Sign in to follow this  
aka_riise

Investment from America?

Just walked past a news kiosk in town with a front news headline of ''Investment for NCFC from America emerges'' from the EEN, but nothing on any internet sites, forums or anywhere!

Has anyone bought, and read the story?

Response from Stephan Phillips on the live web chat regarding ''Investment from America'':

''The club were approached by an agent and we have refered them to deloittes (in charge of finding investment)''

What''s interesting is that today of all days, the owner of archant and host for the web chat, this story is published.

Could a potential investment rumour actually be true???

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]If its anything like the Glaziers then they can stuff it![/quote]

the same glaziers who have taken untied to a league title and a champions league win is that?????

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]If its anything like the Glaziers then they can stuff it![/quote]

the same glaziers who have taken untied to a league title and a champions league win is that?????

[/quote]That could have been achieved without dumping 300m of debt on them though. [;)]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]hopefully we get a Randy Learner and not a Gillette and Hicks![/quote]Learner is the perfect investor, lets the manager get on with his business and stay out of that side [Y]

[quote user="aka_riise"]

+1, still nothing online for me.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Anyone got a link? I cant see owt online![/quote]

[/quote]

+2 Cant see owt :(

If you go to the EEN website and click on "E-Edition" it brings up an animated graphic of the paper scrolling through the pages - the front page has a headline at the top of "American Dream for Canaries?" You have to pay for the online edition, there doesnt appear to be any report of it on the website at present.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]Oh the same Glaziers who have placed hundreds of millions of pounds worth of debt against the club? The Glaziers are picking up the profits whilst the club has to pay the debt, i think i read somewhere Man Utd despite their big profits are actually making a net income from player sales/purchases each year since the Glaziers have come in.I''m sure they wouldn''t be anywhere near challenging for major honours without them though [:|]

I''m a Yank and I don''t like it. Seems a bit slick to me, and I wonder if minority ownership is even an option for this guy.  I wouldn''t want someone buying Norwich City only because it is a better business opportunity than an MLS team.

I really really dont know what to make of this. Firstly we dont have any concrete evidence that there are any interested parties or consortiums. We just have a piece in the local rag from a U.S deal maker and an interview from Phillips that isnt denying any of what Joe Kosich is saying. Whilst Phillips is relatively well known to us fans we dont know what Kosichs intentions are. He could be in it to make a quick buck from any potential deal and he could be acting on behalf of potential investors with bad intentions- i.e. to take over a football club, load it with debt and sell said club for lots of money (money that would benefit him as the owner and not the club).I think now is the time when Super Dave and the rest of the City board really earn their money. Clearly the interest is building - first Big Tony and now this American investment story. I also think that we should be grateful that Delia is still on the Norwich City board in this situation. Her fears about investment from abroad are ones that we should all hold- and investment from this green and pleasant land of ours. You only have to look at our ''friends'' up the road to realise that investment isnt always the fairy tale end that the fans hope to be.  I just hope that the board dont choose the wrong deal out of desperation for money and investment. On the other hand though, there are a good number of deals that have greatly benefited the club involved - Chelski, Villa and Southampton to name but 3. Of course we all hope that the investment being ''touted'' turns out to be the golden ticket for our club but let us not forget that nothing has actually happened yet - in the public domain- so until it does I suggest we sit back and enjoy the remaining games this season [Y]

I have not read the story, but am in full agreement with NYC. I''d much rather have an owner from the Norwich area with real interest in and ties to the team, not someone solely looking for a source or revenue or advertising because that usually doesn''t work out. It''s gotta be something they don''t care to get rich from for the best chance of sustained success.

At least it disproves the theory that nobody would be interested in investing in us, gives me hope that by the summer we will have new owners and the club can once again begin to challenge at the top of the championship. Let''s just hope the board choose the right people.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]I have not read the story, but am in full agreement with NYC. I''d much rather have an owner from the Norwich area with real interest in and ties to the team, not someone solely looking for a source or revenue or advertising because that usually doesn''t work out. It''s gotta be something they don''t care to get rich from for the best chance of sustained success.[/quote]

I think you''d be waiting a long time for someone from the Norwich area to come in, there isn''t many people wealthy enough around here to afford to buy the club. We can''t go on as we are and if it''s a choice of a yank coming in or the club risking administration I say bring on the yanks. As long as the board do their homework and are happy that the new owners have the best intentions I don''t see we have much choice. At least there is interest in us which is a good sign.

[quote user="kdncfc"]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]I have not read the story, but am in full agreement with NYC. I''d much rather have an owner from the Norwich area with real interest in and ties to the team, not someone solely looking for a source or revenue or advertising because that usually doesn''t work out. It''s gotta be something they don''t care to get rich from for the best chance of sustained success.[/quote]

I think you''d be waiting a long time for someone from the Norwich area to come in, there isn''t many people wealthy enough around here to afford to buy the club. We can''t go on as we are and if it''s a choice of a yank coming in or the club risking administration I say bring on the yanks. As long as the board do their homework and are happy that the new owners have the best intentions I don''t see we have much choice. At least there is interest in us which is a good sign.

[/quote]The fact that Phillips said in describing the board''s "seven year plan" that we were aiming to get out of  League 1 in two years or less suggests that administration is unlikely, even if we don''t go up this year.For those that haven''t read what he said:
Our long-term aim is to be a team which plays

continually in the Premiership and we are giving ourselves seven years

to achieve this. The seven years breaks down into two years to get out

of our current league (maximum, although we might not need it all!),

three years to get out of the Championship, a year to perhaps bounce in

and out of the Premiership, before being a stable team consistently

playing in what we consider to be our rightful league.

OK, our debt is larger than our turnover for the first time ever.  That is true. But under solid management that would not waste money like Roeder did, don''t we have in place a board and front office that can get us to the lower half of the Prem as is?  Sure Delia could never compete with the Prem big boys, but looking at the state of football finances, from Liverpool to Portsmouth down to the Championship, wages will be dropping across the board.  A couple million here or there to help buy that 1 or 2 players to get us over the hump notwithstanding, this call for investment right on the heels of releasing our worst fiscal report to date reeks of desperation.  We are not going into Administration.  Lets see where McNally and Lambert can lead us.  When they say we can go no further without more money, then we can start thinking about lowering our standards over who should buy our club.  Until then, shady American facilitators with no connection or love for the team should be our last resort.   Kudos to McNally for sending him to Deloitte so that proper due diligence can occur and weed out the riff-raff.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]but investors must have the best interests of the club at heart and not come from further away than Hellesdon![/quote]This is a Local club, for Local People, there''s nothing for you here!

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

That could have been achieved without dumping 300m of debt on them though. [;)]
[/quote]

The buyout was something like £790m ish and they have recently tried to get a £500m bond issue away.....don''t know how they have got on with that.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]hopefully we get a Randy Learner and not a Gillette and Hicks![/quote]Learner is the perfect investor, lets the manager get on with his business and stay out of that side [Y][/quote]

From what I have heard Learner is really into being a Villa fan.

Deadly Doug was really careful about who he passed the baton to.

I don''t understand the binners being made as a poor example of investment.

The one and only thing that Evans has done wrong is appoint the wrong Manager.

Just imagine if they had a certain Mr Lambert!!! Then you would see a bit of cashed splash I can assure you.

I also do not understand this almost permanent parochial stance we seem to take whenever there is a chance of possible investment.

Of course we have to be careful and that is what Bowkett and McNasty are doing but please please cut some slack here folks!!