Sign in to follow this  
knowhatimean

City Supporters away flights

Anyone see that our beloved City Council has refused the Airport permission to run extra flights to cater for City away supporters because some sad old gits do not like having late? flights into Norwich Airport because of noise!
Strange, choosing to live near an airport and then objecting to the noise - perhaps they should use gliders instead. Another example of our fine city helping out our team.

I can''t see it being much of a problem...the landing flight path doesn''t go over or near any houses coming in from the east over Redmayne/Beeston Hyrne. As for the other side of the airport, don''t they have the road traffic to deal with anyway.
As far as I can see this is another pathetic council attempt to "dull" the lives of people living in Norwich.

This makes me absolutely fume. I know that this is not really football related but I think that the effect that it has on the area does ultimately effect the image of the city of Norwich and the county as a whole

No wonder people consider Norwich a dull little backwater with this sort of attitude. It probably won''t suprise you all to know that given my board name, I live on the edge of Liverpool in a village placed almost at the end of the runway for Liverpool Airport. It''s a very rural place - a real reminder of God''s County. I kind of guessed that there was an airport here when I bought the house - those big noisy orange things with easyjet plastered all over them kind of gave the game away, oh and the signs pointing to this "airport" thingy.

Believe me, I don''t have any problem with aircraft noise - not even the 0200hrs flight from Barcelona which is less than 500ft above my house when it comes into land. The kind of people who object to this sort of thing are probably the sort of folks who don''t want the City/County to move into the 21st century and they are probably the sort of people who are quick to jump into their people carriers and drive down to Gatwick and Heathrow for their 8hr flight to Orlando or the Caribbean. Oh and they''re only flights for City fans - not for Chelsea or Utd fans who really mean something....!

Sorry - did I rant a little here....?

I would sympathise and understand if it was 5 nights a week, with aircraft landing around midnight-ish, but it is quite petty I think, of the objecting habitants around the airport complaining of the noise.

I live near the airport, and regularly hear ground running and rectification of aircraft engines in the early hours when I come home from working lates.

Helicopters in the early morning, shuttling back and forth from the offshore rigs, create just as much racket as most other aircraft operating from Norwich. 

Wait till the snow falls! The vehicles and snow clearance equipment that''s used to keep the airport functioning, make a ''whining noise'' that, just exceeds the decibels and whining made by the complainaboutanythingcoswearebleatingmiserablesods@nimby.complain.uk. brigade!

When I moved to my current location, I was fully aware of the close proximity of the airport, and the possibility of the noises and environmental disturbances associated by taking up a nearby residence close by!  My choice, and I personally don''t have a problem with it, but some folk clearly have!....... "IN THE AIR CITY!" ;~)     "ZOOOOooooooommmmmm!!!!"

[quote]Anyone see that our beloved City Council has refused the Airport permission to run extra flights to cater for City away supporters because some sad old gits do not like having late? flights into Norwi...[/quote]

Is this not the very same Council who only last May, communicated their delight at our promotion as it would lift the profile of the City, & Norfolk in general, and encourage more investment, tourism etc. But then true to form, when they have the opportunity to help the Club, and it''s supporters, that have helped achieve this higher profile for the region, they bottle it.

The little grey men in suits strike again!

Call it nanny state, beaurocracy or whatever you want, but I  always understood that the main function of an airport was to transport paying passengers, regardless of the timing of flights!

Correct me if I''m wrong, but this is the very same city council who were going to ''do their utmost'' to help the club and it''s supporters! 

It strikes me as really funny when they class Norwich Airport as an International airport when they cant even get an aircraft on the very odd occasion to land after 2300.  It even says International Airport as you enter the premises.  What a laugh.  It is not as if they are going to be Jumbo Jets flying in and by the time the aircraft arrive the locals will be asleep anyway.  I live in Hellesdon and to be honest I dont think I have even heard an aircraft of any distinction. 

One thing that did strike me as alarming though was that at the public meeting they had to discuss the flights not one member of the public turned up to support the idea with everybody who was there foo fooing the proposal.  So maybe it was our own faults for not speaking up.