Sign in to follow this  
cityislife

Mcnamee for hoolahan

i was there on sat and thought hoolahan was completly man-ned out of the game, mcnamee did more for the 15 mins he was on, than the 65 or w.e hoolahan was on, really think lambert should swap the two for the next game. Will also show that hoolahan hant got it easy this season.

I think the whole team has been a bit laboured since Holt has been unavailable to be honest. Hoolahan has not been the only one. However it has been a feature of the last couple of games that teams are finally getting someone to shadow Hoolahan. If this tactic continues to work after Holty comes back I would agree that we might need to freshen things up.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Hoolahan will benefit from having Holt back in the team because Holts drifting around out of position will allow him extra space and time![/quote]

Exactly, Holt being on the pitch means teams wern''t able to solely focus on trying to mark Wes, with Holt out and not pulling defenders about it was always going to be harder for Hoolahan.

Deffo not at this point, Wes has had two poor games in a row but this doesn''t instantly make Mcnamee a better option who has shown good flashes. As others have said lets wait till Holt gets back up front and see how Wes plays.

So let''s get this straight - everybody on this thread believes the diamond is faltering because the centre-forward''s been absent?Stick to your Xboxes guys. [:P]

[quote user="Shyster"]So let''s get this straight - everybody on this thread believes the diamond is faltering because the centre-forward''s been absent?

Stick to your Xboxes guys. [:P]
[/quote] makes sense to me!

[quote user="Shyster"]So let''s get this straight - everybody on this thread believes the diamond is faltering because the centre-forward''s been absent?Stick to your Xboxes guys. [:P][/quote]Way to be arrogant and wrong at the same time. When playing a narrow formation in midfield like the diamond, there are going to be occasions where there is very little width and the best ball on offer will be to hit the centre forward and then let the midfield join the play if the centre forward can hold the ball up. Who is the best at holding the ball up front at the club, Grant Holt of course. We haven''t had that escape ball in recent games and have suffered. If you think that football is played by completely separating the forward, midfielders and defenders, taking them all in isolation. I doubt you will be able to turn on the x-box.

If its taken 30 games into the season for teams to realise that Hoolahan can be marked out of a game, none have managed particularly well. He works best behind the strength and movement of Holt and with that comes added space for Martin. The last three matches were always going to be tough.

McNamee is only an option in a 4-4-2 or as an impact sub - the formula has worked this farm and is resilient enough. Maybe Korey Smith is running out of legs and can be switched for Hughes, and Drury is a big miss. Rose is yet to convince despite a good debut. Our attacking ability has diverted pressure away from a defence that needs all the help it can get.

Expect normal service to resume with the return of Holt. CodyMac, OJ and McNamee to stand by.

We''ve barely seen McNamee, so how can anyone assess him yet?

He was quiet playing against us for Swindon - Lambert however thinks he''s quality and a different option.

Playing 4-1-2-1-2 we could accomodate both McNamee and Hoolahan (McNamee in for Lappin wide left) - I''d welcome 60 mins of that as a trial!

[quote user="Shyster"]So let''s get this straight - everybody on this thread believes the diamond is faltering because the centre-forward''s been absent?Stick to your Xboxes guys. [:P][/quote]As I''ve stated before, Holt''s worrying of defenders and constant pulling them out of position really allows Hoolahan to flourish. Without someone like Holt up there, our midfield can get bullied.Is that really hard to grasp?

I would always start with Hoolahan, but if he is not getting a look in due to being marked out of the game I would like to see Mcnamee come on earlier maybe even at half time... though not for Wes, having two players on who could be a threat would be better even when wes is being man marked he is taking a defender out of the game. I think things should get better now Holt is back with him giving Wes protection and being able to feed him with knock downs from the long balls.

Mc Namee looked decent, my only complaint would be that we didn''t use him enough out wide, there was a number of occasions when he was in space and looked inside or put it across to the other flank. I think as soon as Holt returns Hoolahan will flourish again and brighton is the perfect game for us to bounce back. Incidently the only change I would make would be to bring in Whitbread for Nelson, he looked superb, a very cultured championship quality centre back.

I''d never advocate McNamee for Hoolahan ,however IMO Lambert does need to come up with a way of fielding the pair of them at the same time as a plan B, when McNamee comes off the bench because at the moment we don''t appear to have this, as has been seen a couple of times including yesterday when Lambert does try this the hole side becomes lop-sided with Hoolahan continuing in the centre,McNamee down the left and nodoby playing on the right. "Plan B" needs a little more thought.