Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Is Football Going Stale?

Whilst events on the pitch have made for interesting viewing of late for Norwich fans, I can''t help finding myself somewhat jaded with football in general.  As I write I''m sat watching Championship ''Crisis-Club'' Crystal Palace take on Premiership top-4 contenders Aston Villa - the game itself is fine, but there''s an overwhelming feeling of predictability about the whole thing.  The Eagles are in serious financial trouble and find themselves floundering towards the bottom of the second tier, but at the time of writing they sit level on goals with the Premiership big-boys and its just so... boring!  Every time Palace have gone forward this half, the turgid ITV commentary team spout incoherent drivel about giant-killings and that awful made-up word ''Cupsets'', trying to fool you into believing that this makes it in some way exciting.  Smaller teams beating bigger teams in cup competitions has always happened, they will always happen; they''re nothing new.  Like Leeds before them, Palace may indeed come out on top in this game and enjoy the plaudits for a brief period, until they are inevitably knocked out by Tottenham in the next round as the FA Cup marches on towards yet another all-Premiership final.  Even if the improbable were to happen, and Palace or another lower-league club make it all the way to the final, all we''ll end up with is an hour of Smug Andy Townsend''s face spewing forth about the ''magic of the FA Cup'' before conceding that defeat was always likely following the effortless trouncing by Manchester City.And what about the Champion''s League (a name which should be subject to false advertising regulations), which begins again this week.  Undoubtedly there''s some big games coming up in the form of Manchester United vs AC Milan, but we can almost write the pre-match script now (and I suspect that''s already true).  Fergie vs Beckham, this will be billed as.  Pre-match reports will concentrate on the relationship between student and mentor and the footballing divorce that brought the love story to an end.  Flying boots will be mentioned frequently, as will The Artist Formerly Known As Posh Spice.  If we''re lucky, we might get treated to a detailed analysis of the tactics the teams will unleash on each other in a bid for victory, but I wouldn''t hold your breath for two reasons: a) its highly unlikely either team will really ''go for it'' for a good hour, and b) the only tactical analysis Sky know how to do is wiggling the players'' mugshots over a CG pitch.Then there''s the language of football.  Whilst the beautiful game hasn''t exactly found itself a gold-mine of sharp wit and intelligence over the years, there have in the past at least been a few colourful characters to enjoy, both on and off the pitch.  But the legend of Mourinho has long since departed, Strachan has become too grumpy, and even the fabled terrace humour has become somewhat run-of-the-mill.  Look at today''s Bolton vs Spurs FA Cup game.  Take two dour managers, add a commentary team reading direct from the Big Book of Footballing Cliches, sprinkle in a crowd whose only spark was shouting ''freak'' at Peter Crouch (about four or five years out of fashion most places), and it all adds up to a cup-tie that, whilst not entirely displeasing as a viewing spectacle, still failed to rouse the imagination.Even football telly has begun to misfire.  Match of the Day has squeezed just about every soundbite possible out of the likes of Hansen, Lineker and Lawro, and whilst the Football League Show makes a decent fist of the difficult job of balancing so many games, they''ve still managed to find some of the worst pundits available and are now resorting to provoking fans in order to get them to text in (the lovely Jacqui Oatley''s dig at Norwich last night being a case in point).All over the country, football is slowly descending into a stale product best enjoyed with large consumptions of alcohol to numb the senses.  The Premiership has been predictable for years, and now it seems the rest of the world is following suit.  The World Cup will undoubtedly capture the imagination at points, but how many games will be end-to-end goal-fests, and how many will be like 2006''s Ukraine vs Switzerland 0-0?  Any respite will be brief, before things come full circle and the football leagues kick off again in August and the whole charade starts all over again, complete with the same commentating clices, the same management soundbites, the same chants and the same refereeing cock-ups.  I''m even willing to bet that come September, at least one commentator has spent a period of time during a Man Utd game talking about Christiano Ronaldo...So what''s going on, and how can we return the spark that is so deperately needed to keep people interested in more than just their own clubs?

Topical post for your 5K Monkey.

I bet the crowds for the Premiership Teams in the FA Cup were disappointing overall too.

Football has lost its aspirational edge and seems to be losing its entertainment too.

But not for us this year. We have seen some great entertainment; cracking goals; welcomed REAL fans and enjoyed the success.

Many of us care not that it is League One and if Leeds and ourselves had got to Wembley it would have rivalled the FA Cup Final or probably beaten it as a football supporter occasion.

Is it me or have the Championship games seemed dour too. How that league cries out for the likes of Norwich, Leeds, Charlton, Southampton, Swindon, Huddesfield and other real football Clubs.

How those in charge of the Premier League would love to swap half the clubs there for teams in leagues below who have history, support and appeal.

I have always thought we might get a Premier League one and two with the money more evenly spread. But if I had my way, four clubs could be told to piss off and play in Europe full time and the money would be split evenly amongst the other 88 with hard line debt rules.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Whilst events on the pitch have made for interesting viewing of late for Norwich fans, I can''t help finding myself somewhat jaded with football in general.  As I write I''m sat watching Championship ''Crisis-Club'' Crystal Palace take on Premiership top-4 contenders Aston Villa - the game itself is fine, but there''s an overwhelming feeling of predictability about the whole thing.  The Eagles are in serious financial trouble and find themselves floundering towards the bottom of the second tier, but at the time of writing they sit level on goals with the Premiership big-boys and its just so... boring! 

Every time Palace have gone forward this half, the turgid ITV commentary team spout incoherent drivel about giant-killings and that awful made-up word ''Cupsets'', trying to fool you into believing that this makes it in some way exciting.  Smaller teams beating bigger teams in cup competitions has always happened, they will always happen; they''re nothing new.  Like Leeds before them, Palace may indeed come out on top in this game and enjoy the plaudits for a brief period, until they are inevitably knocked out by Tottenham in the next round as the FA Cup marches on towards yet another all-Premiership final. 

Even if the improbable were to happen, and Palace or another lower-league club make it all the way to the final, all we''ll end up with is an hour of Smug Andy Townsend''s face spewing forth about the ''magic of the FA Cup'' before conceding that defeat was always likely following the effortless trouncing by Manchester City.

And what about the Champion''s League (a name which should be subject to false advertising regulations), which begins again this week.  Undoubtedly there''s some big games coming up in the form of Manchester United vs AC Milan, but we can almost write the pre-match script now (and I suspect that''s already true).  Fergie vs Beckham, this will be billed as.  Pre-match reports will concentrate on the relationship between student and mentor and the footballing divorce that brought the love story to an end.  Flying boots will be mentioned frequently, as will The Artist Formerly Known As Posh Spice.  If we''re lucky, we might get treated to a detailed analysis of the tactics the teams will unleash on each other in a bid for victory, but I wouldn''t hold your breath for two reasons: a) its highly unlikely either team will really ''go for it'' for a good hour, and b) the only tactical analysis Sky know how to do is wiggling the players'' mugshots over a CG pitch.

Then there''s the language of football.  Whilst the beautiful game hasn''t exactly found itself a gold-mine of sharp wit and intelligence over the years, there have in the past at least been a few colourful characters to enjoy, both on and off the pitch.  But the legend of Mourinho has long since departed, Strachan has become too grumpy, and even the fabled terrace humour has become somewhat run-of-the-mill. 

Look at today''s Bolton vs Spurs FA Cup game.  Take two dour managers, add a commentary team reading direct from the Big Book of Footballing Cliches, sprinkle in a crowd whose only spark was shouting ''freak'' at Peter Crouch (about four or five years out of fashion most places), and it all adds up to a cup-tie that, whilst not entirely displeasing as a viewing spectacle, still failed to rouse the imagination.

Even football telly has begun to misfire.  Match of the Day has squeezed just about every soundbite possible out of the likes of Hansen, Lineker and Lawro, and whilst the Football League Show makes a decent fist of the difficult job of balancing so many games, they''ve still managed to find some of the worst pundits available and are now resorting to provoking fans in order to get them to text in (the lovely Jacqui Oatley''s dig at Norwich last night being a case in point).

All over the country, football is slowly descending into a stale product best enjoyed with large consumptions of alcohol to numb the senses.  The Premiership has been predictable for years, and now it seems the rest of the world is following suit.  The World Cup will undoubtedly capture the imagination at points, but how many games will be end-to-end goal-fests, and how many will be like 2006''s Ukraine vs Switzerland 0-0?  Any respite will be brief, before things come full circle and the football leagues kick off again in August and the whole charade starts all over again, complete with the same commentating clices, the same management soundbites, the same chants and the same refereeing cock-ups.  I''m even willing to bet that come September, at least one commentator has spent a period of time during a Man Utd game talking about Christiano Ronaldo...

So what''s going on, and how can we return the spark that is so deperately needed to keep people interested in more than just their own clubs?
[/quote]

Yep. There''s far too much of it...... and we know far too much about the people involved in it. Once the mystery and wonder of all things become commonplace then the magic dies.

There''s nothing which can be done to prevent us turning into our fathers.... who said precisely the same things when the game changed beyond all recognition as they knew it.

Welcome to the world of disillusionment Evil!

PS. I told you that "man made global warming" was a load of old bollox didn''t I?   [;)]

Interesting.My family are all Arsenal fans apart from myself and my father so we generally cast half an eye towards the gooners to see whats going on.I must admit that I have become generally dis-interested with the Premiership and find myself now following the progress of certain managers or players rather than a club. Im not interested in the whole Liverpool dying and Chelski and ManC now fighting with the big boys because i find the influx of money from these clubs simple digusting. Although its real life I cant help thinking that some place somewhere a someone at Chelski or ManC dropped thier console and typed in the "money cheat". Football is traditionally a WORKING CLASS gameWith all the affluence and appeal has it now become a GENTLEMANS or RICH MANS game ?Maybe this class switch has left many dis-interested.

Personally I think its because we are in league One..I will hand on heart say that im loving this season, the drama from yesterday being an example.I think if we were in the Prem I would be more interested in Rooneys form of Pompeys Plight.

Hey EV, always enjoy your posts.I have had similar feelings recently towards football. My biggest annoyance coming when i watched the recent Chelsea vs Arsenal game. In my opinion Chelsea played the most negative football i have seen in a long time. In the 60th minute i witnessed Lampard clearing the ball into the Arsenal half, under no pressure whatsoever, to run down the clock. How can one of the biggest names in English football be content, and proud, with the football that was played that game.The media coverage was bizarre afterwards. Attacking Wenger and his desire for good, eye-catching football. Then to read pundits applauding Chelsea, suggesting Chelsea taught them a lesson in football. How come it has become part of english football to riducule exciting football and celebrate the negative style?I think the problem is that there is too much pressure on the result. No longer is it as simplistic as a spectators  sport, where you have to excite the crowd with the latest trick/step over. Clubs have become franchises. Due to the amount of dept being held against assets, it has now become imperative to keep the value of the business at it''s highest peak.Maybe this is why Arsenal are able to be one of the few clubs where its main aim is to play attractive football, because the finances have been kept in order, and are not so prone to fluxuations causing fear with bankruptcy just round the corner. The fact that they also don''t have one, billionaire, owner demanding results means they don''t have to answer due to one poor result.Sadly, due to the money, there is less excitement. I can''t imagine another team doing a Norwich in ''93 without doing a Leeds straight after. The biggest question i have is, how can players be happy playing such tactical football without any freedom for creativity? The demand for clinical over the spectical has become too much in my opinion.

I think this season has been one of the most exciting premier league seasons for years. 3 teams still in the title race, just, 4 or 5 battling for 4th and 3 out of 4 big teams out the FA cup.

I do agree that money is ruining the game, which is why i beleive next seasons champ will be one of the poorest for a long time. Until someone at Fifa/FA grows a pair and puts salary caps and spreads the tv money more evenly, then its only gonna get worse.

As for the football itself, you always play football to your strengths. Arsenals strength is pace and passing, Chelsea use pace and power and be more physical as shown by 2 of the most powerful players in the air, Terry and Drogba. Chelsea got the plaudits because Arsenal were nulified in the final 3rd, not strong enough in midfield and too slow at the back for the 2nd week running. Any team will try and time waste when 2-0 up against Arsenal. Chelsea man for man are better than Arsenal, but Arsenal on their day can beat anyone because of their flair and pace. I''d rather win ugly than lose playing nice football, dunno bout you lot.

Arsenal do have a billionaire on the board, forget his name but hes close to a takeover, only needs about 0.5% of the shares more then he has to buy the lot. Arsenal are no different to the other teams, just Wenger is more stubborn than some of the other managers which is his own downful and why they wont win anything again this season. Why didn''t Arsenal buy a target man striker which they are so desperately crying out for to replace Adebayor? and why didn''t they give Fabregas a partner in midfield to shoulder the burden?

What Arsenal fail to see is that games against the other big 4 are not must wins, they are must not lose, which is what Chelsea and Man U make sure of each time they are involved.

[quote user="jed exodous"]I think this season has been one of the most exciting premier league seasons for years. 3 teams still in the title race, just, 4 or 5 battling for 4th and 3 out of 4 big teams out the FA cup. I do agree that money is ruining the game, which is why i beleive next seasons champ will be one of the poorest for a long time. Until someone at Fifa/FA grows a pair and puts salary caps and spreads the tv money more evenly, then its only gonna get worse. As for the football itself, you always play football to your strengths. Arsenals strength is pace and passing, Chelsea use pace and power and be more physical as shown by 2 of the most powerful players in the air, Terry and Drogba. Chelsea got the plaudits because Arsenal were nulified in the final 3rd, not strong enough in midfield and too slow at the back for the 2nd week running. Any team will try and time waste when 2-0 up against Arsenal. Chelsea man for man are better than Arsenal, but Arsenal on their day can beat anyone because of their flair and pace. I''d rather win ugly than lose playing nice football, dunno bout you lot. Arsenal do have a billionaire on the board, forget his name but hes close to a takeover, only needs about 0.5% of the shares more then he has to buy the lot. Arsenal are no different to the other teams, just Wenger is more stubborn than some of the other managers which is his own downful and why they wont win anything again this season. Why didn''t Arsenal buy a target man striker which they are so desperately crying out for to replace Adebayor? and why didn''t they give Fabregas a partner in midfield to shoulder the burden? What Arsenal fail to see is that games against the other big 4 are not must wins, they are must not lose, which is what Chelsea and Man U make sure of each time they are involved.[/quote]

Apparently arsenal thought they was getting saha but the deal callapsed right on deadline day

[quote user="jed exodous"]I think this season has been one of the most exciting premier league seasons for years. 3 teams still in the title race, just, 4 or 5 battling for 4th and 3 out of 4 big teams out the FA cup. I do agree that money is ruining the game, which is why i beleive next seasons champ will be one of the poorest for a long time. Until someone at Fifa/FA grows a pair and puts salary caps and spreads the tv money more evenly, then its only gonna get worse. As for the football itself, you always play football to your strengths. Arsenals strength is pace and passing, Chelsea use pace and power and be more physical as shown by 2 of the most powerful players in the air, Terry and Drogba. Chelsea got the plaudits because Arsenal were nulified in the final 3rd, not strong enough in midfield and too slow at the back for the 2nd week running. Any team will try and time waste when 2-0 up against Arsenal. Chelsea man for man are better than Arsenal, but Arsenal on their day can beat anyone because of their flair and pace. I''d rather win ugly than lose playing nice football, dunno bout you lot. Arsenal do have a billionaire on the board, forget his name but hes close to a takeover, only needs about 0.5% of the shares more then he has to buy the lot. Arsenal are no different to the other teams, just Wenger is more stubborn than some of the other managers which is his own downful and why they wont win anything again this season. Why didn''t Arsenal buy a target man striker which they are so desperately crying out for to replace Adebayor? and why didn''t they give Fabregas a partner in midfield to shoulder the burden? What Arsenal fail to see is that games against the other big 4 are not must wins, they are must not lose, which is what Chelsea and Man U make sure of each time they are involved.[/quote]

Apparently arsenal thought they was getting saha but the deal callapsed right on deadline day

I didn''t hear that one, Saha is a decent player, always struggled with injuries, i think if you offered Saha to most Arsenal fans, they probably wouldn''t be too impressed. Also, the transfer window is 31 days long, this is a problem they''ve had really since Henry left.

Let me just take a step back, i''m almost sounding like i care about Arsenal or Chelsea, i dont really care what happens in the Prem until we''re there, which will hopefully be in the next 2 or 3 seasons.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Whilst events on the pitch have made for interesting viewing of late for Norwich fans, I can''t help finding myself somewhat jaded with football in general.  As I write I''m sat watching Championship ''Crisis-Club'' Crystal Palace take on Premiership top-4 contenders Aston Villa - the game itself is fine, but there''s an overwhelming feeling of predictability about the whole thing.  The Eagles are in serious financial trouble and find themselves floundering towards the bottom of the second tier, but at the time of writing they sit level on goals with the Premiership big-boys and its just so... boring! 

Every time Palace have gone forward this half, the turgid ITV commentary team spout incoherent drivel about giant-killings and that awful made-up word ''Cupsets'', trying to fool you into believing that this makes it in some way exciting.  Smaller teams beating bigger teams in cup competitions has always happened, they will always happen; they''re nothing new.  Like Leeds before them, Palace may indeed come out on top in this game and enjoy the plaudits for a brief period, until they are inevitably knocked out by Tottenham in the next round as the FA Cup marches on towards yet another all-Premiership final. 

Even if the improbable were to happen, and Palace or another lower-league club make it all the way to the final, all we''ll end up with is an hour of Smug Andy Townsend''s face spewing forth about the ''magic of the FA Cup'' before conceding that defeat was always likely following the effortless trouncing by Manchester City.

And what about the Champion''s League (a name which should be subject to false advertising regulations), which begins again this week.  Undoubtedly there''s some big games coming up in the form of Manchester United vs AC Milan, but we can almost write the pre-match script now (and I suspect that''s already true).  Fergie vs Beckham, this will be billed as.  Pre-match reports will concentrate on the relationship between student and mentor and the footballing divorce that brought the love story to an end.  Flying boots will be mentioned frequently, as will The Artist Formerly Known As Posh Spice.  If we''re lucky, we might get treated to a detailed analysis of the tactics the teams will unleash on each other in a bid for victory, but I wouldn''t hold your breath for two reasons: a) its highly unlikely either team will really ''go for it'' for a good hour, and b) the only tactical analysis Sky know how to do is wiggling the players'' mugshots over a CG pitch.

Then there''s the language of football.  Whilst the beautiful game hasn''t exactly found itself a gold-mine of sharp wit and intelligence over the years, there have in the past at least been a few colourful characters to enjoy, both on and off the pitch.  But the legend of Mourinho has long since departed, Strachan has become too grumpy, and even the fabled terrace humour has become somewhat run-of-the-mill. 

Look at today''s Bolton vs Spurs FA Cup game.  Take two dour managers, add a commentary team reading direct from the Big Book of Footballing Cliches, sprinkle in a crowd whose only spark was shouting ''freak'' at Peter Crouch (about four or five years out of fashion most places), and it all adds up to a cup-tie that, whilst not entirely displeasing as a viewing spectacle, still failed to rouse the imagination.

Even football telly has begun to misfire.  Match of the Day has squeezed just about every soundbite possible out of the likes of Hansen, Lineker and Lawro, and whilst the Football League Show makes a decent fist of the difficult job of balancing so many games, they''ve still managed to find some of the worst pundits available and are now resorting to provoking fans in order to get them to text in (the lovely Jacqui Oatley''s dig at Norwich last night being a case in point).

All over the country, football is slowly descending into a stale product best enjoyed with large consumptions of alcohol to numb the senses.  The Premiership has been predictable for years, and now it seems the rest of the world is following suit.  The World Cup will undoubtedly capture the imagination at points, but how many games will be end-to-end goal-fests, and how many will be like 2006''s Ukraine vs Switzerland 0-0?  Any respite will be brief, before things come full circle and the football leagues kick off again in August and the whole charade starts all over again, complete with the same commentating clices, the same management soundbites, the same chants and the same refereeing cock-ups.  I''m even willing to bet that come September, at least one commentator has spent a period of time during a Man Utd game talking about Christiano Ronaldo...

So what''s going on, and how can we return the spark that is so deperately needed to keep people interested in more than just their own clubs?
[/quote]

Cracking post. One which I think is summed up perfectly by Mitchell and Webb who rip Sky for packaging and over saturating the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_uOgyBK1c

It might be stale now.....but come June - and if our National side is doing well in the World Cup.....

They''ll be replica England shirts, silly hats, scarves and flags.....Drunks spillin'' onto the Streets, pubs profits rising and all the other money spinnin'' ventures coming to the fore.....on the back of some limited success.

Stale?       

For the moment, I do suppose it is.

It''s all peaks and troughs......When it peaks, everyone wants their snouts in the troughs....

Well thought out post EM, and congratulations on the 5K!

There is no doubt that the fact that football is wall to wall on TV thanks to Sky does have a dulling effect, but I would also suggest that the work of the cretin Blatter and his cronies is also a factor in sanitising the game to it''s current anodyne state as a near non-contact sport at the highest level. I grew up with Liverpool, Forest and Derby involved in midweek battles against exotic European opposition on pitches that would often have made Colchester''s look like Wembley. Now I can watch Real and Barcelona pretty much whenever I want, and keep in touch with all the major European leagues on a weekly basis. The world has become very small.

The problem is that football has  become such a universal product that there is little in the way of national styles any more. If Romeo Benetti were starting his career in Serie A now, he wouldn''t last five minutes, yet he was the archetypal Italian midfield destroyer in the 70s. Our game maybe is a little more physical than some national leagues, but I don''t think there''s much in it anymore. For me, one of the few consoling things about being in League One is that there is still the odd echo of the blood and guts game that I grew up with, but even that is fading fast.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

It might be stale now.....but come June - and if our National side is doing well in the World Cup.....

They''ll be replica England shirts, silly hats, scarves and flags.....Drunks spillin'' onto the Streets, pubs profits rising and all the other money spinnin'' ventures coming to the fore.....on the back of some limited success.

Stale?       

For the moment, I do suppose it is.

It''s all peaks and troughs......When it peaks, everyone wants their snouts in the troughs....

[/quote]

Yep your spot on. If England do well in the World Cup the whole Country will be gripped,  just wait for the new PM, who ever it is, coming out to claim credit!  

Try the following recipe.

Don''t tune in to a live game until the whistle blows and do something else during halftime.

Record summary programmes like MoD, FLS and Sky ''whatevers''. Then whiz through the tape at your leisure just looking at what you want to.

Tape delay live matches you can''t make - and try to avoid knowing the result before watching.

Just watch the last 30+ mins of FA Cup games.

Don''t watch the first leg of Champions League matches.

Take 2/3 weeks off for the World Cup Finals and immerse yourself. You''ll learn an awful lot - particularly if you can avoid the British coverage and find yourself in a country where every match is carried live in English English (tip - much of the Caribbean).

Get on board the Bowkett/McNallyLambert wagon - and enjoy!!

Try to get out and see a live match at least once a month. Level doesn''t really matter so long as you appreciate the particular context.

Only scan the headlines on the sports pages.

If necessary take a 2 week break and tune in and enjoy some cricket! Good cricket is hard to beat.

But above all remember your yellow and green. We''re different. We''re Norwich City.

So there we are. That should have fixed you up. I''ll get my bill off in the morning.

[;)]

OTBC

Good post Evil Monkey and I agree with the sentiments of Rudolph. The truth of the matter is the the Champions Plus The Teams That Came Second, Third and Fourth League is the be all and end all for the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea etc. The FA Cup means absolutely sod all to them, the irony is that despite this it will be two Premier League clubs contesting the final and one of those is likely to be Chelsea....

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Good post Evil Monkey and I agree with the sentiments of Rudolph. The truth of the matter is the the Champions Plus The Teams That Came Second, Third and Fourth League is the be all and end all for the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea etc. The FA Cup means absolutely sod all to them, the irony is that despite this it will be two Premier League clubs contesting the final and one of those is likely to be Chelsea....[/quote]

martin o''neill was asked today

"why such as strong team"

in which he replied "its the FA Cup"

so some managers still take it dead serious. All teams love the FA Cup when their in it, but once their out the excuses start coming out.

Yes, for to long now there has been an assumption that things will just continue, and the gravy train will carry on, but maybe the drip drip drip of alienation will become a pool of resentment, and the game really will have to wake up to just how corrupt and bankrupt it is. I for one will never support Norwich back in the ''cartel'' league as for me it has gone just to far. I would happily watch the youth team, and catch the results on the radio. Who would of thought it would come to this, a league owned, managed, and played in by foreigners? The odd thing being foreigners are a really positive influence in the game, but in this country we seem to want to seduce the most dubious unfit and improper people into our game. WHEN IT ALL GOES DOWN, I''LL STILL BE AROUND.

Great post EM. A nice variation of the ''is money ruining the game'' posts we''ve had recently that i''ve written far too much in already. Suffice to say more and more people are feeling that something''s not right with the game.

So i''ll just agree with Yarm''s nod to the brilliant sketch by Mitchell and Web - love that!

All these reasons, I think, is why we have all enjoyed League 1 this season.

We have welcomed some real fans who are properly passionate about their club, and there has been some good banter.
We have been to some really traditional old grounds, where you stand on the terrace and the atmosphere is back to what it should be.
We have been in games where the ''hard'' tackle has been aplauded and not been looked down upon.
We are not playing teams who think that because they have a big bowl shaped ground that they are big clubs.

Overall we are playing proper clubs, proper football and it has been just like the old days.  It will be good to get back to the Chamiponship, but I''m going to miss this league.

And all this money in football.  These days you have to be rich to do well, but who would really want to be a Chelsea or United fan and know your guarenteed 1st or second place each season, and boringly win every game?

We are a proper club, in a proper league, and it''s great.

I disagree about the Palace vs Villa game. I though it was quite unpredictable!

three weeks ago I saw Scunthorpe going 2-3 against Man City, and they could have been closer!

Chelsea I find very predictable!

[quote user="jed exodous"]I think this season has been one of the most exciting premier league seasons for years. 3 teams still in the title race, just, 4 or 5 battling for 4th and 3 out of 4 big teams out the FA cup.

I do agree that money is ruining the game, which is why i beleive next seasons champ will be one of the poorest for a long time. Until someone at Fifa/FA grows a pair and puts salary caps and spreads the tv money more evenly, then its only gonna get worse.

As for the football itself, you always play football to your strengths. Arsenals strength is pace and passing, Chelsea use pace and power and be more physical as shown by 2 of the most powerful players in the air, Terry and Drogba. Chelsea got the plaudits because Arsenal were nulified in the final 3rd, not strong enough in midfield and too slow at the back for the 2nd week running. Any team will try and time waste when 2-0 up against Arsenal. Chelsea man for man are better than Arsenal, but Arsenal on their day can beat anyone because of their flair and pace. I''d rather win ugly than lose playing nice football, dunno bout you lot.

Arsenal do have a billionaire on the board, forget his name but hes close to a takeover, only needs about 0.5% of the shares more then he has to buy the lot. Arsenal are no different to the other teams, just Wenger is more stubborn than some of the other managers which is his own downful and why they wont win anything again this season. Why didn''t Arsenal buy a target man striker which they are so desperately crying out for to replace Adebayor? and why didn''t they give Fabregas a partner in midfield to shoulder the burden?

What Arsenal fail to see is that games against the other big 4 are not must wins, they are must not lose, which is what Chelsea and Man U make sure of each time they are involved.[/quote]What I am suggesting Jed is that Arsenal don''t have a majority shareholder billionaire. Yes, they have a wealthy shareholder but there are many shareholders with the shares divided fairly equally. Arsenal didn''t buy a forward because they felt that Bendtner could cover while Van Persie was fit and they could wait for Chamach to run out his contract so will got him for free. Arsenal are the only team that seem to work within their means, something that should be applauded, not questioned constantly by the media. If the Glaziers/Ambramovich/Liverpool owners leave then the clubs will be in turmoil. Arsenal don''t have that issue due to the highest shareholder only holding a 29% share.

I think we''re at the stage of the season when the Christmas matches are over and the title/promotion/relegation deciders are still to come when football can feel a bit stale at times - I think February is a month when people generally feel a bit fed up anyway! [:D]  Also there is no doubt that the obsession with money is turning people off the game. But I have seen encouraging signs in the FA Cup that there is still some romance left - managers are fielding stronger teams in the competition than in previous years and most of the matches I''ve seen have been full of passion and excitement.

[quote user="Boyo"]

All these reasons, I think, is why we have all enjoyed League 1 this season.

We have welcomed some real fans who are properly passionate about their club, and there has been some good banter.We have been to some really traditional old grounds, where you stand on the terrace and the atmosphere is back to what it should be.We have been in games where the ''hard'' tackle has been aplauded and not been looked down upon.We are not playing teams who think that because they have a big bowl shaped ground that they are big clubs.

Overall we are playing proper clubs, proper football and it has been just like the old days.  It will be good to get back to the Chamiponship, but I''m going to miss this league.

And all this money in football.  These days you have to be rich to do well, but who would really want to be a Chelsea or United fan and know your guarenteed 1st or second place each season, and boringly win every game?

We are a proper club, in a proper league, and it''s great.

[/quote]I pretty much agree with all of that, the trouble is that too many fans, rather than seeing the positive side of this season would rather sneer about past years failure and how we have fallen from our "glory" days.For me the cup is half full right now.

Oh boo hoo!

Just another boring old fart trying to be little the current generation of football and give it the old "it''s not like it was back in my day" rubbish. Sorry but i''m so tiered of hearing this, maybe because i''m younger than most on here and didn''t watch football in the 70s and 80s, but is modern football really that bad or do you just miss "the good old days" when football was different to what it is today and your life in general was probably alot more enjoyable at that time, hence why you feel the need to knock modern football.

It''s kind of funny how the older generation love to moan about modern day football and claim that football is dead while at the same time tuning into the lastets Live Barclays Premiership game on SkySports, going to modern day football grounds and reading all the latest gossip about the next multi million pound transfer deal to one of Europes biggest football clubs.

I really don''t think football is anywhere near as bad as the old timers like to make out. The standard of football is better than it ever was, the atmosphere is not quite so good but still decent, the stadiums are superb and attending a football match is now a safe environment for families, hence the increase in the number of family clubs across Britain. I''m not worried about the future of football, the passion and love for the sport is as strong as it ever has been both in England and across the world.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]Oh boo hoo! Just another boring old fart trying to be little the current generation of football and give it the old "it''s not like it was back in my day" rubbish. Sorry but i''m so tiered of hearing this, maybe because i''m younger than most on here and didn''t watch football in the 70s and 80s, but is modern football really that bad or do you just miss "the good old days" when football was different to what it is today and your life in general was probably alot more enjoyable at that time, hence why you feel the need to knock modern football. It''s kind of funny how the older generation love to moan about modern day football and claim that football is dead while at the same time tuning into the lastets Live Barclays Premiership game on SkySports, going to modern day football grounds and reading all the latest gossip about the next multi million pound transfer deal to one of Europes biggest football clubs. I really don''t think football is anywhere near as bad as the old timers like to make out. The standard of football is better than it ever was, the atmosphere is not quite so good but still decent, the stadiums are superb and attending a football match is now a safe environment for families, hence the increase in the number of family clubs across Britain. I''m not worried about the future of football, the passion and love for the sport is as strong as it ever has been both in England and across the world.[/quote]

I don''t think that it''s merely a case of nostalgia.

Norwich fans and indeed fans of 96% of the clubs in this country have had to adjust to the fact that there is now a glass ceiling. Football is a closed shop, with a cartel at the top winning everything.

This is a situation which was never the case up to and including the first few years of the Murdoch League.

Previous to our near miss in ''93, I remember Watford and Swansea coming close, not to mention Forest winning tle top division straight after promotion.

This is no longer the case and football is less appealing because of it.

[quote user="Matthias son of Deuteronomy of Gath"]

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]Oh boo hoo! Just another boring old fart trying to be little the current generation of football and give it the old "it''s not like it was back in my day" rubbish. Sorry but i''m so tiered of hearing this, maybe because i''m younger than most on here and didn''t watch football in the 70s and 80s, but is modern football really that bad or do you just miss "the good old days" when football was different to what it is today and your life in general was probably alot more enjoyable at that time, hence why you feel the need to knock modern football. It''s kind of funny how the older generation love to moan about modern day football and claim that football is dead while at the same time tuning into the lastets Live Barclays Premiership game on SkySports, going to modern day football grounds and reading all the latest gossip about the next multi million pound transfer deal to one of Europes biggest football clubs. I really don''t think football is anywhere near as bad as the old timers like to make out. The standard of football is better than it ever was, the atmosphere is not quite so good but still decent, the stadiums are superb and attending a football match is now a safe environment for families, hence the increase in the number of family clubs across Britain. I''m not worried about the future of football, the passion and love for the sport is as strong as it ever has been both in England and across the world.[/quote]

I don''t think that it''s merely a case of nostalgia.

Norwich fans and indeed fans of 96% of the clubs in this country have had to adjust to the fact that there is now a glass ceiling. Football is a closed shop, with a cartel at the top winning everything.

This is a situation which was never the case up to and including the first few years of the Murdoch League.

Previous to our near miss in ''93, I remember Watford and Swansea coming close, not to mention Forest winning tle top division straight after promotion.

This is no longer the case and football is less appealing because of it.

[/quote]The thing is, as much as I agree with what you say, I also agree with Wembley canary too.If you don''t like it you know where the door is. If you don''t like something in your life then change it, but don''t just whine on about it.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]Oh boo hoo!

Just another boring old fart trying to be little the current generation of football and give it the old "it''s not like it was back in my day" rubbish. Sorry but i''m so tiered of hearing this, maybe because i''m younger than most on here and didn''t watch football in the 70s and 80s, but is modern football really that bad or do you just miss "the good old days" when football was different to what it is today and your life in general was probably alot more enjoyable at that time, hence why you feel the need to knock modern football.

It''s kind of funny how the older generation love to moan about modern day football and claim that football is dead while at the same time tuning into the lastets Live Barclays Premiership game on SkySports, going to modern day football grounds and reading all the latest gossip about the next multi million pound transfer deal to one of Europes biggest football clubs.

I really don''t think football is anywhere near as bad as the old timers like to make out. The standard of football is better than it ever was, the atmosphere is not quite so good but still decent, the stadiums are superb and attending a football match is now a safe environment for families, hence the increase in the number of family clubs across Britain. I''m not worried about the future of football, the passion and love for the sport is as strong as it ever has been both in England and across the world.[/quote]I am pretty sure EV isn''t exactly old......I would say it has changed dramatically in the last 10 years. Am I being an old fart that i can remember Euro 96?

Good post Evil Monkey and well done with 5k quality posts[Y]

I find myself agreeing with Wembley too! Although I think I''m far more of an old fart than most on here!

Firstly I do think there''s a disproportianate amount message board users who love a good moan! It''s like "letters to the editor" or BBC''s "points of view". People are motivated more when they are displeased with something and there''s not a lot wrong at our club this season. Even the Doc and Delia whingers are looking a bit daft[;)]

But the real point is the one I made about the NOTW last week. It''s supply and demand. The Sky TV money ultimately comes from subscribers. If the coverage was not what the subscribers wanted surely the money would run out. It''s rather like the saturation of soaps and reality TV. For all the complaints it''s what the customer wants. Because if it wasn''t they would have to change it or go under. So ultimately unless we are all paying for a product we don''t want we are getting exactly what we pay for.

Is it that simple Nutty, that the Sky coverage is what people want. Do they have a choice?

If what we see on the pitch is not what we want, and lets face it for most fans it''s not, we still go and watch. If i had sky, and i don''t, i would watch every game they showed just because it''s there. That''s why i don''t have it because i know the evil powers it would have over me!! Oh and also because i object to the exorbitant cost and the fact that too much of the proceeds end in the pockets of players.

I guess my point is that people are paying but that doesn''t mean it''s what they want for football in general. Many people on here this season have questioned the way football is going and don''t like it, yet i bet plenty of them are still paying their sky subs, because it''s the only option if they want to watch live games on tv.