Sign in to follow this  
Cantiaci Canary

Moving to Norwich

The best areas are

NR7 Thorpe St Andrew - near the Rushcutters pub. Dussindale estate - modern housing estate.

NR13 Brundall - posh village very close to Norwich that has most things and lots of boating. Also has very quick trains into Norwich.

NR8 Drayton, Taverham - modern housing estates.

NR2 Golden Triangle - terraced houses and good local pubs but terrible parking problems.

NR4 Eaton - has a Waitrose.

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

I''m also probably goin to be uprouting from down here in Devon this summer but i want somewhere in the city i can get drugs and hookers on tap if i require, where is best for me to live?

[/quote]Could be tricky if you want both......Perhaps a little out in the sticks near Norwich Rugby Club but with easy access to a chemists.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Handsworth in Birmingham and commute[/quote]

Oi I live in Handsworth. It''s not that bad really! Although there is a shady house down the road from me that always it''s curtains drawn and smells of herbs...

Places to avoidMarlpitEarlhamMile crossLakenhamBowthorpe FiddlewoodArea''s over priced for no reasonGolden Triangle, which has been hyped up by estate agents for no reason, a hotbed of for sales and inflated prices

depends on how far out of the city you want to live , horsford , old catton ,taverham all nice parts of norwich not to far from the city .

avoid the larkman (nothing personel to anyone living there) ,south of norwich , poringland is very nice ..mulbarton is about 10 minute drive ..i loved living there .

[quote user="Hit Squad"]Places to avoidMarlpitEarlhamMile crossLakenhamBowthorpe FiddlewoodArea''s over priced for no reasonGolden Triangle, which has been hyped up by estate agents for no reason, a hotbed of for sales and inflated prices

[/quote]

I take it that Buzz Killington was on the wind up then! Glad I didn''t take his advice!

[quote user="Hit Squad"]Places to avoidMarlpitEarlhamMile crossLakenhamBowthorpe FiddlewoodArea''s over priced for no reasonGolden Triangle, which has been hyped up by estate agents for no reason, a hotbed of for sales and inflated prices

[/quote]

Thanks for your advice.

Am I right in thinking that Fiddlewood, Marl Pit & Larkman are all roads rather than areas?

If so ... are those roads notorious? It seems strange that a couple of fairly short roads have been mentioned so frequently!

Fiddlewood is an estate (mainly Council), look on the map for fiddlewood roadMarlpit is also a typical council estate best avoid area from River up to University this includes the Larkman which is also a typical council estate avoid both sides of larkman lane and all west earlham area this is also close to Bowthorpe estate best to avoid all this area completly.

Hit Squad - Fiddlewood is an estate (mainly Council), look on the map for fiddlewood road Marlpit is also a typical council estate best avoid area from River up to University this includes the Larkman which is also a typical council estate avoid both sides of larkman lane and all west earlham area this is also close to Bowthorpe estate best to avoid all this area completly.

Cheers. I have started colouring over areas on my map already!

[quote user="Broadstairs Canary"]tom cavendish - What''s your budget and how many bedrooms? Either £170,000 if buying or £700/£800pm if renting.[/quote]

I will have a look for now and reply in a bit.

[quote user="Broadstairs Canary"]tom cavendish - What''s your budget and how many bedrooms? Either £170,000 if buying or £700/£800pm if renting 3 bed[/quote]

Here you go - Dussindale - some Norwich players used to live on that estate, it is just around the corner from Sainsburys, handy for the nice pubs by the river such as the Rushcutters, modern schools, quick bus into Norwich.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-13769508.html

[quote user="Hit Squad"]Places to avoidMarlpitEarlhamMile crossLakenhamBowthorpe FiddlewoodArea''s over priced for no reasonGolden Triangle, which has been hyped up by estate agents for no reason, a hotbed of for sales and inflated prices[/quote]I would add Heartsease Estate to the list of places to avoid.

Taverham isn''t what it was, I know- grew up there & parents still live there. Real suburban sprawl with not much to do unless you travel into the city.

Dustbindale, sorry Dussindale is a very modern housing estate which is becoming established. The problem is Whitlingham sewage works ...live in the wrong place and the area smells of poo in summer (I kid you not!)

As for The Golden Triangle being overated ...complete tosh, amazing place to live, it''s got it all. Not just terrace housing. Check out around Jessop Rd, Meadow Rise Rd etc. detached family houses/bungalows with big gardens. I really can''t recommend the area more highly.

£170,000 would probably get you a nice 3 bed terraced house in the Golden Triangle. Great area for pubs, amenities etc. It is full of student types mixed with affluent families, so it depends on what you''re looking for. The houses there generally have nice Victorian or Georgian features and it takes about 10 mins to get into the City Centre. Other areas that have been mentioned (like Thorpe St Andrew, Taverham etc) would be great for families, but probably a bit more pricey for a decent 3 bed place. Although, the varying new builds that are about may go for a good cost. Likely to find a semi-detached on that budget. I live in the North City and it isn''t a bad place to live at all. Lots of good ale pubs close by, I''ve never had any grief and the people are generally cool. Plus, there are developments ongoing to improve the area. Could be a good place to make money on your crib in a few years! I like it here. Then again, I''m only 29 and don''t really have any other commitments.Oh, by the way, Chesterfield Canary. I''m diggin'' the Joy Division sig!

Broadstairs - maybe this is from a slightly older perspective (and female).

I have lived in the Norwich area since 2003 when we moved to Thorpe St Andrew on the Dussindale estate which is a very large estate of new houses, perfectly fine and very nice for families, safe and large Sainsburys, good bus links and a business park nearby, also between there and the city centre a good range of waterside pubs.

After that I moved to Riverside Road, in the heart of Thorpe Hamlet (real city centre), also a good area (though it has the unfortunate claim of being in the red light area), bit busier but again perfectly fine. I now live near the football ground itself and have everything I could wish for nearby. Have also lived right next to the Rosary Tavern (also near the Coach and Horses). If it''s pubs you want try this area or off Dereham Rd, (Fat Cat).

I suppose you have to go for an area which provides what you need, suburbs would be very hard to beat Thorpe St Andrew, a lovely village feel, Taverham is also very nice, similar on the north western side. Afraid I have no school age kids so can''t give you any info on schools.

I don''t hold with bad areas as such, it''s what you make of them, and the people there which count. I have lived in much tougher areas than anything Norwich has to provide and if you treat people with respect you will get on with most.

House wise, modern try Thorpe, Taverham, or a city centre apartment, old Victorian the Golden Triangle or Thorpe Hamlet or the northern city centre around Silver Street and further afield.

As Nutty and co have said, when you have settled in, let Nutty know and he''ll arrange a welcome night for you at the Bayer Club! Hope you were already thinking of this Nutty!!

Well now there''s a thought Gazza[I]

Do you like to play bingo Broadstairs[:^)]

Maybe it would help if Pete could merge this thread with Rudolphs chip shop one. A good chippy is definitely a plus point in house hunting! Or maybe that''s why i seem to have lived in so many undesirable areas[:O]

But fear not because in my experience there are no real undesirable areas. Just undesirable people. And they have a habit of turning up where you least expect them.

Of course I was joking. Depending on how far you want to go, Wymondham (pronounced windham) is nice. 20 minute drive from city centre, good school etc. Mulbarton is also good. Thorpe has to be the best place around the city though.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="Hit Squad"]Places to avoidMarlpitEarlhamMile crossLakenhamBowthorpe FiddlewoodArea''s over priced for no reasonGolden Triangle, which has been hyped up by estate agents for no reason, a hotbed of for sales and inflated prices[/quote]I would add Heartsease Estate to the list of places to avoid.[/quote]

Yes you are quite right I forgot the pleasure of the Heartsease estate as one to avoid

Gazzathegreat - Broadstairs, maybe this is from a slightly older perspective (and female).

I have lived in the Norwich area since 2003 when we moved to Thorpe St Andrew on the Dussindale estate which is a very large estate of new houses, perfectly fine and very nice for families, safe and large Sainsburys, good bus links and a business park nearby, also between there and the city centre a good range of waterside pubs.

After that I moved to Riverside Road, in the heart of Thorpe Hamlet (real city centre), also a good area (though it has the unfortunate claim of being in the red light area), bit busier but again perfectly fine. I now live near the football ground itself and have everything I could wish for nearby. Have also lived right next to the Rosary Tavern (also near the Coach and Horses). If it''s pubs you want try this area or off Dereham Rd, (Fat Cat).

I suppose you have to go for an area which provides what you need, suburbs would be very hard to beat Thorpe St Andrew, a lovely village feel, Taverham is also very nice, similar on the north western side. Afraid I have no school age kids so can''t give you any info on schools.

I don''t hold with bad areas as such, it''s what you make of them, and the people there which count. I have lived in much tougher areas than anything Norwich has to provide and if you treat people with respect you will get on with most.

House wise, modern try Thorpe, Taverham, or a city centre apartment, old Victorian the Golden Triangle or Thorpe Hamlet or the northern city centre around Silver Street and further afield.

As Nutty and co have said, when you have settled in, let Nutty know and he''ll arrange a welcome night for you at the Bayer Club! Hope you were already thinking of this Nutty!!

Thanks for taking the time to put all of this together. To be honest I''m humbled by peoples''s willingness to help me out over this! I''m coming to Norwich Thursday to have a good look around and back on Saturday for the match. Once again, I really appreciate the advice.

nutty nigel - Well now there''s a thought Gazza. Do you like to play bingo Broadstairs. Maybe it would help if Pete could merge this thread with Rudolphs chip shop one. A good chippy is definitely a plus point in house hunting! Or maybe that''s why i seem to have lived in so many undesirable areas. But fear not because in my experience there are no real undesirable areas. Just undesirable people. And they have a habit of turning up where you least expect them.

As I come from Broadstairs originally I don''t arrive in Norfolk expecting to find a fish n chip shop to match what I grew up on anyway!

If you want a good area, nice old Victorian house, decent chip shop and real ale pub you will want Thorpe Hamlet. Only 5 mins to Carrow Road too!

Hope the weather improves for you before Thursday Broadstairs!