Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Increased ground capacity...we told you so!

The current City stand holds over 4000 so I''d imagine another tier on top of it including the infills would reap about 5000 seats!

The Jarold stand apparently hasn''t got the foundations for another tier on top of it although it is possible to build another tier with its own foundations - thats what the Sc*m did at both ends of their ground!

If it is the case that a Jarold stand upper tier could be built with its own foundations then I''m sure a capacity much larger than 4000 could be reaped!

I''m also sure it would be possible to put some seats in front of the hotel about the same height and amount as what the bottom tier of the Jarold/river end stand (the aviva community stand) holds which would reap about 600-1000 seats.

I can''t wait for the ground to be increased cause we need it and I''ve said it for years even in the days when we had the "small club" stereotype which so many fans fell for thinking that anything over 25,000 CAP was excessive. 

Though at the moment all such talk is pie in the sky cause ground capacity increases are highly expensive and will only only happen at Carrow Rd in the event of a rich benefactor paying for them or promotion to the premiership when we''d be able to afford to do them!

And yes I agree that a big part of our regular big crowds in recent season is fans buying season tickets to ensure they get in - The limited availability factor so ground increases have to be thought out well and done in stages, not in one big hit. First to be done would probably be the City stand upper tier which would take CAP up to 30500-31,000. If after this increase the ground was still selling out after a few seasons then the upper tier for the Jarold stand could be built.

What I''m most pleased about is the board stating they won''t move the club away from Carrow Road to an out of City location cause I think such a move out of the "heartland" could be detrimental and lead to fans drifting away from the club!

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="birchfest"]I think we could reach the 40,000 mark. For instance if they were to double tier the Jarrold stand (in a very similar style to Elland road) and have the upper tier the same cappacity that alone would be an extra 8,000 seats. That would take us up to 34,000 alone. If the city stand and the corners between the barclay and river end we all given a second tier it could again add potentially 4,000 more seats and probably more room for boxes which could get it up to around 39,000 or so. It would certainly be a long term idea and would require us to be in the premireship for a couple of seasons.[/quote]

I don''t think the Jarrold stand could take another 8000 seat tier on top of it becaause of the weak foundations on the ground or something I read a few years back. Maybe a 400 tier but that''s about it. I still to this day fume over the boards decision to build that poxy hotel in the corner![/quote]

i think youll find it was designed to have extra tier![/quote]This was asked about on the Main Site a few seasons back and Joe Ferrari stated that the foundations were in place to put another tier on the Main Stand but to save money the foundations for the South Stand were built too shallow for a second tier.

[quote user="morty"]Wouldn''t the hotel have something to say about this?

I''m sure guests would rather see a lovely view of our pitch that the back of some temporary stand.
[/quote]

tough.. all the hotel owns is the land it is built on.. if we want to construct a brick wall on OUR land infront of the windows its their hard cheese.. if Hotel guests want to see the game i suggest someone points them in the direction of the ticket office.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="morty"]Wouldn''t the hotel have something to say about this?I''m sure guests would rather see a lovely view of our pitch that the back of some temporary stand.[/quote]

tough.. all the hotel owns is the land it is built on.. if we want to construct a brick wall on OUR land infront of the windows its their hard cheese.. if Hotel guests want to see the game i suggest someone points them in the direction of the ticket office.

[/quote]Yes, I see your point.But I wonder if the hotel actually gets more business from the fact you can watch the game from your room? Seeing as we share in the profits could we be shooting ourselves in the foot.And if we were to submit planning permission for the stand could the other co-owners of the hotel, in theory, object to it?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

I''m sure guests would rather see a lovely view of our pitch that the back of some temporary stand.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, I see your point.

But I wonder if the hotel actually gets more business from the fact you can watch the game from your room? Seeing as we share in the profits could we be shooting ourselves in the foot.

And if we were to submit planning permission for the stand could the other co-owners of the hotel, in theory, object to it?
[/quote]

the hotel doesnt get Any business.. well not much at all i think... also, i think the windows are blacked out during games, its to do with the old alcohol in view of the pitch laws.. notice how in these darker winter days you never see any lights o in the rooms when the games are in progress?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="morty"]Wouldn''t the hotel have something to say about this?I''m sure guests would rather see a lovely view of our pitch that the back of some temporary stand.[/quote]

[/quote]Yes, I see your point.But I wonder if the hotel actually gets more business from the fact you can watch the game from your room? Seeing as we share in the profits could we be shooting ourselves in the foot.And if we were to submit planning permission for the stand could the other co-owners of the hotel, in theory, object to it?[/quote]

the hotel doesnt get Any business.. well not much at all i think... also, i think the windows are blacked out during games, its to do with the old alcohol in view of the pitch laws.. notice how in these darker winter days you never see any lights o in the rooms when the games are in progress?

[/quote]Oh, I thought the deal was that you just weren''t allowed to drink alcohol in the room during a match. I''ll have a look at the next game.I thought the hotel was doing okay business tbh.

My understanding, and I could be wrong on this, is that the Jarrold Stand can''t be built on as the foundations aren''t up to it.

I attended a presentation after the stand was built about the securitisation project and it was explained that the long-term intention (bearing in mind this was under the previous regime of Neil Doncaster et al) was to build a second tier on top of the City Stand if and when we become an established member of the Premiership.  The hierarchy back then felt that this would provide all the seating necessary to meet demand.

How opinions have changed since then I can''t comment, but this is my recollection of previous intentions.

I think the 3000 extra seats will be accomodated by placing terraces on the roofs of the current stands. I hear there is a supporter from Manchester United who will provide some advice based on experience?

[quote user="NorwichCasual"]I think the 3000 extra seats will be accomodated by placing terraces on the roofs of the current stands. I hear there is a supporter from Manchester United who will provide some advice based on experience?[/quote]That went over my head to begin with, I bet it will fly right over a fair few others lol.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My original point in the OP was that the suggestion was that temporary seating would be placed possibly in the corner infill near the hotel, remember that the windows facing the pitch only start roughly up way up the building , so I guess a small bank of seating would fit there without obstructing anyones view, but if it can be done now it could surely have been done when the hotel was originally built on a more seamless, permament basis?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

My original point in the OP was that the suggestion was that temporary seating would be placed possibly in the corner infill near the hotel, remember that the windows facing the pitch only start roughly up way up the building , so I guess a small bank of seating would fit there without obstructing anyones view, but if it can be done now it could surely have been done when the hotel was originally built on a more seamless, permament basis?

[/quote]Wasnt access for emergency vehicles one of the clubs reasons for not building a corner infill between the South stand and the Barclay?  Surely putting some temporary seats in that area would block off the aforementioned access points?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, I see your point.

But I wonder if the hotel actually gets more business from the fact you can watch the game from your room? Seeing as we share in the profits could we be shooting ourselves in the foot.

And if we were to submit planning permission for the stand could the other co-owners of the hotel, in theory, object to it?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh, I thought the deal was that you just weren''t allowed to drink alcohol in the room during a match. I''ll have a look at the next game.

I thought the hotel was doing okay business tbh.
[/quote]

Morty

As an exile if I watch a match at Carrow Road I usually stay at the hotel.  The only limitation is that you can what you and a mate / partner want to do in the room on matchday (?) but it can only be you and one other (i.e. the only restriction is no more than two people in a room).  As far as i have seen there are no strange devices blocking out the view or whatever.  I have never actually watched a a match from a room though so cannot deny it.  However as other people have said I think the real issue about that end is that it is the only area where you can get the big plant & machinery into the ground to care for the pitch so building new terracing there is a no no.

The great thing about the hotel though is that after battling up the A11 it is so good just to sling your bags down in the room, get to the bar, order a reet tasty burger and several pints and still stroll to the ground without worrying about the time.  It''s a great base for a night of shenanigans in the City as well!  And if you have connections like mine it only costs £30 each a night for a twin room.  Just wished they had built a proper stand (with access for plant to get to the pitch) in front instead! 

[quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="morty"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]Yes, I see your point.But I wonder if the hotel actually gets more business from the fact you can watch the game from your room? Seeing as we share in the profits could we be shooting ourselves in the foot.And if we were to submit planning permission for the stand could the other co-owners of the hotel, in theory, object to it?[/quote]

[/quote]Oh, I thought the deal was that you just weren''t allowed to drink alcohol in the room during a match. I''ll have a look at the next game.I thought the hotel was doing okay business tbh.[/quote]

Morty

As an exile if I watch a match at Carrow Road I usually stay at the hotel.  The only limitation is that you can what you and a mate / partner want to do in the room on matchday (?) but it can only be you and one other (i.e. the only restriction is no more than two people in a room).  As far as i have seen there are no strange devices blocking out the view or whatever.  I have never actually watched a a match from a room though so cannot deny it.  However as other people have said I think the real issue about that end is that it is the only area where you can get the big plant & machinery into the ground to care for the pitch so building new terracing there is a no no.

The great thing about the hotel though is that after battling up the A11 it is so good just to sling your bags down in the room, get to the bar, order a reet tasty burger and several pints and still stroll to the ground without worrying about the time.  It''s a great base for a night of shenanigans in the City as well!  And if you have connections like mine it only costs £30 each a night for a twin room.  Just wished they had built a proper stand (with access for plant to get to the pitch) in front instead! 

[/quote]Ah right, nice one![Y]

Last year I went up to get ticket from Buy back. None left!

So and friend and I went to hotel, got room for the match - same price as ticket!

great view from 6th floor! shame the atmosphere was not in room - and we lost 2-3!

I touched my girlfriends bosoms in the lift there....

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

[/quote]

Greedy. It''s just not fair when they have to wait their turn.

OTBC

[quote user="bjg123"]
37Ipswich Town (21-D1)1429419427059210143030069.3%
Pretty piss poor...[/quote]I had the dubious pleasure of attending a Championship match at Poormans rd earlier this season as part of a business "jolly". The ground was so empty you could quite clearly see the curvature of the earth.

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

[/quote]

You told us you lot only have vents!

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

[/quote]

You told us you lot only have vents!

[/quote]

We do indeed have "vents" which are good multi-function apertures.....

Once you''ve had one you''d never want to return to an anus I can assure you........

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]

Seems like a good post to join the forum after reading for years.

The link shows why we need more capacity if we can get it.............

http://itv.stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/LGE/attend.html

The anomaly is somebody doesn''t know the figures which makes Cardiff look the best at filling their ground (the average attendance is higher than capacity!!). Infact, wherever you look for stats here, Norwich are top or close to.

http://itv.stats.football365.com/dom/index.html

[/quote]

Wow I had no idea Hull had such a good home following!