Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Team Next Season

Providing we go up, what team do you think we will play next season.

Put an X for a new signing.

Forster/X

X, Askou, Whitbread, X

Russell

Smith, McNamee

Hoolahan

Holt, Martin

I agree about fullbacks needing looking at. I''m unconvinced, as yet, by Russell Martin but I think Drury has another good year in the Championship in him. Maybe more, depends how ambitious we get. Midfield wise, you have to see how Smith develops. For all his good points, he is still looking lightweight in a poor division. I think he needs to become a bit more of a physical force to cope with the Championship. I imagine player turnover in the summer may mean a departure from the diamond, but what that says for Wes I don''t know. The front 3 will remain the same, almost undoubtedly, so again its tough to see where Macnamee fits into a narrow system....

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

the doc??

drury?

spillane?

rudd?

[/quote]Can''t see Rudd playing yet but I agree with the other 3. Not hugely taken with Spillane yet but he has a chance to make RB his own, as he was before he got injured. I think he''s more of a prospect there than Russell Martin.

[quote user="Holts Big Toe"]

Providing we go up, what team do you think we will play next season.

Put an X for a new signing.

Forster/X

X, Askou, Whitbread, X

Russell

Smith, McNamee

Hoolahan

Holt, Martin

[/quote]Wouldn''t work. Too lightweight, and needs space on the wing to truly flourish, otherwise he''d undoubtedly be a bit of a non-entity.

korey smith is not lightweight, he is gaining experiance with every game he plays and does not look out of place. IMO he looks like he is one of the stronger players, and is not easily pushed off the ball.!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]korey smith is not lightweight, he is gaining experiance with every game he plays and does not look out of place. IMO he looks like he is one of the stronger players, and is not easily pushed off the ball.![/quote]

I agree [Y]

Korey Smith certainly isn''t lightweight and doesnt pull out of challenges. He is like a terrier and is growing in stature every game. Who''d have thought he would be one of the first names on the teamsheet this time last year?

i would be pleased if we did sign forster on a full time contract . 

LB... dury could cut it at this level depending on staying fit ..... wiggins not sure, have not seen enough of to make judgement.......

CB.. askou i think would cut it if he could up his game ...doherty possible not convinced ...nelson too slow.

RB  we need championship level player

LM we need a quick left winger , lappin average championship player,

MID hoolihan without a doubt , hughes would be a good midfielder ,smith yes ,russel we know he can cut it as long as he does not see too much red mist !adeyemi  getting better

RW  we need cover .mcnamee have not seen enough of,

CF ..holt yes without any doubt ,martin will only get better ,oli johnson i have a good feeling he is going to be a good player .mcdonald sub player .

not sure ....whitbread,rose,

out ..gill,cureton,theo,tudor jones,daley,mcveigh,

I think a common mistake people are making here is that you can instate a decent width to the side, while also playing down through the middle with Hoolahan. Least to say that would lead to an entirely disjointed side, and an indifferent style of play, that in the grand scheme of things would be a very vulnerable team.You can possibly agrue the case for either a 4-5-1, or a 3-5-2 formation, but whether you could convince anyone that you''ll be able to uphold a good amount of play on both/either wings, while still utilising Hoolahan to his full capacity, and also either providing enough actual threat in the oppositions box (a problem with the former), or sustaining a solidness in the defence (a problem with the latter), is very debatable.Just because we can''t do it now (play with Hoolahan + width), does not mean to say we can defy the nature of the game and do it next season.

PS. singing canary, McNamee is a ''left winger''.

Korey Smith is definately, 100%, not a lightweight.  He pushes all players of the ball and win more than his fair share of 50/50 tackles.  He is in my opinion our best midfielder (if you count Hoolahan as an attacking behind the front two man) and I''m definately sure he could make the step up.

Forster we will not be able to afford.
We will need a new right back.  Not a left back, Drury is still one of the best left backs outside the Premiership.
A new centre back to partner Askou, but I think Whitbread could do a job.
In centre midfield, Russel, Smith, Hughes can all do well but would want another just for cover.
Wingers, we have McNamee on the left and Lappin as well, but not sure if they could cut it.  And on the right wing we have no one.
Strikers, Grant Holt, I''m still not sure whether he could cut it in the Championship, Chris Martin if he keeps on improving could do as could Cody at a push, and I don''t think Oli Johnson could make the step up.

In the summer I think we definately need 5, 6 myabe even 7 new, Championship quality signings.  To me we have a very, very good League 1 side, not a Championship one.  If we did not make sufficient changes then we would come straight back down with this team.  The question is though, do we have the money? No, but Tony Fernandes might do!

I''m not sure the manager will look to change much going into the new season.

I think he''ll be keen to reward the players who have been successful for us this season with the opportunity to play next season.

That''s not to say I don''t think he''ll add some players to the squad because I think he will. It''ll need strengthening and he''ll need options incase things don''t go to plan.

But I wouldn''t be at all surprised if the team that finishes this season is the one that starts the new season.

I reckon:

..................................Forster......................................

Spillane...........Askou...............Whitbread...........Drury

.................................Russell.......................................

.............Smith...........................X...............................

.......................Martin...................Holt........................

Thats right. I honestly think that we have ten players there who can cut it in the championship. I reckon with Krul and Harper up at Newcastle they would happily loan us Fraser for another season. I think Lappin (who has been magnificent this season) gets found out in the championship by a lack of athleticism. Nelson and Doherty have found their level and would need replacing. I would be happy with Russell Martin as cover but I think a new left back would be required to cover for Drury.

In midfield Hughes and Tudur Jones may yet have the potential to step up to the plate in the championship. Indeed some Exeter fans felt Gill was good enough too.

Up front I think we would need some cover other Cody and Oli who are still very raw.

[quote user="Yarmyed"]

I reckon:

Thats right. I honestly think that we have ten players there who can cut it in the championship. I reckon with Krul and Harper up at Newcastle they would happily loan us Fraser for another season. I think Lappin (who has been magnificent this season) gets found out in the championship by a lack of athleticism. Nelson and Doherty have found their level and would need replacing. I would be happy with Russell Martin as cover but I think a new left back would be required to cover for Drury.

In midfield Hughes and Tudur Jones may yet have the potential to step up to the plate in the championship. Indeed some Exeter fans felt Gill was good enough too.

Up front I think we would need some cover other Cody and Oli who are still very raw.

[/quote]

ARE YOU ON DRUGS??

where''s our most talented player???

[quote user="Tipster101"][quote user="Yarmyed"]

I reckon:

[/quote]

ARE YOU ON DRUGS??

[/quote]

My bad left Wesley out by mistake!

[quote user="Allez17"]I agree about fullbacks needing looking at. I''m unconvinced, as yet, by Russell Martin but I think Drury has another good year in the Championship in him. Maybe more, depends how ambitious we get.

Midfield wise, you have to see how Smith develops. For all his good points, he is still looking lightweight in a poor division. I think he needs to become a bit more of a physical force to cope with the Championship.

I imagine player turnover in the summer may mean a departure from the diamond, but what that says for Wes I don''t know. The front 3 will remain the same, almost undoubtedly, so again its tough to see where Macnamee fits into a narrow system....
[/quote]

Isn''t that a slight contradiction? A departure from the  Diamond yet retaining the front 3?

I don''t see why people are so convinced that the diamond won''t work in the Championship, is it due to lack of width? Is it too attacking? Not criticising opinion, I just think a debate with realistic reasoning would help.

Whoever thinks Smith wouldn''t make in the Championship for being lighweight clearly doesn''t watch our games very close, over this season he has been superb especially as he is 18. We will see big changes I expect over the squad again in the summer, I''d hope though if Lambert believes there is a chance to buy Forster in a couple of seasons that we get him in on loan again. As i really want a settled back 4 for once.

[quote user="Yarmyed"][quote user="Tipster101"][quote user="Yarmyed"]

I reckon:

[/quote]

ARE YOU ON DRUGS??

[/quote]

My bad left Wesley out by mistake!

[/quote]Granted you made the mistake, though i am a little concerned that you may just be reading my mind? You''ve pretty much conjured all my thoughts, and then assembled them into a coherent body of text....... Eeek! [url=http://www.autostumble.net][img]http://www.gashing.com/smile/scared/scared0010.gif[/img][/url]

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

[quote user="Allez17"]I agree about fullbacks needing looking at. I''m unconvinced, as yet, by Russell Martin but I think Drury has another good year in the Championship in him. Maybe more, depends how ambitious we get. Midfield wise, you have to see how Smith develops. For all his good points, he is still looking lightweight in a poor division. I think he needs to become a bit more of a physical force to cope with the Championship. I imagine player turnover in the summer may mean a departure from the diamond, but what that says for Wes I don''t know. The front 3 will remain the same, almost undoubtedly, so again its tough to see where Macnamee fits into a narrow system....[/quote]

Isn''t that a slight contradiction? A departure from the  Diamond yet retaining the front 3?

I don''t see why people are so convinced that the diamond won''t work in the Championship, is it due to lack of width? Is it too attacking? Not criticising opinion, I just think a debate with realistic reasoning would help.

[/quote]Didn''t Swansea play with a diamond the season they challenged for the play-offs?... And to be honest, i think we may have a better side than they had anyway.

I think this season has pointed at a couple of things in regards to the players.Lappin - should be only considered for left wing duty if you have a pacey right winger to counter act his lack of pace, otherwise possibly play him in centre mid if you are playing a straight 4-4-2.People mention player turn-over changing the team shape. I think that will only happen with the loss of key players. I think if Hoolahan stays we will be looking at the diamond in midfield still in which case why not stick with what is working. We have an abundance of central midfielders and this system suits that.Defence wise I think it will be two from Whitbread, Doherty and Askou. The only doubt in my mind about Drury is fitness - but then what he needs is a good understudy. Whether Rose is here in view to a permanent I don''t know but I actually thought Wiggins looked ok.Goalkeeper is going to be the toughest choice, it may be that we can get Forster on loan again.The biggest concern for me is playing a 4-4-2 with Hoolahan on the wing. He is good but not solid enough defencively to perform all of the duties in that position and he can influence the game better from the middle of the park where he can be more involved.There is always the possibility of playing 3-5-2. But against teams with fast wingers it may leave us a bit exposed.I think next season will be a real test for these players and Lambert. Against some teams our current formation could struggle and it is goint to be a test of Lambert''s ability to out-think the opposition in terms of tactics. In turn that will test the players ability to perform different roles in different set ups, but it is integral to playing at higher levels.

To cut it next year the two types of players we really need are an out and out  left winger and a proper, athletic box to box midfielder, a la Damien Francis (minus the attitude). In my opinion getting these two in will give the squad a lot more balance. While the diamond is working wonders at the moment we still can''t play 4-4-2 if needed and aside from Russell the mid-field is too lightweight for the Championship.

Next season will be an interesting one, firstly I think we will have a rough time with thediamond and have to have a plan b... we have struggled so far this season without grant holt as already discussed

I expect, if we go up, that a reasonable position next year in the table would be lower mid table... I''d be happy with that are after the turmoil and turbulant last few years

But also if we go up then every position can be reviewed and I am sure will be... if we buy anyone in they are likely to be a starter... Goalkeeper is of obvious concern so we''ll have to get someone in... I believe we will buy another centre half and let the doc go unless he signs for 1 year again... we need to build a defensive partnership

midfield diamond, think again we will add players and most importantly we need a tall strong striker

so by adding in all three areas even to be midtable, I expect a starting 11 with at least 3 new players from this season... and a few more on the bench

think the most interesting is who goes

''Granted you made the mistake, though i am a little concerned that you may just be reading my mind? You''ve pretty much conjured all my thoughts, and then assembled them into a coherent body of text....... Eeek!''

Ha, is that a good thing? Or are we just deluding ourselves that we could do a Leicester IF (its not cut and dried remember) we got promoted.

Leicester have shown that it can be done!

If you compare Leicester''s team last night to the one that won at Yeovil in January 2009, 8 players were involved in both matches. I think we''ll follow the same approach in trying to acquire a couple of players that can improve upon the overall quality rather than make wholesale changes.

GK - Forster
DL - Drury
DR - Martin
DC - Whitbread
DC - Doherty
DM - Russel
AM - Hoolahan
CM - Smith
CM - New Signing
S     - Martin
S     - Holt

Subs: McNamee, Askou, Spillane, Rudd, Hughes, Lappin,
New Striker

I''d let Cureton go on a free. Loan out players like Adeyemi, Stephens, Steer, Kelly, Wiggins and Johnson. Move Gill and Nelson (apologies to his fans but I don''t see Championship suiting him) on as realistically they''re probably League One standard and neither are exactly young.

In an ideal world, I''d love to see us snap up Nicky Bailey as the CM from Charlton if we go up and they don''t. They''d probably have financial issues if this was the case, so we could snare him.

As for the striker, someone relatively proven at Championship standard (or very proven at League One standard would be good). Wouldn''t be at all opposed to Billy Sharp, Marcus Tudgay or Shane Long, all of whom I think would be suitable acquisitions.

On top of that I''d also like to see a young striker for the future brought in, possibly either Austin of Swindon or Brodie of York?

Another young CM for the future would be a bonus, and Robert Grant (Accrington) would top my list definitely. Just 19, but a dozen goals for Accrington with a strike rate of 1 in 4 speaks for itself.

Possibly asking too much, but similarly a young winger for the future could come in handy. Someone like Adomah (Barnet) perhaps?

Finally, an experienced player on loan to cover across the back. No idea who that could be right now, as we''ll just have to see who''s available. After that, use whatever we''ve got left to bring in temporary cover wherever it is needed.

We don''t need to break the bank. Just 4 or 5 signings will make a very decent Championship squad in my opinion...

We''re not in the Championship yet guys! Whitbread last season was by far the best defender in the league. In my opinion and I am sure in Lambert''s as well, Whitbread can more than hold his own in the league above. As will the likes of Smith and Martin.

Provided we are in the championship I think the main thing we will be looking at is how good a manager Paul Lambert is both tatically and how much he has improved players. We have lots of players - somebody has already mentioned this - in the Leicester mould. There are a number of our players that we do not know how they would perform now in the championship and that of course includes Doc and indeed Grant Holt as it is fair to say that he has always scored lots of goals in league 1 and 2 but never quite clicked ( although not many appearences ) in the Championship.

I am a great beleiver in confidence and if we can carry on getting good results until the end of the season and start well that confidence will up each player by 10%.

I also think that if Lambert decided he would not play the diamond in the championship he would sell Hoolahan to fund his 4 4 2.

McNally is certainly convinced that this club can become premiership again soon so maybe from somewhere there will be money for quality new signings but who knows

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Provided we are in the championship I think the main thing we will be looking at is how good a manager Paul Lambert is both tatically and how much he has improved players. We have lots of players - somebody has already mentioned this - in the Leicester mould. There are a number of our players that we do not know how they would perform now in the championship and that of course includes Doc and indeed Grant Holt as it is fair to say that he has always scored lots of goals in league 1 and 2 but never quite clicked ( although not many appearences ) in the Championship. I am a great beleiver in confidence and if we can carry on getting good results until the end of the season and start well that confidence will up each player by 10%. I also think that if Lambert decided he would not play the diamond in the championship he would sell Hoolahan to fund his 4 4 2. McNally is certainly convinced that this club can become premiership again soon so maybe from somewhere there will be money for quality new signings but who knows[/quote]

I think reading between the lines, they told us the reason for not selling anyone in January and what we get if and when we are promoted,something like £3and a half million, so IMOPwe will be seeing Forster in the no1 shirt next season and I''ll just trust Lambert in his choices from then on