Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

OT Where is the best place for fish and chips in central Norwich?

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="morty"]I use a chippy I think is fantastic.

But don''t know what the street is called.

Walk from the market, through the taxi rank and up teh hill, church on your left and Tesco on your right.

About 50 yards up hill turn right into narrow alley with lots of clothes shops, at the bottom of that street theres a chippy on the corner that is amazing
[/quote]

That''s the corner of Pottergate & Lower Goat Lane.  It''s not bad, probably the best in the city centre but Stafford Street Chippy for me too, though it''s out of town.

[/quote]

Strangely enough the Welsh couple who run the Pottergate chippy are the same couple who used to run the Stafford St shop back in the day.

The woman in there is Henry Cooper''s sister-in-law, and, surprise surprise, is the spittin'' image of '' Our '' Enery''s '' missus......
[/quote]

Dont tell Morty they are Welsh or he will imagine that they are trying to poison his chips!

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I also remember stopping at a Wisbech chippy that heated the fat with a coal fire. Fabulous fish.

Sutton Bridge is good too on the way home from games in the Midlands.

One of my favourite memories was stopping in Grantham on Lily Kemps bus at a chip shop where our players were all buying chips after a great 2- 2 draw at the old Baseball Ground.

I remember Martin Peters (a real legend)putting his cod on the counter to salt and vinegar his chips first and Kenny Brown opening his wallet to give a couple of ''ladies'' to the old girls on the bus for drinks later.

I don''t remember if this was the same year we had a game on Grantham Town''s pitch next to the chippy but one year we did![/quote]you know my great grandmother too!!she told me about that and how duncan forbes bought her a portion!

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I also remember stopping at a Wisbech chippy that heated the fat with a coal fire. Fabulous fish.

Sutton Bridge is good too on the way home from games in the Midlands.

One of my favourite memories was stopping in Grantham on Lily Kemps bus at a chip shop where our players were all buying chips after a great 2- 2 draw at the old Baseball Ground.

I remember Martin Peters (a real legend)putting his cod on the counter to salt and vinegar his chips first and Kenny Brown opening his wallet to give a couple of ''ladies'' to the old girls on the bus for drinks later.

I don''t remember if this was the same year we had a game on Grantham Town''s pitch next to the chippy but one year we did![/quote]that was her too. She is very interested as to who you are and if she remembers you.

MIA I am just glad to hear she is around still. I hope she is well.

Is Patsy with her scarf full of badges still alive?

We had some wonderful boozy times, very few fans went away in those days so seldom any segregation either.

I remember a great night with Capital Canaries in the Orporto at the top of Shaftesbury Avenue and some good times in Walthamstow but can''t remember the pub.

Of course, I was only a teenager then and she wouldn''t remember me but what a City fan she has been. And a proper old Eastender too I believe.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]MIA I am just glad to hear she is around still. I hope she is well.

Is Patsy with her scarf full of badges still alive?

We had some wonderful boozy times, very few fans went away in those days so seldom any segregation either.

I remember a great night with Capital Canaries in the Orporto at the top of Shaftesbury Avenue and some good times in Walthamstow but can''t remember the pub.

Of course, I was only a teenager then and she wouldn''t remember me but what a City fan she has been. And a proper old Eastender too I believe.[/quote]unfortunately pat passed away 3? years ago but Lil still goes home and away week in week out. celebrating her 80th next week by getting drunk in oldham.And yes she is from walthamstow so probably dragged you into the college or "something arms"...( i cant remember the name)

Wasn''t there a chippy outside the ground - many moons ago (memory may be playing tricks on me) - back of the Barclay?

I''d also recommend the Hall Rd chip shop (at the City end opposite The Freemasons Arms) You can then enjoy a few ales in the excellent Kings Arms which is just down the road. Better still, have your chips in the pub as they let you take your own food in.

[quote user="missing in action"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]MIA I am just glad to hear she is around still. I hope she is well. Is Patsy with her scarf full of badges still alive? We had some wonderful boozy times, very few fans went away in those days so seldom any segregation either. I remember a great night with Capital Canaries in the Orporto at the top of Shaftesbury Avenue and some good times in Walthamstow but can''t remember the pub. Of course, I was only a teenager then and she wouldn''t remember me but what a City fan she has been. And a proper old Eastender too I believe.[/quote]
unfortunately pat passed away 3? years ago but Lil still goes home and away week in week out. celebrating her 80th next week by getting drunk in oldham.
And yes she is from walthamstow so probably dragged you into the college or "something arms"...( i cant remember the name)
[/quote]

Right from my first ever away game at Molineux in 70/71 to the latest at Walsall this year I can''t remember not seeing your nan.

I first came across Lily and her daughters on Mascot Coaches but never had the pleasure of travelling on one of her buses later.

Do you remember those cream & maroon mascot coaches Rudolph? I have a feeling you''re maybe talking about a few years later which means I''m probably a couple of years older than you[:''(]

[quote user="mozzer"]Wasn''t there a chippy outside the ground - many moons ago (memory may be playing tricks on me) - back of the Barclay?[/quote]

Kerrisons as it was on the corner of Kerrison Road.It is now two houses and a poster on this messageboard lives in one of them.I will let them identify themselves as they may not want their address given out.

You are a bit older than me I think Nigel.

First away game \i went to was Derby (1974 I think) and what a hole, a newspaper for a programme and a 3 -1 defeat after Ted MacDougall put us into the lead with a diving header.

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 16/02/2010 9:05 PM:

mozzer wrote:

Wasn''t there a chippy outside the ground - many moons ago (memory may be playing tricks on me) - back of the Barclay?

Kerrisons as it was on the corner of Kerrison Road.It is now two houses and a poster on this messageboard lives in one of them.I will let them identify themselves as they may not want their address given out.

Ah! thats right, Kerrisons. Nice to know the memory can be relied on (sometimes....)

Many years ago, when just a season ticket holder, Delia wrote a piece for the Sunday press - celebrities at matches and made mention of the now no longer chippy. You could smell the chips in the Main Stand (pre burning down) before the end of the game.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Many years ago, when just a season ticket holder, Delia wrote a piece for the Sunday press - celebrities at matches and made mention of the now no longer chippy. You could smell the chips in the Main Stand (pre burning down) before the end of the game.[/quote]

You mean she could smell that all the way from portman road[:^)]

Unbelievable[:O]

Unless of course...................

She has been a City fan for many years, Nigel. I remember myself and Mrs. H sitting next to her and Michael at Southampton in the FA Cup. We drew that game, beat Saints at home then went to the semi-finals.

Indeed Rudolph. You''ll have to excuse me having my bit of fun though because there''s so many on here who try to convince me otherwise.