Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jay

Kit questions

I was just wondering if anyone could clarify how our kit manufacturer is decided?

Does the club approach the manufacturers or do prospective suppliers line up and sell their wares to the club, with the club plumping for whatever is cheapest...sorry, the "best deal for the club"?

I was curious as a more "prestigious" kit manufacturer has the obvious benefits of being able to sell more "fashionable" items in the club shop to a trend-savvy public

I should imagine we plump for the cheapest that gives us the most profit.We''re hardly a glamour club, so I doubt Nike and Adidas will be beating our door down with a fantastic deal.

I don''t think it''s a question of glamour, otherwise Plymouth wouldn''t get an Adidas kit! Nike used to sponsor lots of lower league teams as they invested lots in grass roots football.Is Xara an in-house company? I don''t see any other teams have them I don''t think.

If you look though all the Nike and Adidas kits are identical, just the colors changing (obviously). I would rather have Xara (although not a "trendy" company) and have a kit that doesn''t look the same to everyone elses. Having said that, Puma make some really nice stuff and would be a little different from Nike and Adidas.

I guess the club tell the compaines they are looking for a new kit and compaines submit designs and costs (which would be a percentage per unit as well as a fixed price). I''m guessing we signed a deal with Xara for a few years, wonder when this comes up again.

Xara are a small Scottish company, I believe they also provide the kit for a number of pro teams up there too.  The idea of going with Xara was two fold, one the club can get a kit designed for them (all of the lower league clubs wearing Nike, Adidas etc. are just wearing the Man Utd, Chelsea etc. shirt in different colours), and two it was supposed to be a better deal for both the club and the fans.

Xara''s main business is park kits (teamwear), more details here: http://www.xarasoccer.co.uk/.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

If you look though all the Nike and Adidas kits are identical, just the colors changing (obviously). I would rather have Xara (although not a "trendy" company) and have a kit that doesn''t look the same to everyone elses. Having said that, Puma make some really nice stuff and would be a little different from Nike and Adidas.

I guess the club tell the compaines they are looking for a new kit and compaines submit designs and costs (which would be a percentage per unit as well as a fixed price). I''m guessing we signed a deal with Xara for a few years, wonder when this comes up again.

[/quote]Sorry but you put anything made by Nike or Adidas (or probably Puma) next to a Xara product then you will see where the motivation comes from in using them.I have an old Mitre City top and its ten times better quality than the Xara tat!

[quote user="GUcanary"]I don''t think it''s a question of glamour, otherwise Plymouth wouldn''t get an Adidas kit! Nike used to sponsor lots of lower league teams as they invested lots in grass roots football.

Is Xara an in-house company? I don''t see any other teams have them I don''t think.
[/quote]

No Xara is its own company, there was a team in Scotland who used to be sponsored by them at one stage, as were Luton and Northampton and I believe Rushden and Diamonds.

I think the big clubs get NIke and Adidas after them but for the smaller clubs they go after Nike and Adidas to make the kit for them.

I''ve just been on the XARA website and found this kit:

Could that be our kit for next season? Obviously with AVIVA instead of Nationwide

[quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

Could that be our kit for next season? Obviously with AVIVA instead of Nationwide

[/quote]ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no

I hope not - that looks more like a cricket or rugby shirt.

BTW thanks for the info, previous posters. I guess I can just forget about having our kit made by adidas - I just think a long sleeve variant of the home kit is just itching to have three green stripes down the sleeve...wishfull thinking!

[quote user="morty"]I should imagine we plump for the cheapest that gives us the most profit.We''re hardly a glamour club, so I doubt Nike and Adidas will be beating our door down with a fantastic deal.[/quote]Adidas provide peterborough! so there is every chance, what manufacturer would would turn down 40 to 50000 units????

Norwich City own the local franchise for Xara so the club gets kits etc. at a lower price as there is no middle man, it gets a design that no other clubs have, and the club also makes money from the sale of kits etc. to other clubs.

If you are involved in a small club then you could get NCFC to do the kits for you and then the profit would go to NCFC rather than another company.

Be careful about wishing for changes. I know of a Director of another football league club who actually profits from the sale of kits to his own club as he owns the franchise himself rather than his club.

the current replica kit is of a general poor quality though. The AVIVA logo started to disintegrate after one wear& wash, and now looks a mess after half a season. [:(]

[quote user="Norfolk Lutonian "]

[quote user="GUcanary"]I don''t think it''s a question of glamour, otherwise Plymouth wouldn''t get an Adidas kit! Nike used to sponsor lots of lower league teams as they invested lots in grass roots football.Is Xara an in-house company? I don''t see any other teams have them I don''t think.[/quote]

No Xara is its own company, there was a team in Scotland who used to be sponsored by them at one stage, as were Luton and Northampton and I believe Rushden and Diamonds.

I think the big clubs get NIke and Adidas after them but for the smaller clubs they go after Nike and Adidas to make the kit for them.

[/quote]Is that not almost identical to the centenary kit they made for us?

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I like Canterbury kit, like Pompey.[/quote]I like Canterbury too, and it looked like we were going to start stocking their lines until they went bust. They had those nice yellow baselayers in the club shop at one time, I seem to recall.