Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

When will the Doc get full respect?

[quote user="Houston Canary"]lunatic fantasy comments[/quote]Oh, sweet irony!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Simon, when I respond to these lunatic fantasy comments, I often combine them so there may be some mixing of who each paragraph is directed to. Thus the confusion on the oara you hi-lited. I agree fully with your last para. That is what got me started. Here is a thread started by someone who thinks Doherty has been the victim of hate threads all year long but there have not been any in months. Even his detractors say he is playnig well since returning to the team, but the ones who wear blinders make up ridiculous stories about how awesome he is. Then you come on here and demand only that I somehow provide proof for things I write, which I have done as best I can (okay, you tell me what teams were swarming around trying to sign Doherty on the various occasions he was available, since it will be easier for you to prove a positive than me a negative).[/quote]

That''s frankly ridiculous. I''m neither Doc''s agent nor an employee of the club. How would I know who came in for him and how would you know? The only thing I am sure of is that you are stating clubs didn''t come in for him, so it is entirely up to you to prove it. I made no claim as to whether clubs had or hadn''t come in for him, I merely said him not moving did not prove your point that he is not in demand.

I think this a total waste of time. Let''s stop posting now. We all agree he''s playing well, end of.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Too bad he didn''t do it 4 years ago. Or 3 or 2 or 1.[/quote]

If i remember correctly, Doc got player of the season in 2005-06 and 3rd last year?

Doc''s city career has been up and down since he''s been here.

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="Houston Canary"]lunatic fantasy comments[/quote]Oh, sweet irony![/quote]

Do you not read the other people''s comments, IS?[/quote]Well I''ve not seen anyone suggest that Doherty is a God, have you?

What gives away the real attitude of Houston and others is the need to trawl up the past in order to criticise a player who could not otherwise be criticised in the present.

But, the fact is, Doc has previously not been as poor as some like to paint him and I honestly believe there is an image problem - hence my light hearted post about him getting a new haircut.

For some, his face doesn''t fit, like Gordon Brown or alternatively Jedwood whose popularity is based on image alone.

I bet Houston is one of those guys who spends hours in the rest room, exfoliating, tinting his hair and posing in front of the mirror. Clearly, Doc does not, but unlike Martin Peters being 10 years ahead of his time is not a remark about his footballing ability.

Simon, every other player who''s great and available generates interest that makes the news, so why not Doherty?

Tookie, Thank you for admitting Doherty has had some down time. His legion of fantasists write off bad games as not his fault but him playing the entire mid and back field with 5 or 6 disinterested wastes of money.

IS, see above comment and for it to be true that he did all that, he''d have to be a God.

RuPhuck, you were the one who came up with the idea that he was not as popular as his talent and dedication deserve because of his looks, not me. Is Wayne Rooney derided by ManUre fans? He''s no Fabio or Houston Canary, or were you so out of ideas that was the best you could come up with? Earnshaw was not a handsome guy but he was pretty popular when with us.

Doc has found his level in league 1, he has played well at this level, but you have to look at the facts around our demise, player of the season! we got relegated for flips sake! Doc has been with us thick and thin i will give credit for that, but i wouldnt want him to be wearing a city shirt in the championship!

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]How would I know who came in for him and how would you know? The only thing I am sure of is that you are stating clubs didn''t come in for him, so it is entirely up to you to prove it. I made no claim as to whether clubs had or hadn''t come in for him, I merely said him not moving did not prove your point that he is not in demand.[/quote]I find it interesting that we''ve had endless reports, posts, rumours, paper talk and god knows what else for the last 10 years covering everything from Carl Cort in ASDA to signing Steffen Iversen, or that Shrewsbury were interested in Cureton, yet when Doherty was advised he could leave by Lambert where were all the reports linking him with alternative options? Where were the ''Doherty to sign on free for CCC side'', or "Doherty ending 6 year relationship with Norwich to join..."?Surely a player of the caliber than many are painting on here would be widely wanted by a number of clubs, particularly on a free transfer, and yet we heard virtually nothing about him leaving apart from a potential loan move to Watford.Does this mean there was a lack of interest? Maybe that Doherty decided to stay and fight for his place? The fact is that we don''t know the truth of the matter, but the indications are clearly there that he was freely available and not 1 club made the decision to sign him.Keeping this in mind I decided to have a look for what info I could find about this loan move and found some interesting comments from a couple of the links:This is from a Watford forum: "I can tell you that every goal that Norwich have conceded in the last

five years has either been the fault of him or Drury. He is not up to

the Championship. Crap in the air, awful judgement, slow as an arse.""No pace, poor marker, numerous goals conceded due to his mistakes,

struggling to get into a league one side.....there is a clue in the

"told he can leave" quote..it''s because he''s utterly useless.""you study every goal that Norwich have conceeded in the past few years

and he will be in the mix of it, slicing the ball, missing a header

getting outpaced. The only positive I can say about him as a player is

that he is dangerous at set pieces, otherwise, I would rather an a raw

inexperiened academy player in the team than that pikey $hit scummer""he''s a grade A donkey who i never want to see in a Watford shirt, pile of sh*t""My God lets pray this isnt true, awful awful signing this would be""Never seen the guy have a good game. Ever.""It''s in the Eastern Daily Press today, suggesting that he may be coming to us on loan, If so, i would suggest a five minute loan, as it wouldn''t take a blind

man any longer than that to realise that he is complete carp!""Any manager who even thinks about signing the ginger Pelè should be sacked with immediate effect.""Please god, not gary doherty, i would rather have my mum play for us than him!"Food for thought there, but maybe that''s just Watford fans, what do others think?Well just as an example there''s also:"Doherty''s way of playing would be better suited on a Rugby pitch. ""as for Doherty, I remember walking out of WHL and vowing never to return until he was sold!!!""This half bald klutz was bought by Spurs

from Luton Town by David Pleat. The idea was that he would be Spurs''

Dion Dublin. Apparently, he was - like Dublin - equally good at centre

half and centre forward. This turned out to be sort of true.

Doherty was, indeed, equally good at centre forward and centre back. He

was terrible at both. For a big man, his heading ability was terrible;

he had no first touch and no pace at all. Thus, deservingly, he is now

playing for Norwich City
""I must express my surprise at the inclusion of Gary Doherty (not that

my opinion is particularly informed). Whenever he''s played against my

team, Cardiff City, he''s always looked very erratic!""He''s certainly not the most

elegant of footballers and often miss-times tackles giving away

needless fouls."And my personal favourites from Doherty himself after being advised by Lambert he was surplus to requirements:"I would rather get away, I don''t know if a

loan is a good idea, but I am just going to look at my options and see

what the craic is, what''s out there."
"We sat down and he said I wasn''t really in his plans, He

told me he was going with other players which was fair enough, that is

what managers do, but then with all the injuries we''ve got he just

asked me in and said, ''Where is your head at? I need you to play"
So we have clear evidence from the player that his recall to the team was purely due to injuries and not Lambert suddenly having either a ''Eureka!'' or "what have i done..." moment. It''s to Doherty''s credit that he''s played well since this point, but let''s be reasonable here and admit that he wasn''t recalled on ability. We can also clearly see that Doherty felt that a move would be the right choice, but more on a perm deal than as a loan, yet despite stating his desire to leave, he didn''t...I could go on here, but I''m sure we can also find plenty of stuff out there praising the guy also.However this in itself proves something, in that opposing clubs don''t want anything to do with signing him, a number of our fans also don''t rate the guy that highly, and yet despite these factors we still get a number of dissenting views stating what a good player he is. I''ve heard loads of feedback over the years about Norwich players, from effusive praise towards players like Hucks and Ashton, to indifference in Francis and Mckenzie, but I''ve never heard as much poor feedback or abuse as I have about Doherty. There seems to be an almost blanket like dislike of the players ability outside of the club from other fans, many of whom are baffled that we''ve still got him, and some even more so that he''s receiving praise for playing well at this level when he was meant to be Prem standard.I''m sure many know my own opinion about him, and if not can probably gather it purely from this post, but the fact is that he hasn''t been good enough for us in previous seasons, and chances are that he wouldn''t be next season assuming we go up. That doesn''t mean we can''t get the best out of him now whilst at this level, but simply that we are going to need better options in the CCC.So in response to the initial thread title - Respect for his effort level - Absolutely, Respect for his Ability - Probably never. I just can''t respect someone for picking up Prem or CCC wages whilst playing League 1 standard football, something that Doherty has done for a number of seasons for us. That he''s found his real level this season should be blatantly apparent to even most blinkered fans, and the fact that Spurs managed to mug us off for £750k+ for a League 1 defender is an outrage.Hopefully this will be a moot point however next season...

Well, I will base my opinion on Doc on my own thoughts and not those of others.

But, Houston, to you I have to admit I was wrong. You clearly don''t mind what your blokes look like as long as they perform for you.

Good one, RuPhuck! Top drawer comedy material again. You should have your own TV show.

Not only great comedy, but also you admit that perhaps Doherty is NOT "all that" after hearing it from me a bunch of times and from Indy_Bones.

Whiners demand sources, and Indy came up with a bunch, to which they snidely comment about how much time he must have on his hands while ignoring the time and effort they have put into losing this debate is 10 times what he did in 1 excellent post.

Ahhhh, I can''t stop laughing at RuPhuck''s insinuation even though it is he who has been all over Doherty and how wonderful he is, and then bringing up his looks, as if that matters to any heteros while it does to him.

Houston, you have taken it upon yourself to respond to qualified congratulatory posts on Doc with criticism based upon some limited personal observation and the opinions of others.

Okay, you don''t like the player but do try to overcome your prejudice for a player currently playing a leading role in getting Norwich promoted and who is going to have a key role this weekend when two top sets of strikers face up.

BTW there is nothing wrong with a little male grooming so please don''t get all insecure over it.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Houston, you have taken it upon yourself to respond to qualified congratulatory posts on Doc with criticism based upon some limited personal observation and the opinions of others.

Okay, you don''t like the player but do try to overcome your prejudice for a player currently playing a leading role in getting Norwich promoted and who is going to have a key role this weekend when two top sets of strikers face up.

BTW there is nothing wrong with a little male grooming so please don''t get all insecure over it.[/quote]

Lambert is not stupid, he brought in 2 centre backs for what reason? Doc will become cover for these 2, he is playing well this season, but this is his level and he will struggle in the championship[p!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="SimonOTBC"]How would I know who came in for him and how would you know? The only thing I am sure of is that you are stating clubs didn''t come in for him, so it is entirely up to you to prove it. I made no claim as to whether clubs had or hadn''t come in for him, I merely said him not moving did not prove your point that he is not in demand.[/quote]I find it interesting that we''ve had endless reports, posts, rumours, paper talk and god knows what else for the last 10 years covering everything from Carl Cort in ASDA to signing Steffen Iversen, or that Shrewsbury were interested in Cureton, yet when Doherty was advised he could leave by Lambert where were all the reports linking him with alternative options?

Where were the ''Doherty to sign on free for CCC side'', or "Doherty ending 6 year relationship with Norwich to join..."?

Surely a player of the caliber than many are painting on here would be widely wanted by a number of clubs, particularly on a free transfer, and yet we heard virtually nothing about him leaving apart from a potential loan move to Watford.

Does this mean there was a lack of interest? Maybe that Doherty decided to stay and fight for his place? The fact is that we don''t know the truth of the matter, but the indications are clearly there that he was freely available and not 1 club made the decision to sign him.

Keeping this in mind I decided to have a look for what info I could find about this loan move and found some interesting comments from a couple of the links:

This is from a Watford forum:
"I can tell you that every goal that Norwich have conceded in the last five years has either been the fault of him or Drury. He is not up to the Championship. Crap in the air, awful judgement, slow as an arse."

"No pace, poor marker, numerous goals conceded due to his mistakes, struggling to get into a league one side.....there is a clue in the "told he can leave" quote..it''s because he''s utterly useless."

"you study every goal that Norwich have conceeded in the past few years and he will be in the mix of it, slicing the ball, missing a header getting outpaced. The only positive I can say about him as a player is that he is dangerous at set pieces, otherwise, I would rather an a raw inexperiened academy player in the team than that pikey $hit scummer"

"he''s a grade A donkey who i never want to see in a Watford shirt, pile of sh*t"

"My God lets pray this isnt true, awful awful signing this would be"

"Never seen the guy have a good game. Ever."

"It''s in the Eastern Daily Press today, suggesting that he may be coming to us on loan, If so, i would suggest a five minute loan, as it wouldn''t take a blind man any longer than that to realise that he is complete carp!"

"Any manager who even thinks about signing the ginger Pelè should be sacked with immediate effect."

"Please god, not gary doherty, i would rather have my mum play for us than him!"

Food for thought there, but maybe that''s just Watford fans, what do others think?

Well just as an example there''s also:

"
Doherty''s way of playing would be better suited on a Rugby pitch. "

"
as for Doherty, I remember walking out of WHL and vowing never to return until he was sold!!!"

"
This half bald klutz was bought by Spurs from Luton Town by David Pleat. The idea was that he would be Spurs'' Dion Dublin. Apparently, he was - like Dublin - equally good at centre half and centre forward. This turned out to be sort of true. Doherty was, indeed, equally good at centre forward and centre back. He was terrible at both. For a big man, his heading ability was terrible; he had no first touch and no pace at all. Thus, deservingly, he is now playing for Norwich City"

"
I must express my surprise at the inclusion of Gary Doherty (not that my opinion is particularly informed). Whenever he''s played against my team, Cardiff City, he''s always looked very erratic!"

"He''s certainly not the most elegant of footballers and often miss-times tackles giving away needless fouls."

And my personal favourites from Doherty himself after being advised by Lambert he was surplus to requirements:

"
I would rather get away, I don''t know if a loan is a good idea, but I am just going to look at my options and see what the craic is, what''s out there."

"We sat down and he said I wasn''t really in his plans, He told me he was going with other players which was fair enough, that is what managers do, but then with all the injuries we''ve got he just asked me in and said, ''Where is your head at? I need you to play"

So we have clear evidence from the player that his recall to the team was purely due to injuries and not Lambert suddenly having either a ''Eureka!'' or "what have i done..." moment. It''s to Doherty''s credit that he''s played well since this point, but let''s be reasonable here and admit that he wasn''t recalled on ability. We can also clearly see that Doherty felt that a move would be the right choice, but more on a perm deal than as a loan, yet despite stating his desire to leave, he didn''t...

I could go on here, but I''m sure we can also find plenty of stuff out there praising the guy also.

However this in itself proves something, in that opposing clubs don''t want anything to do with signing him, a number of our fans also don''t rate the guy that highly, and yet despite these factors we still get a number of dissenting views stating what a good player he is.

I''ve heard loads of feedback over the years about Norwich players, from effusive praise towards players like Hucks and Ashton, to indifference in Francis and Mckenzie, but I''ve never heard as much poor feedback or abuse as I have about Doherty. There seems to be an almost blanket like dislike of the players ability outside of the club from other fans, many of whom are baffled that we''ve still got him, and some even more so that he''s receiving praise for playing well at this level when he was meant to be Prem standard.

I''m sure many know my own opinion about him, and if not can probably gather it purely from this post, but the fact is that he hasn''t been good enough for us in previous seasons, and chances are that he wouldn''t be next season assuming we go up. That doesn''t mean we can''t get the best out of him now whilst at this level, but simply that we are going to need better options in the CCC.

So in response to the initial thread title - Respect for his effort level - Absolutely, Respect for his Ability - Probably never.

I just can''t respect someone for picking up Prem or CCC wages whilst playing League 1 standard football, something that Doherty has done for a number of seasons for us.
That he''s found his real level this season should be blatantly apparent to even most blinkered fans, and the fact that Spurs managed to mug us off for £750k+ for a League 1 defender is an outrage.

Hopefully this will be a moot point however next season...
[/quote]

Not that it really matters, and I''m certainly not gonna bother to research it, I thought he was rumoured to be going to Plymouth.

The most notable thing to me about this post is that it is largely made up of posts of other fans which begs the question how could they possibly have seen that much of him. Just more local versions of Houston. The fact he may be seen involved in goals against doesn''t really mean much, that would be the same for most clubs and their defenders, just like most of the goals scored will feature the forwards.

The reason for his recall is irrelevant, Lambert may not have had a choice at the time, but does he feel the same way about him now, I doubt it.

I quote, "However this in itself proves something, in that opposing clubs don''t want anything to do with signing him". All it proves is some opposing fans don''t rate him.

The fact he said he would be looking for a permanent deal instead of a loan was completely understandale given the circumstances and that his contract expired at the end of the season. It is misleading to say he had a desire to leave the club and that he thought it was the right choice, it reasonable to assume he didn''t think he had much choice.

There have been a lot of views and many words dressed as proof.

As I have questioned negative posts (even though there hasn''t been any (apart from the ones that are but they''re not cos there aren''t any but they are) for ages, in fact never) I obviously think he is god and can''t understand why people don''t think he''s sexy and an absolute city legend (additional facts for Houston to muddle and jumble into any Ginger Pele argument). It is quite clear that whether posters rate him or not if they question the negative comments their comments are ridiculously exaggerated and twisted. So I guess I am either him, his wife,his mum, his girlfriend or boyfriend and probably carrying his child. Perhaps, as he is getting used to living here in Norfolk I could be all of them rolled into one.

RuPhuck, you keep chopping and changing. Now YOU are the one using gel and sprays to ready himself for the night out with his buddies.

You were taken to the woodshed and put in your place, and still you gotta change the debate, get personal with unfunny material, and take immature cheap shots.

I never said he wasn''t playing well at the mo.

Blimey! I never expected all this.....I don''t think for one minute I said in the original post that Doc was the best defender we''d ever had, nor that he was blameless throughout the whole of last season - we''ve all seen his arms all around opposition strikers and we all know he isn''t the fastest CB this club has ever had. Nor was Malky, nor was Duncan Forbes, nor was Newsome, nor for that matter was Butterworth or Poulson or Linigan. I dare say there are others we''d all like to compare him with. He is no world beater. I was simply trying to redress the balance (which in my view reading posters here for many years) that he is an important and loyal member of NCFC and that his goals and spirit THIS year have been an important part of our success, he never moans either (still another poster pointed out he is paid well enough - but since a lower wage offer was made by Roeder and accepted last year by Docherty he is not one of the highest paid at the club.

To state too, that he was largely at fault for the fact that we went down last year is nonsense. Our midfield and other defenders were just as much to blame - although thats another subject - the succession of striker loans was dreadful as was Roeder''s man management.

What the replies to this thread tell me is that given the sheer interest in this topic, The Doc does get respect from most people. If Lambert does decide that he goes next year or does not give him a new contract then hopefully he will leave with our fond memories. Rudolph offers another interesting take on his hair (lack of) but I am not so sure. I have enjoyed his renewed fight this year and love the fact that he keeps popping up in the box at the other end and scoring. Lord it has been many years waiting for him to do that.

I guess too there''s something in me that dislikes players being maligned constantly... especially if not always for the right reasons and therefore it needs someone to make a point and this was behind my thread. I hope he scores again Saturday and we don''t concede. I wonder how many points he has contributed actually this year (with no goals conceded and winning goals)? Someone will be able to tell us. Because The Doc certainly has contributed well, I''m sure, and with all the other great contributions  is why we are all enjoying this season. 

HA HA HA HA! Srtop it, RuPhuck. You are the limit! Ooohhh, my sides are aching. What does your "partner", BobPhuck or JasonPhuck or whatever his name of think of your hilarity?

[quote user="sonyc"]

Blimey! I never expected all this.....I don''t think for one minute I said in the original post that Doc was the best defender we''d ever had, nor that he was blameless throughout the whole of last season - we''ve all seen his arms all around opposition strikers and we all know he isn''t the fastest CB this club has ever had. Nor was Malky, nor was Duncan Forbes, nor was Newsome, nor for that matter was Butterworth or Poulson or Linigan. I dare say there are others we''d all like to compare him with. He is no world beater. I was simply trying to redress the balance (which in my view reading posters here for many years) that he is an important and loyal member of NCFC and that his goals and spirit THIS year have been an important part of our success, he never moans either (still another poster pointed out he is paid well enough - but since a lower wage offer was made by Roeder and accepted last year by Docherty he is not one of the highest paid at the club.

To state too, that he was largely at fault for the fact that we went down last year is nonsense. Our midfield and other defenders were just as much to blame - although thats another subject - the succession of striker loans was dreadful as was Roeder''s man management.

What the replies to this thread tell me is that given the sheer interest in this topic, The Doc does get respect from most people. If Lambert does decide that he goes next year or does not give him a new contract then hopefully he will leave with our fond memories. Rudolph offers another interesting take on his hair (lack of) but I am not so sure. I have enjoyed his renewed fight this year and love the fact that he keeps popping up in the box at the other end and scoring. Lord it has been many years waiting for him to do that.

I guess too there''s something in me that dislikes players being maligned constantly... especially if not always for the right reasons and therefore it needs someone to make a point and this was behind my thread. I hope he scores again Saturday and we don''t concede. I wonder how many points he has contributed actually this year (with no goals conceded and winning goals)? Someone will be able to tell us. Because The Doc certainly has contributed well, I''m sure, and with all the other great contributions  is why we are all enjoying this season. 

[/quote]

You speak much sense sony!

It always makes my blood boil when Norwich fans blame the Doc for everything thats gone wrong with the team in the past, blown out of all proportion a Doc mistake when others like Askou who ISNT as good as the Doc have made mistakes that get quickly forgotton about and make out the Doc is one of the poorest centrebacks around and a certain US based fan who rarely goes to games is so blatantly wrong in his accessment of the Doc!

The truth is the Doc has been in great form this season, I honestly think you''d struggle to find a better CB in this League. The Doc was one of our best players last season and overall has had many more good games than bad games!

As for Houstons reakoning that if the Doc was that good then why wasn''t clubs interested in him?

Well how do we know clubs wern''t?

Did Holt and Hoolahan have clubs after rthem in the transfer window or not?

As we''ve seen with Cureton, clubs signing players can take a bit of time and the Doc wasn''t out in the cold for that long anyhow!

For the record I was told that Watford and Plymouth did show some interest in the Doc and something may well of happened had the Doc not broke back into the side!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]I honestly think you''d struggle to find a better CB in this League[/quote]That''s the point we''re making. Doherty was not signed as a League 1 defender, he wasn''t even signed as a Championship defender, he was signed as a Premiership quality player, and it''s not been until this season that we''ve seen him perform pretty well in most games.No-one is questioning his performance this season, simply that we''re not going to sing his praises when he should really have been playing at this performance level for the past 4-5 years, not just now when we''re up against weaker opposition.[quote]The Doc was one of our best players last season and overall has had many more good games than bad games![/quote]I''d suggest that''s debateable, because for as many decent challenges he''s made, we can count far more occurences of "bear hugging", clumsiness, slow reactions, and a number of other failings. The problem with Doherty is that even if he doesn''t make that many mistakes in a game, the ones he does make are often big ones which have at times been game breaking. I''ve seen more of these type of errors or similar from Doherty than I have other options we''ve played, hence my general lack of belief in the player.[quote]As for Houstons reakoning that if the Doc was that good then why wasn''t clubs interested in him?

Well how do we know clubs wern''t? 

For the record I was told that Watford and Plymouth did show some interest in the Doc and something may well of happened had the Doc not broke back into the side![/quote]Let''s not be coy here, if these other clubs were genuinely interested, the move would have happened. With the financial situation of the game, most clubs cannot simply afford to turn down free transfers of players of the required standard, and if it was felt that Doherty was at this level - why no move? Can you honestly tell me that Plymouth and Watford are affluent enough to ignore apparent CCC quality players on free transfers? Maybe there were concerns over wages, but even so, there would have been a meeting to discuss this, something that none of the parties ever claim to have occurred.We can''t say 100% one way or the other, but surely you have to admit that the evidence here strongly suggests a lack of genuine interest?To clarify my position here:I feel that Doherty is a League 1/Low CCC level defender who''s performing well this season, but has been erratic previously and even now can look lacking in composure and a potential liability with flailing arms and often uncoordinated looking movement. I don''t think he''s good enough to be a regular player assuming we go back up, and unless he''s available for comparatively low wages as a cheap squad backup option, he should be moved on in the summer.

The Doc when he first played for us was up front more than playing at the back which wasn''t right!

The Doc with Clingan were far and away our best 2 players over the course of last season!

We''ll never know for sure whether Watford and/or Plymouth were interested in the Doc. But why would he want to go to Plymouth anyway cause we''re more than likely going to be swapping Divisions while Watford sounds plausable cause its near the Docs Luton heartland and I''m sure Malky being an ex CB would apreciate the Docs abilities which many Norwich fans don''t!

I disagree totally that the Doc is a League 1 level defender cause the reason why his performance levels have got even better this season is cause hes playing at a level below his which is a middle of the road Championship player!

Its laughable when people say hes got to be replaced if we go up cause hes been a major player this season and has been decent at Championship level below and is at his age in his prime cause central defenders reach their peak in their late 20''s!

Last season gives perfect evidence to how good the Doc is - Roedernowhere got in 2 supposedly better centrebacks in Stefanovic and Kennedy and the Doc was better than both of them regardless of injuries.

Another annoyance of mine this season is how people have gone overboard in praising Askou. Yes hes done a good job but hes not that good cause he can''t play the ball out as well as the Doc and is not as assured defensively.

Still some people will never get over the blinkered scapgoating when accessing the Docs performances for us!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

The Doc when he first played for us was up front more than playing at the back which wasn''t right!

The Doc with Clingan were far and away our best 2 players over the course of last season!

We''ll never know for sure whether Watford and/or Plymouth were interested in the Doc. But why would he want to go to Plymouth anyway cause we''re more than likely going to be swapping Divisions while Watford sounds plausable cause its near the Docs Luton heartland and I''m sure Malky being an ex CB would apreciate the Docs abilities which many Norwich fans don''t!

I disagree totally that the Doc is a League 1 level defender cause the reason why his performance levels have got even better this season is cause hes playing at a level below his which is a middle of the road Championship player!

Its laughable when people say hes got to be replaced if we go up cause hes been a major player this season and has been decent at Championship level below and is at his age in his prime cause central defenders reach their peak in their late 20''s!

Last season gives perfect evidence to how good the Doc is - Roedernowhere got in 2 supposedly better centrebacks in Stefanovic and Kennedy and the Doc was better than both of them regardless of injuries.

Another annoyance of mine this season is how people have gone overboard in praising Askou. Yes hes done a good job but hes not that good cause he can''t play the ball out as well as the Doc and is not as assured defensively.

Still some people will never get over the blinkered scapgoating when accessing the Docs performances for us!

[/quote]

What on earth is wrong with blinkered scapegoating, not sure if it should have a e in but from a pronounciation  piont of view thought it should have, but there is a history of  dislexia in my family, also spelling was a problem  traite! 

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]

That''s the point we''re making. Doherty was not signed as a League 1 defender, he wasn''t even signed as a Championship defender, he was signed as a Premiership quality player, and it''s not been until this season that we''ve seen him perform pretty well in most games.
No-one is questioning his performance this season, simply that we''re not going to sing his praises when he should really have been playing at this performance level for the past 4-5 years, not just now when we''re up against weaker opposition.

[/quote]

But Gary Doherty has played the very vast majority of his football in the top two tiers of the English game.

Quite simply, you don''t do that if you''re not up to it.

I''m sure anyone watching us on a regular basis over recent seasons would know that the guy has defended well for us. He was probably the main reason we hung on as long as we did last season, quite often the good quality of his performances and the level of commitment to the cause were not met by those around him.

We''ve carried some weak players in recent times, Gary Doherty is not one of them. Not at all.

Still, by a very long way, the best central defender at the club until proven otherwise.

[quote user="GJP"]

That''s the point we''re making. Doherty was not signed as a League 1 defender, he wasn''t even signed as a Championship defender, he was signed as a Premiership quality player, and it''s not been until this season that we''ve seen him perform pretty well in most games.No-one is questioning his performance this season, simply that we''re not going to sing his praises when he should really have been playing at this performance level for the past 4-5 years, not just now when we''re up against weaker opposition.[/quote]

But Gary Doherty has played the very vast majority of his football in the top two tiers of the English game.

I''m sure anyone watching us on a regular basis over recent seasons would know that the guy has defended well for us. He was probably the main reason we hung on as long as we did last season, quite often the good quality of his performances and the level of commitment to the cause were not met by those around him.

We''ve carried some weak players in recent times, Gary Doherty is not one of them. Not at all.

Still, by a very long way, the best central defender at the club until proven otherwise.

[/quote]They won''t listen you know lol.Not even if this thread gets to 30 pages, which I wouldn''t bet against.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

That''s the point we''re making. Doherty was not signed as a League 1 defender, he wasn''t even signed as a Championship defender, he was signed as a Premiership quality player, and it''s not been until this season that we''ve seen him perform pretty well in most games.
No-one is questioning his performance this season, simply that we''re not going to sing his praises when he should really have been playing at this performance level for the past 4-5 years, not just now when we''re up against weaker opposition.

[/quote]

[/quote]

They won''t listen you know lol.

Not even if this thread gets to 30 pages, which I wouldn''t bet against.
[/quote]

In the 3 years I''ve been posting on here I would say 70-80 percent of my posts have been sticking up for the Doc and trying to get people to realise he''s a good player for us.

Football is all about opinions but.... some are a bit more correct than others.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

That''s the point we''re making. Doherty was not signed as a League 1 defender, he wasn''t even signed as a Championship defender, he was signed as a Premiership quality player, and it''s not been until this season that we''ve seen him perform pretty well in most games.No-one is questioning his performance this season, simply that we''re not going to sing his praises when he should really have been playing at this performance level for the past 4-5 years, not just now when we''re up against weaker opposition.[/quote]

[/quote]They won''t listen you know lol.Not even if this thread gets to 30 pages, which I wouldn''t bet against.[/quote]

In the 3 years I''ve been posting on here I would say 70-80 percent of my posts have been sticking up for the Doc and trying to get people to realise he''s a good player for us.

[/quote]Lol, hearing that![Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They won''t listen you know lol.

Not even if this thread gets to 30 pages, which I wouldn''t bet against.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol, hearing that!

[Y]
[/quote]

lol indeed

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[/quote]

That''s a joke at the end, right? It bothers you that people have gone overboard in praising Askou. Come ON! Have you read what people write about how awesome Doherty is, that he is the only one who shows up on game day, that he covers for the midfield and defense, that he was the one who kept us in contention for most of last season? And you think Askou is being praised too much?

In his tenure at NCFC, Askou has not anchored a defense that got relegated twice. He has played on a team that is in first place, though. He has not had a chance to play for us at a higher level, so it''s kind of hard to be very critical of the guy.

By the way, once again, everyone agrees Doherty is playing well these days.

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[/quote]

That''s a joke at the end, right? It bothers you that people have gone overboard in praising Askou. Come ON! Have you read what people write about how awesome Doherty is, that he is the only one who shows up on game day, that he covers for the midfield and defense, that he was the one who kept us in contention for most of last season? And you think Askou is being praised too much?

In his tenure at NCFC, Askou has not anchored a defense that got relegated twice. He has played on a team that is in first place, though. He has not had a chance to play for us at a higher level, so it''s kind of hard to be very critical of the guy.

By the way, once again, everyone agrees Doherty is playing well these days.[/quote]When was the last time you actually went to a game?