Sign in to follow this  
Greg Downs Hairpiece

Do any players still smoke in the modern game?

John Polston did If I remember correctly.  I remember also Greg Downs sucking on a massive cigar at the ground just before a game when he was not playing that day.

My cousin lives in Paris, with her husband.  They went shopping one day and went to a big retail park.  They parked the car and were walking over to one of the shops, and walked past a big 4x4 with a cigar sticking out the window.  When they looked back they saw that it was Zinidene Zidane!  They aren''t football fans but knew who he was as he was like a french Beckham.  Amazing that such a great player like him smokes!

Not Norwich City, but interesting! [:P]

Yes that''s right about Drinkell - I remember seeing him smoking in The Nest (the pub that used to be at Carrow Road) one weekday lunchtime. Didn''t seem to affect his goalscoring ability though! But I very much doubt many managers would openly allow it now, especially in the Premiership. If you''re getting paid £50,000 a week then you have a responsibility to keep your body in tip top condition and that makes smoking a big no no.

I remember hearing that Huckerby smokes. Although that is a completely unsubstantiated rumour I was told by er, I can''t remember.

Gazza and Sheringham were both seen ''smoking up'' at the infamous dentist chair incident.

Robert Prosinecki (former Croatia midfielder) got through about 40 a day apparently. As did Socrates (brazilian midfielder from 70''s).

[quote user="RonDavies"]Yes that''s right about Drinkell - I remember seeing him smoking in The Nest (the pub that used to be at Carrow Road) one weekday lunchtime. Didn''t seem to affect his goalscoring ability though! But I very much doubt many managers would openly allow it now, especially in the Premiership. If you''re getting paid £50,000 a week then you have a responsibility to keep your body in tip top condition and that makes smoking a big no no.
[/quote]

At that money you can afford something better than weed !![;)]

Few more here...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/top-10s/top-10/2008/06/25/wayne-rooney-and-the-top-10-footballers-who-smoke-115875-20620831/

[quote user="Chewbacca"]Few more here...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/top-10s/top-10/2008/06/25/wayne-rooney-and-the-top-10-footballers-who-smoke-115875-20620831/[/quote]The last name on that list is a surprise.

I remember a tv interview with David Batty where smoke could be seen rising from the bottom of the screen where he was sat. He was trying to hide it from the camera by keeping it out of shot but obviosly forgot about the smoke.

[quote user="batesout MOT"]Ankergren smokes... during games sometimes. [/quote]

I think you''ll find that''s steam. Like the rest of your team.

Berbatov, just days before his move to United:[img]http://wedontknowfootball.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/dimitar.jpg[/img]Too cool for school.

[quote user="bjg123"]Berbatov, just days before his move to United:[img]http://wedontknowfootball.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/dimitar.jpg[/img]Too cool for school.[/quote]Smoking''s well cool intit. [*-)]