Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

OT Where is the best place for fish and chips in central Norwich?

Seriously! I''m taking some friends from overseas to the game on Saturday and want them to have decent Fish and Chips after the game before a couple of pints.

Recommendations anyone? Don''t say the bloody market.

I use a chippy I think is fantastic.But don''t know what the street is called.Walk from the market, through the taxi rank and up teh hill, church on your left and Tesco on your right.About 50 yards up hill turn right into narrow alley with lots of clothes shops, at the bottom of that street theres a chippy on the corner that is amazing

[quote user="morty"]I use a chippy I think is fantastic.

But don''t know what the street is called.

Walk from the market, through the taxi rank and up teh hill, church on your left and Tesco on your right.

About 50 yards up hill turn right into narrow alley with lots of clothes shops, at the bottom of that street theres a chippy on the corner that is amazing
[/quote]

thast the one on Pottergate.. they are nice.

[quote user="morty"]I use a chippy I think is fantastic.But don''t know what the street is called.Walk from the market, through the taxi rank and up teh hill, church on your left and Tesco on your right.About 50 yards up hill turn right into narrow alley with lots of clothes shops, at the bottom of that street theres a chippy on the corner that is amazing[/quote]That''s the corner of Pottergate & Lower Goat Lane.  It''s not bad, probably the best in the city centre but Stafford Street Chippy for me too, though it''s out of town.

[quote user="morty"]I use a chippy I think is fantastic.But don''t know what the street is called.Walk from the market, through the taxi rank and up teh hill, church on your left and Tesco on your right.About 50 yards up hill turn right into narrow alley with lots of clothes shops, at the bottom of that street theres a chippy on the corner that is amazing[/quote]

The chip shop on Pottergate you mean?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="morty"]I use a chippy I think is fantastic.But don''t know what the street is called.Walk from the market, through the taxi rank and up teh hill, church on your left and Tesco on your right.About 50 yards up hill turn right into narrow alley with lots of clothes shops, at the bottom of that street theres a chippy on the corner that is amazing[/quote]

[/quote]They do the best chips and curry sauce I have ever tasted!!

[quote user="morty"]I use a chippy I think is fantastic.

But don''t know what the street is called.

Walk from the market, through the taxi rank and up teh hill, church on your left and Tesco on your right.

About 50 yards up hill turn right into narrow alley with lots of clothes shops, at the bottom of that street theres a chippy on the corner that is amazing
[/quote]

I may be wrong but do you mean on Pottergate? If so, the "church" is the Guildhall (I think)

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"]I use a chippy I think is fantastic.But don''t know what the street is called.Walk from the market, through the taxi rank and up teh hill, church on your left and Tesco on your right.About 50 yards up hill turn right into narrow alley with lots of clothes shops, at the bottom of that street theres a chippy on the corner that is amazing[/quote]

The chip shop on Pottergate you mean?[/quote]Yes, that''ll be the one.[:)]

[quote user="Shyster"]Looks like you give good directions, morty.  [:D][/quote]Couldn''t remember the name of the street for the life of me!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]They do the best chips and curry sauce I have ever tasted!![/quote]

Ever had chips fried in Beef dripping? These are the best.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]They do the best chips and curry sauce I have ever tasted!![/quote]

Ever had chips fried in Beef dripping? These are the best.[/quote]I don''t think I have actually.I want chips now lol.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]A bit memory lane this but who remembers the name of the chippy that used to be on timber hill? It was Italian I think.[/quote]

Was it Valori''s (sp.)?

RudolphThat chippy on Timber Hill was Valori''s ( i think thats how its spelt)used to go there every Sat after home game before the 65 mile journey home.

I also remember stopping at a Wisbech chippy that heated the fat with a coal fire. Fabulous fish.

Sutton Bridge is good too on the way home from games in the Midlands.

One of my favourite memories was stopping in Grantham on Lily Kemps bus at a chip shop where our players were all buying chips after a great 2- 2 draw at the old Baseball Ground.

I remember Martin Peters (a real legend)putting his cod on the counter to salt and vinegar his chips first and Kenny Brown opening his wallet to give a couple of ''ladies'' to the old girls on the bus for drinks later.

I don''t remember if this was the same year we had a game on Grantham Town''s pitch next to the chippy but one year we did!

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I also remember stopping at a Wisbech chippy that heated the fat with a coal fire. Fabulous fish. Sutton Bridge is good too on the way home from games in the Midlands. One of my favourite memories was stopping in Grantham on Lily Kemps bus at a chip shop where our players were all buying chips after a great 2- 2 draw at the old Baseball Ground. I remember Martin Peters (a real legend)putting his cod on the counter to salt and vinegar his chips first and Kenny Brown opening his wallet to give a couple of ''ladies'' to the old girls on the bus for drinks later. I don''t remember if this was the same year we had a game on Grantham Town''s pitch next to the chippy but one year we did![/quote]

I remember a midweek game in the 80''s(Barnsley away I think) we were travelling home on our minibus and the 12 of us stopped in Grantham to get some chips and a beer before the pubs called time, anyway we were sitting supping our pints when in walked Ken Brown and as he was paying for 2 crates of beer for the team bus he spotted us said something to the landlord turned to us put his thumb up,smiled, and said enjoy the trip home lads and left. The landlord then called over asking what we all wanted as Ken had left enough money behind the bar for all of us to have another pint plus a chaser. Top bloke.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="morty"]I use a chippy I think is fantastic.But don''t know what the street is called.Walk from the market, through the taxi rank and up teh hill, church on your left and Tesco on your right.About 50 yards up hill turn right into narrow alley with lots of clothes shops, at the bottom of that street theres a chippy on the corner that is amazing[/quote]That''s the corner of Pottergate & Lower Goat Lane.  It''s not bad, probably the best in the city centre but Stafford Street Chippy for me too, though it''s out of town.

[/quote]Strangely enough the Welsh couple who run the Pottergate chippy are the same couple who used to run the Stafford St shop back in the day.The woman in there is Henry Cooper''s sister-in-law, and, surprise surprise, is the spittin'' image of '' Our '' Enery''s '' missus......

Lims on Unthank Road is brilliant. Best chips I''ve had in the city I reckon.If you really want to treat them, take them down to Long Stratton to the Chip Inn and have a proper sit down chip supper. Brilliant.

the chippy on Hall Road is pretty decent (can''t remember it''s name).

The major selling point here being that The Kings Arms a few doors up are happy for you to take your fish supper in and sink a couple of pints alongside it!