Sign in to follow this  
Largey

Lee Croft

David Bell was a far better player IMO. Maybe not as exciting but had a much better delivery. A poor mans Beckham in some ways.

[quote user="Lambo"]David Bell was a far better player IMO. Maybe not as exciting but had a much better delivery. A poor mans Beckham in some ways.[/quote]

Bell would have been a good signing. But Roeder forced him to play with an ankle injury. Great man management from the rodent again......

[quote user="smooth"]I saw him last night in the city and god did he look lonely

I was at the game at millwall and did I miss him no... did I like him as a norwich player, thought he was totally overrated... never played a full 90 minutes and as many have said has now been found out at lowly derby

he will be lucky to get another contract at a club... his last big pay check was derby

does not compare to the wingers this club has had and glad he went[/quote]

He was out with a couple of mates when I saw him.

He must be well out of the picture at Derby though - given he was in Norwich around 9pm. I suppose you could travel from the game to Norwich in that time, but I doubt he did.

I dont think he was as bad as people are making out - maybe he was just made to look good in a really poor side though.

I didn''t vote for him either and I don''t think he''d get into our team now.

[quote user="GJP"]

I didn''t vote him player of the season but I''d definitely have him back.

[/quote]...the only one on the thread to definitely want him back...................................pair this with your Doc idolatry and it''s fairly obvious for all to see that you may not be well suited for any scouting roles in the future.

Croft was a silly boy leaving us in the circumstances that he did. He would not be welcome back and wingers do not really fit into our system. He cannot get into a very poor Derby side and i expect him to drift down the divisions now in his career

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

...the only one on the thread to definitely want him back...................................pair this with your Doc idolatry and it''s fairly obvious for all to see that you may not be well suited for any scouting roles in the future.

[/quote]

I''ve voiced my opinions on what makes Lee Croft a good player in the past but, to be honest, when it comes to things like this if people have made their minds up they don''t rate a player for very little reason or if they just don''t really understand football very well there''s not much point in having such a conversation.

So, I don''t think I''ll be discussing it any further with you because, let''s face it, it''ll be wasted on you.

Yes. The thousands of people who voted Croft (and Doc, to that poster above) Player of the Season know nothing about the sport, and its the back seat managers on here who are the real experts.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]...the only one on the thread to definitely want him back...................................pair this with your Doc idolatry and it''s fairly obvious for all to see that you may not be well suited for any scouting roles in the future.[/quote]

I''ve voiced my opinions on what makes Lee Croft a good player in the past but, to be honest, when it comes to things like this if people have made their minds up they don''t rate a player for very little reason or if they just don''t really understand football very well there''s not much point in having such a conversation.

So, I don''t think I''ll be discussing it any further with you because, let''s face it, it''ll be wasted on you.

[/quote]...you may have voiced your opinions on the subject and I''m sure it made you feel really smug. Problem is that your musings have no basis in reality - Croft is no good. He can''t cross - simple as that. He stood out a little as his effort level was slightly higher than anyone elses. He has been appalling at Derby.It''s got nothing to do with making minds up or anything like that. When are people going to realise that player of the year award doesn''t neccesarily go to the ''best'' player that year. In fact it tends to go to the players on their way out, or that the club want rid of.CROFT + CROSSING = Doing his jobCROFT + RUNNING AROUND WITH NO END PRODUCT AND NOT CROSSING = Rated by GJP (but not by anyone else including Nigel Clough, every Derby and Man City fan and er GJP)......as you say all of this will be wasted on me so I wouldn''t expect you to get back to me.

[quote user="Allez17"]Yes. The thousands of people who voted Croft (and Doc, to that poster above) Player of the Season know nothing about the sport, and its the back seat managers on here who are the real experts. [/quote]How do you know how many people voted? Do you know how the votes are counted? Do you actually know that they are counted at all? Do you believe everything that is fed to you?

Sorry for being a ''back seat '' manager - I missed your tenure as England manager. I used to work for the Club - you didn''t.

Croft followed the money and showed no loyalty to the club when we needed him. Although I enjoyed watching him play, I have not missed him this season, and there is no way that he should ever play for Norwich again.  We need players that bleed yellow and green, not fairweather journeymen. [:@]  

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="Allez17"]Yes. The thousands of people who voted Croft (and Doc, to that poster above) Player of the Season know nothing about the sport, and its the back seat managers on here who are the real experts. [/quote]How do you know how many people voted? Do you know how the votes are counted? Do you actually know that they are counted at all? Do you believe everything that is fed to you?

Sorry for being a ''back seat '' manager - I missed your tenure as England manager. I used to work for the Club - you didn''t. [/quote]Ah, you worked for the club, and thus know the ins and outs of how the POS award is managed? The fact that you said "In fact it tends to go to the players on their way out, or that the club want rid of" tells me all I need to know. Recent winners:Gary HoltAdam DruryCraig FlemingDarren HuckerbyGary DohertyDarren HuckerbyDion DublinLee CroftOf the last 8 recipients, the only 2 "on their way out" were Dublin and Croft. As for who the club wanted rid of, well, you seem to be the man in the know - why don''t you inform us? Did they want rid of Gary Holt? What about Craig Fleming, after his brilliant promotion year? Darren Huckerby? We could go further back, and include Iwan, or even Matt Jackson in 1998....So the club rig the annual vote, a tradition amongst fans and honoured in the name of one of our greatest ever players (if not the greatest), to further their own gains, and use it to bestow an honour on a player they hope will leave. Oh yes. You worked for the club. Silly  me.

I liked Crofty - he was real trier. He always gave his all for every manager he played for, he ran hard and scored a few goals for us as well. His final delivery wasn’t always the best, and although he scored once in a while he had some real shockers in front of goal This miss from a yard and a half at QPR in the game that Martin Hunter took charge of and another when we lost 0-1 at home to Wolves spring to mind. I’m sure there are more.

To his credit, that goal against Ipswich was one of my favourite few moments of last season.

As regards his crossing, I recall the one of the first games that David Bell played in, (it might have been Doncaster), City were attacking the River End in the second half when Bell had a yard of space in the right wing corner, yet he managed to wrap his foot round the ball and deliver a cross with pace and dip that arrived at head height around the penalty spot. We sit in the upper tier on the City stand side near the front and had a perfect view of it, and I remember thinking at the time that Crofty couldn’t do that!

There’s a guy I see at Northwick Park, my local underground station, who is a big Derby fan and he seemed genuinely pleased that they had signed him; we had a chat about Crofty, and I told him about how I thought he had played for us, and he seemed surprised about what I had to say.

I didn’t vote for him and I’d like to think that the Capital Canaries got it right in giving our player of the season cup to Sammy Clingan who was the best of a very average team.

Good luck to him and I hope he does well at Derby.

I think and said at the time the Croft player of the year award was a CONSPIRACY!!!

This thread proves it clingan was the best player by a country mile.I would go as far to say, he could make it in the prem. As a back up holding midfielder part of a squad.

Lee Crofts contract was about to run out and the club didn''t want to see him go on a free!!

Probably Delia''s idea![;)]

I have a couple of friends who are Derby fans, and they''d let Derby pay us to take him back - they think he is all huff and no delivery (sounds familiar?).  Sorry but we''ve moved on, and by the sounds of it so should Crofty before he is shipped out to somewhere he doesn''t want to go.

[quote user="Allez17"][quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="Allez17"]Yes. The thousands of people who voted Croft (and Doc, to that poster above) Player of the Season know nothing about the sport, and its the back seat managers on here who are the real experts. [/quote]How do you know how many people voted? Do you know how the votes are counted? Do you actually know that they are counted at all? Do you believe everything that is fed to you?

Sorry for being a ''back seat '' manager - I missed your tenure as England manager. I used to work for the Club - you didn''t. [/quote]Ah, you worked for the club, and thus know the ins and outs of how the POS award is managed? The fact that you said "In fact it tends to go to the players on their way out, or that the club want rid of" tells me all I need to know. Recent winners:Gary HoltAdam DruryCraig FlemingDarren HuckerbyGary DohertyDarren HuckerbyDion DublinLee CroftOf the last 8 recipients, the only 2 "on their way out" were Dublin and Croft. As for who the club wanted rid of, well, you seem to be the man in the know - why don''t you inform us? Did they want rid of Gary Holt? What about Craig Fleming, after his brilliant promotion year? Darren Huckerby? We could go further back, and include Iwan, or even Matt Jackson in 1998....So the club rig the annual vote, a tradition amongst fans and honoured in the name of one of our greatest ever players (if not the greatest), to further their own gains, and use it to bestow an honour on a player they hope will leave. Oh yes. You worked for the club. Silly  me.

[/quote]the above list proves it''s not on merit or performance - it''s a sentimental award and often used to boost player CV''s and values..........most of the time.Regardless of what or who you believe...............................you are still very much in the minority regarding Lee Croft.Yes, I did work for the club and for two of the names mentioned above I know exactly what happened and why they got the award....and who said they should.......next you''ll be expressing surprise at ITV phone votes not being counted or that Governments never cover things up.........................naive is too nice a word for you.

I note Derby have just got a loan ''winger'' from Millwall.............................I know Crofty is superb so I''m sure it''s just for cover.

[quote user="Scottlarock"]I note Derby have just got a loan ''winger'' from Millwall.............................I know Crofty is superb so I''m sure it''s just for cover.

[/quote]

croft hasnt been playing! superb on the bench maybe?? i reckon superb on soccer am!

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"]

[quote user="Scottlarock"]I note Derby have just got a loan ''winger'' from Millwall.............................I know Crofty is superb so I''m sure it''s just for cover.

[/quote]

croft hasnt been playing! superb on the bench maybe?? i reckon superb on soccer am!

[/quote]hehe.....wee bit of sarcasm directed at some previous tail chasing Croft groupies.

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="CANARYCHARGE"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

hehe.....wee bit of sarcasm directed at some previous tail chasing Croft groupies.

[/quote]

i wasnt a big fan, although he was a good player! just not over impressed he left a sinking ship!

No I wouldn''t want to see him back here because our squad is fine and McNamee is a better player to be honest.

He is a lot quicker and he can actually cross a ball unlike Croft!

Which particular dullarse manager bought Croft?(I actually can''t remember, not trying to start an E-fight or I told you so rant)

[quote user="morty"]Which particular dullarse manager bought Croft?(I actually can''t remember, not trying to start an E-fight or I told you so rant)[/quote]Worthington.  It was around the time that he went to the media complaining about the lack of money to buy players, maybe he was making a point ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="morty"]Which particular dullarse manager bought Croft?

(I actually can''t remember, not trying to start an E-fight or I told you so rant)
[/quote]

Worthington.  It was around the time that he went to the media complaining about the lack of money to buy players, maybe he was making a point ?
[/quote]

£800,000 was one hell of a point

[quote user="paul moy"]Croft could have had a good season with us in Div 1. He''s a plonker.[/quote]

Well, to be fair, put yourself in his shoes...

Got a chance to stay in the Championship, at a pretty big club, playing for a young, up-and-coming manager...

Or stay at Norwich with  Bryan Gunn and co.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="paul moy"]Croft could have had a good season with us in Div 1. He''s a plonker.[/quote]

Well, to be fair, put yourself in his shoes...

Got a chance to stay in the Championship, at a pretty big club, playing for a young, up-and-coming manager...

Or stay at Norwich with  Bryan Gunn and co.

[/quote]

I''m surprised now that anybody stayed !! [:D]

If all the players had put the effort in that Croft did last year we would have stayed up. Having said that his end product wasn''t always the best. I suspect the reason he won POS was because pretty much anyone can vote. And those canary callers who never see games watch highlights like his screamer against the scum and think what a fantastic player. I guess you could make a great 5 minute DVD of Crofty highlights over the last couple of years.

spoke to a Derby fan the other night and I didnt need to prompt him into giving the following evaluation of him...

"He tries hard, and got some pace... but his crossing is dog sh*t!"

[Y] agreed! Not for me!