Sign in to follow this  
batesout MOT

Away days in League 1

So far this year I''ve been to Brentford, Gillingham, Leeds, Southend, Wycombe, Colchester, Walsall and Brighton.As others have touched upon, the atmosphere, weather and pubs at Brentford were all great - and then the game started...Purely in terms of football Colchester can''t be topped obviously. But I''d probably say Wycombe has been my favourite so far - not in a great area but a nice ground, very friendly club and good banter too.Brighton was the worst, by (literally) a distance - though I liked the yellow and green balloons at the back of the ''stand''.

Due to work and money only been to MK Dons, Whycombe and Col U this season. Best has to be Whycombe great little ground nice fans very warm friendly atmopshere had a scores where we were welcome for a pint before the game and a great tight game with a massive sence of relife when we scored. Worst MK Dons plastic team, plastic fans, stadium that isnt even finished and to many bloody roundabouts. lol

"Tangible Fixed Assets anyone? -

Carlisle, Hartlepool and Stockport......places of character."

Spooky, that''s all the away games I''ve managed this season! Probably liked Hartlepool the most as it was the closest.

Off to Oldham next week. :P

Yeh, it wasnt obvious how to walk from the middle of carlisle to the ground at all. I suppose its not much different in Norwich though - the ground isnt signposted from the city centre either.

I''m actually going to miss League One if we get promoted. Had a cracking daw every away day, terracing MUST be bought back. Yeovil was a brilliant day, tbh don''t think there has been a worst being at some of these places is what Football is alla bout rather than being in some big souless bowl.

[quote user="Willmeister"]I''m actually going to miss League One if we get promoted. Had a cracking daw every away day, terracing MUST be bought back. Yeovil was a brilliant day, tbh don''t think there has been a worst being at some of these places is what Football is alla bout rather than being in some big souless bowl.[/quote]Cracking post. [Y]

For some bizarre reason Gillingham is an old favourite; an easy train ride from London, a five minute walk from the station to the ground. In between the station and the ground is a good away pub and a great chippy. You could say this preference is probably more to do with my away day priorities than the football. We’ve had some good results and games there over the years which does sway my vote. In the JPT game we were allowed to sit down the side to the right of the away stand, we had a roof which was a real treat!

And my least favourite? The MadJad at Reading. A soulless plastic bowl, miles away from civilisation built on a rubbish dump. A truly dreadful place, and the worst of a number of awful “new grounds”. The Ricoh runs the MadJad as close second, a choice influenced by my daughter Gemma, who hates the place.

[quote user="batesout MOT"][quote user="Barclay hero"]

[quote user="marvin the martian"]Elland road is a right dump ![/quote]

FFS cant you be serious for once - the man was asking a decent question

[/quote] I take that comment as positive. There''s nothing worse than these soulless ikea stadia, planted in the middle of an industrial estate, eg Colchester. Oldham will be ok when they build the 4th stand.[/quote]

Have to agree with you regards to our ground. For years we were trying to get away from Layer road but now we have most would prefer to go back. Like you say they build these grounds on the outskirts of town,they have no atmosphere at all and all look the same..They just find a bit of ground,stick four stands up and thats it,they can''t even be bothered to sort the car park out. People have been pushing for making the concourses under the stands better but apparantly because its a community stadium we can''t do it so it will have to stay as breeze blocks and wires on show. Gone are the days of standing on a freezing terrace and actually being able to sing and enjoy the game,we just have to sit there and if we stand up we get kicked out.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="promotion chasing CT "]Gillingham was very... erm... eventful. Enjoyed giving the little t**t Jackson a barrage of abuse and the late equaliser.To date its the only away game I''ve been to this year but I''ve got more coming up so hopefully they are as good as Gills away [Y][/quote]Oh you were one of the majority who seemed to think it was Jackson, not Weston, who got the pen.  That annoyed me all game.  Gillingham was fun though, great weather, and Russell scoring at the end made it all worthwhile.  That and the Charlton game the week before are clearly the turning point in our season.Southampton was a good game as well, the stadium is soulless though.  Exactly the same as the Walkers, Stadium of Light etc etc etc.[/quote]Weston dived but it was S.J who had the audacity to celebrate in front of the City fans and with a finger up to his lips. I cant decide who annoyed me more [H]

Most have been good, only seen 2 defeats out of 12. Maddest has to be Gillingham for Russell''s 97th minute goal. Best overall experience was Exeter, not for football reasons though, worst has to be Mk Dons, unlucky performance, shit home fans, poor atmosphere in Norwich crowd. Worst stewards at Stockport and Brighton, trying to make fans sit down, really pisses me off.

This season has reminded me so much of the 71/72 season.

Not only in the sense of every game being a cup final, with all the great build up and anticipation during the week but for it''s ''unexpectedness''. I doubt anybody would have predicted that we would be where we are now, last May.

It''s been refreshing, humbling and bloody enjoyable to travel away and meet ''real'' fans again. To go to an away game and be reminded of Watford away at the end of that season.

Terracing, tea/food ''huts'' and outdoor toilets.......... reason''s to be cheerful.

I''ll miss ''em.

Right well the away games ive been to this season: Brentford, Gillingham, Leeds, Southend, Yeovil and Walsall

Pro''s at Brentford:

4 pubs as mentioned several times only managed to make my way to 3 of the 4 before actually going in.

The fact we get two tiers and the home fans only get one and you get a choice of seats or terracing i always like terracing with a roof which is very good in my opinion and you can get a good asmotsphere from the stand

Negative''s: The game itself Gill and Tudur Jones were shocking.

Pro''s at Gillingham: Atmosphere was great partly due to penalty decision, sending off and weston and jackson cockiness yes jackson well done you scored from 12 yards my grandad could do that and he cant even walk that far without having to seat down for a kip and you havent done much since have ya sorry it really annoyed me though.

The service also was quite quick as well

It didn''t rain.

Their fans were nice I managed to speak to a few before and after the game and whilst their was banter it was all in good fun which is a far cry from what you get from a Premiership supporter or Nottingham Forest or Leeds fan.

Negative''s: Gillingham is surrounded by a dump known to some people as houses which were in appalling condition there was sofa''s bin bags broken windows all over the place im glad I live in Norwich.

Service whilst quick served alcohol that wasn''t chilled i think except fosters but i was in a Carling sort of mood at the time

No roof  i don''t like it cause you cant genorate as much atmotsphere as you want to plus if it rains your programme get wet, you get wet, your glasses get wet and you cant see the game so you have to keep wiping them every 5 seconds really i shouldnt go to away games without a roof but i still go anyway.

Pro''s at Leeds:

Nice big stadium which meant we could a huge number of fans it has excellent facilities + service as well that east stand is rather daunting when you look at it.

Atmotsphere was great as both set of fans knew it was an important game.

Our performance was superb it was one of the best ive seen away.  

Negative''s:

The result.

Their fans i can''t stick them.

I searched for 30 minutes trying to find a cash point stewards or Leeds fans (surprisingly helped me) instead they ignored me.

Pro''s at Southend:

The fact i saw us WIN away for the first time in what I found was a year and nearly a month that away game if you are interested was Nottingham Forest away although to be honest we only won three times away last season so it should be easy to guess.

Being able to see Paul Lambert from the touchline really motivating the players, i couldn''t see this at Leeds very well because he was on the other side of the pitch and you could see he had the got players starting t believe they can win away as well as at home which has been the problem in recent seasons.

Could generate a lot of noise from the stand we were in we definately made our presence known.

The mascots i believe it was a shrimp and an eel they were hilarious and the chant ''what the hell is that'' made my night.

Negative''s:

The Southend fans made no noise at all and the attendence was pittiful i no it was a tuesday night game but it was truly shocking.

The coach took 20 minutes to go away from the stadium, u-turn back from where we had just come from get into the stadium and finally park it took far longer that it should have like when the coach to Barnsley took a wrong turn as it just went past the junction with a sign saying Barnsley Football club this way. *sigh*

My mate went to the game and i found thereand then he had been in car crash flipped and really should have died this was after i had made a joke saying had he fallen over a bladeof grass because he was in cructhes and is injury prone man i felt guility after that.

Pro''s at Yeovil:

Their fans were nice and welcoming and the banter between some in the marquee was good.

The marquee amazing service they were incredibly quick it welcomed both fans and you could also get a seat as well I reallly did enjoy that.

Getting to get autographs of Forster,Holt and Hoolahan in one swoop and also get a video of Holt with my mate Holt was amused with my friends jester hat. :)

Stewards in front of us were a great laugh i think the best stewards I''ve encounted at any game. Even when i left my bag in the stadium just as I left I told them and they rushed back and got it unlike some who would have glanced round for a split second and said ''can''t see it sorry''

Atmosphere was great with another great following as expected.

They had a scoreboard I could see albeit behind, either have a scoreboard that everyone can see or have two so everyone can see or not have one at all nothing annoys me more when Southend fans can look at the scoreboard to see how long left and i have to check my phone constantly.

I generally like the stadium it has a nice feel to it with the mixture of terracing and seating again us fanshad a choice of either I actually chose theterracing with no roof because it looks better than some terracing at ither football stadiums (Exeter,Brighton)

Everytime we scored the celebrations were fantastic Doherty''s leveller was truly brilliant.

Negative''s

Nearly Losing the programme.

Definately the best I''ve gone to this season. I''d recommend it. (Y)

Pro''s at Walsall:

I could use my new i-pod nano''s video camera and making several videos before the game in normal,sepia and thermal settings. :D haha

Good atmosphere thanks largely to the following rather than the stadium.

Getting one over on on Troy Deeney stupid arrogant nobody he also got sent off in the next game which I also found highly amusing.

I saw us win away again and Cody Mcdonald was given a chance and he truly delievered.

Negative''s

Ten minutes into getting on the coach i managed to spill my coke.

Service was awfully slow.

Poor support from the home side again on a tuesday night but still poor.

The fact that after nearly a month of no snow in the area they still had snow on far edges of the pitch.

We didn''t get a fresh programme i don''t know if this was the case for other city fans but the guy we got them from just gave us the one''s from the postponed fixturethey couldn''t even be bothered to reprint one.

Drury''s Injury.

Pre Pro at Oldham:

I''ll have earnt enough tickets for a free coach trip woo! which ill use for Bristol Rovers for the Promotion/Champions party (fingers crossed!!)

Finally another stadiums I couldn''t imagine Colchester''s being that great seeing as it is a carbon copy of Shrewbury''s and St Mirren''s have a look the only difference is the colours but surely it is a better ground than Layer Road Im surprised not many people have mentioned Hartepool because its freezing up there but it is nice this season to get a choice of so many different stadiums at Champioship nearly all of them are 20-30000 all seaters and whilst are very nice it is always nice to go to stadiums that aren''t all the same saying that I don''t what Carrow Road to change... actually that''s a lie I hope for it to be a 35000 seat stadium in the near future.

Anyway thats my long winded answer on the whole topic hope you all liked it :D and please be nice and don''t point out to me all the grammar and spelling mistakes its taken me an hour to write i don''t plan to spend more time looking through it again I know for a fact I''ll have made an error somewhere haha