Sign in to follow this  
hurricane

Theo?

Says in the edp today theo is still a paid professional on our books.....i thought we let him go a few months ago?? Or am i wrong?

I''m pretty sure that ya hoo is still here, but in Mr Lambert''s eyes that ship has well and truely sailed.

I know its a little bit off topic but does anyone know how bad this guy actually is? Obviously we have all seen the 7-1 highlights and that was honestly one of the worst performances I have seen from a professional keeper. But is he usually that bad? Just wondering if anyone has watched training or the reserve games in which he has played in.

Obviously I dont want him anywhere near the first team picture because we have three excellent goalkeepers at the club who need football but surely a conference national or conference north/south team would take him on loan for a bit?

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

I know its a little bit off topic but does anyone know how bad this guy actually is? Obviously we have all seen the 7-1 highlights and that was honestly one of the worst performances I have seen from a professional keeper. But is he usually that bad? Just wondering if anyone has watched training or the reserve games in which he has played in.

Obviously I dont want him anywhere near the first team picture because we have three excellent goalkeepers at the club who need football but surely a conference national or conference north/south team would take him on loan for a bit?

[/quote]

Chippy is as much to blame here, Australia lincs, I heared that they were at same club once, or was that someone dropping spanners

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

[/quote]

I can''t imagine anyone would want to pay his wages.

In fairness to Theoklitos, it''s not his fault Gunn chose to single him out and convice him to move him and his family over here. If I were in his position, I''d probably wait to get my contract paid up too.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

[/quote]

In fairness to Theoklitos, it''s not his fault Gunn chose to single him out and convice him to move him and his family over here. If I were in his position, I''d probably wait to get my contract paid up too.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

[/quote]

Here''s a mad idea if we offered to pay 100% of his wages while he was on loan. Sounds crazy I know but my reasoning is that he is literally doing nothing for us. He doesnt get reserve games. I assume Rudd, Forster and Steer are used in practice matches on the training ground as well. So if he went out on loan and gave a good account of himself this might encourage some takers who would at least contribute to some of his wages.

[quote user="Greg Downs Hairpiece"]Has anyone played Theo on the Football Manager game?? If yes-How good is he??[/quote]

I did, was first choice goalie for me for 3 seasons, then sold him for a million to Sheff Utd.

If only, hey?

In fairness I don''t think he is that bad a ''keeper, he won awards in Australia (and although I know it isn''t the highest quality of leagues it is still an achievement). The blame for the opening day game has been laid firmly at his feet and that has taken the pressure off the rest of the squad. Also his attitude seems a little off, but it is hard to know what is going on at Colney etc. Lambert has a history of freezing out players for the good of the team and I think this is what is happening.

I do worry that if Forster was injured for a significant amount of time Rudd might find the pressure too much. Rudd has so little experience that mistakes would come.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

[/quote]

Watched him play in a reserve game a couple of months ago and he didn''t seem to have much confidence, he tended to panic when the play came anywhere near his area. 

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

Here''s a mad idea if we offered to pay 100% of his wages while he was on loan. Sounds crazy I know but my reasoning is that he is literally doing nothing for us. He doesnt get reserve games. I assume Rudd, Forster and Steer are used in practice matches on the training ground as well. So if he went out on loan and gave a good account of himself this might encourage some takers who would at least contribute to some of his wages.

[/quote]

Frankly I wouldn''t want the club blamed for another clubs demise, Hang on, how''s the binners doing, no the pillock will probably turn in some blinders and then they stay up,I think it would be better to shoot him.

He is definitely still here, saw him about two weeks ago!

I was a bit surprised when i read in fourfourtwo i think, that Theo was linked with a move to Everton before he joined us??

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Yarmyed"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As Pete said earlier in this thread, not so much Gunn''s fault as Crooks. Gunn''s mistake was to listen to Crook''s recommendation and play Theo ahead of Alnwick against Colchester, and the rest of course is history. I prefer to remember Gunn for bringing us Holt, Askou, Hughes and, indeed, Nelson but, yes, his one big mistake was listening to and acting upon the advice of his close friend who ironically is still at the club.

[quote user="hurricane"]Says in the edp today theo is still a paid professional on our books.....i thought we let him go a few months ago?? Or am i wrong?[/quote]Who is he and where does he play?[*-)]

[quote user="Demonic Pen"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Yarmyed"]

[/quote]

[/quote] As Pete said earlier in this thread, not so much Gunn''s fault as Crooks. Gunn''s mistake was to listen to Crook''s recommendation and play Theo ahead of Alnwick against Colchester, and the rest of course is history. I prefer to remember Gunn for bringing us Holt, Askou, Hughes and, indeed, Nelson but, yes, his one big mistake was listening to and acting upon the advice of his close friend who ironically is still at the club.[/quote] Lol! As manager it was Gunn who had the final say as to who he signed. If what you are saying was true he signed him without watching him play or scouting reports? Just on 1 recomendation! No wonder he got sacked!

[quote user="JF"][quote user="Demonic Pen"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Yarmyed"]

[/quote]

[/quote] As Pete said earlier in this thread, not so much Gunn''s fault as Crooks. Gunn''s mistake was to listen to Crook''s recommendation and play Theo ahead of Alnwick against Colchester, and the rest of course is history. I prefer to remember Gunn for bringing us Holt, Askou, Hughes and, indeed, Nelson but, yes, his one big mistake was listening to and acting upon the advice of his close friend who ironically is still at the club.[/quote] Lol! As manager it was Gunn who had the final say as to who he signed. If what you are saying was true he signed him without watching him play or scouting reports? Just on 1 recomendation! No wonder he got sacked![/quote]

LOL !!! As you say. It seems that Gunn can''t win. Not so long ago when posters on here were congratulating Gunn for bringing in Holt etc the "we hate all things Gunn brigade" retaliated with the claim that it wasn''t Gunn who made decisions about players but Butterworth and Crook so Gunn deserved no credit at all. I wonder if you were one of them. LOL, indeed. On a more sober note, didn''t Theo play in any of the pre-season matches ? I don''t know which is why i ask the question. I''ve always said that Gunn''s big mistake was Theo, after all Gunn of all people should have been able to judge whether or not Theo was a good goalie. That having been said, there is no doubt that it was obviously Crook who highly recommended Theo and Gunn seems to have given Theo his chance based upon video of Theo''s best goalkeeping moments in Oz and Crook''s recommendation. But clearly Gunn shouldn''t have played him in such an important opening match of the campaign.

I''m going to go against the flow here and suggest that Theo is as much of a victim as Lappin was, if not more so.Signed on the basis of some excellent performances (admittedly in a very average league), highly rated by Crook, but then has a single poor game, and hasn''t been given a fair chance since.Of course his attitude and confidence aren''t likely to be great, let''s face it, if you were signed as first choice keeper and travelled thousands of miles away to do so, wouldn''t you be hacked off if you were dropped after a single game, especially in favour of much younger and less experienced options?The whole team was dire in the game Theo played, and some of the goals conceded were caused by the woeful defence, yet apparently it''s all Theo''s fault, which is typical of many fans viewpoints, in that if we concede a lot, it''s always the keepers fault, never mind the shoddy performance of the 10 men infront of them...It''s very obvious that Theo isn''t going to get a game under Lambert, so I''m surprised that the club isn''t doing more to arrange a move for him, particularly if we are paying decent wages.Either give the guy a fair chance - something he just has not been given, or get him out of here ASAP, because the current situation helps no-one...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I''m going to go against the flow here and suggest that Theo is as much of a victim as Lappin was, if not more so.Signed on the basis of some excellent performances (admittedly in a very average league), highly rated by Crook, but then has a single poor game, and hasn''t been given a fair chance since.Of course his attitude and confidence aren''t likely to be great, let''s face it, if you were signed as first choice keeper and travelled thousands of miles away to do so, wouldn''t you be hacked off if you were dropped after a single game, especially in favour of much younger and less experienced options?The whole team was dire in the game Theo played, and some of the goals conceded were caused by the woeful defence, yet apparently it''s all Theo''s fault, which is typical of many fans viewpoints, in that if we concede a lot, it''s always the keepers fault, never mind the shoddy performance of the 10 men infront of them...It''s very obvious that Theo isn''t going to get a game under Lambert, so I''m surprised that the club isn''t doing more to arrange a move for him, particularly if we are paying decent wages.Either give the guy a fair chance - something he just has not been given, or get him out of here ASAP, because the current situation helps no-one...[/quote]He has been played in reserve games, and by all accounts, has been awful.

[quote user="morty"]He has been played in reserve games, and by all accounts, has been awful.[/quote]That''s not being given a fair chance, that''s simply sticking someone in the reserves. Does that mean you then think that Lappin was given a fair chance by being put in the reserves as well then?As for not performing well, it''s not like we regularly hear about players having absolute blinders playing in the reserves against such fantastic opposition...I''m not saying he has played well, or that he''s been good enough to justify selection based on reserve performances, but it''s very, very difficult to judge a player purely on those games, because they''re not very representative.Until he''s given a run of games in the first team to prove his ability (or potetially lack of it), then he''s not been given a fair chance. I do find it hard to believe that a player who I''ve seen pull off some superb saves, and who was well rated before joining us, has suddenly become a miserable, uncoordinated clown in such a short space of time.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="morty"]He has been played in reserve games, and by all accounts, has been awful.[/quote]That''s not being given a fair chance, that''s simply sticking someone in the reserves. Does that mean you then think that Lappin was given a fair chance by being put in the reserves as well then?As for not performing well, it''s not like we regularly hear about players having absolute blinders playing in the reserves against such fantastic opposition...I''m not saying he has played well, or that he''s been good enough to justify selection based on reserve performances, but it''s very, very difficult to judge a player purely on those games, because they''re not very representative.Until he''s given a run of games in the first team to prove his ability (or potetially lack of it), then he''s not been given a fair chance. I do find it hard to believe that a player who I''ve seen pull off some superb saves, and who was well rated before joining us, has suddenly become a miserable, uncoordinated clown in such a short space of time.[/quote]Frankly, yes. Thats how it works, you play in the reserves, against usually lesser opposition to build your confidence, match fitness and sharpness.Are you seriously advocating giving him a place in the first team?Really?

[quote user="morty"]Frankly, yes. Thats how it works, you play in the reserves, against usually lesser opposition to build your confidence, match fitness and sharpness.Are you seriously advocating giving him a place in the first team?Really?[/quote]But that''s the point, you don''t truly build confidence, fitness and sharpness in the reserves, because they''re nowhere near as competitive as a league game. I don''t think you''ll find a manager out there who sees reserve games as being of a high standard, it''s often no more than a fitness routine primarily aimed at getting injured players back into the first team.Am I advocating Theo for a first team place? To replace Forster - not a chance, he''s been excellent this season and fully deserves the no 1 jersey, on the bench however...maybe.Whilst Rudd and Steer clearly have potential, they don''t have the experience that Theo does, so maybe for games against stronger opposition we could put Theo on the bench, and against weaker teams, give the nod to Rudd/Steer.The point I''m really making is that Theo has been dismissed by a huge number of  fans on the back of 1 poor game after which he''s been pretty much banished to the reserves (just like Lappin was), and I struggle to understand why so many wanted Lappin to be given a proper opportunity, but are totally unwilling to consider it in Theo''s case.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="morty"]Frankly, yes. Thats how it works, you play in the reserves, against usually lesser opposition to build your confidence, match fitness and sharpness.Are you seriously advocating giving him a place in the first team?Really?[/quote]But that''s the point, you don''t truly build confidence, fitness and sharpness in the reserves, because they''re nowhere near as competitive as a league game. I don''t think you''ll find a manager out there who sees reserve games as being of a high standard, it''s often no more than a fitness routine primarily aimed at getting injured players back into the first team.Am I advocating Theo for a first team place? To replace Forster - not a chance, he''s been excellent this season and fully deserves the no 1 jersey, on the bench however...maybe.Whilst Rudd and Steer clearly have potential, they don''t have the experience that Theo does, so maybe for games against stronger opposition we could put Theo on the bench, and against weaker teams, give the nod to Rudd/Steer.The point I''m really making is that Theo has been dismissed by a huge number of  fans on the back of 1 poor game after which he''s been pretty much banished to the reserves (just like Lappin was), and I struggle to understand why so many wanted Lappin to be given a proper opportunity, but are totally unwilling to consider it in Theo''s case.[/quote]You can''t put someone on the bench who isn''t up to the job, really you can''t. So we''re 2-1 up and Forster gets sent off and Theo steps between the sticks to face a pen.Really, it can''t happen.I should imagine that Lappin did enough in the reserves and in training to convince Mr lambert that he was worthy of recall, Theo clearly hasn''t.The fan''s opinion doesn''t matter here, Lambert sees Theo in training, and its his opinion that counts. If Paul Lambert ever sees fit to recall Theo it will be because he deserves it and is ready, and I shall back the manager''s decision and get right behind Theo.

[quote user="morty"]You can''t put someone on the bench who isn''t up to the job, really you can''t. So we''re 2-1 up and Forster gets sent off and Theo steps between the sticks to face a pen.Really, it can''t happen.I should imagine that Lappin did enough in the reserves and in training to convince Mr lambert that he was worthy of recall, Theo clearly hasn''t.The fan''s opinion doesn''t matter here, Lambert sees Theo in training, and its his opinion that counts. If Paul Lambert ever sees fit to recall Theo it will be because he deserves it and is ready, and I shall back the manager''s decision and get right behind Theo.[/quote]The point is that we don''t truly know if he''s up to the job or not, because he''s not been given the chance to show it.Let''s not also forget that Doherty was on his way out of the club with Lambert''s blessing, and was only recalled due to injuries - not performances for the reserves. So again, why is it ok for Doherty to get the chance just because of injury, and not Theo? No manager is infallible, but until we see more of Theo we just don''t really know if Lambert is right or not in this instance, I''m more than willing to back Lambert''s judgment, but I don''t think Theo should be unfairly slated on a single game, and virtually non-existent evidence regarding reserve team performances.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="morty"]You can''t put someone on the bench who isn''t up to the job, really you can''t. So we''re 2-1 up and Forster gets sent off and Theo steps between the sticks to face a pen.Really, it can''t happen.I should imagine that Lappin did enough in the reserves and in training to convince Mr lambert that he was worthy of recall, Theo clearly hasn''t.The fan''s opinion doesn''t matter here, Lambert sees Theo in training, and its his opinion that counts. If Paul Lambert ever sees fit to recall Theo it will be because he deserves it and is ready, and I shall back the manager''s decision and get right behind Theo.[/quote]The point is that we don''t truly know if he''s up to the job or not, because he''s not been given the chance to show it.Let''s not also forget that Doherty was on his way out of the club with Lambert''s blessing, and was only recalled due to injuries - not performances for the reserves. So again, why is it ok for Doherty to get the chance just because of injury, and not Theo? No manager is infallible, but until we see more of Theo we just don''t really know if Lambert is right or not in this instance, I''m more than willing to back Lambert''s judgment, but I don''t think Theo should be unfairly slated on a single game, and virtually non-existent evidence regarding reserve team performances.[/quote]He had a chance to show it, opening day of the season.Again, same answer, Docherty clearly did enough in training to convince Lambert that he was up to the job, I''m assuming that Theo isn''t doing enough in training to even warrant a run out in the reserves.Do you honestly think we would be leaving out a highly paid goalkeeper just on a whim or petty grudge?Other players who were involved in the opening day debacle have shown the mental strength and hard work to earn their place in the team, I''m guessing Theo hasn''t.