Sign in to follow this  
N.Ireland Canary

OT - Pompeys request to sell players

Correct me if I am wrong, but even it Pompey get permission to have the transfer window opened for them, It won''t help them at all.

Becuase it will remain closed for all other clubs, therefore although Pompey would be able to sell, no other club would be able to buy.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]back of todays daily mirror says that they can sell players but must take a 9 point deduction! [:S][/quote]

I read that too, but in another paper it says the request has been refused.

A good example of journos clutching at straws !

[quote user="yorkcanary"]

Although I don''t want to see any club go bust,

The transfer window rules are there, and shound''nt be changed mid-season.

[/quote]Agreed. I think the transfer window is a stupid idea, but those are the rules. Allow Portsmouth to bend the rules and you set a dangerous precedent.

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]The breaking news ticker on the BBC sport website says FIFA are looking favourably on Portsmouth''s request.[/quote]

WTF has it got to do with FIFA? Is there nothing that Blatter doesn''t want to stick his corrupt Swiss snout into?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]The breaking news ticker on the BBC sport website says FIFA are looking favourably on Portsmouth''s request.[/quote]

WTF has it got to do with FIFA? Is there nothing that Blatter doesn''t want to stick his corrupt Swiss snout into?

[/quote]

I think the transfer window is a FIFA rule that applies world wide, rather than UEFA or FA for just europe or england - my understandins is that all three authorities would have to approve any exceptions - which the ongoing survival of one of the worlds top clubs is likely to be such an exception. 

What will it do though ?Transfer tie the player ???ie:   A player cant represent the new club until the start of the next Transfer Window... BUT Pompey get the cash ??Id be mighty pissed off if we were in this same position in the championship and a promotion rival managed to land say David James or something and he was instrumental in pushing them forwards !This could really effect some teams in a negative way.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

"M''lud, I would just like to make it clear that the phrase "corrupt Swiss snout" used by my client is a common term of endearment in Norfolk, emanating I''m told from the much-loved pastime of dwile flonking, although the precise derivation seems losts in the mists of time and over-consumption of alcohol.

"There is of course not the slightest suggestion that Herr Blatter is anything other than a man of the highest moral and financial probity. My client would happily make that clear to Herr Blatter while explaining the intricacies of dwile flonking, should the gentleman ever visit East Anglia."

If Portsmouth wanted to sell players they had all of January to do so.

They should have settled for lower prices then rather than try brinksmanship (again) and now go crying to mummy for special permission to get themselves out of their own mess.

I hope they cease to exist, I really do.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote] "M''lud, I would just like to make it clear that the phrase "corrupt Swiss snout" used by my client is a common term of endearment in Norfolk, emanating I''m told from the much-loved pastime of dwile flonking, although the precise derivation seems losts in the mists of time and over-consumption of alcohol. "There is of course not the slightest suggestion that Herr Blatter is anything other than a man of the highest moral and financial probity. My client would happily make that clear to Herr Blatter while explaining the intricacies of dwile flonking, should the gentleman ever visit East Anglia."[/quote]

Lol! I''ll be straight on the PM should I need legal representation PC! And yes, I love the man dearly for all his positive and selfless contributions to the game of football.[H]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

I think the transfer window is a FIFA rule that applies world wide, rather than UEFA or FA for just europe or england - my understandins is that all three authorities would have to approve any exceptions - which the ongoing survival of one of the worlds top clubs is likely to be such an exception. 

[/quote]Where do you draw the line though? If Cardiff or Southend made the same request should they be rejected as they arent a big enough club?And as someone said earlier, the transfer windows only just shut, they knew they were in trouble so why didnt they get rid of the likes of Utaka with his (Alleged) 80''000 a week contract? Although in that case im guessing no one else is stupid enough to pay him that much!I dont want to see any club go under, but administration and certain relegation has to be the only option from here surely?

Theres a nice article about this from the point of view of Hulls phil Brown. Apparently both teams were after some of the same players:

"Hull were interested in signing the same players as Portsmouth last summer - the likes of Frederic Piquionne and Aruna Dindane - but couldn''t compete financially with Pompey when it came to both fees and wages.

If Portsmouth were then kept afloat with Premier League money - after spending beyond their means - how could that be fair on teams like Hull who might go down because they missed out on those players that went to Portsmouth even though they couldn''t afford them?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/danwalker/2010/02/darth_vader_jordan_and_my_most.html

They cant let them sell there players now. I dont care how bad there situation is rules are rules. It may also give a few teams an unfair advantage. Too be honest there not going to get much for their players as everyone knows their desperate and will probably offer them very little. Also did anyone else see David Gold may lend them £10M. Im sorry but I thought West Ham were in shit loades of debt yet he is lending loades of money to other clubs!