Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Increased ground capacity...we told you so!

So, the Norwich board are considering increasing the capacity at Carrow Road by possibly putting seats in the "holiday inn" corner infil.

I''m sure we''re not talking in hindsight here but I distinctly recall at the time of the hotel being built that fans called for the design to incoporate a section of seats in front of the hotel, which fell on deaf ears.

Now instead of a design that included a block of seating which would have neatly blended in with the rest of the stadium , it looks as though there will be some sort of temporary scaffolded seating squeezed into the corner , to go with the already ''eyesore'' hotel.

Wasn''t also the Jarrold Stand built with the capability if having a 2nd tier added? I imagine that this wouldn''t be a cheap option.

Bowkett said: “We do believe we can put another two or three thousand seats in the existing footprint of the ground."

Do you think the space in front of the hotel would really accommodate this many seats in a temporary stand?

Wouldn''t the hotel have something to say about this?I''m sure guests would rather see a lovely view of our pitch that the back of some temporary stand.

I seem to remember that when the Jarrold Stand was still at the planning stage, the board of directors were mulling over a 12,000 seater stand instead of the somewhat smaller 8,000 seat stand which we ended up with. They settled on the smaller design not because of financial issues, but because they didn''t think we could fill the larger capacity stand. An opportunity was missed methinks! 12,000 seats; wouldn''t that have looked impressive??!!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

So, the Norwich board are considering increasing the capacity at Carrow Road by possibly putting seats in the "holiday inn" corner infil.

I''m sure we''re not talking in hindsight here but I distinctly recall at the time of the hotel being built that fans called for the design to incoporate a section of seats in front of the hotel, which fell on deaf ears.

Now instead of a design that included a block of seating which would have neatly blended in with the rest of the stadium , it looks as though there will be some sort of temporary scaffolded seating squeezed into the corner , to go with the already ''eyesore'' hotel.

[/quote]

I dont recall them saying where in the ground the 2,000 - 3,000 seats could be located.

Secondly if the Community Stand only holds about 1500 how on earth would you get 2,000 - 3,000 in a smaller space?

Third dont you think the senior partner in the hotel JV would have something to say about having a number of the bedroom windows, currently facing towards the pitch suddenly having a blocked view!

Dont you think the police wouldn''t be keen on having away fans so close to an extension of the Barclay? They would probably insist on having a block of empty seats.

Another point is we''ve missed out on approximately £80,000 (at £20 a ticket) on every sell-out match with those 4,000 "missing" seats. That''s around 1.5 million pounds in a Premiership season of sell-out games. It wouldn''t have taken too long to pay for the extra building costs of those seats.

Well having read what has been said in the pinkun articles, it appears what they are suggesting and also what would be the cheapest at most practical option would be increasing the City stand. This could put our capacity up to about 30,000 if they include increasing the corners too. I think they would be looking to do this upon our return to the Championship and then in the future if we were able to maintain premire league status for more than one season we would then put a second tier on the Jarrold stand, which would almost certainly increase the capacity to close to 40,000.It is interesting to see from the figures just how much revenue we have made since 04 in ticket sales alone ( 43.4 million) which works out as 7.166 million a season. I think with the added capacity we could be looking to push that up to between 8 and 10 million a year in ticket sales alone!

[quote user="birchfest"]Well having read what has been said in the pinkun articles, it appears what they are suggesting and also what would be the cheapest at most practical option would be increasing the City stand. This could put our capacity up to about 30,000 if they include increasing the corners too. I think they would be looking to do this upon our return to the Championship and then in the future if we were able to maintain premire league status for more than one season we would then put a second tier on the Jarrold stand, which would almost certainly increase the capacity to close to 40,000.It is interesting to see from the figures just how much revenue we have made since 04 in ticket sales alone ( 43.4 million) which works out as 7.166 million a season. I think with the added capacity we could be looking to push that up to between 8 and 10 million a year in ticket sales alone![/quote]

I don''t think our capacity could go over the 35,000 mark even if we built on the City and Jarrold stand, 35,000 is as good as it can get for us, which is more than good enough for a Premiership stadium.

Still not sure where these 2000-3000 extra seats could come from that Mcnally was talking about?

Seems like a good post to join the forum after reading for years.

The link shows why we need more capacity if we can get it.............

http://itv.stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/LGE/attend.html

The anomaly is somebody doesn''t know the figures which makes Cardiff look the best at filling their ground (the average attendance is higher than capacity!!). Infact, wherever you look for stats here, Norwich are top or close to.

http://itv.stats.football365.com/dom/index.html

I think we could reach the 40,000 mark. For instance if they were to double tier the Jarrold stand (in a very similar style to Elland road) and have the upper tier the same cappacity that alone would be an extra 8,000 seats. That would take us up to 34,000 alone. If the city stand and the corners between the barclay and river end we all given a second tier it could again add potentially 4,000 more seats and probably more room for boxes which could get it up to around 39,000 or so. It would certainly be a long term idea and would require us to be in the premireship for a couple of seasons.

[quote user="birchfest"]I think we could reach the 40,000 mark. For instance if they were to double tier the Jarrold stand (in a very similar style to Elland road) and have the upper tier the same cappacity that alone would be an extra 8,000 seats. That would take us up to 34,000 alone. If the city stand and the corners between the barclay and river end we all given a second tier it could again add potentially 4,000 more seats and probably more room for boxes which could get it up to around 39,000 or so. It would certainly be a long term idea and would require us to be in the premireship for a couple of seasons.[/quote]

I don''t think the Jarrold stand could take another 8000 seat tier on top of it becaause of the weak foundations on the ground or something I read a few years back. Maybe a 400 tier but that''s about it. I still to this day fume over the boards decision to build that poxy hotel in the corner!

Hahaha, I keep reading people saying things like this and it appears that many think they will litterally just whack the seats on top where the roof is! Thats not the case they would build the tier by stripping the roof off and building from the back extending the Jarrold stand behind itself in a similar way to how the N & P and Barclay are double tiered... therfore the new higher stand would have its own foundations taking the majority of the weight.Just to make it even clearer it would be like the Leeds stadium, google it and have a look!

I don''t find the pinkun news on this to be very good.It states premiership clubs average capacty but what they should also include is the average attendance at those stadiums. Wigan have a nice reletively new and big stadium and yet they never fill it. They frequently get turn outs of less than15k supporters. What should be said is that more seats could open up other possibilities such as international fixtures. MK Dons for example, have a big capacity but rarely fill it yet the capacity and facilities at the ground have lead to it being chosen as a stadium for internationals. Not to mention if they marketed it properly they could finaly use the stadium for concerts . . . . . . .

[quote user="birchfest"]Hahaha, I keep reading people saying things like this and it appears that many think they will litterally just whack the seats on top where the roof is! Thats not the case they would build the tier by stripping the roof off and building from the back extending the Jarrold stand behind itself in a similar way to how the N & P and Barclay are double tiered... therfore the new higher stand would have its own foundations taking the majority of the weight.Just to make it even clearer it would be like the Leeds stadium, google it and have a look!

[/quote]

Obviously I am aware of how they would extend the Jarrold stand, the problem that arose a few years back after we finished building it was that the ground around it may not be strong enough to support a much bigger extension on the stand, and that''s why we can''just do an "Elland road" or "St James Park".

I can be quite accurate on this one as it was explained to me at a recent ground visit.

The roof on the Jarrold stand is constructed in such a way that to build on top, the roof simply lifts of ( well not that simply obviously ) and an extra teir can be added. The foundations have already been done to hold this when the stand was erected.

As far as the City stand goes because of the old buildings oppisite ( obviously no longer there ) planning permission for an extension was near on impossible. However when it was built the powers that be ( was it Chase ) in their wisdom decided to pay a lot of extra money to have put in certain foundations that can be built on. This of course isnow possible as the buildings oppisite no longer need light cos they aint there, but also technology now means that the stand can be built to come out across the road that is now outside, similar to the stand and planned extensions of Villa Park.

As far as the hotel goes not quite so sure about this as I wasnt listening that well at that point, but I beleive they are effectively charged for 500 seats each home game making it commercially visable

[quote user="K Lo"]Wasn''t also the Jarrold Stand built with the capability if having a 2nd tier added? I imagine that this wouldn''t be a cheap option.[/quote]

i think that we can take the roof off the jarold stand and then add more seats?! i only THINK!

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="birchfest"]Well having read what has been said in the pinkun articles, it appears what they are suggesting and also what would be the cheapest at most practical option would be increasing the City stand. This could put our capacity up to about 30,000 if they include increasing the corners too. I think they would be looking to do this upon our return to the Championship and then in the future if we were able to maintain premire league status for more than one season we would then put a second tier on the Jarrold stand, which would almost certainly increase the capacity to close to 40,000.

It is interesting to see from the figures just how much revenue we have made since 04 in ticket sales alone ( 43.4 million) which works out as 7.166 million a season. I think with the added capacity we could be looking to push that up to between 8 and 10 million a year in ticket sales alone!
[/quote] I don''t think our capacity could go over the 35,000 mark even if we built on the City and Jarrold stand, 35,000 is as good as it can get for us, which is more than good enough for a Premiership stadium. Still not sure where these 2000-3000 extra seats could come from that Mcnally was talking about?[/quote]

A couple of ladders round the back of the Jarrold bring your own deck chair

Will these be reasonably priced "grassroot seats" or simply more expensive luvvie space?.......

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Shortage creates demend; which is why so many of us choose to guarantee our seats whereas clubs with bigger grounds have more casuals.[/quote]

At least someone understands the economics of this.  There is a strong risk that increasing the capacity would reduce attendances overall depending on the team''s performance.  It would be dangerous to increase the ground unless we are in the Premiership.  All those who wanted an infill instead of a hotel should be careful what you wish for.  Godd job Doncaster went for the hotel in my view.

[quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

Will these be reasonably priced "grassroot seats" or simply more expensive luvvie space?.......

[/quote]

Oh i do hope it is more expensive luvvie space which can be filled with retired public sector workers on their scandalous pensions hey Cluck.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Cluck the Purist...."]

[/quote]

Oh i do hope it is more expensive luvvie space which can be filled with retired public sector workers on their scandalous pensions hey Cluck.

[/quote]

Go wash your mouth out!.........

Hang on.....Isn''t that your phone ringing?.... or don''t you get the £100 for answering it these days?

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="birchfest"]Hahaha, I keep reading people saying things like this and it appears that many think they will litterally just whack the seats on top where the roof is! Thats not the case they would build the tier by stripping the roof off and building from the back extending the Jarrold stand behind itself in a similar way to how the N & P and Barclay are double tiered... therfore the new higher stand would have its own foundations taking the majority of the weight.Just to make it even clearer it would be like the Leeds stadium, google it and have a look!

[/quote]

Obviously I am aware of how they would extend the Jarrold stand, the problem that arose a few years back after we finished building it was that the ground around it may not be strong enough to support a much bigger extension on the stand, and that''s why we can''just do an "Elland road" or "St James Park".[/quote]I dont know how true it is, but certainly two questions that could be raised are, if the ground isnt stable why is there already a huge stand able to be built on it (and why did they claim it could be extended) and also if thats true why are they able to build those huge blocks of flats in the land behind it? Oh well as long as the  football is good I cant say im massively fussed!

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="birchfest"]I think we could reach the 40,000 mark. For instance if they were to double tier the Jarrold stand (in a very similar style to Elland road) and have the upper tier the same cappacity that alone would be an extra 8,000 seats. That would take us up to 34,000 alone. If the city stand and the corners between the barclay and river end we all given a second tier it could again add potentially 4,000 more seats and probably more room for boxes which could get it up to around 39,000 or so. It would certainly be a long term idea and would require us to be in the premireship for a couple of seasons.[/quote]

I don''t think the Jarrold stand could take another 8000 seat tier on top of it becaause of the weak foundations on the ground or something I read a few years back. Maybe a 400 tier but that''s about it. I still to this day fume over the boards decision to build that poxy hotel in the corner![/quote]

i think youll find it was designed to have extra tier!