Sign in to follow this  
olster

Rose not up to it!

I am not one to put a player down,  but having seen Rose play the last two games at Millwall and Brighton,  I do not think he is up to it...   I know he can put a good cross in etc,  but when defending he seems to come up way short,  he got beaten quite easily several times at the weekend,   I would hope that he is just cover for Drury,   as I think/hope we are going to be playing in the Championship next season,  and does worry me what a player from that division would do when running at him with pace! 

[quote user="olster"]

I am not one to put a player down,  but having seen Rose play the last two games at Millwall and Brighton,  I do not think he is up to it...   I know he can put a good cross in etc,  but when defending he seems to come up way short,  he got beaten quite easily several times at the weekend,   I would hope that he is just cover for Drury,   as I think/hope we are going to be playing in the Championship next season,  and does worry me what a player from that division would do when running at him with pace! 

[/quote]

I agree, same goes for Russel Martin

at the end of the day, he was brought in as cover for a quality left back in drury. we''ll be hard pressed to find a better left back, so obviously he will seem inferior to drury, however in the games hes played since signing, he hasnt done too much wrong and done a good job for the team. lets just say i doubt any other team in the league has a better second choice left back.

Yeah, and that Docherty.Oh and Lappin and Nelson.And Russel.(Insert other random player name here)

Saturday is going to be a huge game for him, we''ll learn a lot more about him then. He''ll be up against Michail Antonio - probably one of the quickest players in the league.

personally think he''s done ok since he''s been here, and as for Russel Martin, think he doing ok too. Could always get the Lazy Scouse t **t back from Southampton if you would prefer. Think Spillane will probably go back in there when fully match fit tho.

[quote user="pbtc"]Saturday is going to be a huge game for him, we''ll learn a lot more about him then. He''ll be up against Michail Antonio - probably one of the quickest players in the league.
[/quote]

And Jon Otsemebor over lapping! looking forward to it already.[8-)]

[quote user="morty"]Yeah, and that Docherty.Oh and Lappin and Nelson.And Russel.(Insert other random player name here)[/quote]Really interesting that one, how Russell and Doc etc are gonna fair next season in the Championship. Managers do have a tremendous effect on players form tho and there''s not an awful lot of difference between the leagues, except for the CCC''s top 6.Im confident with a few additions the main bulk of the squad will be challening for the playoffs next season, provided Lambert''s still here.

I know it sounds harsh but i honestly agree with the op. I think Lambert may have signed Rose for his deadball, throw in and getting forward abilitys but defensivly he definitely leaves something to be desired and i''m a bit worried it might get exposed against Southampton on Saturday. The sooner Drury gets back the better

[quote user="Barclayman"][quote user="morty"]Yeah, and that Docherty.Oh and Lappin and Nelson.And Russel.(Insert other random player name here)[/quote]Really interesting that one, how Russell and Doc etc are gonna fair next season in the Championship. Managers do have a tremendous effect on players form tho and there''s not an awful lot of difference between the leagues, except for the CCC''s top 6.Im confident with a few additions the main bulk of the squad will be challening for the playoffs next season, provided Lambert''s still here.[/quote]I was taking the piss.

slightly off topic but does anybody know if Semmy is eligible to play on Saturday? dont we usually put a clause in place preventing departing players from playing against us in the same this season...or did we really not rate him that highly that we just didnt bother??

Rose has found himself in the Team Of The Week many times at ''this'' level, and is considered by many League One fans (... Well atleast Brighton and Stockports fans as far as i know) as one of the best left backs going in this division.

He''s no Drury, granted we know that, but in all truth the quality of Drury was never going to be something we could replace this season.

Rose is at the very least adequate cover as a ''loan player'' (remember) this season, and personally, i haven''t been too disappointed with his performances so far. Although i understand he''s not always fantastic defensively, to his credit he more than plays his part going forward, and wierdly enough, thats a hell of a lot more than can be said for many other left backs at this level.

... And for the sake of argument, despite being on opposed sides of the defence, i''d have Rose ahead of someone like Otsemobor in the team every day of the week.

As for other left backs at this level that could step in for Drury at a higher level, Brighton''s Jim McNulty has been said to be a class act. Maybe thats worth looking into? (For anyone a little concerned, no he didn''t play on Saturday)

yep I know he''s not on loan but sure we''ve still done that in the past when previous players have left permanently?

[quote user="pbtc"]Saturday is going to be a huge game for him, we''ll learn a lot more about him then. He''ll be up against Michail Antonio - probably one of the quickest players in the league.
[/quote]

From what I''ve seen of Michail Antonio, admitted only two away games at St Mary''s, he looks pacy and direct but not much else.  If he was any good he would be in the first team at Reading. I know he can throw the ball miles but there''s not too much Rose can do about that.

For what it''s worth, I''ve been reasonably impressed by Rose and don''t really know what the criticism is. He seems capable. And we have to remember he is still settling in. Adam Drury, if I remember right, had a few iffy games when he first joined before getting into the consistency that we saw right through to his period of injury.

I think a loan move was ideal, he''s probably good enough for this level but well of his depth in the Championship

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Eddie Semi is not on loan he was bought so yes he can play on Saturday - but not sure he has been getting in.

And Rudolph yes quite right.[/quote]MacKenzie had a clause in his deal which didn''t allow him to play against us in the first season. Considering we (supposedly) didn''t demand a fee for him I wouldn''t be surprised if Semi wasn''t eligeable for this game. Having said that perhaps Lambert wasn''t bothered as he had the measure of him and knows how to beat him. Could you imagine Semi against MacNamee?

[quote user="Eddie 17"]slightly off topic but does anybody know if Semmy is eligible to play on Saturday? dont we usually put a clause in place preventing departing players from playing against us in the same this season...or did we really not rate him that highly that we just didnt bother?? [/quote]I would have thought in Semmy''s case we would have put in a clause INSISTING he plays against us on Saturday.....

Rose had an excellent debut...his last two games, I would hope, have been a lesson to him about how the team plays. He was found wanting defensively against Brighton, too often beaten, out of position and had to be covered by other players, so unless he can build on that I fear we may be discussing him further in the weeks to come, for the wrong reasons.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Good job Smudger is not about he called me clown for suggesting that Drury would get back in when fit[/quote]I really do not think that I said such a thing.What I did say is that I thought Rose had done reasonably well in the games that he has played and that if we continue winning matches it was not a given that Drury would get straight back in the team.  I think that Drury is better, but he is ageing and I thiunk that Rose could potentially fill his boots for more and more games unless we spend a few quid on bringing another left back in.