Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

saints attack

just watched pompey turn saints over but have to say result flattered pompey. Saints attacking players looked very good especially Lambert and Lallana and will cause problems next week. what worries me is the lack of pace at the back for us they could exploit that. Hope askou is back instead of Nelson.

Don''t say that, i am coming back to england next week and have got a ticket for the southampton game, i haven''t been to carrow road for 3 years so we are going to win 5-0. OK

[quote user="Askounin"]You say the result flattered Porstmouth but i disagree tbh because saints had over 50% possession but where wasteful with chances whereas Portsmouth where clinical[/quote]Yeah.[Y] Cant really pick out any real decent chances for Saints. Other than that header from the corner, they didnt create any major chances, where as Pompy took their chances very well.

so James didnt make any good saves in first half? their pace was a worry for me mainly. Noticeable how Lambert took all there dead ball situations too.

[quote user="baldyboy"]so James didnt make any good saves in first half? their pace was a worry for me mainly. Noticeable how Lambert took all there dead ball situations too.[/quote]Well that is a little worry, but at least we dont have to mark him in the box!

This game showed the gap between a team at our level and one that is likely to be looking for a top 6 place in the Championship next season.

Poor defending for the Saints and Pompey having far more clinical players  out wide and in the middle of the pitch.

[quote user="Brendan"][quote user="baldyboy"]so James didnt make any good saves in first half? their pace was a worry for me mainly. Noticeable how Lambert took all there dead ball situations too.
[/quote]

Well that is a little worry, but at least we dont have to mark him in the box!
[/quote]

This is something that is often missed by City fans when comparing Holt''s goal tally to Lambert''s this season.  They say that Lambert takes the Saints spot kick''s but how many goals has Holt got this season from a corners I wonder?  Kind of makes it an even playing field with regards to each players goal tally I would suggest?

I would suggest a better grip of your native language, and of the difference between scoring from spot-kicks and scoring from indirect set-piece situations.

We''ve played away to Southampton twice this season and both games were 2-2. Why should we be worried about them at Carrow Road? Show the respect, fair enough! But we''re better than them. I know we had a 10 point start on them but that''s now been increased to 32.

Smudger - are you saying you would rather have lambert than Holt? Oh.. and what month were the saints meant to come marching past[:^)]

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Brendan"][quote user="baldyboy"]so James didnt make any good saves in first half? their pace was a worry for me mainly. Noticeable how Lambert took all there dead ball situations too.[/quote]Well that is a little worry, but at least we dont have to mark him in the box![/quote]

This is something that is often missed by City fans when comparing Holt''s goal tally to Lambert''s this season.  They say that Lambert takes the Saints spot kick''s but how many goals has Holt got this season from a corners I wonder?  Kind of makes it an even playing field with regards to each players goal tally I would suggest?

[/quote]I''m affraid I disagree. Yes, to a certain extent that''s right. But thats part of Holt''s game. You dont see Hoolahan getting those headers, do you? (When he isnt taking the kick) Anyone can score a penalty, well any striker you wold hope.

[quote user="Brendan"][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Brendan"][quote user="baldyboy"]so James didnt make any good saves in first half? their pace was a worry for me mainly. Noticeable how Lambert took all there dead ball situations too.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m affraid I disagree. Yes, to a certain extent that''s right. But thats part of Holt''s game. You dont see Hoolahan getting those headers, do you? (When he isnt taking the kick) Anyone can score a penalty, well any striker you wold hope.
[/quote]

I am not sure that I understand the point Smudger as your garbled post is ambiguous and Holt doesn''t take corners but out of interest how many has Holt scored from corners?   I remember plenty from crosses but from corners I can only remember Doc scoring.  Still there were alot of goals and I must have missed some.

So, what is the magic number then?

Granted James'' positioning kept Pompey in the game for sure. But I felt that most of their chances came from aerial balls into the 6-8 yard zone. Correct me if I''m wrong but that''s something we deal with fairly well right now. It''s those little one twos we need to be wary of!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="Brendan"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m affraid I disagree. Yes, to a certain extent that''s right. But thats part of Holt''s game. You dont see Hoolahan getting those headers, do you? (When he isnt taking the kick) Anyone can score a penalty, well any striker you wold hope.
[/quote]

I am not sure that I understand the point Smudger as your garbled post is ambiguous and Holt doesn''t take corners but out of interest how many has Holt scored from corners?   I remember plenty from crosses but from corners I can only remember Doc scoring.  Still there were alot of goals and I must have missed some.

[/quote]

Equally baffled Cambridge! Is he suggesting that goals scored from corners somehow count less. Or that they are equal to penalties? I remeber the days when you could count the goals scored from corners on hone hand in a season!! We NEED a striker who can turn cornres into goals. Holt is that striker. Not to mention the Doc now! It''s why we score so many because we''ve got goal scorers for all occassions - corners, free kicks, one on ones, headers...

[quote user="baldyboy"]just watched pompey turn saints over but have to say result flattered pompey. Saints attacking players looked very good especially Lambert and Lallana and will cause problems next week. what worries me is the lack of pace at the back for us they could exploit that. Hope askou is back instead of Nelson.
[/quote]

I''m not worried.

You''ve only got to look at the league table to see who the better side is. They''ve obviously got some handy players, Lallana can play a bit but I''m not bothered about Lambert, he gets goals at this level but we defend well and the Doc is a class above him, that is for sure.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

We''ve played away to Southampton twice this season and both games were 2-2. Why should we be worried about them at Carrow Road? Show the respect, fair enough! But we''re better than them. I know we had a 10 point start on them but that''s now been increased to 32.

Smudger - are you saying you would rather have lambert than Holt? Oh.. and what month were the saints meant to come marching past[:^)]

[/quote]I am saying nothing of the sort, although it is no secret that I am a massive Rickie Lambert fan Nutty.It is just an interesting fact to consider.  We often hear of how many more goals Holt would have if he was our first choice penalty taker (like Lambert is for the Saints) but I haven''t often seen Holt take a corner for us this season have you?Would you not agree that a big strong forward has every chance of picking up a few goals from corners and other dead ball situations by getting on the end of quality deliveries?  If so then you would obviously agree that should be taken in to account when comparing the strike rates of both players?  Lambert can''t take the Saints corners and get on the end of them too can he?  If he could that would make him one hell of a player!

[quote user="Brendan"][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Brendan"][quote user="baldyboy"]so James didnt make any good saves in first half? their pace was a worry for me mainly. Noticeable how Lambert took all there dead ball situations too.[/quote]Well that is a little worry, but at least we dont have to mark him in the box![/quote]

[/quote]I''m affraid I disagree. Yes, to a certain extent that''s right. But thats part of Holt''s game. You dont see Hoolahan getting those headers, do you? (When he isnt taking the kick) Anyone can score a penalty, well any striker you wold hope. [/quote]So are you trying to tell me that Rickie Lambert is crap in the air are you Brendan?You have obviously seen very little of him to be comparing him more to Hoolahan than Holt.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="Brendan"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]I''m affraid I disagree. Yes, to a certain extent that''s right. But thats part of Holt''s game. You dont see Hoolahan getting those headers, do you? (When he isnt taking the kick) Anyone can score a penalty, well any striker you wold hope. [/quote]

[/quote]De La Soul said... "3 is the magic number!"I have no idea how many Holt might of scored as a direct result of a corner kick this season though, but at least he has the opportunity of converting from them.  Lambert on the other hand has no chance whatsoever of adding to his goal tally from corners he is actually taking unless he curls one directly in.  I am sure that Lambert would of picked up a few more goals if he did not take corners, but obviously he has added a few goals to his tally this season from the penalty kicks he has taken.I think that Holt and Lambert are pretty much playing on a level playing field when it comes to comparing their goal tally''s this season.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]What about our attack up against their ageing defence?[/quote]Their defence is pretty pants! [;)] [Y]Hope that I haven''t talked up a clean sheet for them by saying that?

[quote user="Lambert is King"]In both games at Soton Lambert did not get a kick. In one if not both games Lambert was susstituted, and did Nelson and Docherty not play in those games?[/quote]This I believe is true... however Lambert is hardly blessed with bags of pace (the thing that worries both the Doc and Nelson).  He does have very good feet, a fierce shot and is good in the air though (as his goal against Pompey at the weekend shown).

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="Brendan"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

De La Soul said... "3 is the magic number!"

I have no idea how many Holt might of scored as a direct result of a corner kick this season though, but at least he has the opportunity of converting from them.  Lambert on the other hand has no chance whatsoever of adding to his goal tally from corners he is actually taking unless he curls one directly in.  I am sure that Lambert would of picked up a few more goals if he did not take corners, but obviously he has added a few goals to his tally this season from the penalty kicks he has taken.

I think that Holt and Lambert are pretty much playing on a level playing field when it comes to comparing their goal tally''s this season.
[/quote]

Thanks for that clarification.  For what it is worth I think you are about right.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I am saying nothing of the sort, although it is no secret that I am a massive Rickie Lambert fan Nutty.

It is just an interesting fact to consider.  We often hear of how many more goals Holt would have if he was our first choice penalty taker (like Lambert is for the Saints) but I haven''t often seen Holt take a corner for us this season have you?

Would you not agree that a big strong forward has every chance of picking up a few goals from corners and other dead ball situations by getting on the end of quality deliveries?  If so then you would obviously agree that should be taken in to account when comparing the strike rates of both players?  Lambert can''t take the Saints corners and get on the end of them too can he?  If he could that would make him one hell of a player!
[/quote]

So then Smudger, what is the advantage of  Ricky Lambert taking those corners[:^)]

Maybe if we work that out The Doc could start taking ours[H]