Sign in to follow this  
batesout MOT

Obsession with Leeds

Please don''t allow this thread to turn into the tit-for-tat debates that all other threads seem to descend into. It''s very flattering with all attention we''ve been receiving on your site. No doubt the interest in our club has encouraged a few Leeds fans, like myself, to join.

Firstly, yes, Leeds have a very mixed fanbase. Most evident in our home attendances.  circa 20 000 fanatics, plus a further 40-50 000 who, for one reason or another, attend much fewer games each season. Sadly, some of these "fans" regard league one football as beneath them (and Leeds). And any contempt you may show towards them, is expressed much more vociferously by the 20k fanatics.

Secondly, yes, Leeds are going through a blip. However, as those of you who joined the footballing family before Sky TV will already know, it isn''t over until May (not Feb). Good luck with it, as even the most optimistic of Leeds fan is now accepting, 2nd place is our goal.

Somehow I expect this post will get half the attention of the other Leeds muppet''s earlier this evening. Why bother to challenge stereotypes and preconceptions? Perhaps that''s an indictment of the Internet in general, rather than your board. 

I think the main reason for your so called obsession is that some of your re tards appeared on this forum, after never having been here before, on the opening day of the season to gloat and mock, and there has been a steady stream of them here ever since.Now I don''t go to other teams message boards, so don''t know, but are your message boards awash with canaries fans taking the piss?I''m not sure whether you will agree, or disagree here, but your club has a lot of fans who really are complete tools.

[quote user="batesout MOT"]Fair point. We have had an influx over the last few weeks.[/quote]Without wanting to get all school playground, you started it to be honest.

First we heard ,

you`ll never catch us ,

Then we heard ,

We`ll pull away soon ,

Then ,

Just keep the top spot warm for us ,

Arrogance to the extreme --

Now we are enjoying the Top spot.....most of the Leeds fans expect us to be humble.....why shouldnt we enjoy it.....

I hope they loose in the play off final.....

I think Norwich fans are getting a little irritated by all the hype that surrounds Leeds. The media buzz off it when you get a big crowd and bash on about how you should be back in the Prem. I think people feel a bit overlooked and some reports still refer to your lot as the "league 1 leaders.." Leeds have c0cked it up the last 2 seasons and since the turn of the year haven''t looked like bucking that trend.

Oh, and further analysis.It seems like the Leeds fans have a complete inability to actually appreciate the position that the last few seasons have put them in, and beating Man Utd just seems to have boggled their brains further.Don''t get me wrong, if we did the same I would be soiling myself with glee, but its almost the attitude of "Yeah, we lost in the play offs, but at least we beat the scum!!"Living in the past does no team any favours, history counts for nothing and it just makes you look very desperate and thoroughly in denial.No one belongs in the top tier of football, no matter what their team tinted glasses may have them see.

Leeds get attention on these boards. However Colchester in particular get a lot of attention, as do Charlton and to a lesser extent Swindon. Why is this? Because we''re all battling to get promoted. So such attention is inevitable. You want you''re team to get promoted so obviously you want your rivals to do badly.

[quote user="boo"]First we heard ,

you`ll never catch us ,

Then we heard ,

We`ll pull away soon ,

Then ,

Just keep the top spot warm for us ,

Arrogance to the extreme --

Now we are enjoying the Top spot.....most of the Leeds fans expect us to be humble.....why shouldnt we enjoy it.....

I hope they loose in the play off final.....[/quote]So as a reaction to them being arrogant now you''re being arrogant, rubbing it in, and setting US up for a fall!! Can''t you see the irony??

Its Leeds and Col Who this season for us, it''ll be two/three other teams next season.Same for the Leeds fans. Leeds will be expecting, if they get promoted (and still think they will) to challenge for at least a play off spot, our realistic hopes (if promoted) will be keeping Lambo and Culverhouse, retaining the core of the current squad, adding to it, being in the top 10 all season & showing that we are going to be ready, in all aspects, to have a real push for promotion to the Prem come 2011/12.Will need that time, that season in all likelihood. The team that got to the play off final, bless them, if we had won and gone up as play off champs that season, unless Worthy could have added about ten new players in time, we would have been absolutely mullered in the Prem!Don''t have any problem with reasonable fans of any other teams coming on here for a chat and bit of sensible debate and banter. Would hope we can be the same on WACKY etc, though I know its hard to resist sometimes!

[quote user="batesout MOT"]

Please don''t allow this thread to turn into the tit-for-tat debates that all other threads seem to descend into. It''s very flattering with all attention we''ve been receiving on your site. No doubt the interest in our club has encouraged a few Leeds fans, like myself, to join.

Firstly, yes, Leeds have a very mixed fanbase. Most evident in our home attendances.  circa 20 000 fanatics, plus a further 40-50 000 who, for one reason or another, attend much fewer games each season. Sadly, some of these "fans" regard league one football as beneath them (and Leeds). And any contempt you may show towards them, is expressed much more vociferously by the 20k fanatics.

Secondly, yes, Leeds are going through a blip. However, as those of you who joined the footballing family before Sky TV will already know, it isn''t over until May (not Feb). Good luck with it, as even the most optimistic of Leeds fan is now accepting, 2nd place is our goal.

Somehow I expect this post will get half the attention of the other Leeds muppet''s earlier this evening. Why bother to challenge stereotypes and preconceptions? Perhaps that''s an indictment of the Internet in general, rather than your board. 

[/quote]

As this thread has proven (so far!), if someone comes on here to initiate sensible dialogue most of us are happy to oblige. Leeds suffer in other fans eyes from historical issues going back to the Revie era and exacerbated by the pronouncements of Risdale and Bates. It''s also annoying that the media still seem to put them on a pedestal, despite their lowly status in recent years.

Clearly things are not helped by the likes of spainboy (now whatever happened to him?) crawling all over this forum for months, telling us why we shouldn''t even dare dream of catching the mighty Leeds and letting us look at his messages on the Charlton forum telling them how much he hoped that they would go up in second place above us and behind Leeds.

We are all football fans and we''ve all had our share of ups and downs. I personally believe that Leeds and ourselves will go up automatically, and I really don''t care that much in which order. Like Mook I also find the asssumption that the job is done rather annoying as much can change before now and May. Yes, I''m enjoying where we are, but I can also sympathise with genuine Leeds fans, because we''ve seen out team build us up only to let us down enough times over the years. I do not, however, have any sympathy for mouthy little dicks like the aforemetioned spainby.

For me the frustration is not so much Leeds as the media response and yes, I do feel that Norwich is not getting the appreciation we deserve because of the media obsession with Leeds.

From the Sky interviewer discussing Richard Naylor''s badge of honour in his bloodied head bandage after our game there despite the fact he got his injury trying to maim Hoolahan through to your win against Colchester when all the Sky and BBC coverage was "Leeds back to winning ways - yippee" notwithstanding that we had also won and were still top, the media pro Leeds bias is infuriating.

But we don''t get Sky journalists posting on here saying provactive things; we do get Leeds fans.  So they and (unfortunately in you case) you get the backlash.

We have performed a miracle this season turning a shambles into a good team playing attractive football and we are proud of that.  That pride slips into arrogance and aggression on occasions but especially when Leeds muppets come on here.

Does that help answer your question Batesy?

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Its Leeds and Col Who this season for us, it''ll be two/three other teams next season.

Same for the Leeds fans. Leeds will be expecting, if they get promoted (and still think they will) to challenge for at least a play off spot, our realistic hopes (if promoted) will be keeping Lambo and Culverhouse, retaining the core of the current squad, adding to it, being in the top 10 all season & showing that we are going to be ready, in all aspects, to have a real push for promotion to the Prem come 2011/12.

Will need that time, that season in all likelihood. The team that got to the play off final, bless them, if we had won and gone up as play off champs that season, unless Worthy could have added about ten new players in time, we would have been absolutely mullered in the Prem!

Don''t have any problem with reasonable fans of any other teams coming on here for a chat and bit of sensible debate and banter. Would hope we can be the same on WACKY etc, though I know its hard to resist sometimes!
[/quote]

Careful Shuck.  You will have Smudger and his possee jumping on you for suggesting that we might benefit from not getting promoted to the Prem next season.

Got your tin hat ready?

I blame spainboy for it,he was the one who came here bleating about Leeds being 11 points clear,followed by we have x amount of games in hand and you''ll never catch us,followed by you can gloat when you are outright leaders but it wont happen. Where is he now?

Personally i didnt really have a problem with Leeds until they came on here giving it large......i dont do arrogance......just enjoying thier so called blip......?????

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]I think Norwich fans are getting a little irritated by all the hype that surrounds Leeds. The media buzz off it when you get a big crowd and bash on about how you should be back in the Prem. I think people feel a bit overlooked and some reports still refer to your lot as the "league 1 leaders.." Leeds have c0cked it up the last 2 seasons and since the turn of the year haven''t looked like bucking that trend.[/quote]

that is a fair point, and i agree, its not us fans that do that though, it is the media, they see us a big club. it happens across the board

[quote user="IncH_HigH"]I blame spainboy for it,he was the one who came here bleating about Leeds being 11 points clear,followed by we have x amount of games in hand and you''ll never catch us,followed by you can gloat when you are outright leaders but it wont happen. Where is he now?
[/quote]

I think all the leeds fans on here will agree spainboy is a tit

Until recently there has been an assumption that Leeds would go up as champions, which is why in my view there has been very little interest in them. People I know are much more aware of Col u (recent events, and ''boot'' it Boothroyd), and Charlton (seen as on a par and serious rivals). Our super run has changed this, so now Leeds are just another team in the frame (and hence getting a little more attention from me at least). I suspect their ''blip'' may continue.

Leeds get what? 23-25,000 a home game? Yet Elland Road hold just under 40,000. Where have all the Leeds fans gone who filled Elland Road on those europeon nights? yet the play off final v Watford and doncaster saw over 40,000 Leeds fans attend. No offence mate, but you have to admit there is a lot of glory hunting going on in Leeds.

It is good to get some sensible debate with opposition fans on here.You ( BatesMOT ) and Essex White are a pleasant change from the stereotyped Leeds supporter who turns up on message boards. The likes of Spainboy has lost any credibility he may have had by giving it large when Leeds were in the driving seat but hasn''t had the guts to come back and face the flak now. No doubt should we lose on Saturday and Leeds win he''ll be back on here like a shot. What a waste of space he is.....The main problem with peoples perception of Leeds, apart from a supposed higher proportion of '' lively '' fans, is, I think, that there''ll be forever '' tainted '' by the Don Revie era by us older fans. I don''t mean this disrespectfully for no doubt he is regarded as a saint in West Yorkshire for the success he brought to the club, and, as a result of that success he went on to manage England. I don''t doubt that many other clubs fans were more than a little envious. But it was at a price both on and off the field..... I used to regularly watch Norwich play Leeds back in the 1970''s when you had people like Reaney, Hunter, Bremner, Lorimer and Clarke and they were, on the whole, very skillful players. The problem seemed to be that the manager was desperate to win at all costs and seemed to insist his players pushed the rulebook to the limit, and beyond, to do so. They had more than enough skill not to have to resort to such tactics but because of it they became '' Dirty Leeds ''.There were also plenty of rumours that '' insurance '' was taken out by the manager - or was at least attempted -  by the way of alleged bribes to opponents to ensure the right result. How true this was is anyone''s guess. It may have been a witch-hunt by an anti-Revie press but these stories appeared with depressing regularity, which, coupled with the antics on the pitch, left a big cloud hanging over the club and attitudes elsewhere hardened further.....Perhaps Don Revie''s defining moment was in 1977 when he suddenly left the England job for a fat pay cheque in the United Arab Emirates. So suddenly did he leave that his resignation letter arrived at FA headquarters on the very morning that the news broke as an exclusive in the press. This was a huge error of judgement, and, although he had left Elland Road three years before, his previous association with Leeds wasn''t helpful to the club during the resulting assassination in the media.On the plus side Don Revie had a major impact on the game not only with Leeds United in particular, but also England. His Leeds teams were always there or thereabouts when the honours were handed out. He was a very good manager and he knew how to get the best out of his players. There were less appealing aspects to his personality but it is a tribute to him that for those of us of a certain age will always associate his name with Leeds, one of the most successful sides of that era.