Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

What's Boundary Park Like?

I''m going to the Oldham game next weekend and before I buy my ticket I''m wondering whether to also get tickets for my 6 year old girls.Does anyone have any information on what Boundary Park is like for Away fans - is the stand covered, etc?  Don''t wanna get them tickets and have them stood for two hours in the p*ssing rain, basically!Any info would be appreciated, cheers!

Ground Name: Boundary Park  
Capacity: 10,638 (all seated)
Address: Boundary Park, Oldham, OL1 2PA
Main Telephone No: 0871 226 2235
Fax No: 0871 226 1715
Ticket Office: 0871 226 1653

Pitch Size: 106 x 72 yards
Team Nickname: The Latics
Year Ground Opened: 1906
Home Kit Colours: Blue With White Trim
Away Kit Colours: Navy & Orange
3rd Kit Colours: Lime Green & Black
Kit Sponsors: Carbrini Sportswear
Kit Manufacturers: Carbrini

Official Web Sites: www.oldhamathletic.co.uk
Official Fans Forum
Unofficial Web Sites:
Latics Supporters Club Canada
Oldham Athletic E-Zine (Message Board)

Map

Contents
What''s The Ground Like?
Future Developments
Looking Towards The Chadderton Road Stand (photo)
What Is It Like For Visiting Supporters?
Rochdale Road Stand (photo)
Where To Drink?
Main Stand (photo)
How To Get There By Car & Where To Park
By Train
Admission Prices

Programme Price

Ground Layout

Local Rivals

Disabled Facilities
Fixtures 2009-2010
Record & Average Attendance

Fans Ground Reviews
Hotel Accommodation
Feedback

Return To The Main Menu

What''s The Ground Like?
The ground at the moment is comprised of just three sides, as the Club demolished the Broadway Stand on one side of the stadium. This was in preparation for the building of a new 5,200 capacity Main Stand. However, this plan has now been shelved for the time being and the Club are now exploring the possibility of moving to a new stadium. 

At one end is the comparatively new Rochdale Road End, a good sized all seater covered stand with an excellent view of the pitch. It has windshields to either side of it and an electric scoreboard on its roof. Part of this stand is given to away supporters. The other end, the Chadderton Road Stand (also known as the ''Chaddy End''), is a medium sized all seater covered stand. Again there are windshields to either side, but the elderly nature of this stand is apparent from the supporting pillars running across the front of it. On one side there is an old two tiered Main Stand. This used to have terracing in front, since filled with seating. There is still some old unused terracing on one side of this stand. Opposite is currently a building site as a new stand is being constructed. The ground also benefits from four large floodlight pylons, leaving the visitor in no doubt that this is a football ground. The Club has a mascot called ''Chaddy The Champion Owl''.

Top Of Page

Future Developments

Terry Doran informs me; ''The Club is proposing to build a new stadium in the Failsworth district of  the Oldham Borough. The proposal is at the pre-Planning stage, but if all goes according to plan, the new stadium could be operational for the 2011/12 season. When the new stadium is operational, Boundary Park will be demolished and sold for residential re-development''.

Top Of Page

Looking Towards The Chadderton Road Stand

Looking Towards The Chadwick End

Please note that since this photo as taken, the Broadway Stand on the right has been demolished.

Top Of Page

What Is It Like For Visiting Supporters?
Away fans are housed in the Rochdale Road Stand at one end of the ground. This stand is split between a larger section on side, which houses 3,000 fans and a smaller section on the other side which houses 1,600 supporters. It is intended with the development of the stadium that this season the stand will be shared between home and away fans. For most games away supporters will be given the smaller section (shown as Away 1 on the ground layout below), whilst for some clubs that have a larger following then the bigger section will be allocated (shown as Away 2 on the ground layout below). The sections are kept separate by a large moat like gap, which certainly makes for a lot of banter. The facilities in this newish stand are fairly good, as are the acoustics. If you get chance, make sure to try a Pukka pie (�1.50). Some fans reckon that this is the best part of a visit to Boundary Park.

This club I found to be particularly friendly. They have an unofficial motto that ''the only club we hate is Man United'', everyone else is very welcome. The only complaint that I had about visiting the ground was that it always seems to be cold, with a biting wind that goes right through you. This is due to Oldham being on the edge of the Pennines.

Top Of Page

Rochdale Road Stand

Rochdale Road Stand

Top Of Page

Where To Drink?
Unfortunately ''The Clayton Arms'' pub that was situated on one corner of the ground, has now closed. However there is a new pub, called the ''Clayton Green'' (no connection), which can be found two hundred yards from the corner of the main stand and the Chaddy End.

Chippy Lees, an exiled Latics fans in Cornwall, recommends the following; "The Old Grey Mare on Rochdale Road is worth a visit. If you walk to the top of Sheepfoot Lane and turn left at the newspaper shop, the pub is about 100 yards down the road on the right. There''s a varied selection of beers available, and again a warm welcome is assured. Further down on the right is The White Hart. If you turn right at the top of Sheepfoot Lane, you''ll eventually come to The Queens. It''s on the corner of a junction. It was frequented by several West Ham fans one night, who found the beer to be so good, and cheap compared to London prices, that they decided to stay there for the rest of the evening. It was just as well, as it was the usual bone chilling night, and they lost! Across the road from there is The Royal, which is a cosy little local, and next door is a larger more modern one, the Brook Tavern".

Bill Harris a visiting Millwall fan adds; ''I went for a drink in the Rifle Range pub on Burnley Road, which is about a ten minute walk away from the ground. I found it to be a very friendly accommodating pub, with a family room, TV screens, good food and local ale. There is also a beer garden outside, which you can take advantage of, when the weather is good.
There is also parking at the back of the pub and is easy to get away after the game onto the A627 which connects to the M62''.

If you are arriving by train, there are other pubs you can visit en route. See below.

Main Stand

Main Stand

Top Of Page

How To Get There By Car & Where To Park
Leave the M62 at Junction 20 and take the A627(M) towards Oldham. Take the second slip road off the A627(M) following the signs for Royton (A663). At the top of the slip road you will find a large roundabout that around it has a McDonalds and a KFC. Turn left at the roundabout onto the A663 towards Royton (beware though of 30mph speed cameras on this stretch). You will be able to see Boundary Park over on your right. Take the next right hand turn into Hilbre Avenue which will take you up to the large Club car park, situated behind the Lookers Stand. The cost of the car park is; cars �3, mini bus �5, coaches �10.

If you want to go straight to the Club main entrance, then at the roundabout take the second exit onto A627 Chadderton Way (signposted Oldham). After around 300 yards take the first left into Boundary Park Road and at the end of the road turn right into Sheepfoot Lane.

For a map showing the location of the ground click here
(to take you to the Street Map website).

To go to a simplified page, containing the directions and pub info, which you can print out click here.

Top Of Page

By Train

Due to improvement works to the line from Manchester, the two closest stations to the ground, Oldham Mumps and Oldham Werneth are both currently closed. This leaves only Oldham Mill Hills station, but this is some 45 minutes walk away from the ground, so it is somewhat impractical.

Jon Brierley adds; ''Alternatively, rather than getting a train from Manchester to Oldham, you may find it easier to take a bus from Manchester Piccadilly Bus Station. Services numbers 24, 181 & 182 make the 25 minute trip to Oldham and go past the ground. They operate six buses an hour on Saturday afternoons,  with three an hour on evenings and Sundays. Alternatively, fans from the Yorkshire direction might like to consider taking a train to Rochdale (direct services from York, Leeds, Bradford & Halifax) and then continuing to Boundary Park on bus 409 (every 10 minutes Saturday daytime, journey time 25 minutes). Doing this would allow you to nip into the Rifle Range pub on Burnley Lane, where the beer is both good and cheap''. 

Top Of Page

Admission Prices
Home Fans*:
Pentagon Vauxhall Main Stand (Upper): Adults �20, OAP''s/Under 16''s �11,
Pentagon Vauxhall Main Stand (Lower): Adults �19, OAP''s/Under 16''s �11
Detect All Alarms Chadderton Road Stand: Adults �20, OAP''s/Under 16''s �11 Under 12''s �3,
Leesfield Developments Rochdale Road End: Adults �20, OAP''s/Under 16''s �11, Under 12''s �3.

Away Fans*:
Leesfield Developments Rochdale Road End: Adults �20, OAP''s/Under 16''s �11, Under 12''s �3.

* A discount of �2 is available on these ticket prices, if the ticket is purchased prior to matchday (except Under 12''s in the Chadwick/Rochdale Road Ends).

Top Of Page

Programme Price
Official Programme �3

Top Of Page

Ground Layout

Layout

Top Of Page

Local Rivals
Manchester United, Manchester City & Stockport.

Top Of Page

Disabled Facilities
For details of disabled facilities at the ground please visit the relevant page on the National Association Of Disabled Supporters (NADS) website.

Top Of Page

Fixtures 2009-2010
For the Oldham fixture list click here (to take you to the BBC Sports Website)

Top Of Page

Record & Average Attendance
47,671 v Sheffield Wednesday
FA Cup 5th Round, January 25th, 1930.

Modern All Seated Attendance Record:
13,171 v Manchester City
FA Cup 3rd Round, January 8th, 2005.

Average Attendance:
2008-2009: 5,636 (League One)
2007-2008: 5,326 (League One)
2006-2007: 6,334 (League One)

F***ing cold at this time of the year! (or any other for that matter!)Oldham itself being perched up on the bleak Lancs moors.Not a bad ground as I recall,although definetly a bit shabby. Away end is mostly undercover though you may get wet if you''re sitting at the front of the stand,as is the case in most grounds.There was a decent pub not far from the ground the last time I went there,can''t remember what it was called now though as it was several years ago.(Probably not much interest to you anyway as you are taking the kids!)

Highest football league ground in England so we had better send the boys away for alltitude training.

[quote user="ricardo"]Highest football league ground in England so we had better send the boys away for alltitude training.[/quote]Is it not the Hawthorns?

Pretty sure I''m going. Anyone know if I''ll be able to get ticket and coach ticket on Saturday? Thanks. [Y]

[quote user="ricardo"]Highest football league ground in England so we had better send the boys away for alltitude training.[/quote]Not quite. The Hawthorns holds that distinction.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Ice station Zero in a bronx like suberb of Manchester I remember![/quote]

There''s so much wrong with this statement I hardly know where to begin.

Firstly, it was nicknamed "Ice Station Zebra" by Joe Royle in a reference to the film of the same name.

Second, a Bronx like suberb?!?! I take it you''ve never been to Oldham, or come to think about it to the Bronx either.

Third, Oldham isn''t in Manchester. Manchester is a different place entirely; Oldham is in Lancashire.

In answer to the original question, the Rochdale Road stand is the best stand, but it''s given to away fans as Oldham fans are stubborn buggers who refused to move to the new stand from elsewhere in the ground when it was built. It has a roof and is the best stand at the ground, so it''ll be fine for kids etc.

[quote user="crafty canary"][quote user="ricardo"]Highest football league ground in England so we had better send the boys away for alltitude training.[/quote]Not quite. The Hawthorns holds that distinction. [/quote]Pretty sure it would be some pitch up some mountain somewhere?

[quote user="supercol"]It''s the coldest place in the league[/quote]

God, you soft southern wusses! It''s hardly on the top of Saddleworth Moor! Perhaps I''ve been "oop north" too long but you need to roll yer sleeves up and take a few breaths of bracing Lancs air. At least it should perk the lads up a bit and make them play a bit to stop hypothermia kicking in.

[quote user="Brendan"][quote user="crafty canary"][quote user="ricardo"]Highest football league ground in England so we had better send the boys away for alltitude training.[/quote]Not quite. The Hawthorns holds that distinction. [/quote]Pretty sure it would be some pitch up some mountain somewhere?[/quote]He said "Football League Ground" Read properly

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]I''m going to the Oldham game next weekend and before I buy my ticket I''m wondering whether to also get tickets for my 6 year old girls.

Does anyone have any information on what Boundary Park is like for Away fans - is the stand covered, etc?  Don''t wanna get them tickets and have them stood for two hours in the p*ssing rain, basically!

Any info would be appreciated, cheers!
[/quote]

No, you''re under cover. There''s some distance between home and away fans so it''ll be fine for kids. Car park is big enough (£3 iirc) but takes a while to clear after the match.

I asked a mate who supports Oldham and he seemed to think that they''d be fine, but wrap them up well.

I''ve always enjoyed going to Oldham apart from when we used to have to stand on the open end (never been so cold in my life).  Better nowadays with the undercover stand, good fans and some good pubs nearby from memory. A bit like a more rural Stockport!

[quote user="crafty canary"][quote user="ricardo"]Highest football league ground in England so we had better send the boys away for alltitude training.[/quote]Not quite. The Hawthorns holds that distinction. [/quote]Quite correct, you spotted my deliberate error.Hawthorns 552 ftBoundary Park 526 ftThats according to Midfield Dynamo site.Alos of note is that Fortress CR and Portacabin road are 5th equal as the lowest grounds above sea level at 17 ft.

[quote user="batesout MOT"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]I''m going to the Oldham game next weekend and before I buy my ticket I''m wondering whether to also get tickets for my 6 year old girls.

Does anyone have any information on what Boundary Park is like for Away fans - is the stand covered, etc?  Don''t wanna get them tickets and have them stood for two hours in the p*ssing rain, basically!

Any info would be appreciated, cheers!
[/quote]

No, you''re under cover. There''s some distance between home and away fans so it''ll be fine for kids. Car park is big enough (£3 iirc) but takes a while to clear after the match.

[/quote]

Just wondering, do you know if the car park is behind one of the stands because I have seen it on google maps and it looks like theres a big space for car parking.

Ice station Zero in a bronx like suberb of Manchester I remember!

Firstly, it was nicknamed "Ice Station Zebra" by Joe Royle in a reference to the film of the same name.

Second, a Bronx like suberb?!?! I take it you''ve never been to Oldham, or come to think about it to the Bronx either.

Third, Oldham isn''t in Manchester. Manchester is a different place entirely; Oldham is in Lancashire.

In answer to the original question, the Rochdale Road stand is the best stand, but it''s given to away fans as Oldham fans are stubborn buggers who refused to move to the new stand from elsewhere in the ground when it was built. It has a roof and is the best stand at the ground, so it''ll be fine for kids etc.

Right clever clogs!

When I''ve been to Oldham in the past its always been b*oody freezing!

Yes the termology I used to describe the cold weather in Oldham was slightly off so hang me!

I''ve been all over the United States, coast to coast, north to south taking in many Cities and towns including New York!

The Bronx bit may of been exaggreating it a little but Oldhams certainly not like Norwich or most other towns in Suffolk!

Oldham is indeed a seperate place to Manchester but the urban sprawl of Manchester has spread so much that one who doesn''t go to Manchester or Oldham much would assume Oldham was part of Manchester!

When I say something on here I can my points up with fact and personal experience which I bet many posters on here would struggle to do!

Lets hope we win at the wonderful Boundary Park next Saturday!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Ice station Zero in a bronx like suberb of Manchester I remember!

Right clever clogs!

When I''ve been to Oldham in the past its always been b*oody freezing!

Yes the termology I used to describe the cold weather in Oldham was slightly off so hang me!

I''ve been all over the United States, coast to coast, north to south taking in many Cities and towns including New York!

The Bronx bit may of been exaggreating it a little but Oldhams certainly not like Norwich or most other towns in Suffolk!

Oldham is indeed a seperate place to Manchester but the urban sprawl of Manchester has spread so much that one who doesn''t go to Manchester or Oldham much would assume Oldham was part of Manchester!

When I say something on here I can my points up with fact and personal experience which I bet many posters on here would struggle to do!

Lets hope we win at the wonderful Boundary Park next Saturday![/quote]

Point of fact, but Oldham is actually in the county of Greater Manchester, although it is indeed separate from the city of Manchester itself, in the same way that Stockport, Salford and many others around Manchester are.

It is a bloody dive, though, so I can understand the reference!

And thanks, 7rew... getting my ticket over phone tomorrow, you going to this one?

went to boundary park in the early 90''s there used to be a stainless steel barrier separating the fans.  When they scored they would run up to the barrier and kick it made a hell of a lot of noise.  I went with one of my friends at the time who was an oldham fan. When we scored an oldham fan through a pastie at the norwich fans it hit my mate who was probably the only oldham fan in there!!!! Justice!!

Anybody know how many tickets we have sold for this and how many we have been allocated?Hoping to pick ours up on on tomorrow or Friday.If worst comes to the worst will have to take up a place with the home fans.