Sign in to follow this  
In Dubious Battle

Overrated Player

As we have a thread for the most underrated player I wondered who people thought was the most overrated?Its hard to say when we''re doing so well but, i''d go for Hoolahan. Thats not to say I think he''s rubbish he is clearly one of the best players in this division, but I think there are certain aspects of his game that are missing, he sometimes tries to do too much and also has a habit of ''going missing'' in certain games. Once again not slagging him off he''s been a class above, just a little overrated in my view.

Never seen Wes go missing - even against Col U on the opening day.Most overrated - Theo got the big up from Gunny - "number 1 target" and all that.  But the overrated player would be Simon Lappin, he''s a good League One player but people are talking him up as the League One Xavi Alonso.

Tough one, as our team have been class this season. Ill go with Askou purely based on the criticism Doc and Nelson receive, when I dont think theres much difference between them from what ive seen.

Jamie Cureton. Not that people overate his ability just I think some overate his love for this club plus the strange idea that he always works hard.

I don''t think much of Spillane. I think a lot of people expect quite a bit from him but I don''t see him ever being good enough/improving enough to be a first choice player in our team. Especially not if we want to keep improving and moving forward.

I think Russell Martin.

He was bought in as a new right-back in place of Jon Otsemebor and is as good if not worse.

He is alot more consistant than Otsemebor but I would not have bought him [:$]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Never seen Wes go missing - even against Col U on the opening day.

Most overrated - Theo got the big up from Gunny - "number 1 target" and all that.  But the overrated player would be Simon Lappin, he''s a good League One player but people are talking him up as the League One Xavi Alonso.

[/quote]

I agree with all that. The thing with Hoolahan is that he always, always wants the ball and will actively look to receive it. Even when he''s had a real shocker and things don''t happen he won''t hide - he will just keep plugging away.

Second your Lappin comment and GJP''s mention of Spillane also. But that''s not to say they are dreadful players or anything like that.

Bit harsh to call any of them over-rated when they''ve all played their part in taking us to the top of the league. We''ve had enough dross over the last few years, we should just enjoy the decent times.

Would go for Lappin myself. I think he would be a part of the team that would need replacing if we were to get promotion. However I am not criticising his performances this season they have been first class. I just dont think he has the mobility to play at the level above.

For what is worth I disagree about Spillane. I think he could replace Russell Martin next season at right back. Just think he has that little bit more class about him.

Rudd is good but isnt Steer the one everyone down at Colney raves about. The papers said Chelsea were sniffing around in the summer (I know the News of the Screws arent very reliable though!) It was just a warm up but some of the saves Steer was pulling out down at Wycombe were awesome.

For what its worth I know he isnt a Norwich player but I think Joe Lewis is very overrated. But that being said it would have been nice to have had championship team in it with the likes of

Lewis, Shackell, Spillane, Martin and Smith. All youth products.