Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

When will the Doc get full respect?

Great result today and who comes up with the winner? Our much maligned centre half and one who has served us in green and yellow for second longest (behind Drury). Reminds me of Malky and his goals when we went up in 2004. We missed him after. Doc you are becoming a legend in 2010

I was under the impression most people were impressed with him this season, since being left out by Lambert...

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Too bad he didn''t do it 4 years ago. Or 3 or 2 or 1.[/quote]

As I said - a legend in 2010!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Too bad he didn''t do it 4 years ago. Or 3 or 2 or 1.[/quote]http://www.whylay.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/1.jpg

When he does it at the level he was signed to do it at?

Still not first choice from what we have for me if all players are fully fit.

The game could of been lost by then if Lappin and Nelson never cleared off the line.  I suppose that means that those two are good enough to stay in the managers long term plans also?

A better team would of crucified us on the break when we went to 3 at the back and it is only the poor quality of the opposition in this league that allows us to get away with doing such things so often without being caught out.

[quote user="Smudger"]

The game could of been lost by then if Lappin and Nelson never cleared off the line.  I suppose that means that those two are good enough to stay in the managers long term plans also?

A better team would of crucified us on the break when we went to 3 at the back and it is only the poor quality of the opposition in this league that allows us to get away with doing such things so often without being caught out.

[/quote]

"no credit" then! Sure he has his moments but without his goals let alone good defensive qualities THIS year we would not be where we are...and you wuldn''t be celebrating 3 points either Smudger

again this is our worry he is our best defender... since his arrival we have not had a defender stay who has been a better performer

it is a worry that I questioned a few weeks ago... I still think we could pick up a good centre back to replace him if he wants big money

However if we offer a one or two year contract with appropriate wages and the doc uptakes it, then maybe he can still perform... he will make mistakes in the league above can we live by them?

Its a tough one, you don''t want to rock the ship too much... but it all depends on who is available and what we offer... doc is replacable but only for a worthy improving centre half

[quote user="sonyc"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

"no credit" then! Sure he has his moments but without his goals let alone good defensive qualities THIS year we would not be where we are...and you wuldn''t be celebrating 3 points either Smudger

[/quote]

So he has not been given credit since stepping in to the team then?

I have even sang the "Ginger Pele" chant once or twice this season.  But like I said still not first choice for me if everybody is fully fit in our squad.  I may even keep him if/when we go up, but he would be no more than a bit part player for me at a higher level.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Smudger: try would have could have or should have or even would''ve should''ve or could''ve sorry![/quote]

I always got told to stop useing ''of'' at school and had no idea what  they was on about!!! If only you was my english teacher[:)]

He was a terrible signing to make in terms of preparing for the premier league. Back in the champ he was then a regular in a weak defence which got progressively worse until the team was in the third tier. He deserves credit at this level, but hes yet to prove his worth above that.

When will Nelson get full respect?.....He cleared off the line, what was a certain Seagulls goal, and has put in another solid performance.

He''s no Alan Hansen, but he''s doing well for us.

Nelson''s come on leaps and bounds.....I think he''s as much an integral part of our positive performances as any other member of the squad.

when will everyone realise that people like smudger dont give a damm about what actually happens, they just post stuff they know will get people annoyed just to get a rise.

cast the line get a bite hook a fish

Doherty is primarily a defender, and so should get judged as one. Whilst performing admirably this season, he was found wanting for large portions of last season, preferring to cuddle his opponents more often than not and concede a foul/pen. But confidence is a remarkable thing, and should we finish what we have started and go up, I would hope that he kicks on from there and maintains a similar level of performance. [:)]

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Why not judge Doc on the here and now as we do with everyone else.[/quote]

Because improvements will need to be made when/if we are promoted Sad Old.

I am always looking at our team and others teams to see where they could improve... that is the only way of continual progression instead of standing still and hoping that you have enough. 

We have a long way to go before the club can take the plaudits it deserves.  Let''s not forget that we should be top half of the Championship at the very least and that we will need to make changes on the pitch in order to achieve this.  Many fans believe that we are head and shoulders above the rest in this division where as I do not think the gap is as wide as many woulod have you believe.  We have done extremely well to put ourselves in the position that we are in, but have looked like letting that slip many times over the last month or so.

It will be another difficult match next weekend so let''s not try and get too carried away just yet!

[quote user="Gibbo"]I was under the impression most people were impressed with him this season, since being left out by Lambert...[/quote]Yeh Doc has finally became worth having around.But lets be realists.... up until Lambo dropped him he was a joke

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Continual progression? I''m glad I have helped you with your grammar today, young man.[/quote]

Isn''t that what I put???? [:^)]

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Why not judge Doc on the here and now as we do with everyone else.[/quote]

I am always looking at our team and others teams to see where they could improve... that is the only way of continual progression instead of standing still and hoping that you have enough. 

We have a long way to go before the club can take the plaudits it deserves.  Let''s not forget that we should be top half of the Championship at the very least and that we will need to make changes on the pitch in order to achieve this.  Many fans believe that we are head and shoulders above the rest in this division where as I do not think the gap is as wide as many woulod have you believe.  We have done extremely well to put ourselves in the position that we are in, but have looked like letting that slip many times over the last month or so.

It will be another difficult match next weekend so let''s not try and get too carried away just yet!

[/quote]

I actually agree that you do always have to keep looking to improve. Whether that''s by bringing in new players or getting better out of what you''ve got.

But, at the same time, you clearly need consistency. Players like to know where they stand and they need the same group to play together regularly so that they form an understanding. Which is what we''ve got under Paul Lambert.

[quote user="sonyc"]Great result today and who comes up with the winner? Our much maligned centre half and one who has served us in green and yellow for second longest (behind Drury). Reminds me of Malky and his goals when we went up in 2004. We missed him after. Doc you are becoming a legend in 2010[/quote]I wont be happy until he scores a hattirck  against leeds.

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"][quote user="sonyc"]Great result today and who comes up with the winner? Our much maligned centre half and one who has served us in green and yellow for second longest (behind Drury). Reminds me of Malky and his goals when we went up in 2004. We missed him after. Doc you are becoming a legend in 2010[/quote]
I wont be happy until he scores a hattirck  against leeds.
[/quote]

lol... go Ginger Pele! [:D]

I won''t be happy with Gary Doherty until he stops the Iranians from enriching plutonium, solves the European debt crisis and impregnates Sarah Palin to prevent that she-harpy from getting into the White House.  If he does all that I''ll like him until the next time we concede a goal.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

I actually agree that you do always have to keep looking to improve. Whether that''s by bringing in new players or getting better out of what you''ve got.

But, at the same time, you clearly need consistency. Players like to know where they stand and they need the same group to play together regularly so that they form an understanding. Which is what we''ve got under Paul Lambert.

[/quote]

I agree with this, it is too easy to have a "stick with what we`ve got" attitude because we are doing very well in this League. Our aim should not just be to get promted, but to go into the Championship with a quality side who are playing well together and winning, and continue that form into next season, going into the Championship with momentum would be such a great adsvantage at the start of next season. We will need to  considerably improve our squad for next year and that process should be  underway by bringing in quality players and spending some money, investing in the future.We are in a League where there are probably half a  dozen decent teams  and the rest are dross, to  be frank beating most of them is no great shakes, players that couldnt do it in the Championship but now all of a sudden are hero`s in my opinion will be exposed again next seaon. Lambert is a  great manager but he cant turn water into wine. I am delighted with this seaon and enjoying it as much as any of  you, but we should be using our success  to  develop a stronger squad  and  taking a bit of a risk that should hopefully pay off next season.

The toughest decision might be where to play Hoolahan because I don''t see the diamond working in the league above. We would need much more quality all round to do so.

I never fail to be amazed by some of the comments on here re Doc. I suppose when all else fails we should blame him for not being any good in the Premier/Championship. It would be useful to remember one or two relevant points. Firstly we are in the third division; surely we should judge our players on that basis? Secondly, in the past we''ve had a dodgy keeper and a midfield that doesn''t help the back row. Now we''ve got a decent keeper and a holding midfielder in Russell who gives the back row the support they need. All this gives the whole of the back row confidence in themselves and each other. The sad part about all this is that some "supporters" cannot/will not recognise this; they would prefer to castigate Doc at every opportunity for what he does/doesn''t do/could do/should do. It really does seem that the Doc is only one poor game away from a mauling from these supporters. Very sad.

Tony.

For me Doherty is like Jaidi...Brute of a player, wins his headers, scores the odd goals, but lacks pace and at the end of the day every away fan secretly likes to see their name in the lineup because you just know they''re gonna be either exposed by pace or make a clumsy error...This said, Doherty has scored some crucial goals for us and like Nelson are playing at their level, both have played some great games for us this season but neither will be good enough should we go up next year because of the pace and also the less errors you can make (lets be honest this league is shocking in terms of quality, you can let a team have 4 or 5 decent chances before they score)..In conclusion the doc has scored crucial goals, a good defender at this level, more then earned his wage packet this year but next year (should we go up) I''m afraid will not be good enough along with nelson...but they''ve earned us points this year so wanted to end on a good note.