Sign in to follow this  
Cantiaci Canary

Moving to Norwich

Broadstairs, I think it''s important to remember that nowhere in Norwich is actually that bad in the grand scheme of things. I saw Handsworth mentioned earlier in this thread but there''s simply nothing that compares in Norwich. The less desirable areas have already been pointed out to you but even they are pretty tame compared to what you''ll find in the big cities. I think a lot of folks who have lived in Norwich all of their lives perhaps think of these places as ghettos but they would be shocked if they saw how bad areas in other cities can really be. We simply don''t have a Toxteth! As with anywhere else, the main giveaway as to how desirable an area is, is the prices of the houses in it. If it seems too good to be true then it probably is. Have a good look around and for £170k you won''t go too far wrong anywhere in Norwich.

[quote user="singing canary"]

depends on how far out of the city you want to live , horsford , old catton ,taverham all nice parts of norwich not to far from the city .

avoid the larkman (nothing personel to anyone living there) ,south of norwich , poringland is very nice ..mulbarton is about 10 minute drive ..i loved living there .

[/quote]Poringland is a dump, places slightly further that in such as Brooke, Kirstead and Framingham Pigot are much nicer, and only a 20 minute drive away, although houses are expensive.

curnster - Broadstairs, I think it''s important to remember that nowhere in Norwich is actually that bad in the grand scheme of things. I saw Handsworth mentioned earlier in this thread but there''s simply nothing that compares in Norwich. The less desirable areas have already been pointed out to you but even they are pretty tame compared to what you''ll find in the big cities. I think a lot of folks who have lived in Norwich all of their lives perhaps think of these places as ghettos but they would be shocked if they saw how bad areas in other cities can really be. We simply don''t have a Toxteth! As with anywhere else, the main giveaway as to how desirable an area is, is the prices of the houses in it. If it seems too good to be true then it probably is. Have a good look around and for £170k you won''t go too far wrong anywhere in Norwich.

That''s good to hear! I am sure that you''re right but as someone with no idea whatsoever about the suburbs it has been useful to get a general picture.

Wherever I end up I just can''t wait to live within touching distance of Carrow Road!

OTBC

[quote user="Broadstairs Canary"]Cluck the Purist - Come to Sheringham and be my new neighbour......... Won''t you be under water in ten years time?[/quote]

Only if Nutty can get a big enough hosepipe.......

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Broadstairs Canary"]Cluck the Purist - Come to Sheringham and be my new neighbour......... Won''t you be under water in ten years time?[/quote]

Only if Nutty can get a big enough hosepipe.......

[/quote]

I don''t know where people get the idea that I am not fond of Nora!!

I''ve got a soft spot for her...............................

Rather catch Aids from one of the Lakenham hookers

Personally I''d rather you did too........

Clearly your thinking has been influenced by the "climate change" liars........

Sheringham will be there long after the UEA propaganda merchants have been sent packing.

[quote user="curnster"]

Broadstairs, I think it''s important to remember that nowhere in Norwich is actually that bad in the grand scheme of things.

[/quote]This is very important to remember. I see that someone described Horsford as "safe" and a "good place to bring up kids" - well if you''ve only ever lived in Horsford, your view of "safe" might not be the same as people that have lived in London, Bristol, Liverpool, Nottingham etc. In the most part, Norwich is an excellent place to bring up kids, and I know of many young families living right near the city. Nothing to worry about. Some very good schools, lovely parks, great facilities, not far to drive/cylce if you want real countryside.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Handsworth in Birmingham and commute[/quote]

I live  in  handsworth you may have  seen me  going along  soho road wearing my  Norwich City  shirt

Early yesterday morning I just happened to be going near to Sainsbury''s at Dussindale... I rarely go that way... and there was Huckerby in his car at the end of the road about 100 yards away from the house I mentioned.

[quote user="Broadstairs Canary"]tom cavendish - What''s your budget and how many bedrooms? Either £170,000 if buying or £700/£800pm if renting 3 bed[/quote]

Horsford''s been mentioned a couple of times, 20 miles from the coast, 5 miles from the city and 2 miles from the airport and about a mile from the countryside. Price you are looking at would suit for the size of house and a nice area to live. Also has a lively social club (well at weekends)

Depending on your place of work might be worth a look.  Oh and if you want any other information please feel free to ask.

The Great Drinkell - Horsford''s been mentioned a couple of times, 20 miles from the coast, 5 miles from the city and 2 miles from the airport and about a mile from the countryside. Price you are looking at would suit for the size of house and a nice area to live. Also has a lively social club (well at weekends). Depending on your place of work might be worth a look.  Oh and if you want any other information please feel free to ask.

Cheers TGD, I will certainly look into that. Yesterday I drove around the golden triangle and looked around a couple of properties on the rental market. Very impressed. You can certainly get more for your money in Norwich compared to Cambridge ... and a better city too!

I moved from Cambridge to Norwich a couple of years back, I don''t regret it at all.

The only things I miss about Cambridge is it''s location and the greater employment opportunities in certain fields (hi-tech industries for example). The ability to get to London and the rest of the country cheaply and quickly was a big plus point. I used to go out in London more than Cambridge itself, as you could get to Kings Cross in 45 minutes on the train.

Apart from that, Norwich is a much better place to live in virtually every other aspect.

It''s much bigger, cheaper and livelier than Cambridge; and it''s proximity to the coast is another massive advantage.

Ultramagnetic - I moved from Cambridge to Norwich a couple of years back, I don''t regret it at all.

The only things I miss about Cambridge is it''s location and the greater employment opportunities in certain fields (hi-tech industries for example). The ability to get to London and the rest of the country cheaply and quickly was a big plus point. I used to go out in London more than Cambridge itself, as you could get to Kings Cross in 45 minutes on the train.

Apart from that, Norwich is a much better place to live in virtually every other aspect.

It''s much bigger, cheaper and livelier than Cambridge; and it''s proximity to the coast is another massive advantage.

Yes, don''t get me wrong Cambridge has its strengths and is a beautiful city ... but it''s a long way from Carrow Road (especially after a defeat!).

I haven''t explored the Norfolk coast yet but I''m hoping that that will be another great thing about moving. Having lived in Birmingham, Oxford and Cambridge for the past ten years I can''t wait to live close to the seaside again!

It was me who mentioned Horsford as being a nice safe place and yes I completely agree. I have never felt unsafe anywhere in Norwich and yes I do believe that different people make their own comparisons based on experience.

By the way though, I did live in the centre of Norwich for 2.5k years on Heath Rd, just off Magpie Rd. Although I loved the location and always felt safe it was annoying having 4 broken wing mirrors and 1 stolen radio from my car in that time. Obviously this may of just been an isolated inccident and that is not everyones experience of living in the city centre.  Heath Rd was bad as it was a cut through towards the city centre for drinkers.

Overall you''d struggle to find another city the size of Norwich which is as nice to live in. I''d been around the uk visiting a few places and I always feel glad that I live here.

not  sure if has been mentioned yet, only looked at pages 1 and 6 but I would avoid Mile Cross and Larkman - these both seem to have a really bad reputation

I am a Banana - not  sure if has been mentioned yet, only looked at pages 1 and 6 but I would avoid Mile Cross and Larkman - these both seem to have a really bad reputation

Yes, that seems to be a common theme! I think that I will target the golden triangle first as my wife works at UEA and many people have suggested it.

[quote user="Broadstairs Canary"]I am a Banana - not  sure if has been mentioned yet, only looked at pages 1 and 6 but I would avoid Mile Cross and Larkman - these both seem to have a really bad reputation Yes, that seems to be a common theme! I think that I will target the golden triangle first as my wife works at UEA and many people have suggested it.[/quote]

Golden Triangle is thought of as a student area. There is a really great chippy on Stafford Street and the Fat Cat pub (best CAMARA real ale pub in the UK) is on West End Street.

The trouble with the Golden Triangle is that many of the houses are terraced (noise), have bisected gardens (so neighbours and burglars walk through the garden), have downstairs bathrooms via the kitchen, very narrow kitchens, the smallest bedroom is off a main bedroom, and parking is an absolute nightmare.

Horsford has been mentioned but I think it''s very, very bland like no-mans land. The 2 pubs are a bit rough to say the least.

I have been looking for relatives for 2 years for something about 160K and I really doubt that you''ll find better for your money than that 3 bed detached house with a garage at the southern end of Dussindale, Thorpe St Andrew.

It is literally just around the corner from:

* Sainsburys
* A new infants school
* Bannatynes gym & pool

Other plus points:

* Very easy to resell or rent out in the future.

* No noise from Norwich Airport.

* A very quick direct bus into Norwich city centre that stops at Norwich railway station on the way. Therefore ideal for commuting to/from Norwich to Cambridge etc. or going to the football. The bus even stops outside the Coach & Horses pub - so ideal for a pre-match pint.

* Very low crime rate.

* Nice local pubs such as The Rushcutters etc. at Thorpe Green.

* Turn onto Yarmouth Rd and it even takes you all the way right to the football stadium. A 6 min drive according to Google and about 10 mins by bus.

* Broadland Business Park is expanding so plenty of local jobs which will push up house prices.

* Easy to quickly nip to the coast when the sun is out.

My advise - have a look at the house and then drive from it along Yarmouth Rd as if you would be going to the football ground. Stop off on the way at The Rushcutters pub and have a look outside by the river at Thorpe Green.

Also check out the Eaton area (near Waitrose) as that is nice and close to the UEA.

If you are thinking of renting then check this out:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-14555748.html

It is a LOT posher than it looks in the photos - the grounds are brilliant and you will have a very famous well respected former Norwich player as your neighbour.

This one is only 2 bed but worth going for whilst you find your way around and the location is really fantastic:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-14555748.html

I agree that Thorpe St Andrews is a lovely place to live having lived there myself for many years.

If you don''t need to live in the City itself, there are some lovely places within a 15 mile radius out towards the North Norfolk coast.

Tom Cavendish - Couldn''t agree more about Horsford, must admit i was surprised people were recomending it. The people i know in Horsford are all desperate to move.

[quote user="FatboySlimfast"]

Tom Cavendish - Couldn''t agree more about Horsford, must admit i was surprised people were recomending it. The people i know in Horsford are all desperate to move.

[/quote]

Having lived in Eaton, Mile Cross, Catton Grove, Dussindale, Spixworth, Thorpe Marriott & Now Horsford in the past 6 years I think I should add my 2 pence worth..... Horsford is the place out of all those I have been the longest, its a really nice quiet safe place with NO noise from the airport & a 20 bus ride from the city (I don''t use the pubs but thats probably because they don''t look that inviting!).  Eaton is very nice it would be my choice if I could afford it.  I fail to see what all the fuss is about Dusssindale, I lived there for 18 months & I would not go back, all the houses are on top of each other & its very claustrophobic as most of the roads in the estates are narrow.  Thorpe Marriott is ok if a little ''run down'' now.  Spixworth is worth a look not a bad little village.  I personally never had any issues living in Mile Cross or Catton Grove but for obvious reasons they wouldn''t be top of my list!

Thanks

Whisper it, as I''ve not told any of my close friends or family yet, but in all likelihood I''ll be making the trip back to fair old Norfolk later this year, after I''ve graduated and baby #3 has safely been delivered.  The missus hasn''t really managed to make friends up here in Manchester, even though she loves the place, and feels she''s going to need her family and friends around her once the baby has been born.  Fair play, not that I have much choice in the matter!The plan at the moment is to stay with the missus'' parents for 6 months in their fairly large house to save some money up, but that would mean staying in deepest, darkest Norfolk in Ashill, near Swaaaaaaaaaaaaafham.  Barely even a village, its got one pub and that''s closed.  Not looking forward to that one, but should be worth it if we''ve saved a fair wedge of cash by the end of it!Plan then is to move closer to Norwich - the missus likes the Queens Hills development at Longwater, and although I''m not a fan of soulless estates, I have to admit that the houses look fairly nice and you get more for your money than here in Manchester.  Personally, I''d prefer somewhere with a bit more life and atmosphere, and maybe a decent pub or two!  Anyone know about this development or its amenities, ie what''s the school like?

Once more, I''m staggered by the level of responses! Thank you, everyone, for all of these posts it has really helped me. I just can''t wait to lay some roots down there ... wherever it ends up being.

I''m off to the match today with two Saints fans. If we don''t win it will be a long drive back to Cambridge with them in the back! They might end up stranded in Thetford Forest if they don''t shut it!