Sign in to follow this  
Greg Downs Hairpiece

Who was your childhood hero @ City?

ian crook ... for the time he was about to join ipswich and turned his car round and came back .

and back again to help us out , his passing game was some of the best  passing i have ever seen at carrow road .

God this might not go down well, but I guess I should be honest and say Bryan Gunn, Robert Fleck as well. Was a bit older, but still a teenager when Darren Eadie came along and I have to mention him because the club was so depressed at the time, half full Carrow Road, team struggling in the championship or whatever it was called then, and for a while I had the naive belief that Eadie was so good he could return us to the promised land almost single handed, he was a class above.

Graham Paddon. Very nearly the first Norwich player to play for England during his first spell here, only injury stopped that happening.

One of a very players to have scored a hat trick against Arsenal, at Arsenal.

[quote user="singing canary"]chippy was the playmaker , imsure he scored a fair few , his long passing game was something else , 30 yard heat seeking passes !!!!.[/quote]Agreed. Chippy was a legend. Seem to remember him scoring a classic free kick (curled into the top corner from a central position) against Millwall somewhere around 85/86. I also remember a newspaper article in the Times (?) which basically said that Chippy was the best passer of the ball in England and should be in the national side - don''t think he got beyond ''B'' level, though, perhaps not even that...

Possibly a slightly rogue choice as he captained a side that was ultimately relegated but Jon Newsome. I thought he was one of the classiest defenders we ever had. I was gutted when we sold him to Sheffield Wednesday.

Hugh Curran, based on my first game in 1968.

We sold him to Wolves not long after, which prepared me well for the years that followed.

Huckerby will always be the one for me - the only player that was any good that actually wanted to stay.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]Possibly a slightly rogue choice as he captained a side that was ultimately relegated but Jon Newsome. I thought he was one of the classiest defenders we ever had. I was gutted when we sold him to Sheffield Wednesday.[/quote]

agreed

Percy Varco, a wonder to behold. A group of us used to set off from the village around lunchtime and head on our bikes for the Nest.

Much easier to bike into Norwich in them days and you could leave your bikes parked up against the railings quite safely. Though one poor chap who could not ride a bike used to travel in by ''hoop and stick'', which WAS stolen one afternoon. Poor chap had to walk all the way home.

" Give it to Varco" would be the cry. Percy would then shimmy round three or four players and then round the keeper to finish off the move - if he had the ball as well it would be all the better.

Simple days, but happy days.

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

Huckerby will always be the one for me - the only player that was any good that actually wanted to stay.

[/quote]Agree with this, thats why he is our greatest ever player. He is our Matt Le Tissier!

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

[/quote]

Agree with this, thats why he is our greatest ever player. He is our Matt Le Tissier!
[/quote]

Yeah, this one got me thinking...

...Kevin the Cat, followed by Flecky, Ruel, but.......

Not a ''boyhood'' hero, but noone comes close in my lifetime to Huckerby.

The manner of his arrival and the guy could easily have jumped ship when we went downfrom the PL. I always liked him as a player in the early days of the Premier League for Coventry and couldn''t believe we got him on loan, let alone then signing him (after the stuff with his agent).

He loves this club and single handedly carried us in the Championship. The guy is unique in the modern age of this club.

[quote user="CallsignViper"]

Childhood Hero - Mark Bowen

Teenage Hero - Darren Eadie

Current Hero - Adam Drury

[/quote]I guess we''re about the same age then! We certainly have similar taste in players.

Bobby Brennan was my first hero. He didn''t look a footballer with his slieght build and baggy shorts but he was magic to behold.Master of the Nutmeg and how the crowd would roar in expectation, every time they could see it about to happen.

Tommy Bryceland because he scored 2 in the first game i went to in 67 But ultimate hero was Hugh Curran absolute class gutted when we sold him to Golden scum Wolves

Through the years...Keelan and Forbes - the former for his arrogant self belief and the latter for his tough love! Paddon too for his passing and long shots (and flowing hair!). I loved Drinkell in the 80''s - lethal. Stringer not mentioned here but great player and very good manager - a difficult thing to do that.

Modern times of course Hucks as he is such a rare breed these days, Norwich through and through. Hoolihan and Holt could make it onto the list if they stay.

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Paddon
Cross
Peters
Boyer
O''Neill
Reeves
Drinkell
Phelan
Fleck
Fox
Gunn
Ekoku
Bellamy
Roberts
Huckerby
Martin

[/quote]

Farkin long childhood! I know they say schooldays are the best but you''ll have to leave at some stage.