Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

TWTD and WACCOE forums

After last night''s double delight in both an Ipswich and Leeds defeat I would certainly recommend a trawl through these boards if you fancy a bit of light relief.The TWTD board, is, on the whole inhabited by fairly balanced individuals who to be honest put up some pretty reasonable theories as to where and why it''s all gone wrong, and, as a result there is plenty of sensible discussion. To me it almost mirrors our thoughts last season as we did the unthinkable and slid into the Third Division. After last night''s defeat they''re starting to think that they may well do the same. It would of course be the icing on the cake if it did happen - assuming we do go up of course - but I have a feeling that they''ll get out of it. In which case, as small compensation, we will at least have a real local derby to look forward to again. WACCOE, on the other hand, is so off the scale that you almost wonder if it''s a spoof. Hidden amongst all the ranting and raving there are a few sensible posters but the vast majority are completely obsessed with swearing at each other. They sound like they''ve been watching too many Peter Cook and Dudley Moore '' Derek and Clive '' DVD''s from the 1970''s.After each defeat they sit there, growing angrier by the minute pounding away on the keyboards, eyes bulging, veins throbbing........It really is comedy genius.......

Try going back in time and reading the posts on this board last season when we were getting relegated and the scum appointed Keano. Wonder if so many are so jealous now.....

[quote user="Marmite"]And why is it called We Are Champions, Champions Of Europe? Because they neither have been or will be.[/quote]It''s because they feel, with some justification, that they were robbed in the 1975 European Cup Final v Bayern Munich which they lost 2-0. They had a goal disallowed and the ref made some dubious decisions on the night. The ref was later banned for alleged match fixing of other games which added to the '' we wuz robbed '' feeling.Needless to say there was a riot at the match and Leeds were banned from Europe for four years - reduced to two on appeal - although they never suffered for it as they didn''t qualify again for years afterwards.Not one of football''s finest hours....

Have to say, NN, I was one who saluted Ipswich''s ambition-well, perceived ambition-in appointing Keane.He should be an outstanding manager-operative word "should"-played at the highest level, both at club and (when everything fitted his schedule) international level; has played with some great players, and under two great managers-Clough and Ferguson.And yet, and yet...it doesn''t seem to translate from him applying that knowledge, experience and expertise from playing to managing. Neither did it, of course, for Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton amongst others, where-as you get people like Wenger and Mourinho who barely played at any decent level, who are outstanding managers.I think you need to be a communicator and motivator first, to be a decent football manager. All the footballing nous that there is doesn''t matter if you can''t do that, relate to people and deal with everyone individually. You tend to get the feeling that Keane rules "by fear", thats all very well, if respect goes with it, if it doesn''t...well....It looks as if Ipswich are going to persist with him in the hope that it comes good-because, logically, maybe it should?-and he is going to persist because he wants to be a manager, if this doesn''t work for him, his managerial career, certainly in England, could  be finished, certainly at the level he wants to be at. I am surprised that he hasn''t been a good manager, but there are precedents. Will he walk? I don''t think so. Will Ipswich act? We''ll see.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Don''t gloat yet peeps, it might just bite us in the bum, wait until 5pm, May the 8th, for that.[/quote]

Sagacious word Wiz.   Schaudenfraude is better when you are enjoying it not when you are the subject.  We had that last season.

Let us take things modestly and cautiously until things are certain.

As for the WACCOE thing...The 1973 European Cup Winners Cup final saw Leeds lose to AC Milan. The ref in that game made some incredulous decisions and was booed throughout, especially from neutral Greeks at the Athens final. He was later charged and admitted that there had been some underhand goings-on, there has recently been talk of AC Milan being stripped of the title for that year, and Leeds "posthumously" awarded the title of 1973 European Cup Winners Cup Winners-but, as you can never prove they would have won, had the ref not been ''bent'', thats not so easy to do. Same with the 1975 European Cup Final, you look at the goal Leeds had in that game and say why it was disallowed, or the penalty decision that wasn''t given-crazy!

But it wasn''t just that percieved ambition in appointing Keane Old Shuck. It was also the belief that they were minted and had attracted the kind of investment that would take them back to the promised land. There were one or two posters at the time who saw through this. Whichever way they spun it they were desperate and would accept any deal to stop them going under. We have been lucky here with honest owners who, although made mistakes have "put their money where their hearts are" and kept us afloat honestly and legally. Jealousy is a wasteful emotion and misplaced jealousy is an embarrassment too.

Just had a browse of the WACCOE site for the first time ever..........obviously not heard of moderation up there.....thought that it was very funny though that on nearly every thread it only took about 5 messages for everyone to start calling each other c***s!

If they''re so skint that they have to loan out one of the few strikers they have who occasionally looks as though he might score the odd goal they might be stuck with Keane in as far as they may well not be able to afford to part company with him. And he is the best man for the job after all although with Posh looking doomed and Plymouth''s hopes of surviving the drop hanging by a thread they may well only have to avoid the third drop spot.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Marmite"]And why is it called We Are Champions, Champions Of Europe? Because they neither have been or will be.
[/quote]

It''s because they feel, with some justification, that they were robbed in the 1975 European Cup Final v Bayern Munich which they lost 2-0. They had a goal disallowed and the ref made some dubious decisions on the night. The ref was later banned for alleged match fixing of other games which added to the '' we wuz robbed '' feeling.

Needless to say there was a riot at the match and Leeds were banned from Europe for four years - reduced to two on appeal - although they never suffered for it as they didn''t qualify again for years afterwards.

Not one of football''s finest hours....
[/quote]

Okay as we are on the subject of cheats..after hearing,reading then checking the facts,when ipst won the league,2 sheff wed players were later convicted of rhrowing matches with dubious passes to oppo forwards and tackles not needed to give pens away,and other ways to make a fortune on a betting scam...one of the matches in one of their bio`s was...ips...and they only won the league by a point,therefore it was handed to them....Burnley who was in the chase,if i remember reading correctly ,were 2nd and put a motion forward that any match in which sheef wed lost and the culprits played,should be expelled from the records(they didnt play against burnly in 1 of the matches

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Have to say, NN, I was one who saluted Ipswich''s ambition-well, perceived ambition-in appointing Keane.

He should be an outstanding manager-operative word "should"-played at the highest level, both at club and (when everything fitted his schedule) international level; has played with some great players, and under two great managers-Clough and Ferguson.

And yet, and yet...it doesn''t seem to translate from him applying that knowledge, experience and expertise from playing to managing. Neither did it, of course, for Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton amongst others, where-as you get people like Wenger and Mourinho who barely played at any decent level, who are outstanding managers.

I think you need to be a communicator and motivator first, to be a decent football manager. All the footballing nous that there is doesn''t matter if you can''t do that, relate to people and deal with everyone individually. You tend to get the feeling that Keane rules "by fear", thats all very well, if respect goes with it, if it doesn''t...well....
[/quote]

Think I agree with you there. These days I suspect football management is 75% man management and 24.9% media / fan management. Coaching no longer applies... that''s why you have an assistant and coaches in your backroom. So naturally, you don''t NEED to be a top level footballer to be a top level manager. Alot of high profile players do well because they get more opportunities initially... some will hold their own by using existing links within the game from past playing career... others will crash and burn... John Barnes anyone?

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Don''t gloat yet peeps, it might just bite us in the bum, wait until 5pm, May the 8th, for that.[/quote]

Sagacious word Wiz.   Schaudenfraude is better when you are enjoying it not when you are the subject.  We had that last season.

Let us take things modestly and cautiously until things are certain.

[/quote]I think this would be more appropriate for Leeds"We Are ****''s, ****''s Of Europe

Which is why I''m not joing in any celebration of Twon going down or us winning the league; too many games to go. I believe we will go up of course.

WACCOE is an endless source of amusement, I don''t like to gloat, but even in our darkest days it was never like that on here.

[quote user="jelltex"]Which is why I''m not joing in any celebration of Twon going down or us winning the league; too many games to go. I believe we will go up of course.

WACCOE is an endless source of amusement, I don''t like to gloat, but even in our darkest days it was never like that on here.[/quote]Lol, oh yes it was.Only difference is moderation kept the language in check.