Sign in to follow this  
Snoots

Wenger losing it with the ref last night

Had to laugh, he was so indignant that the ref allowed Porto to take a free kick and of course score when Arsenal players weren''t ready. Anyone else remember good old Thierry Henry doing the same to another club in the premiership a few years ago (can''t remember who the other team was). I don''t remember Whinger complaining then.

That incident against Villa was the first thing that sprung to my mind last night, and the second thought was, what a hypocrite Wenger is !!  [:@]

two different incidents imo. The ref run 20 yards to take the ball off the keeper, dropped it at porto player feet, got in the way of Campbell, then raised his arm after the ball was in the net, also missed a blatant penalty for Arsenal minutes earlier. Henry''s was outside the box if i recall right and players were behind the ball trying to get the wall ready.

[quote user="ricky knight"]two different incidents imo. The ref run 20 yards to take the ball off the keeper, dropped it at porto player feet, got in the way of Campbell, then raised his arm after the ball was in the net, also missed a blatant penalty for Arsenal minutes earlier. Henry''s was outside the box if i recall right and players were behind the ball trying to get the wall ready.[/quote]

Blimey, yeah I know there were differences, I wasn''t trying to say that both incidents were identical, but the point is the principle is the same and Whinger is IMO a hypocrite and got his just desserts last night........ and I thought it was hilarious.

sorry its not the same, The ref did not retrieve the ball for Arsenal and place it for them, Henry asked permission to take a quick kick, the villa players were behind the ball, Arsenals were not, he did not even let the keeper get back to his line, his signal for indirect free kick was given as ball went in net, this is the same buffoon who let Henry rob Ireland of a potential world cup place, Argue on the facts not because you dont like Wenger, if it happened to City you would see 20 pages of moaning and i think Lambert would have something to say.

The whole thing happened so fast it was difficult to know what really happened...

But Monsieur Wenger is a total whinge-bucket and simply can''t lose with diginity. It''s possible he may have been right to be upset on this occasion, but he used up the ''sympathy vote'' about ten years ago.

And any manager that has such a total disregard for developing football players from the country that has embraced and supported him should have little of anybody''s time in these fair isles

Wenger wasnt moaning about Henry doing it against Chelsea or Villa was he. In fact if you go on youtube you can see him interviewed DEFENDING Henrys quick freekicks.

Porto done nothing wrong.

On the freekick itself, Wenger claimed it wasd an accident, well sorry but a backpass is against the rules now, and Sol Campbell trying to defend himself saying the refereee blocked his effort to get in front of the ball......dont think so Sol, the replays clearly showed you standing there with your hands on your hips.

Wenger, Fergie, and benitez are the biggest wingers in that League, they seem to think they have the right to have the rules bent for them.

You see now we get 6, 7, even 8 minutes of added time. It used to be 1 or 2, 3 at the most and that would be it, not 6 minutes of injury time then another couple of extra minutes.

Wenger is a hypercrite.

ok Arther since when does a ref run to retrieve a ball, answre they dont, do you see a lino throwing a ball back. Secondly he did not raise his arm till after the ball was kicked, look again he did impede Campbell, nor did he let the keeper back to his line after demanding the ball off him, Maybe in the laws he might be right but his acts have to be questioned morally. I repeat again Henry''s was a completely different scenario, so imo Wenger is not being a hypercrite in this case.

Putting aside the question of whether or not Arsenal and Wenger got their just desserts and looking at it purely from an objective point of view, I thought it was very poor refereeing. In England it would not be allowed to happen - the referee always stands in front of the ball for indirect free kicks in the penalty area until everyone is ready. They do this not because the rules say so but because it is simple common sense, Technically Porto''s goal was legal but it was not in the spirit of the game.

As comical as it was, it was certainly strange behaviour from a ref who has proved himself in the past to be a bit rubbish.

However, I have little sympathy with any of the top clubs when the likes of Chester are going to the wall.

[quote user="Kevin Keelan"]

The whole thing happened so fast it was difficult to know what really happened...

But Monsieur Wenger is a total whinge-bucket and simply can''t lose with diginity. It''s possible he may have been right to be upset on this occasion, but he used up the ''sympathy vote'' about ten years ago.

And any manager that has such a total disregard for developing football players from the country that has embraced and supported him should have little of anybody''s time in these fair isles

[/quote]I''m sorry but i have to defend him here. Unfortunately, i disagree so much with your last sentence I need to highlight it. When Wenger came to England one of the first things he did was to restructure the whole youth system at Arsenal due to the FA deciding to close The England''s Centre of Excellence and not re-opening at the Burton. Due to this failure by the FA, not Wenger, there is a massive dearth of British talent. The majority of our English team came through this system but where are the english youngsters coming from now? I don''t know if you have realised but two of the biggest hyped youth players in English football are Keiran Gibbs and Wilshere with Craig Eastwood slowly gaining a reputation within the game. Where have they come from? They have come through the youth system Wenger set up when he first joined. When beginning the process it was stated it would take 10 years for the first batch of players to come through- that will be able to fit Arsenal''s technical style of play.People will be praising Wenger for a long time for what he has done for the future of the English national team once this process has seen a player carry out his career from the very beginning. Studies of youth training state that 70%of technical training happens before the age of 13 so how were they able to develop anyone any sooner?The FA have severely let this country down with youth development but somehow Wenger gets blamed for the lack of British youth development at Arsenal, the place that has spent multi-million pounds on their academy. Who have Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool brought through and who are they bringing through now? They have only bought their success in recent times, something Arsenal cannot do with their budget.Also, unless you are aware, Arsenal have also spent a lot of money on Walcott and Ramsey who are probably the two biggest U21 british players names in the premiership. There are many things to pick up Wenger on but youth development is not one.I have studied youth development intensively (that sound a bit wrong doesn''t it?) and I cannot begin to get over how much I disagree with your opinion, but as it''s a democracy you are allowed it (Even though you are wrong Stick out tongue [:P])

Sorry but thats rubbish, Wenger is a spoilt brat. Defends it when its his team that does, throws a tantrum when it works against him. If you want to blame anyone blame Fabianski and Campbell. neither made any effort to stop the goal, by delaying the ball, they just let porto get on with it and were rightly punished. Tough!!!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Sorry but thats rubbish, Wenger is a spoilt brat. Defends it when its his team that does, throws a tantrum when it works against him. If you want to blame anyone blame Fabianski and Campbell. neither made any effort to stop the goal, by delaying the ball, they just let porto get on with it and were rightly punished. Tough!!![/quote]

Calm down Arthur you will blow a gasket, we are talking about the spirit of the game not personalities, you would be gutted had it been City as would i.

Got nothing to do with Wenger has it really ?Think about it....Leeds 0 - Norwich 090th min , Doc hits one of his trademark elbow drop finishers in the box and gives them a peno, they score.HOWEVER given Docs vein of form it was obvious to all ( and even more on the replay ) that there are about 5 ft between the 2 and the Leeds player goes arse over his laces , clumsy goon.Game ends Leeds 1 Norwich 0Lots of furious Norwich fans Sad Panda :(

Now reverse the situation and tell me we wouldnt be dancing in the streets !I say again, nothing to do with Wenger

[quote user="Alf Tupper"]Had to laugh, he was so indignant that the ref allowed Porto to take a free kick and of course score when Arsenal players weren''t ready. Anyone else remember good old Thierry Henry doing the same to another club in the premiership a few years ago (can''t remember who the other team was). I don''t remember Whinger complaining then.[/quote]Well I''m sorry but i have read this post over and over and I cannot see how it relates to Norwich City at all.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Got nothing to do with Wenger has it really ?Think about it....Leeds 0 - Norwich 090th min , Doc hits one of his trademark elbow drop finishers in the box and gives them a peno, they score.HOWEVER given Docs vein of form it was obvious to all ( and even more on the replay ) that there are about 5 ft between the 2 and the Leeds player goes arse over his laces , clumsy goon.Game ends Leeds 1 Norwich 0Lots of furious Norwich fans Sad Panda :(

Now reverse the situation and tell me we wouldnt be dancing in the streets !I say again, nothing to do with Wenger[/quote]

But it was a backpass. No mistake about that. If, in your aforementioned situation, Doc had been penalised for a foul that he did not commit, of course we''d feel aggrieved. If he had pulled down his man and committed a foul, just like Campbell did by passing back, then why would we be angry at the ref (like Wenger)? We''d be furious at the Doc for committing the offence surely?

[quote user="ricky knight"]adding to the above how do you all think Fergie would have reacted.[/quote]He''d probably have said "Och, what a frightful lapse in attention by my lads, ho hum!"

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "][quote user="Alf Tupper"]Had to laugh, he was so indignant that the ref allowed Porto to take a free kick and of course score when Arsenal players weren''t ready. Anyone else remember good old Thierry Henry doing the same to another club in the premiership a few years ago (can''t remember who the other team was). I don''t remember Whinger complaining then.[/quote]

Well I''m sorry but i have read this post over and over and I cannot see how it relates to Norwich City at all.

[/quote]

You got me there, it doesn''t. Why did you have to read it more than once to realise ?

Ricky, thew same "spirit of the game" which has twice seen Arsenal score from opposition kicking the ball out due to player injury, only for Arsenal not to give the ball back and go on to score under Wenger? The same Wenger "who has on numerous occasions refused to shake the opposition managers hand after dropping points?

Yes, cant beat that good old Wenger "spirit of the game".

The problem is consistency from referees. How many players have you seen booked for taking a freekick quickly. I do agree with Wenger when he says that it was better than a penalty because at least you can defend a penalty. I disagree with Wenger and all managers who winge purely because they have lost the game.

I think the easiest way to see if he was right to winge this time is to imagine that Leeds had just done that to beat us 1 - 0. I for one would go mad and would expect Lambert to winge. Bet somebody will try the same thing at the weekend and be booked, someone else will do it and it will count. If all refs made the same decisions then we would all know where we stand.

You cant compare it to happenening to us as obviously you will be biase.

In last nights game, there was no biased opinion from me and many others.

Arsenal get away with it, its ok. Anyonelse heaven forbid.

Porto played to the rules. Wenger has never been one to accept defeat, he doesnt even shake mangers hands when he loses normally. Look at last year when Stoke beat them, he was moaning about Stoke playing long ball football in the premiership as if it should be outlawed.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Sorry but thats rubbish, Wenger is a spoilt brat. Defends it when its his team that does, throws a tantrum when it works against him. If you want to blame anyone blame Fabianski and Campbell. neither made any effort to stop the goal, by delaying the ball, they just let porto get on with it and were rightly punished. Tough!!![/quote]

If i remember rightly what happened with Henry vs Chelsea was entirely different to what I saw last night. Wenger has every right to moan about it imo.

Seeing how he has been labeled as "whinger" and what not by people on here, I wonder just how many people truley think what happened last night was acceptable refereeing, and not just letting their dislike of Wenger get in the way of the truth.

I can''t believe some people are saying it was ok! I think it''s fair to say if it had happened to us we would be fuming The fact that the ref blocked Campbell from the ball was laughable, How can it possibly be a fair goal?.

Can you honestly say Sol Campbell was blocked by the ref? The replays show him just standing there with his hands on his hips, making no effort to get past the referee.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Ok then lets take the pundits view.....out of 6 pundits on different channels last night only ONE agreed with Wenger......make of that what you will.[/quote]As per normal they are talking out of their arse! The ref basically gave Porto a goal. Quick free kicks outside the area while the wall is setting up is completely different than giving a player a free shot one on one and blocking any attempt to defend. I will be amazed if he refs a high profile game again.