Sign in to follow this  
Carra_Rud

Views on Paul Lambert from a new member

A very good Friday morning everyone,I have almost had enough of the 606 boards, so I have joined the pink''un boards, hoping for less Wum''s[<:o)]I think its fair to say that Paul Lambert didn''t set the football management world alight, before he joined us, apart from his League Cup run with Wycombe that is.He certainly didn''t have a great record at Colchester, so how come since he has been at Norwich, he is quickly becoming a Norwich City legend?, whilst also being linked with other jobs.Has he finally found a place he feels he can settle down in(although I have heard he still spends quite a bit of time in Scotland), or is Norwich the perfect club for him.Personally speaking, he seems the perfect manager for some of the old guard at our club i.e Drury, Russell, Doherty, Lappin, Hoolahan and C Martin, who have been lead by some shocking managers in recent years, and must surely be revelling in his management style, whilst he has also given the younger players at the club confidence. How much of our performance under Lambert has to go down to Culverhouse, Crook and Karsa? They certainly seem to have gone  largely un-noticed so far.Sorry for the amount of questions in amongst this post, but I am interested in your thoughts on Mr Lambert.

[quote user="Carra_Rud"]A very good Friday morning everyone,

I have almost had enough of the 606 boards, so I have joined the pink''un boards, hoping for less Wum''s
[<:o)]

I think its fair to say that Paul Lambert didn''t set the football management world alight, before he joined us, apart from his League Cup run with Wycombe that is.

He certainly didn''t have a great record at Colchester, so how come since he has been at Norwich, he is quickly becoming a Norwich City legend?, whilst also being linked with other jobs.

Has he finally found a place he feels he can settle down in(although I have heard he still spends quite a bit of time in Scotland), or is Norwich the perfect club for him.

Personally speaking, he seems the perfect manager for some of the old guard at our club i.e Drury, Russell, Doherty, Lappin, Hoolahan and C Martin, who have been lead by some shocking managers in recent years, and must surely be revelling in his management style, whilst he has also given the younger players at the club confidence. How much of our performance under Lambert has to go down to Culverhouse, Crook and Karsa? They certainly seem to have gone  largely un-noticed so far.

Sorry for the amount of questions in amongst this post, but I am interested in your thoughts on Mr Lambert.

[/quote]

Morning Carra, and welcome to the Pinkun, much better than 606 you won''t regret it (don''t tell Col U Mike or Paolo we''re here though please!).

Why Lambert has been so succesful here is a good question. I guess my first response would be to say that we''re better than the previous clubs he managed, I think it''s fair to say they both overperformed during his tenure. Secondly, you could argue that his previous experience prepared him for this job so it''s just him continuing to develop.

Let''s hope he keeps it up through to the end of this season at the very least!

I wouldn''t say Lambert is a ''legend'' quite yet although he is certainly on the way. The reason for this is because since he has taken over he has restored some pride back to the club and in some respects the City in general. We have been a joke of a club for a long time but under Lambert (and the new board) there is a real sense of control and direction.

Personally I like the bloke as he knows how to win football games. Simple things like bringing on an extra striker when we are chasing a goal (i.e. Brighton) and throwing caution to the wind have been a real breath of fresh air from the stale, risk averse maangers of the past few years. Tactically he is spot on, and the players enjoy playing for him.

I hope he stays long term as I genuinely think we could be premiership bound, particularly with new investment, but somehow I think he will be long gone before this ever happens.

Morning and welcome to the Pinkun board.

The reason why Lambert is having such an impact is because

(1) unlike the recent string of managers his team plays with strategy, purpose and confidence

(2) this squad is very strong for League One.

If we get promotion then next season will be fascinating. Lets just hope we can hold on to him for as long as possible and when he goes the Board learns from the appointments of recent times.

[quote user="Broadstairs Canary"]If we get promotion then next season will be fascinating.[/quote]Absolutely, the question is whether or not Lambert can maintain his performance with a League 1 side in the CCC, especially when finances will be limited to make serious improvements. We have the skeleton of a good CCC side but Fraser has been a major contributor to our results this season and I doubt we''ll be seeing him back again unless we can cut a major deal with Newcastle, which means if not, then the signing of a GK will be another drain on the aforementioned finances.Again - fascinating to see how it will play out.

Just how strong is our squad in terms of CCC level.

If we get promoted and Newcastle get promoted, I can easily see Lambert being able to get Fraser on another season long loan, as I think Fraser would love to stay here. Newcastle won''t want to risk having a GK that is not even proven at CCC level in their PL matchday squad.

Back to Lambert, do we honestly believe that he will still be here if we make it to the PL? I for one believe that it will take us 2 season''s in the CCC before we can start to challenge for promotion, unless there is major investment or our players over perform week in week out. As much as it pains me to say it, IMO Lambert will have moved on inside 3 years.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Broadstairs Canary"]If we get promotion then next season will be fascinating.[/quote]Absolutely, the question is whether or not Lambert can maintain his performance with a League 1 side in the CCC, especially when finances will be limited to make serious improvements. We have the skeleton of a good CCC side but Fraser has been a major contributor to our results this season and I doubt we''ll be seeing him back again unless we can cut a major deal with Newcastle, which means if not, then the signing of a GK will be another drain on the aforementioned finances.Again - fascinating to see how it will play out.[/quote]It''s more of a CCC side in League 1 though but will need 3/4 important additions in the summer if we''re to challenge at the right end next season.

I think within the knowledgeable footballing world, Lambert has been well respected for a long time.

A good man manager, highly intelligent, did his coaching the more demanding route and had a marvellous playing career.

Like many things in life, to land someone of Lambert''s pedigree was a combination of good contacts (McNally, Martin O''Neill etc), hard work and a bit of luck.

The alternative is to have an owner who knows nothing about football but was attracted to a celebrity big mouthed name. Result Keano!!!

Interesting thread. I think the biggest question mark that hangs over Lambert at the moment is his ability in the transfer market. All of the key performers this season have been signed by previous bosses (with the exception of loan-signing Forster). So, he''s certainly proven that he can make the most of what''s put in front of him, but can he build on that to mount a decent challenge in the Championship? (IF he achieves promotion!)Personally, I really hope that he takes a long-term view to building the squad rather than relying on the loan market to make a quick impact on the league table. I think Glenn Roeder proved that relying on loan signings to make up the backbone of your team is unliklely to turn you into real contenders... and will be a case of burning money rather than investing it in new talent.

[quote user="NCFC_Thain"]He didn''t exactly do badly at Wycombe or Colchester though. Win percentage of 41% at Wycombe and 44% at Colchester.[/quote]

I reckon he did as much has he could at his previous clubs. Without getting involved in another pointless big club / little club argument he transformed Wycombe to Lge 2 promotion candidates and Col U to Lge One promotion candidates. In both cases it could be argued he took the clubs to the top of their potential. We have the potential to do much more. He would have to take us at least to Championship promotion contenders before he achieves the same thing here and there is potential to go further than that. I would suggest that he won''t be wanted for a bigger club than us until he has achieved that.

[quote user="Ark"]Interesting thread. I think the biggest question mark that hangs over Lambert at the moment is his ability in the transfer market. All of the key performers this season have been signed by previous bosses (with the exception of loan-signing Forster). So, he''s certainly proven that he can make the most of what''s put in front of him, but can he build on that to mount a decent challenge in the Championship? (IF he achieves promotion!)Personally, I really hope that he takes a long-term view to building the squad rather than relying on the loan market to make a quick impact on the league table. I think Glenn Roeder proved that relying on loan signings to make up the backbone of your team is unliklely to turn you into real contenders... and will be a case of burning money rather than investing it in new talent.[/quote]

True, but he has improved the right back slot and has not been afraid to use the youngsters that we didn''t use last season.

If we get promoted, he will certainly need to be shrewd in the transfer market, as I can''t see us spending more than 500k on new players, unless one of our top players leave.