Sign in to follow this  
The Chirp

Alex Notman Testimonial

Hi, Seeing as you guys have been excellent help before I thought I might try you again... Can anyone give me info about this game? Score? Who played, Were you there? etc? Trying to get some background info but can''t find any details on the net. Thanks in advance, James.

I was there. It was the Norwich City team at the time against an All Star team that included Tim Howard, Denis Irwin, Jon Newsome, Louis Saha, Eadie, Cureton and Adrian Forbes I think...

Fairly sure Hucks had a stint in goal for us too.

I was there.  It was the day after the horror show at Craven Cottage.  The turnout wasn''t bad considering (about 6,000 I believe).  Naturally we were still  pretty stunned, and even though it was a testimonial Damian Francis got booed for his complete no-show, but otherwise the atmosphere wasn''t bad.  Can''t remember much about the game tbh, but was glad I went just so that Fulham was no longer the last game I''d watched, didn''t want it festering away all summer.

Here we are...

Norwich City 4, Alex Notman''s All Stars 8

Norwich City continued to concede goals at regular intervals last night but this time there was absolutely no cause for complaint as Alex Notman''s benefit match produced a hugely enjoyable spectacle for a 6000 plus crowd.

The Canaries got a swift opportunity to get Sunday''s 6-0 drubbing out of their systems as they took on an All Star team featuring a whole host of familiar names and they seemed to enjoy the occasion even though they must still have been feeling the pain of relegation.

With everyone determined to have a good time whilst ensuring that it was a memorable night both for Notman and the fans it was action all the way with players on both sides doing their utmost to get into the spirit of the occasion.

Craig Fleming set the tone for the evening when he moved up front midway through the first half to show off his skills and Robert Green followed suit shortly afterwards when he joined the club captain on attack with Darren Huckerby taking over in goal.

Green saw a fine first time shot blocked by Tim Howard one of four Manchester United stars who turned out to support the man who had learned his trade at Old Trafford and then sent over an excellent cross at Mathias Svensson who headed just over.

At the other end Huckerby was playing rush goalies and was beaten from the halfway line by United youngsters Guisseppe Rossi during one of his regular sorties. It was that kind of night.

Notman, who was forced to retire because of a serious ankle injury, got a tremendous round of applause when he entered the fray on 73 minutes and it didn''t take him long to make his mark as he converted from the penalty spot to mark his farewell to the game with a goal.

His All Star team had taken a firm grip on proceedings in the opening period with Chris Eagles, Louis Saha and City''s former record signing Jon Newsome all hitting the target before Rossi''s spectacular effort.

Dean Ashton scored City''s goal as the first half ended with Notman''s men 4-1 to the good.

There was a completely new City side after the break and it wasn''t long before they had slipped further behind with old favourites Adrian Forbes and Iwan Roberts both hitting the back of the net.

Paul McVeigh (2) and Gary Doherty ensured that the scoreline didn''t get too one-sided while Fleck marked his return to Carrow Road with a goal at the other end.

It would have been nice had the game coincided with a massive party to celebrate the retention of Norwich''s Premiership status. Sadly that was not to be but given the circumstances this was still a night to remember for the former City star who can now look forward to the rest of his life with a decent cheque to help him along the way.

Norwich City: Green, Edworthy, Drury, Francis, Fleming, Shackell, Huckerby, Svensson, McKenzie, Ashton, Bentley.
Subs: Gallacher, Rossi Jarvis, Halliday, Charlton, Crow, McVeigh, Holt, Doherty, Ryan Jarvis, Henderson, Stuart, Fisk, Cave Brown, Eagle.

Notman''s All Stars: Howard, Kenton, Irwin, Cureton, Newsome, Watson, Forbes, Eagles, Saha, Rossi, Eadie.
Subs: Lewis, Notman, Gordon, Iwan Roberts, Polston, Fleck, Sutch, Spearing, Anselin, Milligan.

Referee: K E Wright

Attendance: 6650

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]

I was there. It was the Norwich City team at the time against an All Star team that included Tim Howard, Denis Irwin, Jon Newsome, Louis Saha, Eadie, Cureton and Adrian Forbes I think...

Fairly sure Hucks had a stint in goal for us too.

[/quote]

he did, i seem to remember him getting tackled on the half way line and chipped for a goal!

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]

Here we are...

Norwich City 4, Alex Notman''s All Stars 8

Norwich City continued to concede goals at regular intervals last night but this time there was absolutely no cause for complaint as Alex Notman''s benefit match produced a hugely enjoyable spectacle for a 6000 plus crowd.The Canaries got a swift opportunity to get Sunday''s 6-0 drubbing out of their systems as they took on an All Star team featuring a whole host of familiar names and they seemed to enjoy the occasion even though they must still have been feeling the pain of relegation. With everyone determined to have a good time whilst ensuring that it was a memorable night both for Notman and the fans it was action all the way with players on both sides doing their utmost to get into the spirit of the occasion. Craig Fleming set the tone for the evening when he moved up front midway through the first half to show off his skills and Robert Green followed suit shortly afterwards when he joined the club captain on attack with Darren Huckerby taking over in goal.Green saw a fine first time shot blocked by Tim Howard one of four Manchester United stars who turned out to support the man who had learned his trade at Old Trafford and then sent over an excellent cross at Mathias Svensson who headed just over.At the other end Huckerby was playing rush goalies and was beaten from the halfway line by United youngsters Guisseppe Rossi during one of his regular sorties. It was that kind of night.Notman, who was forced to retire because of a serious ankle injury, got a tremendous round of applause when he entered the fray on 73 minutes and it didn''t take him long to make his mark as he converted from the penalty spot to mark his farewell to the game with a goal.His All Star team had taken a firm grip on proceedings in the opening period with Chris Eagles, Louis Saha and City''s former record signing Jon Newsome all hitting the target before Rossi''s spectacular effort.Dean Ashton scored City''s goal as the first half ended with Notman''s men 4-1 to the good.There was a completely new City side after the break and it wasn''t long before they had slipped further behind with old favourites Adrian Forbes and Iwan Roberts both hitting the back of the net.Paul McVeigh (2) and Gary Doherty ensured that the scoreline didn''t get too one-sided while Fleck marked his return to Carrow Road with a goal at the other end.It would have been nice had the game coincided with a massive party to celebrate the retention of Norwich''s Premiership status. Sadly that was not to be but given the circumstances this was still a night to remember for the former City star who can now look forward to the rest of his life with a decent cheque to help him along the way.Norwich City: Green, Edworthy, Drury, Francis, Fleming, Shackell, Huckerby, Svensson, McKenzie, Ashton, Bentley. Subs: Gallacher, Rossi Jarvis, Halliday, Charlton, Crow, McVeigh, Holt, Doherty, Ryan Jarvis, Henderson, Stuart, Fisk, Cave Brown, Eagle. Notman''s All Stars: Howard, Kenton, Irwin, Cureton, Newsome, Watson, Forbes, Eagles, Saha, Rossi, Eadie. Subs: Lewis, Notman, Gordon, Iwan Roberts, Polston, Fleck, Sutch, Spearing, Anselin, Milligan.Referee: K E Wright Attendance: 6650

[/quote]Great stuff, thanks for all your help guys. As always, it''s greatly appreciated.J