Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Memorable Premiership Batterings - are we next?!

Complete the sequence:

Charlton 4 Norwich 0; Charlton 0 Chelsea 4; Chelsea ? Norwich ?

It doesn''t bare thinking about. It made me think of the times when newly promoted or about to be relegated teams have had the misfortune to run in to the best sides in the country in their best form of the season. A certain visit to Old Trafford by the binners back in the mid nineties is the most obvious one of course. Or the time Man Yoo went to the City Ground Nottingham and Ole Solskjaer scored FOUR in twenty minutes after coming on as a sub! What was the score that day, eight?

Arsenal have helped themselves to six a couple of times against Middlesborough as i recall, then there was Portsmouth Leeds last season. And what about poor Swindon. It was fives sixes and sevens every week for them in their one and only season in the prem. Then there''s Blackburn who put 7 past forest in forest''s first season back in the prem? And of course there''s THAT 7-1. I think that and one of the arsenal middlesbroughs are the only example where the battered team in question didn''t go on to be relegated. 

I''m thinking of leaving the country for the day on December 18th. I really fear being added to this list! How does everyone else feel about the visit to Stamford Bridge then?

It''s not looking too good is it? though I can''t help feeling we might do ok down at Chelsea, though not for any logical reasons.

I remember us getting quite a few hidings of that nature down the years and somehow not getting relegated. A hard one to take was a 6-1 down at Ayrsome Park in 1981 (?) and not forgetting some unpleasant defeats at Anfield around 85-87 4-0, 5-0, 6-2, if I remember rightly.
Personally, the hardest ever was the 6-0 at Man City in the cup after they nicked John Bond off us. I''ll never forget the pain and suffering at school on the Monday...

I have been asking myself that very same question for the past few weeks.  The binners record of 9-0 looks an easy target for Chelsea,it makes me tremble at the thought,especially when the likes of Arsenal & Chelsea manage more shots on target in one game than we have all season

Still nevermind whatever the result i will keep my head held high while pouring the pints of John Smiths down ma kneck after the final whistle.

I think Worthy should drop Green for that game coz the last thing in the world we need is our number 1 to lose confidence !

[quote]Complete the sequence: Charlton 4 Norwich 0; Charlton 0 Chelsea 4; Chelsea ? Norwich ? It doesn''t bare thinking about. It made me think of the times when newly promoted or about to be relegated tea...[/quote]

Does that mean it reads Chelsea 4 Norwich 0?

Then after that it would be Norwich 4 Spurs 0! That has to be worth a go in the Prediction league.

DDIM and twosheds:

There is no way greeno is going to let that many goals through... they can have fifty shots on gaol and he wont even break out into a sweat!! Just a walk in the park,

I''m still for us to win 4-0

we ain''t gonna get battered, chelski will get battered!! we''ve got greeno in goal and there ain''t no way he''ll let any goals in. 2-0 to us. OTBC

While I am not quite deranged enough to think we will win I am strangely more confident about getting a result at Chelsea than getting anything from this weekends game against Bolton.No logical reason but just a gut feeling that an upset is on the cards for the 18th...OTBC

Certainly hope so - paid a lot of money for our tickets there! Having been at the 7-1 Blackburn game and the Man City 6-0 FA Cup game referred to earlier, with both those results they were not anticipated at all and even more numbing as a result (although I do remember a great conga at ewood park!). Somehow at Stamford Bridge we will be expecting to get a right going over so even if it does happen it might not seem so bad - or am I just clutching at straws again?!

id swap a battering by Chelsea for 6 points vs Bolton & Spurs.
who did we play the same weekend last year!

i''m goin there expecting a drubbing but obviously hoping for a shock. anything between will be a bonus.

Form is on a precursor to the likelihood of a situation, not the dictator of a situation. If City go there expecting to be rolled over then we could see a hefty contribution to the goals against column but I don''t think Worthers will allow for that. I can see us playing well, giving a good account of Norwich City as a PREMIERSHIP club and perhaps coming away with a near defeat or even a draw. A win is not beyond us however and so lets be a bit opimistic, after all its a game we didn''t expect to win anyway, why not make a good go of trying to get something from it. Also, like Arsenal when we were about to play them, Chelski look imperious but look at Arsenal now, hitting a bad patch of form... Even the biggest clubs have an off day/week/month. 

[quote]It''s not looking too good is it? though I can''t help feeling we might do ok down at Chelsea, though not for any logical reasons. I remember us getting quite a few hidings of that nature down the yea...[/quote]

85-87

Football doesnt work like that. Man City beat Chelsea. We drew at Man City. Therefore we are better than Chelsea. I dont think so.

I''d be tempted to play a reserve side against Chelsea because even with our full-strength side we''ll get caned, so why not rest the regulars - we have nothing to lose.

Dear Worthy Nigelton, are you the same person who says it is silly to put in the youngsters because they are not ready.  I guess you have had a change of heart and now believe that we stand a better chance with a team that includes Shackell, Jarvis, Henderson, and maybe even Crow, because these are the nucleus of our reserve side.

Silver Fox:

Did you not read my post? I said I would REST the regulars against CHELSEA and CHELSEA ONLY because we stand no chance of winning even with our strongest team.

This does not mean I would pick a youngster ahead of a proven player against one of the lesser teams because I don''t believe they give us a better chance of winning. I just think we may as well see this as a chance to rest the regulars, not drop them for a youngster, just rest them in a game where the outcome will be no different whoever we select in the starting XI.

[quote]Silver Fox: Did you not read my post? I said I would REST the regulars against CHELSEA and CHELSEA ONLY because we stand no chance of winning even with our strongest team. This does not mean I woul...[/quote]

Worthy Nigelton.

Maybe I have not read your last post correctly, but are you saying don''t play your BEST players against the BEST teams, but only against the lesser teams?  I hope you have nothing whatsoever to do with running a football side because with logic like that your team would never win a match.  I guess your team talk would be something on the lines of '' don''t worry lads I shall be resting you for the next game against Chelsea because we are not going to win''

Assuming you rest your so called BEST players for the Chelsea game, and bring in the reserves, what are you going to do for the next match if any of those reserve players, especially the youngsters, have a really good game? 

I''m guessing you will do what our manager has done already this season and drop them, and don''t even put them on the bench.  That sort of response must send out a real vote of confidence to those players. 

PS  Is your idea of a proven player one who under performs week in and week out, but is not a youngster?  Just out of curiosity who are these so called lesser teams that you will put your proven players in against?

I agree maybe this is not a positive way of looking at things, but I also think that its MAYBE a sensible approach. Do you honestly believe that even with our best side we have any chance at Stamford Bridge? I most certainly do not.

If the reserve players/youngsters come in and do well then thats a decision for the manager to make whether to drop them for the next game or keep them in, I''m not going to argue over a hypothetical situation because that would get silly.

My idea of a proven player is one who is just that "a PROVEN player" someone who is proven to play well on a consistent basis, hence the word "PROVEN"

My idea of lesser teams is all bar Chelsea and Arsenal away.

I''m not saying that this necessarily the best way forward but its just an idea.