Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

The midfield tomorrow

Please dont get me wrong, I think the 4 in midfield have done very well this season. However would we benefit from a change?Keep the back 5 (inc. FF) and the top 2 the same.  If the midfield lined up with McNamee tomorrow and in a 442 formation do we think we''d lose out?McNamee Hoola Rusty Smith is hopefully how we''d line up if said change was made. Am I barking up the wrong tree with that suggestion? Your thoughts please [:)]

Let me rephrase that... I dont think we need to go as far as going 4-4-2 the ''cracked diamond'' has worked very well so far. I guess what I''m really saying is... should we bring McNamee in for the K.O.S? Just for something different?

I don''t personally think so, I believe McNamee is more effective as a 2nd half sub in that position. With KOS we have a bit more stability and McNamee/Hoolahan I can see being a little fragile.

I don''t necessarily buy the idea that because x players have got us this far that we shouldn''t change anything.

Leeds players got them to a supposedly title winning position but now those same players are bottom 6 of the form table.

I agree with the OP in that i''d like to see McNamee given a start but i also realise that it''s very hard to see how he fits in a team that also features Hooly. We could always try Wes as the super sub!! Esp given all the attention he''s been getting lately. Millwall spent the whole week before our game training around how to deal with Hoolahan. Imagine if they''d run out to find he wasn''t there and found McNamee tearing up the wings instead!!

Its just as well Lambert doesn''t tinker with the team in the way some people here would like him to!!!It will be an unchanged starting lineup, with the plan B of bringing MacNamee on.

Much as I like to see players tearing down the wings to put crosses in, I can''t see Lambert changing the diamond just yet. Yes McNamee has looke effective when he comes on as a sub, but he doesn''t have Lappin''s all round game, especially getting back to help the LB out. Southampton are just the sort of team to capitilise on that sort of weekness, as Lambert knows well, having done just that against City in the opening game against ColU. McNamee''s time will come, but not tomorrow IMO. OTBC!

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Southampton play with a lot of width though, we may get caught out on the counter if we keep it narrow.[/quote]Not if the full backs push higher up the field, thats where the diamond compresses and becomes wider.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Southampton play with a lot of width though, we may get caught out on the counter if we keep it narrow.[/quote]Not if the full backs push higher up the field, thats where the diamond compresses and becomes wider.[/quote]I worry about Southampton''s pace though, particularly that Lallana, or however his name is spelt.  With full backs up, it only takes a ball over the top and they are running at Nelson.  I sense a draw tomorrow may be the outcome.  We shall see.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Southampton play with a lot of width though, we may get caught out on the counter if we keep it narrow.[/quote]Not if the full backs push higher up the field, thats where the diamond compresses and becomes wider.[/quote]I worry about Southampton''s pace though, particularly that Lallana, or however his name is spelt.  With full backs up, it only takes a ball over the top and they are running at Nelson.  I sense a draw tomorrow may be the outcome.  We shall see.[/quote]In that case as if that threat is seen as the most likely then if the full backs push up to deny the wingers space to get some speed going then Rusty drops central to cover and the centre backs look wide to snuff out any long balls. And if Lambert makes runs from deep then Rusty can track him.If Saints really do rely mostly on wide attacks than Mr Lamberts will have the plan already sorted.

Our diamond twice, Southampton would tear us apart if we played 442. If they have that much pace how will Hoolahan and Mcnamee defend against them?. Until teams start beating us why mess? and before somebody says change it before we do what eveidence do you have for saying we will win / play better 442. Southampton have nothing to lose they will attack at every oppurtunity, surely they would be able to do this easier with Hoolahan and McNamee left and right in midfield.

Be careful what you wish for

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Our diamond twice, Southampton would tear us apart if we played 442. If they have that much pace how will Hoolahan and Mcnamee defend against them?. Until teams start beating us why mess? and before somebody says change it before we do what eveidence do you have for saying we will win / play better 442. Southampton have nothing to lose they will attack at every oppurtunity, surely they would be able to do this easier with Hoolahan and McNamee left and right in midfield.

Be careful what you wish for[/quote]Ah right, yeah I advocate the diamond.Southampton are a very different team to when we played them last time in terms of personnel, but I think we are a very different team regarding our confidence etc.

Keep the diamond it is still getting results. The players know the system, know their roles and comfortable with it. It is nice that for the first time in years we have eleven round pegs in eleven round holes.

Whereas plan B is not refined enough yet for me. Its very gung ho with little balance in midfield. Could you really carry Hoolahan in a two man midfield? I think we would get overrun to be honest.  I doubt it would effective over 90 mins because we do not have a geniune wide right player to complement McNamee because Smith is not a right winger.

Its a no brainer for me

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Southampton play with a lot of width though, we may get caught out on the counter if we keep it narrow.

[/quote]

Not if the full backs push higher up the field, thats where the diamond compresses and becomes wider.
[/quote]

I worry about Southampton''s pace though, particularly that Lallana, or however his name is spelt.  With full backs up, it only takes a ball over the top and they are running at Nelson.  I sense a draw tomorrow may be the outcome.  We shall see.
[/quote]

In that case as if that threat is seen as the most likely then if the full backs push up to deny the wingers space to get some speed going then Rusty drops central to cover and the centre backs look wide to snuff out any long balls. And if Lambert makes runs from deep then Rusty can track him.If Saints really do rely mostly on wide attacks than Mr Lamberts will have the plan already sorted.
[/quote]

Must be right

I think today will be cracking, Norwich v Saints games usually are.  Anyone remember the 4-4, or the 5-4 when they robbed us in about 1994/5?  Even last year''s 2-2 wasn''t too shabby, Hoolahan''s 30 yarder and all that.I still fear the counter attacking game today, we are short on pace.  Let''s hope I''m totally wrong.