Sign in to follow this  
Appletonandy

Recommended books?

Hi all,

It''s my birthday this Friday and friends want to know what to buy me.  I fancy a book on NCFC but preferably one written by a fan on their experiences.  I''ve got "Norfolk n good" by Kevin Baldwin but are there any others out there?  If not, anything else you would recommend?

Cheers.

"All I want for Christmas" by Iwan Roberts is very funny.  Not sure of any fan books other than "Norfolk n Good".  There was one from back in the day about Mike Walker written by a fan, but that might have been the sequel to Baldwin''s book.

Kevin Baldwin wrote 3 books that I know of

Norfolk n Good

The Second Coming

This supporting life

As a  Norwich exile I found the first 2 very hard to locate. Second Coming is a post chase  era book with the return of Mike Walker. A very good read.

I also have the EDP book The  Norwich City Story  which is fantastic

Hope that helps

Does anyone know if Kevin Baldwin posts on here as i would like my books autographed

Real Football, Real Fans - William Barr

Not entirely about NCFC, but written by a Canaries fan who travelled to one home match of each League Two club, writing about the place, its club, and the match itself. A great insight into lower league football and the struggles they face as an indirect result of the money-hungry Premiership franchisees!

[quote user="Largey"]Real Football, Real Fans - William Barr Not entirely about NCFC, but written by a Canaries fan who travelled to one home match of each League Two club, writing about the place, its club, and the match itself. A great insight into lower league football and the struggles they face as an indirect result of the money-hungry Premiership franchisees![/quote]

Cheers Largey, sounds good.

[quote user="Appletonandy"]

[quote user="The Pig Will Eat You"]The Truth of the Lie[/quote]

What''s that?

[/quote]It''s about a Portuguese Police Detective investigating the mysterious disappearance of a three year old girl whilst on holiday.  

[quote user="Essex canary"]

Kevin Baldwin wrote 3 books that I know of

Norfolk n Good

The Second Coming

This supporting life

As a  Norwich exile I found the first 2 very hard to locate. Second Coming is a post chase  era book with the return of Mike Walker. A very good read.

Hope that helps

Does anyone know if Kevin Baldwin posts on here as i would like my books autographed

[/quote]

That''s great, thanks.  Don''t know if KB posts on here but he does write articles on Rick Waghorn''s website, www.norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com

Not NCFC but the author lives here now and has been to Carra a few times - "She Stood There Laughing" and "And She Laughed No More" are about Stoke City FC but have lots of little tidbits that ring true for all football fans.Both written by Steve Foster.

[quote user="Essex canary"]

[/quote]It''s not quite what you said you were looking for, but I would too recommend this book. You might find it of more lasting interest than a fan''s book.On footie books generally, anyone interested in the wider game could try Brian Glanville''s History of the World Cup, or David Goldblatt''s monumental The Ball is Round. Nothing less than the history of the game everywhere. Just the 911 pages...

There was a brilliant football book someone recommended on here a while back:The Miracle of Castel di Sangro, I think.  I second that recommendation, it''s hilarious, sad, touching and makes you care about a tiny Italian Serie C side.

if you''re happy to look a bit further afield than NCFC try The Miracle of Castel di Sangro by Joe McGinnis.

The book follows the story of a team from the Italian village of Castel di Sangro during their first Season in Serie B.

Best book about football I''ve ever read.

A season with Verona by Tim Parks is also very good as is Football Against the Enemy by Simon Cuper.

Happy reading!

[quote user="Mister Chops"]There was a brilliant football book someone recommended on here a while back:The Miracle of Castel di Sangro, I think.  I second that recommendation, it''s hilarious, sad, touching and makes you care about a tiny Italian Serie C side.[/quote]

Beat me to it Mr Chops!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Essex canary"]

[/quote]

It''s not quite what you said you were looking for, but I would too recommend this book. You might find it of more lasting interest than a fan''s book.

[/quote]

Sounds good, is it easy to get hold of?