Sign in to follow this  
ROBFLECK

Frazer's a bridge too far

Great result for us tonight, so I do not want to spread any gloom... But it''s a dissapointing report that our goalkeeper, probably won''t be playing for us next season. I think Frazer''s been top for us this season and he''s due just as much credit as Holty, Hoolahan, martin, Doc,... I don''t think we''ve got anyone waiting in the wings to fill that spot yet, so there''s a brain buster for you: Who''s going to be our GK next season?

Good question.

You''d hope there might be a glimmer of a chance we get FF on loan for another year if we go up-Harper being first choice number 1 at Newcastle and, probably, Krul remaining number 2. However, that would only give Forster more experience to take back for the long term benefit of his parent club, and hold our two back-Rudd and Steer.

Maybe Newcastle will find themselves in the situation we were in with Louis. There are comparisons. Forster is their third choice and impressing on loan, just as Lewis was with us. Maybe they''ll cash in as well-I don''t think their financial worries are going to vanish if and when they get promotion. If they do sell-it won''t be to us, but, again, if they sell-is Forster going to want to go to somewhere like Arsenal, Spurs etc, and just be back in a reserve team?

As to who our keeper wil be next season-I''d like to think it will be Rudd, with an older, experienced guy as back up-much like Crichton was to Green when he first got in the team. Time will tell. But if Rudd is good enough, his time should be next season.

It will be crucial - it''s quite simple really.

Good Goal keeper = Good season

We never really got over losing Green until now. Forster is and will becaome a top keeper.

Shame we aint got a spare £2m to make him ours.

Lewis would be ideal and he''ll be on his way, especially if Peterborough go down...however, it will be to a Prem club. Besides, they''ll want £1.5-£2 Million for him and will probably get it. Relegation might bring the value down, but we still won''t be able to afford him.

Maybe the thinking is that the older experienced keeper acting as support to Rudd could act as Goalkeeper coach as well?. Perhaps Tony Warner, who has now been freed by Hull I believe?

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Great result for us tonight, so I do not want to spread any gloom... But it''s a dissapointing report that our goalkeeper, probably won''t be playing for us next season. I think Frazer''s been top for us this season and he''s due just as much credit as Holty, Hoolahan, martin, Doc,... I don''t think we''ve got anyone waiting in the wings to fill that spot yet, so there''s a brain buster for you: Who''s going to be our GK next season?[/quote]Declan Rudd???

Declan is a great ''keeper, but young and inexperienced. He deserves a chance, but would it be a good idea to promote him immediately after we''ve gone up...?

Not so sure...

The problem with Rudd, as it is with any young player, is that they will always be inexperienced until they get games.

Its chicken and egg situation-don''t play him as he''s too inexperienced but then he won''t get any experience.

We put Green in the side when he was young, and, apart from 2 games, I think, when Worthy rested him and Crichton played, we never looked back.

We held back with Lewis, he bloomed on loan at Morecambe and look at him now. Maybe we will need to have faith in Rudd from next season, the only way to see if potential equates to ability is through playing; its a tough call but how else do we find out-send him on loan?

Might be a nice problem to have if we go up.

Rudd looked impressive in the games when Forster was suspended. He clearly doesn''t lack confidence, so give him his head, and bring in an experienced back up as a failsafe.

[quote user="Beauseant"]Rudd looked impressive in the games when Forster was suspended. He clearly doesn''t lack confidence, so give him his head, and bring in an experienced back up as a failsafe.[/quote]So would you then assuming we get promoted with a few games to spare, play Rudd and send back FF or send out Rudd now on loan? I rather see us being a bit proactive on this issue personally.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Joe Lewis anyone!?[/quote]If we did get Joe Lewis back...Say we pay 2 mil for him do we also get 25% of the after sale clause from them? :P

[quote user="Tony DaWonderful"][quote user="Beauseant"]Rudd looked impressive in the games when Forster was suspended. He clearly doesn''t lack confidence, so give him his head, and bring in an experienced back up as a failsafe.[/quote]
So would you then assuming we get promoted with a few games to spare, play Rudd and send back FF or send out Rudd now on loan? I rather see us being a bit proactive on this issue personally.
[/quote]

Tricky one, unless we have an immediate recall clause on the loan, but I see where you''re coming from, as any experience will be priceless for him.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Lewis would be ideal and he''ll be on his way, especially if Peterborough go down...however, it will be to a Prem club. Besides, they''ll want £1.5-£2 Million for him and will probably get it. Relegation might bring the value down, but we still won''t be able to afford him.[/quote]Even if he wanted to play in the Championship - assuming that''s where we are next season - I''m not convinced that Joe Lewis is the answer Old Shuck.I was at London Road last night and he was caught out of position several times, particularly in the first half, and was badly at fault for the Ipswich goal. When he left City and quickly went on to make the England squad most of us, myself included, thought that Glenn Roeder had let him go too cheaply. I believe we got an initial £400,000 plus a decent add-on when Posh got promoted last year.Seeing him yesterday he''s a million miles away from the England set-up and it may be that Roeder did a fair bit of business considering he never once played for the City first team.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Old Shuck"]Lewis would be ideal and he''ll be on his way, especially if Peterborough go down...however, it will be to a Prem club. Besides, they''ll want £1.5-£2 Million for him and will probably get it. Relegation might bring the value down, but we still won''t be able to afford him.[/quote]Even if he wanted to play in the Championship - assuming that''s where we are next season - I''m not convinced that Joe Lewis is the answer Old Shuck.I was at London Road last night and he was caught out of position several times, particularly in the first half, and was badly at fault for the Ipswich goal. When he left City and quickly went on to make the England squad most of us, myself included, thought that Glenn Roeder had let him go too cheaply. I believe we got an initial £400,000 plus a decent add-on when Posh got promoted last year.Seeing him yesterday he''s a million miles away from the England set-up and it may be that Roeder did a fair bit of business considering he never once played for the City first team.[/quote]So his form has nothing to do with him playing for a team at the bottom of the league and probably all lacking a bit of confidence. Couple that in with the total balls up as to the management situation at P''boro, and I''d say he wasnt doing too bad. I know about the howler last night, but I also heard he was fairly solid after that.Just think its too easy to write off a player without looking at the whole picture. Especially in this instance.

Interesting to observe the comment about Lewis last night.I''m hoping it is the fact that Peterborough are all over the place to account for any and all errors that might be otherwise seen as his and a sign that he will be, another, promising English keeper to ''not quite'' make the top grade. Someone will take a punt on him, I am sure, if they go down; relegation, as I wrote earlier, possibly affecting what they get for him.What did we end up getting for Marshall in the Summer? Maybe Posh wouldn''t get that much more?Mind you, we probably had to accept any half decent offer for him, Posh might not be in that boat.I''d go with Rudd next year with the "old hand" as back up-I wonder if, to help with costs, the new GK Coach will also be on the playing staff as well?

Everything depends on the fate of Newcastle in the Championship, if they go back to the Prem, I''d say there''s a big chance we can retain Forster on loan next season provided we also go up... they''ve already said they wont be selling him. So the choice is...

Sit on the Newcastle bench in the Prem or continue his development with us (at a higher level than this season - hopefully). Call it a step up. If either Newcastle or Norwich fail to go up, we wont have Forster next season. He''ll be in the Championship with either Newcastle or another club.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="ROBFLECK"] Who''s going to be our GK next season?[/quote]

Our current no 1.

[/quote]According to the official site, Theo still holds the squad number 1 shirt.[:)]