Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

The Old Anglia TV Match of the week............

Following on from a post on here today.........Come on Anglia and City..........release some of your back library onto DVD..................please.[Y]

Those were the day''s. I remember watching it in the 70''s with Gerry Harrison as presenter. Anglia did put on a series of highlights maybe 10 years ago with Kevin Piper, it was called "Shake, Rattle and Goal" and I believe that mention was made of it going on to Video. Maybe we should lobby the East Anglian Film Archive as they have released some good stuff from Anglia just lately. The Anglia region used to go as far as Hull  in the old days and I believe it also included such exotic places as Grimsby and Scunthorpe as well. One more point, wasn''t Sunday afternoon a better time to watch football highlights than midnight on a Saturday?

Yes, Hull used to have a good team in those days,  there was Wagstaff and Wagstaff and of course there was Wagstaff. Cambridge Utd used to be managed by dear old Ron Atkinson and they used to to have a rockin team as well. Of course, we had Ron Saunders and er Clive Payne.

I agree, bring back Gerry and Sunday afternoon football, preferably in black and white.

[quote user="stu"]

Yes, Hull used to have a good team in those days,  there was Wagstaff and Wagstaff and of course there was Wagstaff. Cambridge Utd used to be managed by dear old Ron Atkinson and they used to to have a rockin team as well. Of course, we had Ron Saunders and er Clive Payne.

I agree, bring back Gerry and Sunday afternoon football, preferably in black and white.

[/quote]

Wagstaff''s strike partner Chris Chilton wasn''t bad either and they were a excellent combination. Then later they had Stuart Pearson who went on to play for Man U and England.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="stu"]

[/quote]

Wagstaff''s strike partner Chris Chilton wasn''t bad either and they were a excellent combination. Then later they had Stuart Pearson who went on to play for Man U and England.

[/quote]The Hull owner spent loadsamoney (by the standards of the time) to try and buy their way to the top flight for the first time. Ambition without prudence. Funnily enough, it didn''t work. Not that I''m suggesting there is a lesson there or anything.To go with Chilton, who WAS a good centre-forward, they bought Wagstaff and two other excellent players, Ken Houghton in midfield, and a left-winger named Butler. Probably no relation to anyone here...

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]Did Match of the Week feature Lincoln City as well?[/quote]

Yes it did, and also Scunthorpe and Grimsby.  Peterborough were also on a lot.

I always remembered the pics of Chris Chilton at the time. He always looked as if he had had a bucket of water thrown over him.

time may have blurred the memory, but it seemed to be much more enjoyable watching Match of the Week, Match of the Day and Sportsnight than what we get served up with these days. More live football sometimes results in more boring football....

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]time may have blurred the memory, but it seemed to be much more enjoyable watching Match of the Week, Match of the Day and Sportsnight than what we get served up with these days. More live football sometimes results in more boring football....[/quote]

As a kid in the early seventies, I remember going to the match on the Saturday, then having to wait all the way through to 2 o''clock Sunday to watch it all again. No video recorders either. So if you missed it, tough. We used to have a huge Sunday lunch, but if City were on MOTW I was allowed to eat it on my lap in the living room in front of the telly !!

[quote user="First Wizard"]

Following on from a post on here today.........Come on Anglia and City..........release some of your back library onto DVD..................please.[Y]

[/quote]

Steady on Wiz..... you know football wasn''t invented until 1996 when our "saviour" arrived.

At least the "creationists" accept human life has existed for 10,000 years............