to me.

I remember being disappointed a few years later when we were again in Div 1 going to the only game available during my visit and wishing it was someone else beside FRICKEN COVENTRY! But nobody else in my family would remember that, either. I think that one ended 2 - 2. By then I was a veteran, so the outcome was less memorable than my 1st game. And I''d seen others since then, but not many.

Trust your own recollection first (unless you were 4 yrs old).

Ain''t the internet wonderful. I found this last night on a list of English referees:

Tommy Dawes 1958-1974. And this snippet. Nothing really changes in football...

Palace Chairman Arthur Wait blames Everton and

referee Dawes for last Saturday''s scandalous Cup-tie. ''It

was a diabolical game, and Everton were the culprits.

Dawes had a real stinker, at one stage I thought he was

going to book the corner flag.''
Also, for older readers, Dawes was the referee in this famous incident:http://vodpod.com/watch/1284215-ernie-hunt-free-kick-coventry-v-everton

One of those Texaco Trophy matches against Scottish oppossition in 1973 was my first match also. It was a night match so mid-week and I stood in the South Stand but I''m buggered if I know which one it was.

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]Any idea of the ref in each case Purple?[/quote]

I''ve still got the programme from the game on March 14th 1973 (the Texaco semi final). The ref for that one was Gordon Hill.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]Any idea of the ref in each case Purple?[/quote]

I''ve still got the programme from the game on March 14th 1973 (the Texaco semi final). The ref for that one was Gordon Hill.

[/quote]Now Gordon was a good referee.......( straying slightly off topic which is now pretty compulsory on here )He was the ref at the City v Villa League Cup Final in 1975.

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]One of those Texaco Trophy matches against Scottish oppossition in 1973 was my first match also. It was a night match so mid-week and I stood in the South Stand but I''m buggered if I know which one it was.[/quote]

In the previous round before Motherwell we played St Johnstone. Won 1-0.  Was that the one sparrow ???

As a Motherwell & Norwich fan (my avatar shows Paul Lambert in Motherwell colours 1994/5)...Ian St John didn''t play against Norwich in the Texaco Cup, he''d retired by then, but was manager of Motherwell, his home town club & where he started his career, in 1973/4. The Texaco ties, if I recall correctly, at Fir Park, Norwich won one 1-0 & Motherwell won another 3-2, would have went to extra time but for a fantastic save by one Kevin Keelan). I have the programme for Carrow Road 14/03/73 here & the ref is shown as Gordon Hill, as someone else has mentioned. Norwich played here in a friendly about 4 years back, ended 0-0, missed the match as i was in Norfolk at the time...

Have a zillion programmes from 1970 onwards given to me by my dad and i asked him if he went to any tex matches and he said yes and the ipst final,so a programme will be in my loft of it probably and tomorrow will try and locate it for you

My sincere apologies Mr Beard. I did indeed see Ian St John play for Motherwell at The Carra but it was circa 1961.

Totally forgot how old I am. Sad....sad!

I must say I think it''s a shame the Texaco Cup is no more - it was more or less an unofficial British Cup. I certainly enjoyed the games I saw at Carrow Road in this competition and the crowds were quite good.

Remember the game where the lanky (the Peter Crouch of the early 70''s) Ian Mellor scored the two goals. One he took wide in the box and we in the Barclay thought he''d taken it too far but he somehow squeezed it inside the post. He was a great technical player (the old "good feet for a big man") but used to run out of steam.

Don''t have any stats books but seem to remember not many there that night. 11-12,000?