Sign in to follow this  
25overpar

Can anyone help - 50 years ago?

This is probably a question for the more mature members of this forum. My mother remembers going to Carrow Road ''sometime'' around the late 1950''s - early 60''s and watching Stanley Matthews play for Stoke against Norwich. She can''t remember the exact year, but is convinced Duncan Forbes was in the Norwich team. I do not believe this is possible because I think Sir Stan finished his playing career in 1965 and went on to manage Port Vale whilst Duncan Forbes did not join Norwich until 1968. However, I have had no success on the internet and would be very grateful if anyone can confirm the last time Stanley Matthews played in either League or Cup at Carrow Road.

Duncan Forbes never played against Matthews for Norwich but Sir Stan did play for Stoke at Carrow Road in a famous match in, I think, the 1962-63 season when City won 6-0! I believe Stoke were promoted that season which makes the scoreline even more remarkable.

Big Dunc wasn''t there, I was!

Stanley Matthews on the right wing for Stoke, Barry Staton left back for Norwich. Masses of photographers behind the Norwich goal and only a few behind the Stoke goal to catch good shots of our six goals went!

The scorer''s names that come to mind are Jim Oliver and Alastair Miller, am I right? It was a long time ago!

[quote user="RonDavies"]Duncan Forbes never played against Matthews for Norwich but Sir Stan did play for Stoke at Carrow Road in a famous match in, I think, the 1962-63 season when City won 6-0! I believe Stoke were promoted that season which makes the scoreline even more remarkable.[/quote]

Correct! I was there on a sunny afternoon.

This was a very famous game nationally at the time. Stoke City were being rebuilt by their manager Tony Waddington with older but highly skilled players like Maurice Setters, Dennis Viollet, Roy Vernon and later Gordon Banks etc, and had just signed Jimmy McIlroy from Burnley amid uproar from Burnley fans. With Stanley Mathews feeding McIlroy, Norwich were meant to be sacrificial lambs on the day, but City turned the form book on it''s head and we stuffed them 6-0. Stoke went on to promotion and a long stay in the top division.

A glorious day in City''s history. [Y]

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Big Dunc wasn''t there, I was! Stanley Matthews on the right wing for Stoke, Barry Staton left back for Norwich. Masses of photographers behind the Norwich goal and only a few behind the Stoke goal to catch good shots of our six goals went! The scorer''s names that come to mind are Jim Oliver and Alastair Miller, am I right? It was a long time ago![/quote]

Same here, and I can remember Jim Oliver goals also...........and I thought it was a league game..........March the 9th 1960.

I was there too and, all these years later, still feel priviliged to have witnessed it. Stanley Matthews was only three years away from his 50th birthday and he was still going down the wing ( at times ) with the ball appearing not to leave the toe of his boot. Marvellous memory.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Big Dunc wasn''t there, I was! Stanley Matthews on the right wing for Stoke, Barry Staton left back for Norwich. Masses of photographers behind the Norwich goal and only a few behind the Stoke goal to catch good shots of our six goals went! The scorer''s names that come to mind are Jim Oliver and Alastair Miller, am I right? It was a long time ago![/quote]

Same here, and I can remember Jim Oliver goals also...........and I thought it was a league game..........March the 9th 1960.

[/quote]

Sorry 63!

I was there also to see the great Mathews but he failed to impress in a very poor Stoke performance , as a side issue i met by chance Jim Oliver''s son in TSB at the old castle meadow branch there was a picture on the wall of his dad scoring a spectacular scissor kick for City .

I remember Stanley Matthews playing against Norwich in the early 60''s when he looked like a grandad but was still more than competitive!

Duncan Forbes joined Norwich in the late 60''s after Matthews had packed up!