Sign in to follow this  
batesout MOT

Away days in League 1

Best - Yeovil''s got a soft spot for me. Great on the terrace.We had a great sunny day and evening match there a couple of years back. Orient is a decent allocation and convenient for the pub in London pre match.  

Worst - Huddersfield is the coldest place on earth and they''ve got a soulless legoland stadium. Also play music [+o(] when they score. Not been to Southampton since the days of the Dell but St Mary''s looks like another Legoland job.

What are your best/worst?

[quote user="batesout MOT"]

Best - Yeovil''s got a soft spot for me. Great on the terrace.We had a great sunny day and evening match there a couple of years back. Orient is a decent allocation and convenient for the pub in London pre match.  

Worst - Huddersfield is the coldest place on earth and they''ve got a soulless legoland stadium. Also play music [+o(] when they score. Not been to Southampton since the days of the Dell but St Mary''s looks like another Legoland job.

[/quote]

Thoroughly enjoyed Col Who despite having to sit in the home end and Wycombe was good for a laugh, but both miles from civilisation tho 

Worst - Milwaaaall, bunch of numpties and

[quote user="batesout MOT"]

[/quote]

Thoroughly enjoyed Col Who despite having to sit in the home end and Wycombe was good for a laugh, but both miles from civilisation tho 

Worst - Milwaaaall, bunch of numpties

Cant really say a best, we have been spoilt in many of them !

Worst has to be Exeter, went all that way to stand on a path !

League 1 has been a real joy for the experience of ''proper'' clubs and ''proper'' grounds.  None of this Emirates cr@p with its extra wide seats and Prawn Sandwich areas

Best -  Brentford, for the 4 pubs

Worst - Withdean at Brighton - its basically a series of temporary death traps rather than proper stands

Scummiest - Southend, full of Chavs

Im off to Oldham next week - which apparently will freeze my b@lls off

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

[quote user="marvin the martian"]Elland road is a right dump ![/quote]

FFS cant you be serious for once - the man was asking a decent question

[/quote]

I take that comment as positive. There''s nothing worse than these soulless ikea stadia, planted in the middle of an industrial estate, eg Colchester.

Oldham will be ok when they build the 4th stand.

[quote user="Mikee123"]Cant really say a best, we have been spoilt in many of them !

Worst has to be Exeter, went all that way to stand on a path ![/quote]It was nice to be able to stand though, also went out drinking in the town in the evening, it was a lot more pleasant than some of those slums up north!

Exeter was marvellous. Agree about the town. Even had a nice lady coming round near the end of the game giving away free pasties - shame they were cold.

Fatty steward telling us we couldn''t stand on his ''walkway'' bit at the back for safety reasons- but it was ok at halftime.

Charming, homely and what, for some of us, football is about. Will miss these grounds - and given how it is now certain that ours has only been a fleeting visit, all the more enjoyable.

Next one up for me is Oldham. Chance to see grounds that I may not see City playing in for some while or that they may well be pulled down before we next visit.

Yeovil has to have been the best. Being allowed out of the ground to sit and have a fag at half time(did ask at Brighton, but was told that I would have to go into the town for that sort of thing !)

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

[quote user="marvin the martian"]Elland road is a right dump ![/quote]

[/quote]He was, but he was asking it on the wrong club''s Forum.Although its not the most polished or modern ground, I enjoyed Edgeley Park for its classic, old-school feel.  Its better than Elland Road''s sterile, over-priced dump....

ColU because I actually think it is a nice stadium, also because I was right at the back right in the middle behind the goal, also because the atmosphere we created was great!  All good![:D]

Oh yeh, we also won 5-0![;)]

Gillingham was very... erm... eventful. Enjoyed giving the little t**t Jackson a barrage of abuse and the late equaliser.To date its the only away game I''ve been to this year but I''ve got more coming up so hopefully they are as good as Gills away [Y]

[quote user="marvin the martian"]

Oh dear, someone seems to have had a sense of humour bypass [:)]

[/quote]

it is a dump, that stupid corner they put you in! the walk back to the car is interesting!

Brentford has been by far my favourite (until the match started of course). Got a right racket going in the terrace, had the pick of four very good pubs and easy to get to by public transport. Strangely, my worst was Col U - loved the game and atmosphere obviously, but it was a boring, identikit Lego stadium with awful drainage both on the pitch and around the stadium and in the middle of nowhere. We parked in the industrial estate and still had a half-hour walk to the ground past endless new build houses, industrial units and roundabouts leading to nowhere. Basically any stadium proposal where the words ''shuttle bus'' are involved should be automatically scrapped. Still, hopefully we''ll never have to go back!

This season, only been Gillingham, Milwall, Brentford, Southend and Walsall (Postponed [:(])Best - Probably Southend. Good atmosphere, great result and not too far to travel. [:)]Worst - Milwall, horrible place.

[quote user="Brendan"]This season, only been Gillingham, Milwall, Brentford, Southend and Walsall (Postponed [:(])Best - Probably Southend. Good atmosphere, great result and not too far to travel. [:)]Worst - Milwall, horrible place.

[/quote][:$][:$][:$]Col U was my favourite. [:D]

Brentford for me. Cr@p game, but lovely late summers evening, nice low roof on the bottom terraced tier, crammed in like sardines = loads of noise/atmosphere.

Knowing Lamber was watching & hoping that he was the messiah.

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "]Gillingham was very... erm... eventful. Enjoyed giving the little t**t Jackson a barrage of abuse and the late equaliser.To date its the only away game I''ve been to this year but I''ve got more coming up so hopefully they are as good as Gills away [Y][/quote]Oh you were one of the majority who seemed to think it was Jackson, not Weston, who got the pen.  That annoyed me all game.  Gillingham was fun though, great weather, and Russell scoring at the end made it all worthwhile.  That and the Charlton game the week before are clearly the turning point in our season.Southampton was a good game as well, the stadium is soulless though.  Exactly the same as the Walkers, Stadium of Light etc etc etc.

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="marvin the martian"]

Oh dear, someone seems to have had a sense of humour bypass [:)]

[/quote]

it is a dump, that stupid corner they put you in! the walk back to the car is interesting!
[/quote]

OK - I agree with you - but at the end of the day you took the piss out of his clubs ground when he''d asked a reasonable question

Sense of humour bypass?  Not me Marvin......you need a sense of humour to post on any message board....

Away games attended this season so far...........Carlisle and Hartlepool were places I have wanted to vist for ages and finally got the chance. Both old grounds with plenty of character.Col U is the most lifeless of the grounds, although that can''t be said for our trip there. It made a change to sit in the main stand rather than the open seating at Swindon. Much better with a roof. Gillingham is a nice ground bar the away end.Contrary to what most people say, I like The Den. Apart from there being an atmosphere, the view from the away end (top tier at least) is excellent.Brighton is awful, but it serves its purpose as there wouldn''t be a team in Brighton otherwise. Feel sorry for the poor sods who go there every other week! Leeds isn''t that bad. I think the Stewards make the experience worse!Wycombe is a nice ground, nice club but in a horrible industrial estate. The away end has improved since it was terracing (for those that went in the 1994 FA Cup tie) but the facilities haven''t changed!Stockport was ok, but why were weren''t given that area in the covered stand as well I have no idea! Southend was the first time I had visited and was surprised just how old the stand and facilities were. I''ve been to some run down old grounds, but the away end at roots hall beats them all. However, a great atmosphere can be generated which led to an enjoyable evening out!Favourite ground - CarlisleFavourite Away day so far - Col U

Southampton away quality ground,awsome match but the stewards let it down again..great atmosphere.Brentford lovely summers evening nice and friendly i found and very enjoyable.Gillingham,nice equaliser just to shut up the pikeys......glorious day weather wise and easy to get to.all in all i liked wycombe,yes basic but friendly and they had friendly and helpfull stewards which is good when you have kids.

Walsal was ok i been worse best bit was the journey home and the result to boot!

[quote user="newcastle uni canary"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

Carlisle, Hartlepool and Stockport......places of character.

[/quote]no signposts to the ground or any stream of fans on their way ended up just walking and hoping[/quote]That''s because it''d only be a trickle heading west from Newcastle methinks......